test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Expansion Ever and Players Love it. True or False? STO: AOY

Comments

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Not sure yet
    AoY is absolutely my favorite. Easily the best reception and technically launched without a hitch compared to LoR. LoR was huge, of course, but so is this different timeline/time period approach to a new faction. In terms of quality, AoY is easily Cryptic's best work, and Cryptic has done amazing things previously. Thank you, devas!

Without a hitch?...Tutorial was broken and just got repaired...so far 2 patches in 24hrs....we will see how it goes. However, far beyond "without" a hitch.fish-5.gif

62741655.jpg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    True
    Last night in my last successful ISA pug, I hung around in my T6 Daedalus and flew side by side with a teammate that was doing a shakedown run on their T6 Kelvin Connie. It was just soooooo cool!

well, we have understood that you have a daedalus, i think that you can stop now.

I get what you're saying. And I understand that it may seem obnoxious. But ... I've got 6 years of the opposite negativity to make up for. You see I've been bashed, trolled and antagonized for 6 whole years by large chunks of "true" Star Trek fans who needed to tell me how wrong a fan I was for:

1- Liking the TOS era aesthetic
    2- Liking the Golfball ships
    3- Wanting to fly the Daedalus of all ships
    4- Wanting to fly old ships that are too small, decommissioned and archaic to work in the modern STO.

Keep in mind a huge percentage of these true fans flew Excelsiors and D'Kyrs and B'Rels and Somraws and T'Varos. And had all these wonderfully pretzel like twists on how THAT was a-ok, but me wanting to fly a Top Tier Deed was off the charts cray!

After all that time of consistent forum needling, I think I'm going to ride out my happiness wave for a bit longer.

Every Borg Tactical Cube my DeedleDerp Vaporizes makes me enjoy AoY that much more! Every T6 Kelvin Connie I fly next to makes me smile. When I finally get a T6 Connie for my main ... my elation will likely achieve warp velocity.

TLDR: You all had your fun for 6 years. Now I get to have some!

#elitegolfballship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    False
    You see I've been bashed, trolled and antagonized for 6 whole years by large chunks of "true" Star Trek fans who needed to tell me how wrong a fan I was for:

1- Liking the TOS era aesthetic
    2- Liking the Golfball ships
    3- Wanting to fly the Daedalus of all ships
    4- Wanting to fly old ships that are too small, decommissioned and archaic to work in the modern STO.

yes, I understand. in france we have a proverb: tous les goûts sont dans la nature (all tastes are in nature or Everyone has different tastes - sorry if the translation is not good). don't listen the others.

btw, I'm happy that you like your new ship. :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    So far (being at level 20 now), I mostly like it. But LoR worked way better for me.

Especially the part where your new TOS character is supposed to pretend not to be a TOS character any more was really a downer, by the way. It was like "and now, please pretend to no longer pretend to be a 23rd century captain". If I did not want to pretend that, why would I play a TOS captain?
    Same here.
    99.99% of the players don't care about stuff like that anyway, lol.
    more like cryptic will say is a sucess because of how much money it makes not weather people like it.
    its the face of mmos now a days, no longer is it how can we keep people engaged and having fun its how much can we swindle out of them.
    The two are linked though. Or do you think people spend the same regardless of whether they like what they're buying?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    False
    The two are linked though. Or do you think people spend the same regardless of whether they like what they're buying?

Not necessarily. It rather depends on how many "more money than sense" whales you're catering to with this stuff. Some people will throw thousands at garbage just...because. It skews the average quite a bit.
  • warpnugget#0537 warpnugget Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    False
    lol what expansion? The "expansion" here only applied to the z-store, otherwise we got next to nothing.

This doesn't even come close to LOR "or" DR, im thinking STO is heading out to pasture.

lets hope you're right but i think this game still has some steam in it,dumb stupid whales who spend hundred of dollars on glorified mounts aka ships are the ones empowering cryptic not to give a damn and release a subpar product.

well,still got about 10 years or so worth of good gaming in me,hopefully this game will be seen for the pew pew travesty of of the star trek ip that it is and will die someday,after that we can only hope some other devs who REALLY CARE picks it up and maybe then finally we can get the mmo we deserve.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    hyefather wrote: »
    Best Expansion Ever and Players Love it. True or False?

Well, this question is perfectly rational and not flamebait at all. *snrk*

More seriously, it's kind of hard to answer as written. Best expansion ever? Absolutely not. But this here player does love it, as does one of her best friends and a bunch of other STO-playing folks she knows. :) So, the first part is false while the second part is true, IMO.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    False
    iconians wrote: »
    AoY doesn't hold a candle to Legacy of Romulus, but I think it was better than Delta Rising in terms of design and execution.​​

^ This. Thanks for coming up with a more succinct version for me.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    well, i did the first 3. i love the look and nostalgic feelings and some characters and details. However when the villain is introduced I have to say I was very disappointed. I get why it is this way, but still, disappointed.

will enjoy collecting tons of blue weapons and oldtime officers, climb aboard the Ranger and set course for deep space.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    False
    Thus far I have only played the 6 missions in the AoY story arc. I have not played the 3 or 4 missions in the Yesterday's War story arc or the two new missions added to Future Proof.

