Install Arc
Options

What gender do you play as?

Comments

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    trekbrony wrote: »
    I noticed that players play female sometimes.

Your point being? Also why does it matter to you?
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Mix.. I have a few male and female characters.

Most of the time I just pick what I want to play and go by what looks best in the character creator. On STO I think it's easier to make females, the males all look.. weird to me.

Much the same, other than some of the alien types the female faces in the CC tend to look better and have more variations IME. That said, I've got around 50/50 male and female. Usually have some sort of concept/theme/light RP thing in mind when I create one and often the gender plays into that somewhat.

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    Only male chars. Not interested in playing with Barbie dolls.

But that's one of the best parts of Cryptic-designed games! I think I have 14 uniform slots unlocked on my STO account. And the number of hero costumes I ended up making in City of Heroes..... whee!

(And STO even gives you more chances, since you can outfit BOFFs and customize ships, too. It's great! :smiley: )
  • Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I play mostly female characters when given the choice. It likely does mean something about me on a subconscious level but I have no clue what.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    rickskynightrickskynight Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I only play male characters. Its not that I have anything against playing as a female character, its just when I set a toon up they are all variations of myself and how I would be in that type of position as a science officer or engineer.

I have an alt account with a cell ship. I did make that toon female just for fun even though shes been level 25 for the past couple of years and only used for her cell ship. I use to get creeped out by other male players following her around and sending her strange and sometimes just obsene messages. I was like WTF is wrong with some of you? This is a game not a virtual dating fantasy!
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    It's quite simple to tell that most males play female characters. They are the ones who make female characters with the outrageous figures and overly "ample nacelles" if you'll forgive the engineering parlance.

My wife maxed out more then a few sliders on her characters back in the days when she still played MMOs. And I know a few gentlemen who play females with modestly set sliders.

Honestly if you think you can tell by looking at the sliders, or even chatting to the player, then you have certainly been fooled at some point.

Some people play the character they want to be, some people play the character they want to control. In neither case is it necessary that a player create a character of a type that meets or indeed fails to meet a sexualized form.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's quite simple to tell that most males play female characters. They are the ones who make female characters with the outrageous figures and overly "ample nacelles" if you'll forgive the engineering parlance.

Ha, only becuase some men have a strange idea of what's attractive.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    OCDishly trying to keep equal number of males and females. But I actually like females more. The Real Endgame (aka Space Barbie) is somehow more meaningful with them.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »
    OCDishly trying to keep equal number of males and females. But I actually like females more. The Real Endgame (aka Space Barbie) is somehow more meaningful with them.

Well if it was a male character you'd have to call it space Ken.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

In my defense... my main doesn't follow that. Mostly because... max bust kinda causes the TNG movie badge to clip something fierce. So she's kinda forever locked at about 50% on the slider to accommodate the badge unless I'm going Mirror Universe. Other characters I may have various levels of high bust slider. But at least they're not toothpicks.

It's funny this comes up, because I really have seen some beautifully done characters who aren't that stereotype, and some show a lot of care was taken not to create a cookie cutter amazon. Just today I saw an Orion who was much shorter and heavier of torso and much more naturally shaped than the standard issue. She was wearing the space-kini and it looked just fine. I also saw a taller female toon in the UFP a week ago which I noticed was also defying the tropes by being slight in a realistic way, and dressed in a nice uniform.

I have also seen some equally good creations for the males, variations in stature, careful uniform work, and it is neat to see. Surely I am not the only one to notice the variations out there, am I?

Kogar is about half a head shorter than most other Klingons, and less bulky in the shoulders, and it does feel odd to be the only one in a crowd of Klingons who isn't basically a line backer.

I actually expect to find that most of us do try to give real personality to our characters.

