test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales from K-13 Part 3!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Captain Ezri Dax must call upon all of her lifetimes to calm Station K-13's time lost Klingons, in the latest tale from K-13.

Read the full story here!
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10295413-tales-from-k-13-part-3

Comments

• Options
    robertjenkinsrobertjenkins Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    NICE! it would be really awesome to bring Ezri Dax and the USS Aventine (a T6 refit) to the game!
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Yup. I could see the T6 Vesta Pack coming next year. As I mentioned in another posts, I could also see us getting a KDF Recruit in 2017 with the next major expansion pack, which would be nice to pump some new life into the KDF side.

Can't wait to hear Ezri in game.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Does that mean we're going to have Ezri with de Boer voiceover?
    And perhaps T6 Vesta as well?

If that's really so, I'm going to have very happy Christmas. :)
  • Options
    velrennvelrenn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    This was a very nice story piece, and I'm going to echo the sentiment of others who said those pieces should be made available in-game.

I have to say, however, that the beginning of it was a little rough around the edges. Kate Bankson got talent for sure, but maybe a little bit of editorial support would be beneficial.

I mean it as constructive criticism, of course, and I do not wish to lower the piece's value in the least. It was a very good read regardless.
    IDIC is the spice of life.
  • Options
    robertjenkinsrobertjenkins Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I kinda figured Ezri would be an Admiral by now lol
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Kahless the Reborn fought with us. He single-handedly turned the tide of an Iconian assault!

That's, uh, not quite how I remember it...
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Perhaps she didn't want to be...
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator

She probably turned down the promotion. Besides... she wouldn't be as old as someone like Janeway. I kinda wanna say she was in her 20s when she was assigned to DS9. Also, if Harry Kim is only a Captain now, I don't see why Ezri would be an Admiral just because she was a Lt. JG when she was introduced.

And I thought Ezri Dax didn't like Rak... Klingon Coffee. I remember she ordered one on DS9, then gagged because it was JADZIA who liked it and not her.

Also I can never remember how to spell the name of that drink.

If this is a teaser of the next Star Trek veteran to voice a character in STO... HELL YES! I liked Ezri. She was cute.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Kahless the Reborn fought with us. He single-handedly turned the tide of an Iconian assault!

she was trying to AVOID a fight, not start one

telling them their reborn figure of legend pulled a major stupid and lost one of their most valuable artifacts in the process is NOT a good way to achieve that

besides, any good tale is generously laced with embellishment - klingon or otherwise​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

I'm almost sure your version and mine are in agreement.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    1. She doesn't have to like raktajino to recognize the value of using it to build a diplomatic bridge
    2. Hell freakin yes if we are getting her in game.
    3. Always love getting more story, thanks!
    4. Despite some players being vocal in not liking that mission, within the story it was the first time the alliance proved the Iconian were vulnerable. Also it was the best death that clone was ever going to have a chance at, perfect for diplomacy. But single-handed? While he did fight alone for a while I remember venting energy onto her to help him. Though it is possible that got left out of the kdf official report.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    Captain Ezri Dax must call upon all of her lifetimes to calm Station K-13's time lost Klingons, in the latest tale from K-13.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10295413-tales-from-k-13-part-3

A minor nitpick: Ezri Dax did not actually like raktajino. After being joined she sometimes ordered it due to being overwhelmed by Jadzia's memories but she did not enjoy raktajino personally.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

telling them their reborn figure of legend pulled a major stupid and lost one of their most valuable artifacts in the process is NOT a good way to achieve that

besides, any good tale is generously laced with embellishment - klingon or otherwise​​

True. Embellishment is one thing though. Pulling a Wormtongue on the other hand...
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Ezri? THE Dax that left Starfleet out of protest because of the Federation - Klingon war?

