test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

cbs and paramount demanding fan films of star strek what a joke!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    who do you think plays the robot!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Ugh. You've done it now.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    This topic was argued to death in Ten Forward weeks ago, this is all a rehash of everything that was said there.

At the time I pointed out that because of CBS Rule 5, Vic Mignogna and Chris Doohan may now be forbidden to be involved in any future Star Trek Continues episodes (a new one came out in May and another was due in September). The reason is that rule prevents people that have worked on official Star Trek Shows or Movies or officially licensed 'products' (i.e., Star Trek Online) to work on Fan Films.

There was a discussion about right to 'work' if they they were not under contract, etc.

Star Trek: New Voyages quietly shut down production earlier this year after 12 years. James Cawley is now concentrating on giving tours of his full 'Desilu' Star Trek Studio in Ticonderoga, New York. Those started in July.

They just had a convention on August 12-14 called Trekonderoga. He has a license from CBS to do the Tours of his 'Desilu' Studio. I think it may be $45 per person for the standard or $300 for the VIP Tour. That Studio is less than 100 miles from my home. We may get there later in the Fall.

Axanar really screwed this for all that kept within bounds.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And CBS was willing to settle without going this far, but then Peters went nuts and tried to countersue. It's like he wanted to force them to do this. That or he actually thought he could bluff them into backing down.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    And CBS was willing to settle without going this far, but then Peters went nuts and tried to countersue. It's like he wanted to force them to do this. That or he actually thought he could bluff them into backing down.

Maybe I don't have all the facts, but from what I understand CBS and Paramount took legal action against the Axanar production. Later on at comicon or something the like JJ Abrams stated that the lawsuit would be dropped, but to my knowledge that never happened. A couple months later CBS and Paramount released their draconian fan film guidelines that basically kill all fan production.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

Maybe I don't have all the facts, but from what I understand CBS and Paramount took legal action against the Axanar production. Later on at comicon or something the like JJ Abrams stated that the lawsuit would be dropped, but to my knowledge that never happened. A couple months later CBS and Paramount released their draconian fan film guidelines that basically kill all fan production.
    Yeah, JJ was talking about how CBS had come up with an out of court settlement plan. but Peters instead opted to bath in boiling oil.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    Wow. I'm new to this whole discussion, but if Alec Peters really did ruin it for everyone by getting CBS and Paramount to take legal action (e.g. rule #5) so that Vic Mignogna, Chris Doohan and others can't do any fan films anymore, then that makes me really pissed off and sad, because I've been a huge fan of Star Trek Continues since it started. That would suck tremendously.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Wow. I'm new to this whole discussion, but if Alec Peters really did ruin it for everyone by getting CBS and Paramount to take legal action (e.g. rule #5) so that Vic Mignogna, Chris Doohan and others can't do any fan films anymore, then that makes me really pissed off and sad, because I've been a huge fan of Star Trek Continues since it started. That would suck tremendously.

Sure it is sad and all, still it is not as if CBS would have done anything trek related in over a decade.

If others start using the IP and stretch the limits of what can be done with legal countermeasures such as we saw are just hypocrite actions of cowards to protect something one can’t make good use of oneself.

In January next year we will have a direct comparison. The fact that they killed Axanar is all the head start proof one needs to show how much confidence they have in their own new show.

Looks like it will be really bad...
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Sure it is sad and all, still it is not as if CBS would have done anything trek related in over a decade.

If others start using the IP and stretch the limits of what can be done with legal countermeasures such as we saw are just hypocrite actions of cowards to protect something one can’t make good use of oneself.

In January next year we will have a direct comparison. The fact that they killed Axanar is all the head start proof one needs to show how much confidence they have in their own new show.

It was killed for theft. It is impossible to know how well the new show will do as we've seen but a single 30 second teaser of one ship.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    It's in direct competition with the new series so they decided they had to kill it. it's sad but understandable.