Qapla'!
  • Options
    hypl wrote: »
    While my main on the outside is female, on the inside she identifies as a Class 2 shuttle. Ever since she was little she dreamed of soaring over M class planets at full impulse. People say to her that a person being a class 2 shuttle is impossible and that she's stupid but she doesn’t care because she is beautiful. She's having Starfleet engineers install warp nacelles, phaser banks, and tritanium alloy on her body. From now on I want everyone to call her a "Class 2 Shuttle" and respect her rights to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations. If you can’t accept her you’re a shuttlephobe and need to check your starship privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Actually, I expect that sometimes she literally gets her wish to be a Class 2 Shuttle ... given the game design.

Qapla'!
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

Yeah, I wonder over time looking at the topic choices, and that is why I asked my earlier question about being a psych major. :)

Qapla'!
  • Options
    I only play male characters. Its not that I have anything against playing as a female character, its just when I set a toon up they are all variations of myself and how I would be in that type of position as a science officer or engineer.

I have an alt account with a cell ship. I did make that toon female just for fun even though shes been level 25 for the past couple of years and only used for her cell ship. I use to get creeped out by other male players following her around and sending her strange and sometimes just obsene messages. I was like WTF is wrong with some of you? This is a game not a virtual dating fantasy!

Yeah, in one of my more excessive moments I decided to see how good looking (using tacky Earth male standards of judgement) I could get a Reman lady to look. It was very much a success from what I could tell ... There was literally someone jumping up and down all around the toon and pm'ing me about it. I kept the character, and I am actually kind of proud of the work since I think we agree that Remans are a little lacking in Earth terms.

Qapla'!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,602 Community Moderator
    About one third of my 52 characters are female.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    RL female & play females only.

If you don't mind my asking, do you see your choice as being more about identifying yourself with the 'avatar' ? I know I go both ways where sometimes I feel represented, and sometimes it is more like telling a story. So yeah, curious. :)

Qapla';!

Yes, I think that's exactly it.. if I play a male char then I absolutely can't feel any relation to it and things become meaningless/I don't get immersed - that's why I even skip games like The Witcher.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    chewmagnachewmagna Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Not ashamed to admit that I play exclusively female characters and have for over 10 years. The last male I made in a game (where I had a choice) was my dervish in Guild Wars. Why? One simple reason. You spend 99% of the time looking at your character's backside, and I don't want to spend all that time looking at hairy man TRIBBLE.

My girlfriend thinks it's weird though.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »

Because - brony. You cannot expect anything about this thread to make sense.

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Both because fun has no gender :3
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    Why would anyone care about something like this? And how can a pixelated character inside an online up game based upon a made up universe even truly have a gender? None of the female chars in the game will ever have to be concerned about FGM. Or getting pregnant. Or rampant sexism in their chosen career field. Or taking less pay for doing the same job as a man. Or having to rely upon their looks to even get their boss to consider them for a raise or promotion. Or having the mainstream media decide for them how they should dress and whether or not they are attractive enough.

Takes more than ample nacelles, a narrow waist, and a big butt to be a woman. But most gamers never think much further than their own juvenile gratifications, do they?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Femshep was awesome.
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I've seen this topic come up before in various MMO & RPG forums. Based on polls & stats I've seen from Elder Scrolls and Bioware/Mass Effect sources, the typical ratio is 80%/20% of male players playing female characters. (Yes, even with all the folks online who raved about how FemShep was the best, only ~20% played her in ME3).
    Yeah, but femShep can't romance Tali, so it was predictable. If Liara wasn't femShep romanceable, it'd be about 95% for maleShep. :P

Fem Shep was my 'good cop', and male Sep was my 'bad cop'. I could go all out with it! it was fun. :smiley:

Qapla'!

LOL Femshep was my "Bad Cop", Male shep was my "Good Cop" :mrgreen:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Femshep was awesome.
    I've seen this topic come up before in various MMO & RPG forums. Based on polls & stats I've seen from Elder Scrolls and Bioware/Mass Effect sources, the typical ratio is 80%/20% of male players playing female characters. (Yes, even with all the folks online who raved about how FemShep was the best, only ~20% played her in ME3).
    Yeah, but femShep can't romance Tali, so it was predictable. If Liara wasn't femShep romanceable, it'd be about 95% for maleShep. :P

Fem Shep was my 'good cop', and male Sep was my 'bad cop'. I could go all out with it! it was fun. :smiley:

Qapla'!

