"We now have an official statement from Cryptic..."

Comments

• Options
    p3nnyw1se#1639 p3nnyw1se Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Yeah no...
  • Options
    p3nnyw1se#1639 p3nnyw1se Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    @askray seriously, why are you trying to hide that information? you saw the quotes and the link. I didn't make it up, they said it themselves. So why are you trying to hide it?
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    @askray
    Maybe not well thought out admittedly. But the exposure is certainly worth it's weight in gold pressed latinum.
    MassivelyOP even had an article about the whole debacle.

It's been said even bad publicity is good for business. Look no further then Donald Trump.
    Sorry, not to get political. but you get my point.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    @askray
    Maybe not well thought out admittedly. But the exposure is certainly worth it's weight in gold pressed latinum.
    MassivelyOP even had an article about the whole debacle.

It's been said even bad publicity is good for business. Look no further then Donald Trump.
    Oh yeah I get your point lol. And yep, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    askray wrote: »

Tell that to Melania. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Tell that to Melania. :P
    Okay okay... gotta stop the political stuff. (though good point lol)
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Al Rivera did mention "owning mistakes". Funny, how we haven't heard from him about this particular topic.

Not that I'd ever equate this blinged out Nagus Marauder with plagiarism.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    No politics taken. That goes for WAY more people than Donald Trump, in past history and the present.

I think cryptic should resend another code out for a free copy of the 23rd Century Spacesuits to anyone who did not redeem the code for the Ferengi ship on there account, and say "well, since you missed the big ticket, here is a smaller consolation prize."

To be honest, Cryptic did a bad advertisement job, but on the other hand, they didn't intend (and I am sure they don't intend) to release the code until everyone gives them a thumbs up on receiving the ship. It would be thoughtful of them to give out something smaller as a "we are sorry our loyal members did not get our first item, so we are apologizing with this because we care", however the likely will not.

At the end of the day, Cryptic is not legally bound to do anything to make up for it. They are an independent company that owe's no-one anything for any reason. And there likely hood of them saying indefinitely "Too bad, you missed it, sucks for you" Is equal to them saying "Here is a second chance/second item".

I am not justifying there action or the outcome, and yes I think it would be somewhat distasteful for them to tell people to move on, but facts are facts. And the facts are that they will choose to act and correct this error at there own profit. Like all of you, I hope they do. But for right now, we can only cross our fingers, and like Druk said earlier, we should be happy for those who got the item.​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    Why is it that official statements are never officially posted on the STO game forums?

Because the questions asked by an online media site are more important than the questions asked by people on a forum?
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

This all said - I'm going to leave this thread open assuming we can keep the fire contained and not spread and kill lots of innocent people. I don't want to have to put warnings and what not on everyone due to them expressing how they feel about this situation, but just keep it to a low roar and not trample on the forum rules please. :smile:

Why leave this open if the other one have more substance as well as was the original and this was just a branch off the main one:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1219197/t6-feringi-marauder-how-did-someone-get-this-ship-early

Also, by the way...open disclaimers of prizes is NOT foreign to cryptic. They have been openly giving rewards:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10084263-aei-foundry-challenge-winners

so what gives with the secrecy?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    valoreah wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    The only thing that would make this even better is if we had somebody show up in the thread and say they never spent a single dollar on anything in STO and got the ship.​​

I never spent a single dollar on anything in STO and I got the ship.

To verify, do you say that honestly or just because @Iconians suggested it?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    storules wrote: »

This all said - I'm going to leave this thread open assuming we can keep the fire contained and not spread and kill lots of innocent people. I don't want to have to put warnings and what not on everyone due to them expressing how they feel about this situation, but just keep it to a low roar and not trample on the forum rules please. :smile:

Why leave this open if the other one have more substance as well as was the original and this was just a branch off the main one:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1219197/t6-feringi-marauder-how-did-someone-get-this-ship-early

Also, by the way...open disclaimers of prizes is NOT foreign to cryptic. They have been openly giving rewards:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10084263-aei-foundry-challenge-winners

so what gives with the secrecy?​​
    Because they don't want to say what went on behind the scenes for their decisions? No one here is claiming they have never disclaimed their rewards process, but the fact is they don't have to do it for every, single thing.

As for moderation reasonings - that has always been the same, no reasons necessary. (And please don't smack with a secrecy thing. That rule has been around since we started :tongue:)

• Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Thank you for keeping this thread open and at least hearing some of the concerns put forth.

I join the group of people who could care less about what others get....except for the fact of the "lack" of communication to the rest of the playerbase. I won't tell anyone how to run their business but just leaves a sour taste to see how something like this would not infuriate the playerbase.

To add to this some people did not even spend a dime on STO yet they got the ship? I'm very sure it was a random marketing ploy but there are other more meaningful ways to do this rather than create this chaos in the community. At least that message should be forwarded to management. There is always a more "fair" way than secrecy.

Source:
    Lootcritter
    JULY 20, 2016 AT 5:01 PM
    Yeah.I’ve encountered 2 people who claim not to have spent a dime. One of them recanted and admitted he’s as much a junkie for ships as I am
    https://lootcritter.com/2016/07/20/why-some-people-didnt-get-the-latinum-plated-t6-grand-nagus-marauder-unsubscribe-is-deadly/​​
  • Options
    phinabella1phinabella1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I've been trying to follow this incident to figure out what went wrong, and something smells fishy. Is this a promotion or a giveaway?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I've been trying to follow this incident to figure out what went wrong, and something smells fishy. Is this a promotion or a giveaway?
    It seems to have been a spontaneous giveaway with no advertisement of any kind and very little explanation. Also... apparently it only went to people who were on the email list.... and figuring out if you are is difficult at best.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    It seems to have been a spontaneous giveaway with no advertisement of any kind and very little explanation. Also... apparently it only went to people who were on the email list.... and figuring out if you are is difficult at best.