It really, really wasn't. Really. It wasn't in competition with other fanworks never mind a fully funded and advertised full scale production. It was killed because it was theft, nothing more, nothing less.​​

Oh god oh god oh god, please save us from your self righteous indigent internet psychic "I know exactly why x" predictions. You know nothing more than any of us, so please do us a solid favor and not pretend you have some sort of magical tidbit of data that anyone else who spends 15 minutes of their day reading the synopsis of this case already knows. Cheesus Crust when did people start giving themselves internet detective degrees and proclaiming to know more than anyone who disagree with them.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2016

It was killed for theft. It is impossible to know how well the new show will do as we've seen but a single 30 second teaser of one ship.​​

Yea, Robbin Hood was a thief too.

Peters may have "borrowed" the IP but in front of my screen, where I sit as fan, he only delivered Star Trek. And very good Trek at that. That’s 100% more than CBS did the past eleven years.

True, as far as the new show is convened we have to wait and see. Rest assured my expectations grew pretty high over the Axanar incident.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Peters may have "borrowed" the IP but in front of my screen, where I sit as fan, he only delivered Star Trek. And very good Trek at that. That’s 100% more than CBS did the past eleven years.

True, as far as the new show is convened we have to wait and see. Rest assured my expectations grew pretty high over the Axanar incident.

Unfortunately many people aren't very intellectually equipped to understand the deep underlying story telling of the period social commentary that previous JJ trek told. Another reason why our current Trek is dumb, is foreign markets. Trek is a decidedly a western culture ideal of heroes, villains, and everything between. One of the reasons why 5 year olds GET trek these days is because the simpler the message, the more of an audience it reaches, the more money it makes. Pure and simple cheeks in seats logic.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/06/17/chris-pine-you-cant-make-cerebral-star-trek-in-2016/

"“You can’t make a cerebral Star Trek in 2016. It just wouldn’t work in today’s marketplace. You can hide things in there – Star Trek Into Darkness has crazy, really demanding questions and themes, but you have to hide it under the guise of wham-bam explosions and planets blowing up." - Chris Pine

The grand irony is the people who say JJ's trek is deep and intellectual have more in common with people who believe in chem trails, and big foot, then understand what the writers motivations were behind the scenes in all of the previous series.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Should do what Tuvok did.
    Went and started their own star trek
    With blackjack and hookers
    (and Renegades)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Here's a link to Renegades cast:
    http://renegades.show/home/cast/

It looks like Picardo and Sean Young aren't in this episode. But there's still 8 major Trek stars in it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    wow ! i find that its too bad that cbs/paramount didn't just buy axanar from that peters guy with the proviso that he have NO further contact with the star trek IP, and just make axanar as an actual movie....seems like a win/win to me...

They don't need to buy what they already own.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Robin Hood was a myth. The reality is, stealing is stealing.

But the example has already been given by Sheldon. And as Iconians points out, this idea because it was posted on these forums is property of PWE as well as Sheldon and Adam Sandler.

So here's what we, the "fans" have before us:
    Adam Sandler crashed his space ship on a planet made of pie and he fell in love with a robot (done by Rob Schneider).

I'm going to work up a poster and possibly a T-Shirt design. And hit up wix or weebly or squarespace to get a free site to start selling it. Making bank! If this has legs, some of the rest of you creatives can join in on this Robin Hood exercise. Let's make it happen! To heck with copyrights! Let's just steal ALL the good ideas and go make cash off of it!

I'm in. Who's with me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    The issue is that if CBS didn't shut down this fan project that allowed people to make money off CBS's trademarks (the characters used are trademarked property of CBS, even if the actors agree to play them in a fan project they shouldn't accept payment for their services, this goes double for the actual Star Trek name), if CBS didn't attempt to protect their trademarks, then it would have opened the gates to anyone who wanted who wanted to make money off Star Trek.
  • Options
    You should also know that there's a terrible pie shortage in the galaxy and Thanksgiving is coming up. So mining pie from the pie planet is crucial to save Thanksgiving. The evil Ingrati hate Thanksgiving and wish to halt the pie mining to cancel the holiday. Oh no!

• Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    It's a pity that FASA isn't around anymore to sue Peters for stealing the whole Four Years War/Axanar idea in the first place :)
  • Options
    irm1963 wrote: »
    It's a pity that FASA isn't around anymore to sue Peters for stealing the whole Four Years War/Axanar idea in the first place :)

Interesting that you should mention FASA in the context of IP theft.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2016

How is a film about war set int the Star Trek universe more Star Trek than the three recent movies? Because it isn't. While you have your opinion on the matter that it is about quality, a conflated sense of heroics for saving the franchise, and "borrowing" in the same vein as a thief going into a garage seeing that you are not using your vehicle on how its supposed to be used and "borrowing" it because the thief is saving the vehicle, but realistically it is about an illegal use of the IP for monetary gains. If Peters wins, that means Star Trek could be used by anyone who has the money to pay for it, including Asylum films. Wouldn't that be a great new addition to the canon, Asylum Films present Star Trek vs Transmorphers or Star Trek XIIIV: The New Animotion Picture starring Bruce Boxleiter as CAPT Tim Kirk and C. Thomas Howell as Chang II.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,051 Community Moderator
    The point still remains that Peters did NOT have permission to monetize what was labeled as a Fan Project. The money he got from crowdfunding did NOT go to making the movie. It went to building his for profit soundstage. He USED people to make money. Plain and simple. Axanar being good or not compared to what CBS has or hasn't done is beside the point. The point is Peters frakked up.

Please stop making this about Axanar being a challenge to CBS and focus on the real issue. The guy who spearheaded it and made money off of it behind the back of the the IP holder. It was not a licensed project, there was no official endorsement or anything. It was a fan project that was meant to be non profit and ALL crowdfunding proceeds were to go to the production of said fanfilm. That didn't happen. He took that money and used it for a for profit project while basically stealing from Trek fans hoping for an awesome fanfilm. He exploited them to build his soundstage that would be used to make for profit projects. The way I see it... Peters turned Axanar into a scam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    I just hope Star Trek Continues will still be able to, um, continue, and won't be too adversely affected by all this because I've been enjoying the episodes Vic Mignogna and his team have been making thus far.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,051 Community Moderator
    I don't see any problems with Continues as that is still a purely nonprofit fan project, and rather small time compared to Axanar. I'm certain CBS will be reasonable with the smaller projects like that. All we can do though is wait and see.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't see any problems with Continues as that is still a purely nonprofit fan project, and rather small time compared to Axanar. I'm certain CBS will be reasonable with the smaller projects like that. All we can do though is wait and see.

They are begging as humbly as they can. But I don't see the corporation making any exception right now. And Continues violates most of the fine fan film guidelines.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I don't see any problems with Continues as that is still a purely nonprofit fan project

CBS disagrees.
    1. The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.
    2. The title of the fan production or any parts cannot include the name “Star Trek.” However, the title must contain a subtitle with the phrase: “A STAR TREK FAN PRODUCTION” in plain typeface. The fan production cannot use the term “official” in either its title or subtitle or in any marketing, promotions or social media for the fan production.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I don't see any problems with Continues as that is still a purely nonprofit fan project

CBS disagrees.
    1. The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.
    2. The title of the fan production or any parts cannot include the name “Star Trek.” However, the title must contain a subtitle with the phrase: “A STAR TREK FAN PRODUCTION” in plain typeface. The fan production cannot use the term “official” in either its title or subtitle or in any marketing, promotions or social media for the fan production.

This is really going to shake up Continues. More likely end their run. With these guidelines you can't really do anything with it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    irm1963 wrote: »

Interesting that you should mention FASA in the context of IP theft.

For Trek ? Contrary to myth, they did have a licence to produce TNG material for their RPG. It didn't get pulled until CBS decided that the game's lore was too much at odds with what they wanted for the series.

If you're talking about the early Battletech stuff, that's a bit fuzzier.

• Options
    Yea... the Marauder and Warhammer being the two prime examples from Battletech.