test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The hate for the Kelvin ships is ridiculous...

Comments

• Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    calidhris wrote: »
    a) just because something says it's a Consitution doesn't mean that it is. False advertising and labelling is as old as humanity itself. It's like making a sugary-sweet breakfast cereal and labelling it health food.
    I mean it sure looks an awful lot like this thing memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class_(alternate_reality) called a Constitution class... Must mean that that one is secretly some other ship.

• Options
    ccs46 wrote: »
    a) just because something says it's a Consitution doesn't mean that it is. False advertising and labelling is as old as humanity itself. It's like making a sugary-sweet breakfast cereal and labelling it health food.
    I mean it sure looks an awful lot like this thing memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class_(alternate_reality) called a Constitution class... Must mean that that one is secretly some other ship.

Either way, it's beside the point. For years people asked for the Constitution class. They OBVIOUSLY meant the ship from the original series. They were kicked in the nuts and told, "NOPE, you're STILL not getting it" while also being spat in the face as they made the JJ version.

Personally, I found it rather insulting.
    If your mad/insulted for not getting it, be mad/insulted at CBS/Paramount. They are the ones who make the final decision. You shouldn't be a complete ***hole to players who want to enjoy the game in a AU/KT Connie. It's not their fault, it's not Cryptic/Perfect World's fault. If you really have an issue with this go complain to CBS.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    daendae wrote: »
    But it costs so much Lobi... and now I hear people won't even do STFs with you if you have the Intel Dreadnought :( that may be why I haven't encountered any so far in the new STF missions when I do them on my other characters...

I bought mine off the exchange for around 300M EC.

I have never had anyone say anything to me in an STF. I only had one guy that didn't want to be in the Badlands Battle Zone with me, but that was it.

As I said before though, ultimately, I bought the ship because I wanted it. If others don't like it, that's their problem.

It's a fun ship, if you want one, you should get one. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Whoa whoa whooooa... slow your rolls, guys.

I personally don't agree with Abrams Trek. Then again, I disagreed with Star Trek Nemesis and Insurrection, but I love the byproducts of those movies. (Metreon Gas Canisters and Scimitar. Oh and the Mogai.)
    However, when my friend bought me the Kelvin Constitution, I was going to do a sort of, TOS build, blue phasers, maybe try and find a 23c Photon Torpedo, but then I saw these 6 Kelvin Phasers for relatively cheap prices on the exchange and snatched em up.

Orange phasers didn't look right on it.
    Blue ones were too loud.
    Kelvin phasers are too soft-sounding but hey, they look cool.

Then I realized as I looked in my armada. I have almost every Enterprise.
    A, B, C, D, E.. even NX and Enterprise-D-X (Galaxy-X) and now this one. I'm just missing that blasted TOS Enterprise. Once I get that and the Intrepid, I'll have every main movie and show starship that's been on screen. All Trek is Trek. All Trek fans are Trek fans.

It doesn't matter who likes what timeline, how one RPs in the game, or if you jump around like a lunatic, fire extinguishing everything in flamboyant pink robes.

We're all fans. And we all, no matter who we are, or where we're from, we're the same.

P.S. Speaking of TOS, if the ticket guys would get back to me about my TOS uniforms, that'd be great. I'd prefer not to drop 60mil on Kelvin uniforms. Not that I don't like em.. I just don't wanna grind 60mil.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As for Spock not doing anything, as far as he knew he was in HIS past, so he did nothing to avoid polluting the timeline.
    Turns out it wasn't his past (technically) but he still would have altered that timeline by revealing himself.

Also, I've seen nothing bar the odd clip for any of this JJ TRIBBLE, have no inclination to watch anything he makes (which includes Star Wars, BTW the Star Wars fans have my condolences for him TRIBBLE up their stuff too) and from what I've heard of the plots, I'm missing nothing at all.

As for that white pile of scrap that's suppose to be a Constitution Class, the nacelles are far too big, too close together, the ship has been force-fed steroids and other illegal body mass inducing drugs and then someone went and installed massive dome windows on the nacelles and I have no idea what they did to the main deflector, it looks like a giant swimming pool.

As for the Vengeance, looks to me like someone carved it out of wood or something, so blocky and how many straight lines?

Leaving queues because you don't like the ships / players you are paired up with is fine, no problem with that except you might want to find your own team if you need to do that often.

Sending chat / PMs of abuse is not OK and never will be, your problem with someone / some ship is YOUR PROBLEM, keep it too yourself.
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Sending chat / PMs of abuse is not OK and never will be, your problem with someone / some ship is YOUR PROBLEM, keep it too yourself.

Thank you! Also, while I do realize this is Pokémon, I think the same concept could apply to the Kelvin Timeline ships and content.

