test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mother... @#$% Puzzles..

Comments

• Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I can understand wanting to sometimes turn off your mind, and just do some shallow combat gameplay, but we do have content that caters to that. hell there are some missions in the game like patrols, red alerts, and even some story missions that have very little non-combat content, and the player-base has been asking for the devs to add more non-combat focused missions intot he game for awhile. An no you are not forced to do any puzzles in this game, but if they are part of the mission than why yes you should do them like with the combat option of the missions that can't be skipped, but you do have the option to play an other part/mission/content in the game that does not have a puzzle part to it too.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    I hate when it makes you do super mario bros. Does that count?
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Was there even a puzzle in Echoes of Light?
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    warpgirl69 wrote: »
    so I have a job that makes me think on my feet all day. When I get home and try to relax by playing a MMO, I don't like being forced think that much. I want to run around in the universe that I love and blow **** up. I absolutely DETEST being FORCED to solve puzzles in order to complete missions. I also DETEST that I can't seem to skip that damn mission and move on to something else. If I wanted puzzles I'd play some damn phone game.

If these entry level toddler level puzzles are flabbergasting you , then may i suggest one of those simplistic farming games for your gaming enjoyment?.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »

A bunch of minigames and something that can only be loosely defined as a puzzle. The word minigame in the Temporal Recruitment event was more of a puzzle than the one in Echoes of Light. How is matching the order of the pillars that a hologram activates and matching the rest of the pillar with the top segment of the pillar a puzzle? A puzzle is supposed to test a person's intelligence or force them to look at a walkthrough due to being too lazy.

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    But really, I should've known better. There's nice people in game but forums attract the absolute worst humanity has to offer

Yeah we are all puzzle ****!

https://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    so I have a job that makes me think on my feet all day. When I get home and try to relax by playing a MMO, I don't like being forced think that much. I want to run around in the universe that I love and blow **** up. I absolutely DETEST being FORCED to solve puzzles in order to complete missions. I also DETEST that I can't seem to skip that damn mission and move on to something else. If I wanted puzzles I'd play some damn phone game.

If you think what we have in this game are "puzzles", I have to question how you make it through the day. I mean, all those "puzzles" at traffic lights and using keys to unlock doors and such.
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I REAAAAAAALLLLYYY hate this generation

In my day we didnt have CGI, they gave us puzzles and we liked it becasue that's what the game was about

You must hate Zelda, and 95% of the games made before 2007

I've seen video of kids trying to play some old NES / SNES games like Contra... I laughed as they threw down the controller in frustration because they thought the games were too hard.

I wonder how kids would react if they told to play Zork...

Oh please. the NES generation threw down plenty of controllers -themselves- playing those old, hard games. Getting frustrated with high difficulty is not a generational thing.
  • Options
    zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    If you don't like the puzzles that STO occasionally has in its missions, then look up walkthroughs for the missions in question. At one point I essentially had a cheat sheet with the fastest ways to solve certain puzzles so I wouldn't waste too much time on them when running them on new characters. No shame in doing that either since most of the puzzles in this game are just trivial.
  • Options
    mmankeimmankei Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2016

May I propose that if you're not in the mood to do puzzles after work, no matter how simple, then simply set that mission aside until some other time when you might be in the mood for a change of pace. Every mission in this game is skippable, excluding the handful of short visit-this-location tasks required to start the next story chain. There are no progression blockers. Do something else. All you're missing out on is some trinket reward that you may never use anyway because you already have more trinkets than you can use from all the other missions you've done.

Or maybe you just never do that mission. So what? There's a bunch of pve missions I've never tried because I can't be bothered to wait an hour or more for the queue to fill, and I can't deal with the impatience of the other players when someone like me wants to figure out the "puzzle" of the mission structure myself instead of reading a strategy guide first. I could complain about it and demand that those types of multiplayer missions not be created, or I could go do something else and let those people who for whatever reason enjoy playing the same Infected Space mission 1000 times in a row have their fun.
    I agree with the OP. Puzzles, no matter how easy or quick to solve, should be left out of MMO's in general. IMO, it is one of the ways that the story writers use to prolong the mission, to give the illusion that the mission is taking a fair amount of time to complete. Leave puzzles in games like Mist. Thanks

Prolonging the story with problem-solving tasks describes pretty much every episode of Star Trek ever. It's a puzzle-solving show. The one and only problem with puzzles in MMOs is that puzzles are only enjoyable the first time you do them, whereas MMOs seem to be built around a game model in which you're expected to play the same content over and over and over. Then again, the story is only enjoyable the first time through too, and I doubt that many people want them to stop putting any story in the missions.