I do not consider the two missions added to Future Proof as part of the expansion though. That is because I believe that story arc could have simply continued without the AoY Expansion. The two new missions would have probably been different, but nevertheless, with or without AoY, the Future Proof story arc would have continued.

Overall, I did like the 6 TOS missions. It was nice that the game included art assets to give a TOS like atmosphere to the game, but with only 6 mission it is over all too quickly.

Based on how I was handling the final battle before your ship gets destroyed... I would have survived. It was tough, but I would have been able to finished off all the Klingon starships using a combination of hit & run / tanking tactics (I created a tactical captain). So, I basically "lost" because the story demanded that I loose the battle.

As of yet, I have no opinion on the 3 or 4 missions in Yesterday's War. But 9 or 10 missions (excluding the new missions in Future Proof) does not really feel like much of an expansion to me. Even with the new ships this does not feel like a full expansion; of which I will only buy the T6 Eternal when it goes on sale.

Having said, that I appreciate the effort Cryptic has put into the 6 TOS missions because it has a different art / effect direction compared to the "modern" era of STO. I am sure costs and development time would have been much less if the devs did not have give STO the "classic" feel of the original series, but instead just used existing assets and new assets following the same "modern" theme.

I would say this is a decent mini-expansion that gives the game a different feel to it although it is very brief. At least people who are huge fans of TOS and also prefer playing the Fed faction will be able to enjoy AoY more than I would.

• tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    My issue is that it adds very little to the game. A handful of missions to get a fed from 0-10. I say a fed because after those missions and you're in the current timeline what is there that makes you special? Hell, they even try and get you to change your unifo to the odyssey uniform. What would have been better is if it was 0-50 in the TOS era and then integrate you into the current timeline. This was more like a season from some years back when we would get the featured series. Seasons today suck too because we get 1 or two episodes and then back to the grind.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    TOS Starfleet getting to use the awesome old-school ESD as their 'New Romulus Command' would be cool.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    edited July 2016
    True
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    TI do not consider the two missions added to Future Proof as part of the expansion though. That is because I believe that story arc could have simply continued without the AoY Expansion. The two new missions would have probably been different, but nevertheless, with or without AoY, the Future Proof story arc would have continued.

While I see your point I have to disagree with that one. Basically, Future Proof was designed to be part of AoY right from the get-go (well not like PART of it, but the lead up to it).

And I mean, look at the "cardassian" arc. It's got the entire Dominion Feature Episode story smooshed into it now. That's not how that originally went. But that's how it is now.

The Borg arc has the Undine story smooshed into it. Same kind of deal there. So yeah, I get what you're saying, but STO has retconned and adjusted it's story arc progression narrative quite a bit over the years so I'm definitely ok with accepting Future Proof as part of this expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    False
    It's not the best expansion ever, there's a lot of good things in this expansion but it's also falling short in quite a few areas.

* Level 10 exit to regular missions instead of the later 30 (I think?) for Legacy of Romulus. To short.
    * No 23rd century weapons in the crafting options. Dual beam arrays please!

While some of the TOS UI elements seem to stick with you after you go to the 25th century there could have been more things that stuck like an updated modern sector space map that is 23rd century style. That would have been nice to have since there aren't as many new missions like we got with LoR.

Another thing thing would be to give KFD players access to TOS style Klingons as well as TOS (rubber suit) Gorn. Also the cloths from Gorn and Orions in the TOS time would be nice to haves along with any ships/bridges from that time period.

Again it's pretty good for what was delivered, but I really feel there should have been more 23rd century missions in the starting levels as well as some missed content potential for other factions.

Side Note: The Tholian ships from the TOS time looked more like modern Tholian ships. But that's just me nit picking.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    False
    It's light on new missions compared to other expansions and full of questionable design choices, but I do enjoy it ... honestly I don't know which way I'd go on this one, for everything they got right there's something else that, in my eyes, they got really wrong.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    False
    I hard to be disapointed with cryptic, to be honest. Not beacose they dont fail, beacose they do fail so much that you dont expect anything from them. But until lvl 10 I was enjoy STO for first time in years (last year I bearly play tho), but then I hit the wall in lvl 10 and realise that it was the same TRIBBLE all over again and I am not going to do that.. I wont play another normal lvl fed character just to have some TOS animations (Not even we can use the TOS Conni on T6, but we can the JJ Conni, lol).

Good work cryptic, you bring me back to the game for just 1 day, now I am out agin.