13627123_1155270717857051_4967566418365068062_n.jpg?oh=03ffd8e76ba34773e36d99250214a0cf&oe=57F29B17

If you want to put it in a new tab in case the text is small, here.
    Kelvin ships are our Caterpies.

latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Im not a fan of the kelvin timeline. The movies dont make much sense. ST has (At least before Voyager) At least tried to keep its science plausable. Then we have JJtrek which brought us numerous inconsistencies

A black holes have strong gravity because of high mass density (or so we believe) It is therfore impossable for spocks magic goo to form one because if it could it wouldnt be storable in a ship without ripping said ship appart.

B black holes crush things. they dont send things back in time or to alternate universes. Im fairly sure that has been established in trek canon.

C A black hole in JJ trek crushed a ship so It cant even keep its own interpretation of how black holes work consistent

D there ship interiors arnt consistent with the brige being all shiny tec and engineering looking like some random factory. It dosent even look like its part of a spaceship.

etc etc etc

That being said as as bad as I believe JJtrek is I actually like the Vengeance and am proud to own one though I havent recieved any in game hate for flying it
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    I've heard this story before, and I don't buy it. CBS isn't concerned with the integrity of the Star Trek legacy, or they would have closed this game down years ago. They're only interested in is lining their pockets, which selling us an endgame Constitution would do. Thus, the entire issue perplexes me.

As for the rest, I'm never an a-hole to anyone. People should be free to enjoy the ships if they want to. I just don't think it should come at the expense of those of us who want something different.
    Well it would kinda ruin the atmosphere of the game. But thats besides the point. We can't get mad at players when it's CBS who isn't budging. I know people want a T6 TOS Connie, but if it hasn't happened in the last 6 years, It unfortunately probably won't happen.

Now that being said:

I still don't get people gripes with the new Connie.

They needed something to revive the franchise.

Remember Star Trek takes place in the future the 23rd century. Well now all the stuff we have now in the 21st kinda makes TOS look extremely dated. So they had to kinda modernize it. I think JJ did a great job on the first movie, he had to start somewhere and he revived a dead franchise. Without the new movies a new TV series wouldn't be happening. He sparked interested back into the genre.

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Whoa, @colonelmarik, nice work on that wall of text on page 3. Very well put, I'm in full agreement with most or maybe even all of your points. :)
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "change the birth dates of most or all of the TOS crew on top of everything else it allegedly managed to retroactively **** up."

Here's what happened. One of the fatalies on the USS Kelvin was a young woman who would have given birth to a lineage that would have eventually stopped a Klingon from going back in time to stop the Kirk and his bridge officers from being born. Without the last desendant of the Kelvin woman's lineage, the Klingon was able to go bad in time, but luckily agents from the Kelvin timelines 31st century were able to go back in time and partially repair the damage the Klingon caused.

They couldn't fix everything, but they fixed enough to ensure Kirk and the bridge officers get born, abit on different dates, which in turn subtle ensures that the USS Kelvin will be in position to be destroyed by the Nerada.

A-B-C-A.

Convoluted, contrived, borderline ridiculous, and worst of all, not at all present in established canon in any way. Thank you for trying, but I'll take the more elegant Cryptic approach.
    As for Spock not doing anything, as far as he knew he was in HIS past, so he did nothing to avoid polluting the timeline.
    Turns out it wasn't his past (technically) but he still would have altered that timeline by revealing himself.

If he wanted to not pollute the timeline, should he not have taken action against someone who was very interested in polluting it? :confused:
    Also, I've seen nothing bar the odd clip for any of this JJ ****, have no inclination to watch anything he makes (which includes Star Wars, BTW the Star Wars fans have my condolences for him **** up their stuff too) and from what I've heard of the plots, I'm missing nothing at all.

Your condolences don't change much... but I for one appreciate the intent. :tongue:

Don't much like what I've heard/read of TFA, and while Abrams is certainly better suited towards Star Wars than Star Trek, I feel that everything else in current Disney canon (like, say, the cartoon with what must be a fraction of the movie's budget) is superior to that particular movie.
    As for that white pile of scrap that's suppose to be a Constitution Class, the nacelles are far too big, too close together, the ship has been force-fed steroids and other illegal body mass inducing drugs and then someone went and installed massive dome windows on the nacelles and I have no idea what they did to the main deflector, it looks like a giant swimming pool.

As for the Vengeance, looks to me like someone carved it out of wood or something, so blocky and how many straight lines?

Eh, the Kelvin Connie actually doesn't look too bad. Cryptic handled it pretty well (I generally have more praise for Cryptic than the source material as far as this lockbox is concerned :tongue:), and while it's not the iconic ship most people (including, possibly, myself) are looking for, it still manages to stand on its own two nacelles.

Vengeance looks awful on the original material, though I've been seeing some potentially interesting variants.
    Leaving queues because you don't like the ships / players you are paired up with is fine, no problem with that except you might want to find your own team if you need to do that often.