I do wish there was a way to make the puzzles fit better with the Star Trek universe without making them too difficult. Like I don't think a technologically advanced species would secure their computer systems with cryptography that could be cracked by anybody who could correctly solve the equation 15 + 5. Maybe the puzzles could be based on much more advanced mathematical theories, which your science officer recognizes and explains to you in such a way that it ends up being almost as simple as 15+5, but you feel like you actually learned something.
    Actually my suggestion is a middle road. Give the weaklings their easy puzzles on normal mode. Skipping them is ok as long as they pay something for it. 1,000 Dil sounds nice to me.

How about, if you get the answer to the puzzle wrong, you trip an alarm and spend the next 20 minutes completing the mission by fighting off waves of guards and murdering everyone on the space station instead of solving the puzzle? I've always wanted to create foundry missions that did that, because the people who chose the combat route would inflate the average completion time stats and increase the reward for the puzzle solvers who read the dialogue and hints carefully. Everybody wins that way. That model also permits the use of much harder puzzles, because progression is never totally blocked for the people who can't solve it.
    discojer wrote: »
    What gets me though is you are the captain. You have a science officer and a super-intelligent computer. Why can't they do the puzzles?

Because you're a Captain Archer style captain (or more likely, admiral), and the concept of delegating any task to someone else completely baffles you. Incredibly dangerous solo infiltration mission? Captain Archer will do it. Carrying heavy objects from the transporter pad to sick bay? Captain Archer does that too, if that's where the cameras are rolling. Pressing the button on the elevator? Doesn't matter if you already pressed it, Captain Archer's pressing it too, just in case. That ship only ever needed 3 crew members: Dr. Alien to do alien doctor stuff, T'Pol to do sexy stuff, and Archer everything else. Imagine Picard assigning himself to that mission where you grapple-hook and zipline around the Vaadwaur base solo. Imagine Archer NOT assigning himself that mission. That's who we're playing in STO.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    You want more frustrating puzzles, you should see some from the Knights of the Old Republic games. Those take some thinking. I remember one particular Math puzzle from KoTOR 2 that was particularly interesting and actually had to ask for help with.

Naga Sadow's funeral? I'm pretty sure I only properly solved that one once. :neutral:

(I'm not sure I ever correctly approached the puzzles in Freedon Nadd's tomb, though... just brute-forced it using savegames and guesswork.)
    then there was that stab-the-dev-****-who-put-this-torture-in-here colored ring puzzle in one of the korriban tombs in kotor...and to top it all off, it's REQUIRED to solve to advance the story​​

No, it's not required. And in all fairness, it's a bog-standard Towers of Hanoi - the assassin droid in one of the other tombs is trickier if you can't get enough info on his inner workings (or remember it). And then there's the interrogation on Manaan, which I've managed to do a few times but have no idea how, or the hunter's droids on Tatooine (I think I blew one up in a recent session, and used parts for at least one other), or the exponential and logarithmic puzzles on Manaan, which used mathematical principles beyond my comprehension during most of the times I played that game...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Wow... cause the puzzles in sto are hella complicated.

That is not the point, they should not be in an MMO.
    Why shoudn't they be in an MMO? There is nothing in the word MMO that suggests "Does never contain puzzles".

In fact, the MMO feature is pretty useful here to lessen the difficulty of puzzles - you can always ask other players for help with the solution.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Fibonacci sequence puzzle in the Delta arc especially made me smile as it reminded me of the kids edutainment show where I learned about it, Square One TV & their Dragnet parody Mathnet.

Fibonacci is as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3.

This game's puzzles are easy to brute force. There is one mission (one of the Breen ones where you interrogate the one in a cell) that can really suck, but it has a walk through on the STO Wiki. I would have HATED being the first one on that mission.

That one puzzle needs to be revamped. Other puzzles are just fine.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    There is one mission (one of the Breen ones where you interrogate the one in a cell) that can really suck, but it has a walk through on the STO Wiki. I would have HATED being the first one on that mission.

That one puzzle needs to be revamped.

Man, couldn't agree more. I hate that mission, if you click one wrong thing you have to do the entire annoying mission over again. I wouldn't mind seeing that one fixed, the clues don't really even tell you what to do. You pretty much have to Wiki or just keep repeating it over and over again. All the other missions have pretty straight forward solutions, even if you can't figure it out, you'll guess it within a few tries.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    There is one mission (one of the Breen ones where you interrogate the one in a cell) that can really suck, but it has a walk through on the STO Wiki. I would have HATED being the first one on that mission.

Man, couldn't agree more. I hate that mission, if you click one wrong thing you have to do the entire annoying mission over again. I wouldn't mind seeing that one fixed, the clues don't really even tell you what to do. You pretty much have to Wiki or just keep repeating it over and over again. All the other missions have pretty straight forward solutions, even if you can't figure it out, you'll guess it within a few tries.