She's back from retirement?! O.O

Somewhere, out there, a Sisko must be like
    Give 'em hell, old man!
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User

Haha, true. :)
    questerius wrote: »
    A minor nitpick: Ezri Dax did not actually like raktajino. After being joined she sometimes ordered it due to being overwhelmed by Jadzia's memories but she did not enjoy raktajino personally.

Don't forget, that was thirty years ago. A lot can change in thirty years.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Scr*w that, the Klingons deserve to be taken down a peg; they have absolutely nothing to be proud of. It was one of their commanders that wasted an entire fleet trying to zerg-rush the freaking Herald Sphere, and it was them who wasted five g*ddamn years on a pointless land-grab against the Federation that achieved nothing but pouring blood and treasure into a meat grinder.

Cryptic, please stop trying to shill Kahless II as anything other than an abject waste of air who completely bollocksed-up every single combat mission he ever went on. He died an ignominious and well-deserved death because he was a f*cking moron.

Thank you.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options

But after that initial period she was usually seen drinking herbal tea which tends to be mild flavored while the klingon coffee was said to be the proverbial kick in the teeth. Things may change, but not that much.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

But after that initial period she was usually seen drinking herbal tea which tends to be mild flavored while the klingon coffee was said to be the proverbial kick in the teeth. Things may change, but not that much.

They're taking off from the USS Aventine novel series where the authors turned her into Super Dax because apparently "prematurely promoted and totally out of my depth with Dax" psychologist Ezri Tigan wasn't interesting enough.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    starswordc wrote: »

They're taking off from the USS Aventine novel series where the authors turned her into Super Dax because apparently "prematurely promoted and totally out of my depth" psychologist Ezri wasn't interesting enough.

Does that come with a blue anatomically correct costume with the letter "S".
    The novels are to be ignored in my opinion and one should stick to DS9.

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Another wonderful story that I'd prefer to read in my ready room.
    Does that mean we're going to have Ezri with de Boer voiceover?
    And perhaps T6 Vesta as well?

If that's really so, I'm going to have very happy Christmas. :)

Yeah that was my first thought. Nicole DeBoer would be awesome.

ba62f2fe78df02ad52dc1b5560ff49ea.jpg
    Don't let them promote you, don't let the transfer you, don't let them do ANYTHING, that takes you out of that chair, because while you're there....you can make a difference.

Which means by Klingon standards she's doing it right. The point of the story isn't that it's true, but that it conveys what the storyteller wants you to feel. That the Klingon Empire is still mighty and strong and that Kahless met his end valiantly and honorably on the battlefield against an impossible foe, and that it meant something to the war and the people involved.

But he was a Klingon from a century and a half in the past who I doubt would care for coffee/tea/whatever the Trill equivalent is.

I'm more surprised that K-13's food processors can pop out a Raktajino.

Scr*w that, the Klingons deserve to be taken down a peg; they have absolutely nothing to be proud of. It was one of their commanders that wasted an entire fleet trying to zerg-rush the freaking Herald Sphere, and it was them who wasted five g*ddamn years on a pointless land-grab against the Federation that achieved nothing but pouring blood and treasure into a meat grinder.

Cryptic, please stop trying to shill Kahless II as anything other than an abject waste of air who completely bollocksed-up every single combat mission he ever went on. He died an ignominious and well-deserved death because he was a f*cking moron.

Thank you.

I take it diplomacy is not your strong suit?

Also part of her primary function is to be a counselor. Mental Health generally is not about strong kicks to the morale and making these out of time antsy Klingons feel like TRIBBLE about themselves.

And likely insulting Kahless like this would only inspire them to grab a victory for them empire and try to take over the station and the Aventine, the very thing she's trying to put ice on.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

She probably turned down the promotion. Besides... she wouldn't be as old as someone like Janeway. I kinda wanna say she was in her 20s when she was assigned to DS9. Also, if Harry Kim is only a Captain now, I don't see why Ezri would be an Admiral just because she was a Lt. JG when she was introduced.