This... this is not acceptable behavior. Yes, the ships originated from a mess of a universe. Yes, they're also a blatant cash grab. (Which lockbox isn't, though?) Yes, part of the money is probably going to go to Paramount and encourage more people to follow in Abrams' footsteps.

But be that as it may, no amount of hatred for the items themselves is a tolerable excuse for abandoning four other people, up to three of which may not have even unknowingly provoked you into doing it. Personal attacks on other players, on the way they choose to play the game, are not acceptable.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    zero2362 wrote: »
    Im not a fan of the kelvin timeline. The movies dont make much sense. ST has (At least before Voyager) At least tried to keep its science plausable. Then we have JJtrek which brought us numerous inconsistencies

A black holes have strong gravity because of high mass density (or so we believe) It is therfore impossable for spocks magic goo to form one because if it could it wouldnt be storable in a ship without ripping said ship appart.

B black holes crush things. they dont send things back in time or to alternate universes. Im fairly sure that has been established in trek canon.

C A black hole in JJ trek crushed a ship so It cant even keep its own interpretation of how black holes work consistent

D there ship interiors arnt consistent with the brige being all shiny tec and engineering looking like some random factory. It dosent even look like its part of a spaceship.

etc etc etc

That being said as as bad as I believe JJtrek is I actually like the Vengeance and am proud to own one though I havent recieved any in game hate for flying it
    A. 23rd Century... Future... it's called Science-Fiction For a reason... Also Spock. 69501670.jpg

B. It wasn't a blackhole it was a singularity. Basically a wormhole, this happened in the movie Interstellar, where they traveled back in time.

C. They were probably going for a industrial-esque look type of thing. If you look at most Navy ships today, while the Bridge is high tech looking and clean, engineering is a bit grimy and dirty. I mean it is an engine room after all.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I've heard this story before, and I don't buy it. CBS isn't concerned with the integrity of the Star Trek legacy, or they would have closed this game down years ago. They're only interested in is lining their pockets, which selling us an endgame Constitution would do. Thus, the entire issue perplexes me.

As for the rest, I'm never an a-hole to anyone. People should be free to enjoy the ships if they want to. I just don't think it should come at the expense of those of us who want something different.
    Well it would kinda ruin the atmosphere of the game. But thats besides the point. We can't get mad at players when it's CBS who isn't budging. I know people want a T6 TOS Connie, but if it hasn't happened in the last 6 years, It unfortunately probably won't happen.

Now that being said:

Remember Star Trek takes place in the future the 23rd century. Well now all the stuff we have now in the 21st kinda makes TOS look extremely dated. So they had to kinda modernize it. I think JJ did a great job on the first movie, he had to start somewhere and he revived a dead franchise. Without the new movies a new TV series wouldn't be happening. He sparked interested back into the genre.

I don't know how it would ruin the atmosphere of the game any more than people flying Breen, Ferengi, Voth, etc., etc., etc. ships all over the place, all coloured with Reman colours or Tron glowie bits, with smoke trailing here and there...

I mean, it's only the ship that STARTED Star Trek.
    If I had to guess... Well its a 23rd Century ship in the 25th Century... Also it ruins the Immersion of being in the future if everyones cruising around in 200+ year old ships.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I’m not a big fan of the kelvin timeline stuff (let it be the movies or the new in game items) as well.

Still it’s the only new and fresh trek themed stories and items we got the past decade.

Considering that by themselves they are cool movies I can live with them fine.

Same counts for the kelvin constitution I got for my agent of yesterday. :#

It’s beautiful, especially with red bussard collectors.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    We do not have an endgame Constitution. We have a ship that from some angles looks remotely like a Constitution but which completely falls through upon closer inspection.

To some of us, these ships are just ugly. To most of us, they symbolise a radically wrong direction the franchise has taken.

Abrams Trek is divisive, and that is the case because it splits the fandom into those who love Star Trek the way it used to be. The Trek of TOS, TNG and large parts of DS9, of which we'll only find traces in VOY and ENT.

Now Abrams comes around and in his film he changes everything around. He destroys two of the most iconic locations fans have always loved - Romulus and Vulcan - and portrays his characters as imbeciles. Spock isn't clever enough to figure out he can save Vulcan by walking over to a Federation outpost and warning the Federation of impending doom, new-Spock isn't master of his own emotions and has a fling with Uhura, new-Kirk is a common bar room brawler, new-Sulu doesn't even realise the handbrake is on (or whatever they called it), new-Scott is a complete screwball played by an actor who just cannot do a serious role (love him as a comedian, but not here)... the list goes on - pair that with radically different aesthetics (e.g. apple store bridge, brewery engine room), a shaky camera, excessive lens flares and a plethora of mindless action sequences (something especially Nemesis was guilty of, too) and you get a very bad mix.

And the worst of it all is: Previous re-imaginings of the Trek universe respected what came before. Previous series always added to what was there before. Even Enterprise came out and 'fixed' most discrepancies by saying they were later corrected in the timeline.