LOL Femshep was my "Bad Cop", Male shep was my "Good Cop" :mrgreen:

Yeah, pity they didn't do a proper default before ME3. Kinda hard to do a full playthrough knowing you get replaced by another actress for the last in the trilogy :)

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Uh... *looks at roster* 100% female characters...
    I blame Tomb Raider. :p

This. Me. Totally.

No One Lives Forever and NOLF2 had a lot to do with it, but Lara was the main culprit, I'm sure.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I only have one female character, & she was originally created for my wife to play. She decided later to make her own account (on console) & I decided to keep the character & use it rather than delete her. As far as how the character looks, I didn't design her, so not my fault.

Papa Whiskey, bigtime.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    guljarol wrote: »
    Both. I "detach" myself from my characters, as in, they're not an extension of me. I treat them as separate entities, a bit like literature creations of fiction/fanfiction I write. "Babies", in a sense.

So their gender has no relation to my own. They are whatever the stories in my head create.​​

That actually mirrors me pretty closely - mind you, which character gets the most attention depends on what kinds of thoughts I'm having at the time, but...

Amusingly, unlike SWGEmu where I would at first glance say I have a 50/50 split (closer examination tells me I've got 5 male and 3 female characters), I seem to almost exclusively stick to male in STO.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    trekthestarstrekthestars Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    ...yeah, I've never understood that whole "hit on someone in an MMO, and then get offended when they turn out to be male" thing. I guess I've just always assumed anyone is a male player ;) (well, and the whole "hitting on people in an MMO" thing is kind of weird to start with...../shrug)

I'm the same way, looking at a toon, is not enough to cause any interest in who the RL person is ... lol. I guess I've always assumed they're male as well.

LOL! I've always made my female toons to be very "modest" but yeah, all of my friends (ALL!) that have played as female toons, have always followed the same "everything maxed" and the rest "min" ... lol. That's the only reason that I have come to the same conclusion. I'm sure women do it as well ... but I'm pretty sure that a lot less do. At least I know that to be true, from playing as an Imagine Designer in SWG. I can deal with the voluptuous figure, it's just the overly expressive stance that some players use, you know the one, it looks like they have back problems.
    Yes, I think that's exactly it.. if I play a male char then I absolutely can't feel any relation to it and things become meaningless/I don't get immersed - that's why I even skip games like The Witcher.

That's interesting that you say that. I do feel that a small part of my personality goes into any character that I make ... but honestly they end up taking on their own story and I'm just a long for the ride. It also gives me a small glimpse into other points of view.
    Hey all my old posts are gone! :/

• Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2016

In my defense... my main doesn't follow that. Mostly because... max bust kinda causes the TNG movie badge to clip something fierce. So she's kinda forever locked at about 50% on the slider to accommodate the badge unless I'm going Mirror Universe. Other characters I may have various levels of high bust slider. But at least they're not toothpicks.

It's funny this comes up, because I really have seen some beautifully done characters who aren't that stereotype, and some show a lot of care was taken not to create a cookie cutter amazon. Just today I saw an Orion who was much shorter and heavier of torso and much more naturally shaped than the standard issue. She was wearing the space-kini and it looked just fine. I also saw a taller female toon in the UFP a week ago which I noticed was also defying the tropes by being slight in a realistic way, and dressed in a nice uniform.

I have also seen some equally good creations for the males, variations in stature, careful uniform work, and it is neat to see. Surely I am not the only one to notice the variations out there, am I?

Kogar is about half a head shorter than most other Klingons, and less bulky in the shoulders, and it does feel odd to be the only one in a crowd of Klingons who isn't basically a line backer.

