test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lukari Community Ship Voting (Final Round)

Comments

• Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    as for the borg comments, realy in space even with solar "Wind" not much friction/aero dynamics needed for travel. and with the surface area x 3.14the the nth lots more thruster can be placed.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    The Borg design philosophy isn't about efficiency in the sense that there is the best usage of space or surcace - VOY just had them blabber on so much about "efficiency" it really lost it's meaning.

The Borg used cubes because it was all about redundancy, decentralization. A cube was fully functional with three quarters of it's structure rendered inoperable because there was no central command station. The cube is basically made up of "mini cubes" that all work the same and interchangeable to each other. Introducing the "Queen", FC and VOY ironically introduced a huge retcon that turned the Borg around 180 degrees, completely rewriting the basic premise of it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Alpha
    heavensrun wrote: »
    seriously perfect world, why not just have charlie and echo as alternative skins?

Yes! Just make the other finalist skins secondary options because if you look at the voting its clearly not a landslide vote and relatively even at 1 out of 3 for all.

Because that's three times as much modeling work for the same payout. Why would you even ask?

I mean, I'm super disappointed that we're getting stuck with the flying conference phone, but it's just not reasonable to ask for extra work just because the fan base is full of people with awful taste.

(I'm never forgiving you, team alpha!)

Extra work? All of the skins we have been voting on have already been created. Its not like they came up with the art then design the ship after. All these models are fully completed and ready to go, so its just a few button clicks to add them as skins.

At this phase, we're only looking at concept art here. As for the models themselves: why make all the ships 100% game-ready from stem to stern when five of the six gets eliminated from the contest and put on the shelf anyway? It's a waste of resources. They probably have the basics down in 3d, so they can continue building the winner ship with ~15-20% of the job already done.

From here to the anniversary, once we have a clear winner, they'll be working to finish the design the community picks. Until then, I don't expect to see the new model anywhere. Maybe sneak peek screenshots of the ship on the design table at best.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Charlie
    Hmmm....Alpha and Echo look alright, but...I'll vote #TeamCharlie! I love the Jupiter 2 vibe from it!! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
    It looks soooo cool!! Great work on it!
    0?wx_fmt=gif
    Post edited by mooncrystalpower on
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Between the two real UFO shapes, Alpha looks better than Charlie IMO.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    Team Charlie, because flying saucer.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    Team Charlie for me. Alpha is nice, but the shape is vaguely reminiscent of Tholian designs. Echo, on the other hand, I do not like. It looks too much like the re-imagined Cylon Raider from that crappy BSG "reboot".
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Alpha
    rjewkes wrote: »
    When we get these this year though could we have full function? that bs about anniversary ships hitting the c-store later with their coolest feature being pay to win sucks.
    Are you refering to the fact that the Krenim Science Ship had a console part of a set with the C-Store Oddyssey flagships?

• Options
    tullinsrtullinsr Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Team Alpha.
  • Options
    athynzathynz Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Team Echo
    #TeamBatarang! Although I'm a fan of the Charlie one too so naturally Alpha is winning...
  • Options
    chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    Team Charlie for me. Alpha is nice, but the shape is vaguely reminiscent of Tholian designs. Echo, on the other hand, I do not like. It looks too much like the re-imagined Cylon Raider from that crappy BSG "reboot".

The BSG reboot was one of the highest rated scifi shows of all time and a top awarded drama. Also how does the Echo look like the Cylon Raider?
    bd89e657-ce6b-4fa3-96c1-b8ca0ad78221_zpsk8eegdtu.jpg
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • Options
    ejsphcrispejsphcrisp Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    #TeamCharlie
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Team Echo
    Think about this thoguh: Winner is Anniversary ship, second runner up is Summer 2017 ship, and third is the Winter 2017 ship!
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    duncon1973 wrote: »
    Alpha has email scandals, and Charlie is a womanizer.......Echo is the clear silent favorite due to not being heard

So, Echo's the 'Silent Majority'? :wink:
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    aten66 wrote: »
    Think about this thoguh: Winner is Anniversary ship, second runner up is Summer 2017 ship, and third is the Winter 2017 ship!

That's a great idea!

The Breen need a break this year (so they can make T6 versions of the earlier Winter ships for later Winter Events).
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Has anyone considered how much of a pain in the **** it will be to try to fly a ship where you can't tell which direction it's facing at any moment?​​
    I use chase camera, problem solved!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Has anyone considered how much of a pain in the **** it will be to try to fly a ship where you can't tell which direction it's facing at any moment?​​

It's facing the direction that the engine exhaust is NOT issuing from.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Alpha - Simple straight lines.

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Although I voted Alpha personally I really don't mind who wins. As long as the ships does what it says on the tin I'll be happy :) Ship look in game is secondary to me Boff slots and stats are far more important.
  • Options
    wurmixwurmix Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Echo
    I may have voted Echo, but actually i like something from all those designs and personally I would like the combination of all three of them. Looking at the shapes, i think, they could fit together juuust right.
    It even looks to me as if they were ment to be together !
    Take the basic Alpha design, use Charlie as centerpiece (oooh, detachable command/rescue saucer part) and put the Echo in the back as a technical engine/propulsion section, with its glowing nacelles on both sides.
    So why fight, lets our designs combine ! What do you think ?
    B)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    Has anyone considered how much of a pain in the **** it will be to try to fly a ship where you can't tell which direction it's facing at any moment?

No, literally not. Since it's impossible to get confused, as the camera automatically shows you your rear end.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I have no problems with people having a different aesthetic preference. But the reasoning being charlie looking like a fed ship because there is a distant similiarity in a basic shape that a part (the minority at that) of the fed ships share is ridiculous.

What fed ship has a saucer? The TOS designs, cruiser, heavy cruiser, support cruiser and exploration cruiser in canon designs and vet ship and the one t6 flagship in cryptic designs. More triangles than saucers at this point.

I think there is a big difference between a ship having a saucer and the ship being a saucer, so I find this comparision pretty much irrelevant.

I just like the triangle better, but I wouldn't mind the saucer, either. The 3rd option - I think cryptic would be better off making a Son'a lockbox.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dysonsfeardysonsfear Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Alpha
    dragnridr wrote: »
    We finally get an ACTUAL UFO shape, and people want either a flying Dorito or a batarang. #TeamCharlie

They're all classic UFO shapes. They're the infamous Black Triangle, the standard 50s saucer, and the Kenneth Arnold crescent shape.
  • Options
    wurmixwurmix Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Team Echo
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Has anyone considered how much of a pain in the **** it will be to try to fly a ship where you can't tell which direction it's facing at any moment?

No, literally not. Since it's impossible to get confused, as the camera automatically shows you your rear end.​​

I think that works only if you have settings on chasing camera. If you use free camera or follow target, then it really will be quite confusing. Especially in combat.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Team Alpha
    Echo kind of looks a bit like a croissant now that I look at it a bit more.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    Voted Charlie but I'd also be happy with Alpha. It's all good.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    damon7980damon7980 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    gardat wrote: »
    Voted Charlie but I'd also be happy with Alpha. It's all good.

Voted Alpha but I'd also be happy with Charlie. ;)

I like them both, want them both. :smile:
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Team Alpha
    Alpha should win, it's the most ship-like of the set. How anyone can still be wanting the lightsaber handle in the face of two better designed ships... I'll never know. Seriously, it's a frickin' handle! A HANDLE!!
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Team Charlie
    It would be nice to see Charlie surge at the end for the win. A round classic UFO-style option for the Lukari would certainly be different from most other races vessels.