Abrams Trek does not respect what came before. It's a mean-spirited parody. Its creators have admitted as much. It portrays a timeline incursion at a pivotal point in the Trek storyline simply so they can completely disregard anything that was released before, and they do it with a vengeance. Into Darkness was not one wee bit better

If you look at it closely, the temporal incursion in Abrams Trek does not explain most differences. Abrams Trek does not feel like it's Star Trek at all. The Kelvin alone, a ship supposedly from the prime universe into which the incursion from the prime universe future took place... it should have been a Daedalus class or something, not this monstrosity. The Nerada is equally horrible. Looks like a bad attempt at doing a Shadow vessel from Babylon 5. Certainly not like a Romulan ship.

No other change in or to the Trek universe has ever been this divisive, no other change has ever been this destructive.

So, long story short, the hatred for the ships stems from a hatred of those films.
    The ships themselves are despised because of what they replace. Because they're trying to tell us (as you has in your intro post) that we've go an endgame Connie now - which we don't because that ship does not deserve to be called that.
    The ships themselves are despised because of what they represent. Because they're the symbol for all that is wrong with Abrams Trek - which we don't want to see in the game as it constantly reminds us of it.

That said, I don't condone hateful messages to other players for flying those ships. The developers try to appeal to a particular customer base by introducing them, and thus they've moved away from trying to please Trekkies. That is not the fault of those players who happen to like Abrams Trek, it's the fault of those who decided to put these vessels into the game in the first place.

This is the reason I asked for a graphics mod in an earlier thread, to allow those of us to have a visual alternative who do not constantly want to be reminded of Abrams Trek through the visuals of the ships, that new uniform pack and (I fear) more stuff to come, without trying to force it on those players who happen to like it.

I agree 120%, this sums up my thoughts fully.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options

Either way, it's beside the point. For years people asked for the Constitution class. They OBVIOUSLY meant the ship from the original series. They were kicked in the nuts and told, "NOPE, you're STILL not getting it" while also being spat in the face as they made the JJ version.

Very true!

We wanted a Connie. And look what we end up with.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    We do not have an endgame Constitution. We have a ship that from some angles looks remotely like a Constitution but which completely falls through upon closer inspection.

It's dedication plaque states Constitution Class.

Missing the point entirely. You know full well it's not the Constitution class people were asking for. If it had been a giant purple bubble with pink wings and they called it a Constitution class, would you still say it's the same thing?

It's a different ship, why would it be the TOS one? It's the KT lockbox.

To some of us, these ships are just ugly. To most of us, they symbolise a radically wrong direction the franchise has taken.

Correct, the Galaxy is a revolting looking unbalanced fat ship and TNG is a mockery of TOS...
    ...Oh, sorry, I thought this was the 70s and ST fans were resistant to change.

I never cared for the look of the Galaxy, but the SHOW followed naturally from the original series. I think the new ship looks terrible, but that's a matter of opinion. In this case, the best thing they could have done is make the ship with TWO models, so you could choose the one you prefer.

Followed on naturally? Really? That explains all the bitching it encountered when it started... hey, that sounds familiar.
    And why would they have given it two models, they're different ships. The TOS one can't use the TMP skin so why should the KT one use either?

Abrams Trek is divisive, and that is the case because it splits the fandom into those who love Star Trek the way it used to be. The Trek of TOS, TNG and large parts of DS9, of which we'll only find traces in VOY and ENT.

So VOY and ENT are also divisive? Did you know DS9 is as well? All that trekking around one station and all that war? Or TNG is? All of ST is divisive.

Voyager and Enterprise are divisive because of different reasons. They had TERRIBLE stories. DS9 had great stories, but of a type unusual for Star Trek. JJTrek is loathed because of its terrible stories and the disservice it does to the established Star Trek universe.

Terrible stories? Nope, not fantastic, but not even close to as bad as the entirety of TNG series 1 or 2.
    What disservice? It's not set in the established Star Trek universe, it's in the KT hence the name of the series.

Now Abrams comes around and in his film he changes everything around. He destroys two of the most iconic locations fans have always loved - Romulus and Vulcan

Who loved Romulus?

I did, for one.

As did I but it's hardly on par with Vulcan or Kronos.

Spock isn't clever enough to figure out he can save Vulcan by walking over to a Federation outpost and warning the Federation of impending doom,

Really? He's just had his planet blown up and you assume he's in his right mind? Really?

Yes, really. He's a trained officer, and a VULCAN. One doesn't get to be a full Commander without learning self discipline, and being Vulcan takes that discipline to an entirely other level. Spock - the REAL Spock - would never have lost it like that.

I really don't think you can grasp what it would be like to lose an ENTIRE PLANET! I'm not sure if you've seen TOS or not, but Spock's not a robot, he utilises several subtle emotions throughout the series, that's why he bothers with the purging thing in TMP. So no, TOS Spock would breakdown from the deaths of about 7 billion Vulcans because he's Spock, not Data.
    new-Spock isn't master of his own emotions and has a fling with Uhura,

And...?