I actually expect to find that most of us do try to give real personality to our characters.

Qapla'!

I tend to follow the same ideas in that my characters don't really follow a stereotype. Yes, there are some stereotypical attributes involved, but I don't take it to extremes. Every uniform decision and physical appearance choice I make is made with a clearly informed backstory as to WHY.

For instance, as I stated before, Byron Taggart is an expy of myself. He's about 6'0, broad shouldered, and built like a brick s***house. Now, I took some liberties with it to make him not exactly like me. His eye color is different and his hair is darker, and he has more of a Neanderthal look to him, with the wide jaw, protruding brow, etc. I even uglied him up further by giving him a nasty facial scar, but you can tell that he is me... Another interesting side character is that of Byron's Science Bridge Officer, V'arentha. She's a Vulcan who, having spent most of her life off-world, has slowly started rejecting the tenets of pure logic and allowed emotion to creep in, but in a controlled and channeled fashion. Unlike that idiot Sybok who went mad with emotions and tried to set free a cosmic level being, she has learned from his mistakes and is at the point where the Vulcan prudish sense of propriety is gone (reflected in her bright purple-dyed hair, skirt, and crop top uniform) and she relaxes, smiles, and even laughs around the crew from time to time, though she keeps the headiest parts of her emotions under control through meditation or through channeling them in the Holodeck. She also shows deference to other Vulcans who don't know her, however, reigning it in around them out of politeness.

Now Maggie is probably the closest to a stereotype I have. She's a tall redhead with well formed bulkheads and ample nacelles, but I designed her in such a way that it doesn't really look cartoonish or like she just stepped out of Vivid Studios' offices. Quite simply put, she's a tall, well built woman. Not overweight, not insanely Hollywood skinny, but healthy. The best contemporary examples I can give are Kat Dennings or Hayley Atwell. Beautiful women? Yep. Well built and in shape? Absolutely. Standard Hollywood-style super skinny? Not by a mile.

Ruavu is.. well he's a short little grey alien with a bridge staffed by women. To his species, where females outnumber males 10 to 1, another male is seen purely as competition, and competition is always fierce. In the Academy, this became very readily apparent when he pushed himself to dominate the other male cadets, eventually ranking third behind two women. He has no problems coming in behind a woman, but ain't no way he's playing second fiddle to another guy. Because of this, Starfleet Command granted him special dispensation to allow him to limit the number of males aboard his ship, hence why his bridge officers are all female. Given that his species is incapable of normal sexual reproduction and instead relies on in vitro fertilization via combining DNA of two people (only combination, no manipulation or enhancements allowed. They are more strict about genetic modification than the Federation's most die hard anti-genetics people), his bridge officers feel more comfortable with sporting "daring" looks with their uniforms, with some of them sporting tighter clothing, wearing crop tops, and baring more cleavage than usual.

Karatek (my Reman) is actually more realistic in body shape, sporting a smaller bustline than others. She also wears body-concealing clothing and a hood due to protect her skin and eyes from harsher light. Interestingly, her crew is comprised entirely of non-Romulans (with the exception of Tovan Khev, who I STILL feel that we should be able to dismiss once Rinna is rescued) as a giant middle finger to the old Romulan Star Empire and to the Tal Shiar, both organizations that were very intolerant and even persecutory of non-Romulans to the point where it was pretty much "if you ain't Romulan, you ain't nothing." As another giant middle finger, she will wear a black and purple painted Tal Shiar belt with the main centerpiece heavily disfigured when she deals with the Tal Shiar because she just LOVES to provoke them.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I generally play female, though in some exceptions I'll go male like with Remans. I however beg to differ from the rear end justification, and I'm also a minimum boob slider heretic. My real reason is simply because I'd actually find being a female interesting, and such fictional mediums give me the option to explore that fantasy.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I've always played an equal mix of male and female characters in rpg's. Why would you stick with a single one?