test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What gender do you play as?

I noticed that players play female sometimes.

Comments

• Options
    trekthestarstrekthestars Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I have male and female toons. Male in RL but female alts can be fun! I like to see all the other options available for each gender.
    Hey all my old posts are gone! :/

• Options
    boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Mostly male, but I've always also dabbled with female characters as well (my old, now-a-days mostly forgotten, Joined Trill is a woman). I feel like limiting myself to just one gender prevents me from exploring all the creative options for making a character.

And I've always been this way. Had a interesting interaction way back in City of Heroes where I was using a female character and a guy started very obviously flirting with me. Moment I told him I was a guy he freaked the TRIBBLE out and started calling me sick. How am I sick? I'm not the guy beating off to video game character....
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I don't have a preferred gender to play. For me, the gender of a new toon is entirely dependent on the concept I get in mind to create

My main toon, Byron Taggart, is an expy of myself. His appearance is based on my own, with some liberties taken.

Maggie Dalton is an "elevated" BOFF of Byron, meaning that the appearance of Maggie was lifted from Byron's version of Elisa Flores, who was a redhead.

Ruavu Deruno is a Roswell Grey initially envisioned as a mix between Roger from American Dad and Paul from the movie of the same name. Things evolved from there to where the Grey Alien is his true form and he's also a shape shifter (hence his alternate costume with alternate physical appearances... 17 and counting). The Roger/Paul connection is now simply via appearance.

Karatek evolved from a desire to play a Reman female, as the idea of a Reman female hasn't been explored on screen.

Misryath is a Frost Giant Space Wizard and was an alternate form of Ruavu at first, but I liked the look so much that I made him a separate toon.

Tolata is a female Space Wizard whose people evolved from bat-like creatures. She was created to have a Romulan Space Wizard counterpart to Misryath.

Of course, since there was a Federation and Romulan Space Wizard, I had to create Stebanyir for the KDF. For that, I hit one of Ruavu's other alternate forms and tweaked it a bit.

Zeus is, of course, the Greek God, so he's a dude.

Algernop Krieger, like his mainstream counterpart on Archer, is also male.

Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I've seen this topic come up before in various MMO & RPG forums. Based on polls & stats I've seen from Elder Scrolls and Bioware/Mass Effect sources, the typical ratio is 80%/20% of male players playing female characters. (Yes, even with all the folks online who raved about how FemShep was the best, only ~20% played her in ME3).

You'll sometimes find some folks in MMOs getting worked up about males playing females, accusing them of various things. In the end it seems to come down to whether a player sees their character as an avatar of themselves, or whether they just see it as an action figure that they're pushing around in the game world (i.e, is the character internal to them, or external).

Personally, I've never seen any game character as representing me. I also like kick-butt Action Girl types in TV/movies/novels/etc. So, yeah - as a het guy, I play female characters in games when I get the chance.

@boachev
    ...yeah, I've never understood that whole "hit on someone in an MMO, and then get offended when they turn out to be male" thing. I guess I've just always assumed anyone is a male player ;) (well, and the whole "hitting on people in an MMO" thing is kind of weird to start with...../shrug)
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    In STO my roster is half male half female, but generally in these types of games my mains is usually male. In fact before STO I rarely bother with alts and even more rare where they female. Unfortunately STO's endgame being what it is.. making alts is one of the more fun things to do in this game.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Both. I don't discriminate.;-)
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,402 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I've seen this topic come up before in various MMO & RPG forums. Based on polls & stats I've seen from Elder Scrolls and Bioware/Mass Effect sources, the typical ratio is 80%/20% of male players playing female characters. (Yes, even with all the folks online who raved about how FemShep was the best, only ~20% played her in ME3).
    Yeah, but femShep can't romance Tali, so it was predictable. If Liara wasn't femShep romanceable, it'd be about 95% for maleShep. :P

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Yeah, but femShep can't romance Tali, so it was predictable. If Liara wasn't femShep romanceable, it'd be about 95% for maleShep. :P

The real key is to play Mass Effect multiple times. I think I played through the entire trilogy with three different Sheps.
  • Options
    suki36suki36 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Funniest occurrence of the 'hitting on' female characters happened to me many moons ago in World or Warcraft. I was on my Paladin (female) (I am male) and this fellow comes up and starts to hit on 'me'. Well, my brother played the game on the same server as well so I had him log onto his Warrior (male). He does and I say 'Run up to this guy and say the following. "Hey! Stop trying to pick up on my daughter, she's only 12!" '

That other guy couldn't log out fast enough!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Half my captains are males. The other half are females...