And, it's inappropriate for the character.

No it isn't. He clearly has a close relationship with her in TOS, it just doesn't go much further than glances. I'm not sure where you get the idea that Vulcans don't have relationships from.
    new-Kirk is a common bar room brawler,

Kirk Prime had a father, KT Kirk had an abusive stepfather. Wow, different upbringings can create different people.

Yep. Now explain how the death of Kirk's father changes the procreation habits of the Chekov family (since Pavel is around 10 years YOUNGER than Kirk, or changes the training of Vulcans such that Spock ceases to behave like himself something like 30 years before meeting Kirk, etc.

I'll ignore the Spock thing because you seem to completely misunderstand him, but yes, the Checkov this is a genuine mistake. Score one for Prime Trek, then strike that due to Spock's magic brother from TFF.
    new-Sulu doesn't even realise the handbrake is on (or whatever they called it)

Here you go kid, here's the Federation Flagship, try not to get nervous and make simple mistakes eh?

He's a LIEUTENANT. He's not a rookie, he's been in the service long enough to know how to fly a ship.

Hmm, he's piloting the flagship, something he's likely never done outside of a simulation as he's not even the helmsman who's meant to be there, but also on a mission to Vulcan that's under attack. Gosh, somebody is having to take the reins in such an emergency, and they forget one tiny thing! It could be worse, imagine if their Chief Engineer couldn't understand algebra?
    , new-Scott is a complete screwball played by an actor who just cannot do a serious role (love him as a comedian, but not here)...

Because Scotty was always the serious one right?

Serious, no. I actually didn't mind Scotty that much, apart from his ability to override the laws of physics, as established by the shows (eg. beaming to a ship at warp without matching speed, something they couldn't even do in TNG... there are other examples).

Warp 14. Warp 14. I really don't believe you've seen TOS at all.
    pair that with radically different aesthetics (e.g. apple store bridge, brewery engine room)

You'd prefer cardboard and primary colours?

Yes, actually. I think that's part of our point. That said, I don't DISLIKE the new bridge, except that it's not very utilitarian. I actually LOVE the Kelvin bridge.

The point seemed to be that things should not be updated. I don't like the interior of the KonsTitution, or at least the Turbine Control Room, Warp Core, Auxiliary Warp Cores etc. But I like all the rest of it, the bridge, brig, sickbay, corridors, etc. But this isn't a point against the KT films so much as it is a rehashed argument against TMP then TNG then ENT.
    , a shaky camera, excessive lens flares and a plethora of mindless action sequences (something especially Nemesis was guilty of, too) and you get a very bad mix.

You'd prefer two ships hung from strings a metre from each other with drawn on lasers? I can see why you'd hate excitement.

Strawman. No one ever said that.

Without action sequences, the action becomes stale. 'Mindless' is generally a substitute for exciting when somebody doesn't want to say that. I didn't like the story of 'Nemesis', but I'm not daft enough to pretend it wasn't a spectacle to watch. And I don't even like the choices made in 09. I hated the lense flare, dutch angles, shaky cam, and zoom shoots because it made it so hard to appreciate all the astonishing detail and care that went into the construction of the ships, sets, locations and the whole piece.
    And the worst of it all is: Previous re-imaginings of the Trek universe respected what came before. Previous series always added to what was there before. Even Enterprise came out and 'fixed' most discrepancies by saying they were later corrected in the timeline.

This did add to what was there before, what came before was ENT. the KT builds on that. It's an alternate timeline.

This is debatable, for some of the reasons I cited before. Part of the issue is that Enterprise was so badly written too.

Still, the KT does not contradict or disrespect anything in ENT. It's completely unrelated to any of the other shows.
    Abrams Trek does not respect what came before.

Bollocks.

No, it's true. Abrams even said Star Trek fans would hate the movie, that he wasn't a Star Trek fan.

Oh, sorry, I forgot JJ was the only person involved in the film. Starship Class, Delta Vega, Pike, Cardassians, Section 31, the Daystrom Institute, Sulu's sword fighting skills. The films are full of detailed beneath the surface that you ignore because you don't want to know.
    It's a mean-spirited parody. Its creators have admitted as much.

Not even slightly

Actually, totally.

[ Citation needed ]
    It portrays a timeline incursion at a pivotal point in the Trek storyline simply so they can completely disregard anything that was released before, and they do it with a vengeance. Into Darkness was not one wee bit better

Correct. So what's your point? If you understand it's a alternate timeline why are you bothered?

Because its BAD STORYTELLING. Nothing makes sense and the characters act like idiots. I mean, Spock maroons Kirk on a planet/moon apparently in orbit around a planet being consumed by a black hole. What did he thing would happen to that planet? Why not simply throw Kirk in the BRIG? It was a brainless contrivance to further the vapid plot, and one of many.