Cerri out.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    False
    As much as I ended up disliking Delta Rising, it still added to STO way more than AoY. Honestly, AoY feels more like an especially large season, rather than a full-blown expansion.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Not sure yet
    well, i did the first 3. i love the look and nostalgic feelings and some characters and details. However when the villain is introduced I have to say I was very disappointed. I get why it is this way, but still, disappointed.

will enjoy collecting tons of blue weapons and oldtime officers, climb aboard the Ranger and set course for deep space.

Didn't you mention to quit STO?
    confirmed, my time here is drawing to a close. will make the most of the remains.
    ​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    True
    As much as I ended up disliking Delta Rising, it still added to STO way more than AoY. Honestly, AoY feels more like an especially large season, rather than a full-blown expansion.

On a scale of 1 to Everquest, is Agents of Yesterday more like Legacy of Ykesha, Scars of Velious or Planes of Power?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    False

On a scale of 1 to Everquest, is Agents of Yesterday more like Legacy of Ykesha, Scars of Velious or Planes of Power?

Everquest was a bit before my time I fear, so whatever point you're attempting to make is a tad lost on me.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Not sure yet

Scars of Vellious was pretty big - but substitute it with "Lost Dungeons of Norrath" and your analogy is quite accurate. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    True

Scars of Vellious was pretty big - but substitute it with "Lost Dungeons of Norrath" and your analogy is quite accurate. ;)

LDoN! I almost completely forgot about that one. Yeah, I can see it. Totally an LDoN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    False
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    It doesn't include anything of interest to me. LoR was the better expansion imho.

Yeah i think it was made for the fanboys of jj verse and the T6 connie crowd for money. And it seems to have worked because i see a ton of those lockbox ships and that lobi one. So for PWE they have made good money off it so far.
    True
    jarfaru wrote: »
    It doesn't include anything of interest to me. LoR was the better expansion imho.

Yeah i think it was made for the fanboys of jj verse and the T6 connie crowd for money. And it seems to have worked because i see a ton of those lockbox ships and that lobi one. So for PWE they have made good money off it so far.

That's cool. But let's switch around some of the words in your quote and take a temporal trip back in time to the heyday of Legacy of Romulus ... as I think your exact point would qualify almost beat for beat when applied to that expansion:

Was Legacy of Romulus the best expansion ever?

"Yeah i think it was made for the fanboys of Nemesis and the T5 Romulan Ship crowd for money. And it seems to have worked because i see a ton of those Romulan ships and that Flagship one. So for PWE they have made good money off it so far."

See, that's the thing right? Way back then, alllllll the Romulan fans got their heart's desire. Great. Awesome. It's 2016 and now the TOS fans can get their heart's desire! You all still have your Excelsiors, Galaxy X's, Cloaked Defiants, Romulan warbirds, and so on and so forth. Which is awesome. It's all still there!

But ... now there's something that a bunch of the rest of us wanted.

Yet apparently this is a bad thing? Because ... ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    True
    I never expected this 'expansion' to be more than a tie-in to the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek. It is a one shot deal which has little more in it than this. Since I kept my expectations small, I am not disappointed by the size or scope of the thing.

Had I let my speculation run wild and blithely assumed this would be the same size and scope of LoR or DR, I then would have
    set myself up for disappointment. Which would be no one else's fault but my own.

I have enjoyed the parts of it I have played so far. It is nice little nod to the series which started all of this thing we call Star Trek.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    False
    I think AOY shittted the bed after the first mission.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    False
    jarfaru wrote: »

That's cool. But let's switch around some of the words in your quote and take a temporal trip back in time to the heyday of Legacy of Romulus ... as I think your exact point would qualify almost beat for beat when applied to that expansion:

Was Legacy of Romulus the best expansion ever?

"Yeah i think it was made for the fanboys of Nemesis and the T5 Romulan Ship crowd for money. And it seems to have worked because i see a ton of those Romulan ships and that Flagship one. So for PWE they have made good money off it so far."

See, that's the thing right? Way back then, alllllll the Romulan fans got their heart's desire. Great. Awesome. It's 2016 and now the TOS fans can get their heart's desire! You all still have your Excelsiors, Galaxy X's, Cloaked Defiants, Romulan warbirds, and so on and so forth. Which is awesome. It's all still there!

But ... now there's something that a bunch of the rest of us wanted.

Yet apparently this is a bad thing? Because ... ?

My problem is that LoR had a bunch more missions.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    False
    I don't think they will ever top LoR. I enjoyed this new expansion, the new missions, the nostalgia that they managed to insert all over the place, but there just isn't enough content. You hit level 10 and it's all over. I don't understand how this is an expansion or how they can claim our new temporal agent characters are in a new faction.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    False
    Just wanna make it clear: It's a great expansion. I'm loving it and i'm glad that Delta Rising didn't happen again, however LoR had more content so it's still better.
  • mongomongo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    False
    This is doesn't have half what LoR expansion had. I would not even call this an expansion.