.... I suppose that makes me undecided... Or equal opportunity.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    While my main on the outside is female, on the inside she identifies as a Class 2 shuttle. Ever since she was little she dreamed of soaring over M class planets at full impulse. People say to her that a person being a class 2 shuttle is impossible and that she's stupid but she doesn’t care because she is beautiful. She's having Starfleet engineers install warp nacelles, phaser banks, and tritanium alloy on her body. From now on I want everyone to call her a "Class 2 Shuttle" and respect her rights to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations. If you can’t accept her you’re a shuttlephobe and need to check your starship privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,195 Community Moderator
    Uh... *looks at roster* 100% female characters...
    I blame Tomb Raider. :p
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Well my Main is 'Kogar', a male Klingon, and the one I most closely identify with to be honest. He comes from the old FASA tabletop game which I still run every few months. I had to retire him when my GM had no more worlds for him to conquer.

I do have more female characters than male ones but out of those only one comes close to Kogar for personality is 'C.C.' who is a Fed human. She was also from FASA and also had to be retired because that GM died, and going to a new GM was ... well not the same, nor could it be.

Both characters were awesome, and I pushed them to the limits in ways that seem difficult to recreate in STO. Respawns have to happen. as it is an MMO here, but in the FASA game there was no respawn. When you took on something scary, it was scary as in 'roll up a new character' scary.

Kogar was always an engineer and tweaked his D7M a little bit, and I put my character build towards building a grand master strategist and tactician. He let others do the face punching stuff. The most epic moments included counting coup on Starfleet Academy after the Feds had sheltered pirates who were raiding the KDF on their side of the NZ. He used cloaks and followed another ship through the defense grid, then uncloaked and yelled 'Boo' while using tractors to hover a few hundred yards over the Starfleet academy, shot a planetary ahield generator, recloaked and split. The Feds finally did come to the negotiating table though ... :smiley: )

The most epic combat was a Romulan invasion of the Empire. The finale was a battle between his D7M and three Romulans flying two battleships and a light cruiser. Kogar normally uses the cloak but it was a matter of honor, and the entire fight was done showing his teeth the whole time. For the glory of the Empire! :)

C.C. was a marauder if there could be such a thing in the UFP, or maybe more like a privateer! Built to a tactical style she could out draw, out punch, and out shoot most people, and she was constantly badgering Starfleet to implement more experimental concepts like the Kelvan warp modifications. Using the FASA rules for ship construction she submitted a request for a dedicated combat platform and got it pushed through and was testing it. meanwhile ...

Another player was leader of a Klingon house with 200 ships, who raided Fed space and took prisoners (KDF players interacted a lot with Fed in that campaign, we mixed it up a lot). We had one major battle and it was after C'C' got the requested new ship. He had 200 ships and lost about 12, then he took his fleet and ran ( he called it a strategic withdrawal) Pursuit continued to the NZ where Starfleet told C.C. to stop.

With the right tactics he would have won, with many going to an honorable death, but he got panicked, and lost face. He spent the whole trip to the NZ rotating ships to the rear of his formation to avoid losing any from to much damage, and he refused all challenges including insults to his family honor. He did keep the prisoners though (dang Neutral zone!) Starfleet called C.C. in to say "WTF were you thinking?" Well ... she was thinking about the prisoners.

C.C. reminds me of an old girlfriend who was my biggest pre college crush, and my strongest opponent in school student government on nearly every issue. She rolled over obstacles the same way. Her Mother disaporoved of me just enough for it to matter. Good times in spite of the drama. :smiley: )

My current favorites besides those are Nausicaan named Krule. and a Andorian female (KDF alien) named Kayn. Both are pirates who aided the Gorns and especially made rivals out of Orions, and finally ended up with the KDF afterwards. Both are bahdass in their own way as concepts, and I like the way both look. Krule runs around with blades on his arms, and his Boffs include body doubles (covered in the backstory) I went for the 'hotness' with Kayn because ... duh! ;)

I try to have a good story for each toon, so besides that I guess I go for visuals, and nostalgia. I really hate tramping out any of the ladies to be honest. They are officers and they have stories, If the uniform doesn't fit, then I won't do it. "I know that Ferengi is wearing a lot of clothes but you can stop staring at her like that" ;)

Well anyway, that gives you some idea. I play for fun.

Qapla'!
  • Options

Fem Shep was my 'good cop', and male Sep was my 'bad cop'. I could go all out with it! it was fun. :smiley:

Qapla'!
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    RL female & play females only.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options

You'll sometimes find some folks in MMOs getting worked up about males playing females, accusing them of various things. In the end it seems to come down to whether a player sees their character as an avatar of themselves, or whether they just see it as an action figure that they're pushing around in the game world (i.e, is the character internal to them, or external).

Personally, I've never seen any game character as representing me. I also like kick-butt Action Girl types in TV/movies/novels/etc. So, yeah - as a het guy, I play female characters in games when I get the chance.

@boachev
    ...yeah, I've never understood that whole "hit on someone in an MMO, and then get offended when they turn out to be male" thing. I guess I've just always assumed anyone is a male player ;) (well, and the whole "hitting on people in an MMO" thing is kind of weird to start with...../shrug)

Well I kind of see myself in all of my characters. I think that is natural because after all, I am putting some of myself into creating them.