I seemed to do pretty fine, though there have been instances where I wasn't tactful enough.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    But really, I should've known better. There's nice people in game but forums attract the absolute worst humanity has to offer

Just stay out of General Discussion, is my suggestion. The other sub-forums are much better. If I want to post something, it usually goes in 'Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics', which is under the Feedback category. Much smaller crowd, but they are there to discuss the game, not vent their spleen or wave epeen.
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I REAAAAAAALLLLYYY hate this generation

In my day we didnt have CGI, they gave us puzzles and we liked it becasue that's what the game was about

You must hate Zelda, and 95% of the games made before 2007

I've seen video of kids trying to play some old NES / SNES games like Contra... I laughed as they threw down the controller in frustration because they thought the games were too hard.

I wonder how kids would react if they told to play Zork...

The Infocom "Hitchhiker's Guide" babel fish puzzle still haunts me
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

I seemed to do pretty fine, though there have been instances where I wasn't tactful enough.
    Yeah, never insult the Breen by telling him he was dishonorable, and never question whether he should have followed his captain's orders. The mission have a dialog box about what not to do, it's not specific, but it mentions what not to do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    I hate puzzles, especially when math is involved but they are a necessary evil, get over it.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    jexsamx wrote: »

A bunch of minigames and something that can only be loosely defined as a puzzle. The word minigame in the Temporal Recruitment event was more of a puzzle than the one in Echoes of Light. How is matching the order of the pillars that a hologram activates and matching the rest of the pillar with the top segment of the pillar a puzzle? A puzzle is supposed to test a person's intelligence or force them to look at a walkthrough due to being too lazy.

Yeah that's what I remember from the mission, too. Not a single actual puzzle in the entire thing.

Either OP is incredibly lazy or this post is actually from the past, around the time AoY dropped, and only now has reemerged into our timeline.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I agree - this thread has become ridiculous and I fail to understand why so many have hopped on the 'lets belittle someone who doesn't like something that we have no issue with' bandwagon. It really is pathetic to behold.

You can say it, but what's truly pathetic is at some point we went from "better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it" to people broadcasting it as often and as loudly as possible. And then doubling down on the ignorance by looking surprised at the reaction.

Please. Don't tell us "I hate thinking". You can hate thinking, that's fine. DON'T TELL US. You will get NO SYMPATHY FOR IT.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I come from a time when something was hard, you keep working at it till it's easy, and if something is easy, you skip it.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    I agree - this thread has become ridiculous and I fail to understand why so many have hopped on the 'lets belittle someone who doesn't like something that we have no issue with' bandwagon. It really is pathetic to behold.

You can say it, but what's truly pathetic is at some point we went from "better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it" to people broadcasting it as often and as loudly as possible. And then doubling down on the ignorance by looking surprised at the reaction.

Please. Don't tell us "I hate thinking". You can hate thinking, that's fine. DON'T TELL US. You will get NO SYMPATHY FOR IT.

Agreed. There's only one thing that's ridiculous and that's the opening post of this thread.

The rest may be unnecessary comments but most of them are far below in ridiculousness as said opening post. It's not even a puzzle. You just have to watch a holo-thingy and repeat it.

There are no consequences for trying three, or four times while shifting the pillars. It's as easy as what we in the Netherlands apparently call a 'vormenstoof' vormen-stoof-houten-speelgoed-wooden-story.jpg

If that's beyond the ability of anyone here, then I think the person should look at himself and really wonder if it's the 'puzzle' that's the problem.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    The ones i hate are the column ones where you match the top and bottom.. Like the kurland here episode
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »

Agreed. There's only one thing that's ridiculous and that's the opening post of this thread.

The rest may be unnecessary comments but most of them are far below in ridiculousness as said opening post. It's not even a puzzle. You just have to watch a holo-thingy and repeat it.

There are no consequences for trying three, or four times while shifting the pillars. It's as easy as what we in the Netherlands apparently call a 'vormenstoof' vormen-stoof-houten-speelgoed-wooden-story.jpg

If that's beyond the ability of anyone here, then I think the person should look at himself and really wonder if it's the 'puzzle' that's the problem.
    Yeah, you want a REAL challenge? Translate Skrull into English.
    skrull_sig_by_marhawkman.jpg
    No, I'm not going to wait. Sure it's a substitution cipher but it's not a SIMPLE one....
    If you want a little help.....
    http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/30658027/translators
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I would much rather have puzzles than Quick Time Events. Those are a pain for me.
  • Options
    QTE is kinda like making the game Nintendo hard. Either you have precise reactions, or you fail.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    and that's the major issue i had with super mario 64...with those damn wall kicks, if you didn't hit the appropriate button in the precise MILLISECOND, the kick would fail​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,393 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    QTE is kinda like making the game Nintendo hard. Either you have precise reactions, or you fail.
    Well, there is a similar system in Delta Flight, where you have to click on 3 boxes when they reach the correct number. If you have rubber banding, well... Also, there was the "cut the correct wires" mini-game during the Kuvah'Magh mission where, for each bomb neutralized, you'd have even less time before the wires self-repaired.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.