In orbit aro... what? Delta Vega is not in the Vulcan system. Are you seriously trying to use coincidence as a argument as to how the KT films are against the spirit of 'True Trek TM'. Are you seriously suggesting that?
    If you look at it closely, the temporal incursion in Abrams Trek does not explain most differences. Abrams Trek does not feel like it's Star Trek at all. The Kelvin alone, a ship supposedly from the prime universe into which the incursion from the prime universe future took place... it should have been a Daedalus class or something, not this monstrosity. The Nerada is equally horrible. Looks like a bad attempt at doing a Shadow vessel from Babylon 5. Certainly not like a Romulan ship.

A Daedalus? I don't think you can count. The Kelvin is a perfect example of a future version of an ENT era ship. All bare metal, turreted weapons, an industrial look, and realistic bridge. And the Nerada ia a Romulan ship with borg bits. Even if you don't accept that bit it's a civilian mining ship. It's not going to look like a military ship is it?

I didn't mind the Kelvin. However, why would they go back to little turrets when they had beam weapons in Enterprise? Otherwise, it was a good looking ship. Nerada, on the other hand was an idiotic design, and no, you don't get to say it's part Borg, because that never appeared in the film. It isn't in the film, you don't get credit for it. A mining ship is a WORKING ship, it's going to be utilitarian. Nerada is decidedly NOT. The interior is as bad, with tiny walkways and no railings, and whatnot.

They didn't go back to them, they went to them. Just earlier. ENT had beams fired from turrets, the Kelvin had pulses fired from turrets, TOS had beams fired from emitters, the TOS films pulses fired from emitters and TNG onwards beams fired from arrays.
    The Nerada is a mining ship, it full of space, where else would it fit all the ore? Asteroids are pretty big things you know.

No other change in or to the Trek universe has ever been this divisive, no other change has ever been this destructive.

That's cute. Every new series had undergone the same amount of hate.

Not true. They all cause a bit of controversy, but nothing like this.

That's observational bias. You're seeing this first hand on the internet. A system of bitching that just didn't exist back when TMP destroyed TOS, or when TNG destroyed TOS, or when DS9 destroyed TNG, or when VOY destroyed ST in general. Hell, even ENTwas on the fringes of the explosion of the internet, it predates Youtube for goodness sake.
    So, long story short, the hatred for the ships stems from a hatred of those films.

That's true.
    The ships themselves are despised because of what they replace.

Alternate Timeline, they don't replace anything.

They replace the ship(s) the fans have been asking for for YEARS.

No it doesn't, it's a different ship.
    Because they're trying to tell us (as you has in your intro post) that we've go an endgame Connie now - which we don't because that ship does not deserve to be called that.

It's dedication plaque states Constitution Class.

A giant purple bubble with pink wings and a dedication plaque that says Constitution class would also be a Constitution class, but clearly NOT the one we were asking for.

I'd fly one.

The ships themselves are despised because of what they represent. Because they're the symbol for all that is wrong with Abrams Trek - which we don't want to see in the game as it constantly reminds us of it.

There's nothing wrong with the KT and the ships least of all.

See everything I said above. Bad writing, bad characterization, ignorance of known science, disregard for the existing canon, disregard for the existing fans, etc.

Oh look, you're describing all of Star Trek. So vague. So general.
    and thus they've moved away from trying to please Trekkies. That is not the fault of those players who happen to like Abrams Trek, it's the fault of those who decided to put these vessels into the game in the first place.

I can hear the bagpipes of the True Scotsman warming up.

On this point, I can understand them putting them in the game. People did want them. However people ALSO wanted the REAL Star Trek ships. (Oh, and I'm of Scottish heritage)

These are real Star trek ships. Unless you mean the ships of 'True Trek TM'? It's a good job they're in the game then. Not T6 yet, but a TOS Constitution will no doubt be on the cards, it's not the 50th yet.
    This is the reason I asked for a graphics mod in an earlier thread, to allow those of us to have a visual alternative who do not constantly want to be reminded of Abrams Trek through the visuals of the ships, that new uniform pack and (I fear) more stuff to come, without trying to force it on those players who happen to like it.

Really? Do you think we can do that with the TNG visuals as well because some of us really don't want to see the Galaxy at all. I don't see why we should have TNG shoved down out throats in this ST game. Everybody knows TNG is not 'True Star Trek TM'.

Actually, I suggested this when the game launched, a client side mod that would let each player play in the era they want.

Pointless waste of resources.

zero2362 wrote: »

J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Now that being said:

I don't know how it would ruin the atmosphere of the game any more than people flying Breen, Ferengi, Voth, etc., etc., etc. ships all over the place, all coloured with Reman colours or Tron glowie bits, with smoke trailing here and there...