I've always appreciated a good visual for all characters, and female ones are sort of a guilty pleasure I guess. Before I got happily married, my 'Gahd Emperure of the Wurld!' dark side had often pondered what it would be like to be the absolute ruler of all ( I would be a kind and just dictator, really). I used to think I'd invite a different lady to dinner every day, no strings, no obligations, just to enjoy the variety of beauty in the world, and there is a lot there to be sure. The remnants of that desire seem to live on mostly in my Boff selections, but has affected my choices in PC builds also.

I have mentioned elsewhere that Diablo II was my first online PvE PvP shared area. I had a Sorceress as one character, although my main one I liked was a Necromancer. I noticed that people treat you differently based on the visual. I think that speaks volumes as to how the human mind works. Maybe in scary ways. It speaks to bias, and even to outright prejudice. I believe a lot of the 'accusations' and anger that occur with 'wrong' gender visuals are rooted in nature.

Think of gender relations on a primitive level as being a thing each of us invests into, and nature expects/demands that for the species to remain strong there has to be a certain percentage of reliable bonding. No gender has a 'zero' investment, and time is only one commodity of many that are used. Since time used mistaking someone for being of a preferred target gender when they are not, is lost/wasted, then it is possible to see where the anger comes from. The assumption of gender may be a false one, but it can lead to subconscious expressions of attachment and when the 'lie' is revealed there will be a sense of betrayal that comes as a reflex.

Literally, the 'offended' party feels lied to and is hurt. Perhaps stupidly so since what are two toons going to do that has any reality to it anyway? I know there are some folks who like to RP, and some of that gets ... intense, but all of it needs to be seen for what it is. An illusion. The anger may have another metaphorical source, which would be the result of suddenly waking someone from a pleasant dream into an unwanted reality. So yeah, misplaced attention followed by anger.

Time and culture will mitigate this as we become far more used to the variety of artistic tools we have for interacting, and expressing ourselves.

@trekbrony I have to add that you seem very focused on what people do for characters in the game. I'm curious if you are a Psych major or some related field, or maybe an aspiring writer? :)

Anyway, Qapla'!
  • Options
    RL female & play females only.

If you don't mind my asking, do you see your choice as being more about identifying yourself with the 'avatar' ? I know I go both ways where sometimes I feel represented, and sometimes it is more like telling a story. So yeah, curious. :)

Qapla';!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,195 Community Moderator
    valoreah wrote: »
    It's quite simple to tell that most males play female characters. They are the ones who make female characters with the outrageous figures and overly "ample nacelles" if you'll forgive the engineering parlance.

In my defense... my main doesn't follow that. Mostly because... max bust kinda causes the TNG movie badge to clip something fierce. So she's kinda forever locked at about 50% on the slider to accommodate the badge unless I'm going Mirror Universe. Other characters I may have various levels of high bust slider. But at least they're not toothpicks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Only male chars. Not interested in playing with Barbie dolls.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I'll play both male and female characters because when I get an idea of who they're going to be--and yeah, there's a micro-story (or maybe milli-story) behind each one--that determines the gender in the game.

But, as the guy on PVPOnline once said, if I'm gonna look at a butt for three hours, it might as well be a nice one. Is it my fault I find one sort more attractive than the other?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    sarcjestersarcjester Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Just saying, If I have to spend hours looking at a TRIBBLE I prefer it to be female instead of a males.:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Both male and female for no particular reason, but when it comes to Gorn, well....
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Mix.. I have a few male and female characters.

Most of the time I just pick what I want to play and go by what looks best in the character creator. On STO I think it's easier to make females, the males all look.. weird to me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    In my case, I have female characters exclusively, mostly because I find it virtually impossible to identify with male characters. The two or three male characters I created never made it past captain level before I got bored of them and rolled a female one who went all the way to level cap.
    valoreah wrote: »
    It's quite simple to tell that most males play female characters. They are the ones who make female characters with the outrageous figures and overly "ample nacelles" if you'll forgive the engineering parlance.

I find this usually holds true, although much like in Rattler's case, it doesn't hold true for my characters, although I tend to run the bust slider high, I balance it out with the other sliders to create a believable figure. In one case I even ran the bust slider at max and when I asked someone who dislikes the majority of male made female characters because of the bust issue where he thought the slider was, he swore it was set to the minimum.

I've also made so many characters now that I can create a female character in 30 seconds flat which looks more believable than most I see around ESD.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I have 4 chars - 2 male, 2 female.

Sometimes when I play, if I am going to be staring at a character's TRIBBLE for a few hours as I run ground missions, I'd rather it be female. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    All of mine are female, except for a few. 1 Vulcan Male, 1 Klingon Male, 1 Caitian Male, and 1 Ferasan Male. The cats are male only because they look more like cats to me.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    Both. I "detach" myself from my characters, as in, they're not an extension of me. I treat them as separate entities, a bit like literature creations of fiction/fanfiction I write. "Babies", in a sense.

So their gender has no relation to my own. They are whatever the stories in my head create.​​