Not only that but I'm pretty sure the trill lifespan is at least slightly shorter than the human one.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    No therapeutic fishing trips? :D

As for T6 Vestas... On the one hand there were rumours they're not happening, on the other, we have this piece, they fit well the current FE theme, and could be a good basis for a 9-pack we probably getting with the anniversary. Not to mention lots of people (me included) want them, and are ready to pay...
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    I'd buy T6 Vesta pack and replace my T5 Vesta with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    You mean it was one of their commanders who attempted a direct attack on the Iconians, because the only other option was a super weapon whose use would go against every single moral and ethical principle of each of the factions involved. A situation that MORAL IMPERATIVE DEMANDS YOU TRY the normal way before resorting to such measures.
    No, the moral imperative demands you use the frontal attack as a diversion for something that would actually f*cking work, like shooting a Genesis device at the Herald Sphere, popping a sunkiller into its sun, or detonating an Omega particle nearby. The moral imperative demanded that you have your ship pop in and blow the Iconians to hell back when they decided to have a confab in enemy territory two missions earlier. There were any number of normal ways to end that war several missions earlier and get a measure of justice for the billions of innocent people the Iconians murdered in cold blood, but noooo, we had to have time travel nonsense and shill them as Poor Misunderstoods!
    Also, the war with the Federation served the purpose of getting the Federation off their asses and actually involved in the Undine conflict. Had the Klingons done nothing, the Federation would have just sat around, gotten destroy by the Undine, and thus, the galaxy would have fallen to the Iconian menace.
    Oh, so that's why J'mpok was pushing for war with the Federation back in 2387 before the Undine were even heard of, and didn't mention the Undine once when he declared war on them in 2405. Go read the gorram Path to 2409.

Here's what happened again, in case you forgot. The Klingons and Gorn had been shooting at each other for over a decade, then Ja'rod randomly turns up with some unspecified evidence claiming the Gorn were infiltrated by the Undine. The Klingons then just launched a wildcat invasion without bothering to try to get their key ally on board, then, key point, withdrew voluntarily from the Khitomer Accords when the Federation told them to knock it off, which was exactly the same goddam thing that happened with the Cardassians right before the Dominion War. Now sure, the Klingons were proven right in the end, but their own dumbass action of breaking off diplomatic relations meant that the Federation was now no longer under any obligation whatsoever to put up with their cr*p.

Then J'mpok delivers this ultimatum to President Okeg demanding the Federation just hand over several of its own planets, and again remembering what happened with the Cardassians, Okeg told J'mpok to shove his ultimatum up his a$$. Better a justified defensive war with the Klingons than another Maquis mess.

The Undine were only ever the excuse the Klingons used to retroactively justify what per J'mpok's own 2404 ultimatum to President Okeg was an attempt to capture territory on the border. Also! If the war is about the Undine, how come the KDF PC does f*ck-all to fight them until the Dyson spheres, whereas the Federation PC unmasks and kills no less than four?

J'mpok is Klingon Dubya, and you are like a Confederate States of America apologist who insists the American Civil War was about states' rights when every single Southern secession resolution and the rutting VP of the CSA stated they seceded because they were afraid the North would ban slavery.

The Klingons need to get some gorram brains in their heads, and the Federation needs to f*cking grow a pair and stop organizing its foreign policy around the Klingons' fragile egos.
    And Kahless died pulling a King Leonidas, showing that even gods could in fact bleed. Which in turn only gave the Alliance the push they needed to win the war.
    He died pulling down a goddamn Darwin Award. He broke off of a covert sabotage mission to go running right up to the commander of the entire f*cking base, and lest we forget, a creature that teleports and can vaporize people with a wave of its hands, with a bloody sword. He spends five minutes getting his dumb a$$ kicked up one side of the room and down the other before somebody else technobabbled the Iconian (and in typical Klingon fashion got zero credit for it), and then he decided to start monologuing instead of finishing off his opponent before she could heal. And for once in this game the bad guy was smarter than everybody else, because T'ket didn't bother monologuing, she just stabbed him right then and there.