If I had to guess... Well its a 23rd Century ship in the 25th Century... Also it ruins the Immersion of being in the future if everyones cruising around in 200+ year old ships.

So is the KU Connie, its like 200 years old. So even that ship is very out dated.

• Options
    edited July 2016

That implies it was dead, it wasn't, it was hiding out until someone who could do stories / plotlines in a way that wouldn't polarize the Trek community or TRIBBLE all over what everyone knew and accepted came along, ie- somehitng not that 'enterprise' drivel that they had to turn into a holodeck mess to avoid getting lynched.

Jerky Jerk shot that in the chest with a shotgun and then zombified the poor thing, resulting in the brain-dead, gooey mess that we got lumbered with to 'revive the franchise'.
    Well maybe if they had STORIES that were interesting and meaningful rather then who is TRIBBLE who and where when they should be doing something else, cheap sex appeal is a lazy and TRIBBLE-poor way of writing.

Really sad thing is that people actually like that stuff, then again he did that Lost thing, where even the writers had no clue what was going on and pretty much had to rewrite history, physics and who-knows-what else to get it to work, thank the stars I never watched it, I'd have gone nuts trying to make sense of it.
    dalolorn wrote: »
    If he wanted to not pollute the timeline, should he not have taken action against someone who was very interested in polluting it? :confused:

How? Did he have full interstellar newsfeed on that (from what I've seen) desolate iceball? If not how did he know Nero was around until mr. high-school brat twitface dropped in and told him?

Meh, like was said earlier, a convoluted mess of a storyline, heard better from nursery kids.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

That implies it was dead, it wasn't, it was hiding out until someone who could do stories / plotlines in a way that wouldn't polarize the Trek community or **** all over what everyone knew and accepted came along, ie- somehitng not that 'enterprise' drivel that they had to turn into a holodeck mess to avoid getting lynched.

Jerky Jerk shot that in the chest with a shotgun and then zombified the poor thing, resulting in the brain-dead, gooey mess that we got lumbered with to 'revive the franchise'.
    Well maybe if they had STORIES that were interesting and meaningful rather then who is **** who and where when they should be doing something else, cheap sex appeal is a lazy and ****-poor way of writing.

Really sad thing is that people actually like that stuff, then again he did that Lost thing, where even the writers had no clue what was going on and pretty much had to rewrite history, physics and who-knows-what else to get it to work, thank the stars I never watched it, I'd have gone nuts trying to make sense of it.
    dalolorn wrote: »

How? Did he have full interstellar newsfeed on that (from what I've seen) desolate iceball? If not how did he know Nero was around until mr. high-school brat twitface dropped in and told him?

Meh, like was said earlier, a convoluted mess of a storyline, heard better from nursery kids.

Very true, who said it was dead? I know many movie and TV series go on a hiatus to give time for better technology, better story to come out, etc. Godzilla for an example went on like 3 hiatuses until Toho brought him back out, in his 50+ year career.

As for JJ Spoof Trek, it went on hiatus to come back in something really horrible. The worst ever!

• Options
    farmallm wrote: »
    As for JJ Spoof Trek, it went on hiatus to come back in something really horrible. The worst ever!

And people thought that they couldn't top 'enterprise' in terms of bad Trek...
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    farmallm wrote: »

Very true!

We wanted a Connie. And look what we end up with.

the moral of this story is, kiddies.. "be careful what you wish for... Q might hear you and that's when the mayhem starts."

that said, i find it very hard for anyone to take STO's sense of Canon seriously when i tour the galaxy with tactical officers being a Jem'Hadar & Breen, Science officers being Reman and a Walking Potato...
  • Options
    sonsofcainsonsofcain Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I grew up on the TMP films. I remember when my old man brought home the Box set. The one where they took the 5 box set and added the sixth but didn't resize the picture of the Enterprise. Must have watched III, IV, and VI hundreds of times. I and V . . . they were horrible. TMP at least had the excuse of being overly influenced by the time, but V was poorly directed, and that's the best thing I can say about it. Wrath is something I would watch if it was on, but not something I would actively look for. But the others were and still are amazing

TNG? Man were those first few seasons rough. Man dress, the pseudo-TRIBBLE of Data, Troi's acting. I didn't even like TNG until they started playing reruns on BBC (and Spike?).

DS9 had the most (re)watchable episodes, overall less annoying characters, although a few episodes were total duds. Once they toned down Bashir, the only real problem with the show were the actors who played the Bajoran, and Jake Sisko, He was bad too, but not in enough episodes to really hurt it to much

VOY? I desperately wanted to like Voyager. The only good episode(s) was "Endgame" and I was left thinking "where the TRIBBLE was this kind of episode for the last 6 seasons.

ENT . . . don't even get me started.

JJ-Trek gave us an amazing cast and an opportunity to do Trek with a big-time budget. OK, they screwed the pooch with some of the details, and the storytelling could have been better. Abrams went too far trying to make it different, but still produced something enjoyable.

I will see the new movie this weekend, and I'm both excited and concerned. Excited because it supposedly ignores much of the previous two films. Concerned because it supposedly ignores much of the previous two films, and because of the Sulu-drama.

But at the end of the day it's all Trek. Some good. Some Bad. ST is anything but perfect, but we love it or we wouldn't be playing this game (which is also far from perfect). If you feel like Cryptic, Perfect World, CBS, Paramount, or the Illuminati poo-pooed in your Fruit Loops then that's on you. No one slapped you in the face, spit in your eye, or otherwise insulted you. If one of your dendrites got broken it's because you got overly emotional about the cosmetic appearance of a fictional starship in a video game. If that leads you to act like four year old who just had his bink bink taken away the I don't want to be part of your Trek. I'll just hang out here with all the cool kids who can appreciate ST for what it is and be thankful that we even have a game worth playing.
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    sonsofcain wrote: »
    I grew up on the TMP films. I remember when my old man brought home the Box set. The one where they took the 5 box set and added the sixth but didn't resize the picture of the Enterprise. Must have watched III, IV, and VI hundreds of times. I and V . . . they were horrible. TMP at least had the excuse of being overly influenced by the time, but V was poorly directed, and the best thing I can say about it. Wrath is something I would watch if it was on, but not something I would actively look for. But the others were and still are amazing

TNG? Man were those first few seasons rough. Man dress, the pseudo-**** of Data, Troi's acting. I didn't even like TNG until they started playing reruns on BBC (and Spike?).

DS9 had the most (re)watchable episodes, overall less annoying characters, although a few episodes were total duds. Once they toned down Bashir, the only real problem with the show were the actors who played the Bajoran, and Jake Sisko, He was bad too, but not in enough episodes to really hurt it to much

VOY? I desperately wanted to like Voyager. The only good episode(s) was "Endgame" and I was left thinking "where the **** was this kind of episode for the last 6 seasons.

ENT . . . don't even get me started.

JJ-Trek gave us an amazing cast and an opportunity to do Trek with a big-time budget. OK, they screwed the pooch with some of the details, and the storytelling could have been better. Abrams went too far trying to make it different, but still produced something enjoyable.

I will see the new movie this weekend, and I'm both excited and concerned. Excited because it supposedly ignores much of the previous two films. Concerned because it supposedly ignores much of the previous two films, and because of the Sulu-drama.

But at the end of the day it all Trek. Some good. Some Bad. ST is anything but perfect, but we love it or we wouldn't be playing this game (which is also far from perfect). If you feel like Cryptic, Perfect World, CBS, Paramount, or the Illuminati poo-pooed in your Fruit Loops then that's on you. No one slapped you in the face, spit in your eye, or otherwise insulted you. If one of your dendrites got broken it's because you got overly emotional about the cosmetic appearance of a fictional starship in a video game. If that leads you to act like four year old who just had his bink bink taken away the I don't want to be part of your Trek. I'll just hang out here with all the cool kids who can appreciate ST for what it is and be thankful that we even have a game worth playing.

This.. good god this..

I mean, it is what it is, the haters aren't gonna detract from it.. The movies aren't any less Trek than anything else that's come before it.. not only that we've got ships in alternate timelines... to me the Vengeance has no less right to exist than either of the Tri-Nacelled Galaxy-X variants folks tour about the place in.

I mean Love of Star Trek is learning to accept it for its highs and lows. You gotta admit it has bad parts as nothing is ever perfect, to think otherwise is rather illogical, honestly.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Now that being said:

You do realize that I am flying around in a Tier 6 end-game Daedalus class ship right?

Let that sink in for a sec. Your position is that an end-game TOS Constitution would ruin the atmosphere of the very game that lets me dominate the Crystalline Entity with my end-game Daedalus, a ship that was out of service by the time Kirk took the captain's chair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trelliztrelliz Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I was going to make some lengthy comments, but then realised that the people its aimed at wouldn't read it anyway. Instead I shall use webcomics and videos to make the same point:

i-dont-like-thing-ok.jpg

ecf774e5065e6d0a0035c7518ce71883.jpg

Chill out, CBS aren't taking your pretend spaceships away. The existence of new things does not remove or invalidate what has come before.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I don't dislike the JJ movies as movies, only the underlying concept of a remake in itself. If you're going to create an all new movie with an all new cast and an all new plot not continuing any existing storylines, in an all new style intended for an all new audience, IMHO you should have the decency to give it an all new name to go with it. Giving it a famous name just to cash in on the famous name seems a little dishonest to me.

If they'd actually called the movies "The Kelvin Timeline," this whole controversy wouldn't exist.

But Star Trek it is and now it's in STO. Ironically, the Kelvin Timeline stuff actually fits into STO much better than it fit into canon Trek. Flying ships from an alternate universe is, after all, par for the course here.
This discussion has been closed.