To clarify for those who may not know, the E-mail list was the one for promotions and notifications and advertisements that you probably never subscribed too or unsubed to save inbox space.​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User

To clarify for those who may not know, the E-mail list was the one for promotions and notifications and advertisements that you probably never subscribed too or unsubed to save inbox space.​​

wall_head_banging.gif
  • Options
    sarreous wrote: »

To clarify for those who may not know, the E-mail list was the one for promotions and notifications and advertisements that you probably never subscribed too or unsubed to save inbox space.

wall_head_banging.gif

That was me earlier. I now subscribed, but it was not really clear when we first signed up. For me, it said it was for new game notifications and ARC updates, never thought it included giveaways.​​
    Support the movement!

• Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    sarreous wrote: »

To clarify for those who may not know, the E-mail list was the one for promotions and notifications and advertisements that you probably never subscribed too or unsubed to save inbox space.

wall_head_banging.gif

That was me earlier. I now subscribed, but it was not really clear when we first signed up. For me, it said it was for new game notifications and ARC updates, never thought it included giveaways.​​

And now they'll just refrain from free giveaways for about a year or so because their list is replete with people they can market spam for C-store purchases! :smile:

Marketing System working as intended.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    phinabella1phinabella1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    It seems to have been a spontaneous giveaway with no advertisement of any kind and very little explanation.

Unless I'm misreading things; didn't they break California law by not following these laws on giveaway?
    1. All the rules, regulations, terms and conditions of the contest.
    2. The maximum number of puzzles or games which may be necessary to complete the contest and determine winners.
    3. The maximum amount of money, including postage and handling fees, which a participant may be asked to pay to win each of the prizes offered.
    4. The date(s) upon which the contest will terminate, and upon which all prizes will be awarded.
    5. Whether future contests or tie-breakers, if any, will be significantly more difficult than the initial contest, and the method of determining prize-winners if a tie remains after completion of the last tie-breaker.5

(State of California page I used)

I will admit that the page is hard to follow *legal jargon is fun to watch, not read* so according to this blog which has the rules for giveaways/sweepstakes, but given they are the same that are under the contest laws in the above state website I've been lead to believe that the rules for contests (mainly the rules of a contest) apply to sweepstakes as well.

For the official record I'm not native of the State of California, thus I'm unfamiliar with all the laws of the state that STO in based in and I'm an not a lawyer in trade, but I'm inclined to think that something is amiss here. Please, feel free to point out my errors.

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Al Rivera did mention "owning mistakes". Funny, how we haven't heard from him about this particular topic.

Not that I'd ever equate this blinged out Nagus Marauder with plagiarism.​​

He did on twitter in a response to someone who got the ship, using his usual view on the player base being haters.

Rather ironic considering Cryptic/PWE being the haters towards their player base, in this case..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Not that I'd ever equate this blinged out Nagus Marauder with plagiarism.

He did on twitter in a response to someone who got the ship, using his usual view on the player base being haters.

Rather ironic considering Cryptic/PWE being the haters towards their player base, in this case..

Well, he's not wrong...​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It seems to have been a spontaneous giveaway with no advertisement of any kind and very little explanation.
    Unless I'm misreading things; didn't they break California law by not following these laws on giveaway?
    1. All the rules, regulations, terms and conditions of the contest.
    This was not a contest. In a contest you enter intentionally.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Being subscribed to the email list only means it's the only way you'll receive the code, if they send you one. It doesn't guarantee that you'll get the code just for being subscribed.

Earlier this year I tried out that Forsaken World game, spent $40 on it, and quickly got bored soon after. About a month or so later they send me a code for free stuff in the game as a thank you for spending money on it. I was like "why didn't they give me that sooner?", but realized it was probably because I stopped playing. I still haven't gone back to that game.

About a couple months or so ago I got a code for PWI for free stuff. I tried that game years ago and didn't care much for it. Haven't played in a long time.

And I've received advertisements for their new Livelock game.

So yeah, I've been subscribed to emails for a long time and didn't get the ship. It would be nice but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure somewhere in the offices they're eating popcorn and laughing hysterically over all the rage posts about this.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    What I think is funny is that they said something about making sure you have the "Recieve E-mail from Cryptic" box checked in your profile. I have it filled in but never get e-mail, and they aren't in my spam folder either ... so there is that ....
  • Options
    atomicmunkey#9096 atomicmunkey Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Could Cryptic just give the rest of us a normal t6 ferengi ship? At least put it on the store...Jesus, this is just horrible PR on their part. Are they trying to make people mad?
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    When I heard the rumors about the ship, was excited at the chance to get it as the summer event ship especially for my FERENGI character. Then heard the Vorgon ship was for that. So thought, must be some Star Trek Anniversary event they'll include it in.

Now, I'm just disgusted. Won't spend any money on a Cryptic game ever again. Not even the Temporal ship I had been planning to buy. I'll F2P grub this game out from now on if I don't just quit playing it.

This discussion has been closed.