Face the facts: Kahless died because he had the attention span of a goldfish, and his death accomplished absolutely nothing except getting T'ket even more TRIBBLE off at the Alpha Quadrant than she already was.
    I get that you hate the Klingons(all your past posts show it) but come on.
    Wrong. I hate apologists and stupid people. I also hate slave traders.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    starswordc, while nothing you said was false, giving that story to the 23rd century Klingons would not have worked nearly as well.

The Federation has been letting the Klingons off too easily. But these prisoners were not involved with the present-day crimes of the empire. The first priority when dealing with them was to defuse hostilities by whatever reasonable means were available. On paper, there is an Alliance, and it is fact that the Federation has joined forces with the Empire against a succession of common foes. Using this to convince the frozen Klingons was a correct choice, even if Dax did go over-the-top with it.
  • Options
    piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Everything you said would constitute a war crime, that is in many ways worse then what their backup plan was in the first place.

The fact that you honestly think any of that is reasonable only really proves my point.

The rest of your post is nothing but a continuation of the above. It's terrible, and I honestly hope you never get in any position of power.

You'll need to explain your reasoning on how using a doomsday device on a legitimate military target is *worse* than attempting to assassinate an entire race before they commit serious crimes, and alter the history of the past billions of years. Obviously both are acts of desperation and not good things to do, but I don't see how you come to this result when weighing them against each other.

Personally, I'm forced to conclude that the way things really ended was not fully satisfying, but it was the quickest ending that held to the ideals of Star Trek. Then and now.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Perhaps she didn't want to be...
    IIRC, the Path to 2409 states she resigned form Starfleet for some time due to tier refusal to take the Undine infiltration seriously.

She wasn't around to get promoted for a good chunk of that time.

Thank you.
    You mean it was one of their commanders who attempted a direct attack on the Iconians, because the only other option was a super weapon whose use would go against every single moral and ethical principle of each of the factions involved. A situation that MORAL IMPERATIVE DEMANDS YOU TRY the normal way before resorting to such measures.

Also, the war with the Federation served the purpose of getting the Federation off their asses and actually involved in the Undine conflict. Had the Klingons done nothing, the Federation would have just sat around, gotten destroy by the Undine, and thus, the galaxy would have fallen to the Iconian menace.

And Kahless died pulling a King Leonidas, showing that even gods could in fact bleed. Which in turn only gave the Alliance the push they needed to win the war.

I get that you hate the Klingons(all your past posts show it) but come on.

fDgPwI5.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    No, the moral imperative demands you use the frontal attack as a diversion for something that would actually f*cking work, like shooting a Genesis device at the Herald Sphere, popping a sunkiller into its sun, or detonating an Omega particle nearby. The moral imperative demanded that you have your ship pop in and blow the Iconians to hell back when they decided to have a confab in enemy territory two missions earlier. There were any number of normal ways to end that war several missions earlier and get a measure of justice for the billions of innocent people the Iconians murdered in cold blood, but noooo, we had to have time travel nonsense and shill them as Poor Misunderstoods!
    Everything you said would constitute a war crime, that is in many ways worse then what their backup plan was in the first place.

The fact that you honestly think any of that is reasonable only really proves my point.

The rest of your post is nothing but a continuation of the above. It's terrible, and I honestly hope you never get in any position of power.

fDgPwI5.jpg

Not to mention that tired old, "and eye for an eye!" mentality only results in you getting revenge on someone, and that that someone goes to get revenge on you, and so on and so on. Like Picard and T'nea said, vengeance only leads to more misery and suffering.

And Somta, sad thing is many people in power, and those who try to get into power, think just like in that post.

Hell...using an Omega particle would also isolate anyone living in that area of space from the rest of the galaxy, or any mass destructive weapons.....that's like using a thermonuclear warhead to settle an argument.....all you'll have is a Mohenjo-daro.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg