What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

-/ A Cardassian Faction Simply Could Never Work \-

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The point was not about the Third Reich per se but the intent portrayed by the speech. The key portion being '...that under the stress of a national crisis, men - even able and extraordinary men - can delude themselves into the commission of crimes and atrocities so vast and heinous as to stagger the imagination.' You can substitute Cardassian for whatever ('men') in that statement.

Whatever their intentions may have been at the start it descended to the point where we ended up in the series.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, there were a lot of Cardassians that were smart, reasonable people, like Gul Osett. But.... they had crazy people like Dukat in charge.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Dominion killed those 800 Million. The Cardassians had thrown in their lot with the Dominion, who eventually turned on them. And who made the Cardassians part of the Dominion? The 'hero' spoken of above, Gul Dukat.

You know full well what I meant that the Cardassians had ended up committing genocide on the Bajorans. Whatever their supposed noble intent was at the beginning that is not what happened.

And remember, this is all fiction, so the 'history' is Canon, i.e., what we saw and what was said on-screen. You can make up intentions all you want but it doesn't count if it is at odds with what we saw and heard.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    If Cardassians don't get a faction, maybe make a Delta Quadrant faction, comprised of alliance species instead, only for those who have unlocked that zone though.
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »

Whaaa...?

The wormhole aliens were nothing of the kind. They lived in a dimension where time --if it existed at all-- was fluid and non-linear. They had no real comprehension of what Bajorans were until they met Sisko and it was never made clear why they sent the Orbs. They neither invited nor rejected the Bajorans' worship of them.
    /quote]
    Demonstrably untrue.

The wormhole aliens have been giving their 'prophesies' the bajorans for hundreds of centuries - somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 years before DS9 happened (The Reckoning). The same episode demonstrates that they are also willing and able to possess Bajorans in order to make them do their will.

These 'prophesies' are incredibly numerous, and on numerous occasions give clear direction. In several instances the wormhole aliens deliberately and intentionally make clear their position on matters of Bajoran religion (in The Collaborator, for instance, they specifically say who should be appointed to the Bajoran equivalent of Cardinal).

The idea that the wormhole aliens had no idea what Bajorans were until they met Sisko is utterly ridiculous (especially given their role in Sisko's creation in the first place), and one that can be discarded based on the plurality of evidence elsewhere in the series.

As that idea is an inference supported only by dialogue, however, there's no contradiction. In Emissary, the wormhole aliens are merely being deliberately deceptive upon Sisko's first contact with them.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Yeah, there were a lot of Cardassians that were smart, reasonable people, like Gul Osett. But.... they had crazy people like Dukat in charge.....
    Dukat became mad. He didn't start out that way.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    flash525 wrote: »
    He didn't exactly start out as a reasonable person. For example.... the episode where DS9 almost gets blown up because of some anti-Bajoran revolt program he had installed in the main computer...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User

Whaaa...?

The wormhole aliens were nothing of the kind. They lived in a dimension where time --if it existed at all-- was fluid and non-linear. They had no real comprehension of what Bajorans were until they met Sisko and it was never made clear why they sent the Orbs. They neither invited nor rejected the Bajorans' worship of them.
    /quote]
    Demonstrably untrue.

The wormhole aliens have been giving their 'prophesies' the bajorans for hundreds of centuries - somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 years before DS9 happened (The Reckoning). The same episode demonstrates that they are also willing and able to possess Bajorans in order to make them do their will.

These 'prophesies' are incredibly numerous, and on numerous occasions give clear direction. In several instances the wormhole aliens deliberately and intentionally make clear their position on matters of Bajoran religion (in The Collaborator, for instance, they specifically say who should be appointed to the Bajoran equivalent of Cardinal).

The idea that the wormhole aliens had no idea what Bajorans were until they met Sisko is utterly ridiculous (especially given their role in Sisko's creation in the first place), and one that can be discarded based on the plurality of evidence elsewhere in the series.

As that idea is an inference supported only by dialogue, however, there's no contradiction. In Emissary, the wormhole aliens are merely being deliberately deceptive upon Sisko's first contact with them.

Yeah. Go watch the pilot episode again. They clearly had trouble relating to these 'linear' beings and I don't think deception would have even occurred to them before that. I can't help it if the writers contradicted themselves later on and made the religious aspect more overt. I did say that.

The 'prophesies' pretty much all relate to use of an Orb and most of the time there wasn't anything particularly clear about them. They were more like visions.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2016

I say visionary
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I say visionary
    Yeah, but there are many kinds of visionaries. I think Dukat was the kind who has a singular vision... of what they want their future to be and everyone else is expendable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    Yeah. Go watch the pilot episode again. They clearly had trouble relating to these 'linear' beings and I don't think deception would have even occurred to them before that. I can't help it if the writers contradicted themselves later on and made the religious aspect more overt. I did say that.

If you want to ignore everything except for a single episode, you might want to stay out of a discussion of the star trek tv shows as a whole.

There are a lot of things that happen in DS9 not immediately present in the pilot, and blaming the writers for not limiting themselves solely to what a surface-level interpretation of that pilot might lead you to believe is ultimately an absurd stance to take. A well-written show like DS9 is designed entirely for the viewer to look beneath the surface and examine things on a deeper level - and for later events to bring out different interpretations from things that happened earlier.

I'm sorry that you built your fanon version of DS9 out of the first episode and that the cruel writers changed things from what you expected.
  • Options
    flash525 wrote: »
    He didn't exactly start out as a reasonable person. For example.... the episode where DS9 almost gets blown up because of some anti-Bajoran revolt program he had installed in the main computer...
    It was a good program...

And he almost got blown up because of someone else's anti-cowardice program that they had installed.
    Kinda makes you wonder why that Legate thought Dukat was a coward doesn't it though?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    because dukat IS a coward, and that legate knew he would run like a weasel as soon as he lost control of the situation to the point where the self-destruct portion of the program was triggered - so he made sure dukat couldn't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.