test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I am not quitting and this is not a doom thread.

Comments

• Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    But I really am not very happy at all with the direction the game is going. No doubt some very clever and unique individual will point out that I should stop playing the game if I'm not liking it. And they have a point.

But why should I have to stop playing the game?

Are they REALLY my only two options? Keep playing, or quit.

No, of course not.

But every time I take a break, I come back and it's WORSE.

I fail to see how I am bringing that on myself. Is it by returning and expecting that the devs have used the interim period in order to have polished the game, or even have made certain mission actually finishable by now? And should I just drop that Romulan Special Officer (or whatever - the one where the Fed variant gives you an Exocomp) mission? And if so, why hasn't that been mentioned in any announcement? I understand that research is important in hobbies, but *a GAME should not come with homework* ("Check all the forums to see if any particular mission should be dropped. Do this once a week."). Or, in this case, I am expected to trawl every single Patch Note since I last logged on, just in case. And that's not homework, how, exactly?

So I am going to keep on taking a break, and coming back (rinse and repeat), and, according to my past experiences, either being disappointed or being annoyed. Or both.

This wasn't an 'I quit' or a 'doom' thread. Curious to see how the moderators deal with it. Please note I am not talking specifically about moderation or the way it is done, I am sincerely pondering the outcome. This is not a test, and I am not trying to push the boundaries. I accept that this may be removed, because I don't own the servers this post is kept on.

Having said that:

If you guys moderated that game with 1/10 of the zeal that you moderate these forums with, you'd find you had much better player retention. EVERY SINGLE person I know of in real life who has tried to play this game was repulsed by zone chat, because the tone of the zone chat is so far away from what the Star Trek IP means, that it's literally confusing for them. That's not on the players, that's on the higherups who have decided that zone chat doesn't need moderating, because MONEY, or whatever the reason is. The end result is that we have a semi-fun game with severe UI issues that just doesn't care if your time is ruined by the idiocy of others. So, the one game that should stand for tolerant behaviour (which, might I point out, ironically and yet solidly *does not include accepting total bigots as actual humans*) is now just some random stupid MMOs like every other one out there. Perhaps I am too close to this IP (or delusional - that's not impossible), but it used to MEAN SOMETHING other than "pew pew lockboxy lying about T6" stuff. Not any more.

If I wanted to feel that unimportant, I'd ask my damn parents what I've done wrong in my life. I'm sure they could provide the same 'you are utterly and totally worthless to me as a person' vibe that the game does. GAME. Look that word up. STO is not a game, it's a plebiscite sim set in space.

Yes, I understand that Cryptic are a company, and not a collection of fuzzy animal toys whose sole purpose it is to provide me with good feelings.

But the name Star Trek was supposed to mean something. I mean, it still does to me. And, I think, many others.

Where is THAT game? The exploration game that introduces the player to the ideas of cultural sensitivity, and culture-based ethical systems. No, we get to shoot ships and buy lockbox keys instead. WHERE IS *THAT* GAME? because I want to play THAT, instead.

But we have this instead, so I'll make do.

Because THIS game, socially, is like being put in a room full of spiders and told that you can write letters to complain about how 'spidery' it is, but the people who invited you into that room in the first place - with the lure of 'fun' or 'entertainment with a Star Trek vibe', might I add - are the ones taking the complaints.

How many complaints do you have to make in order for you to realise that *you're the only one taking the complaints seriously*?

Actually, go ahead and delete this post. It'll make a better blog than post, anyway.

Until next time Cryptic - I wanted to be pals, but if frenemies is all you've got, I'll take it. God help me, I'll take it.

Aww, you poor baby, here have a cookie. I don't understand why people have this need to throw a tantrum on the forums about how they hate almost everything about the game but keep playing it anyway as if its the only game left in the world :smile: I don't like how certain things are handled either but they are working on it from what I've seen and it keeps me here. Honestly relax, have some cookies, go watch some cat(girl) videos on the net and chill, its just a game. If you really can't then all that's left for you is to move on.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Hey, I like Spam! Really!

We buy it semi-regularly to have for lunch, sometimes breakfast. I love it chopped up and mixed into a bowl of grits with cheese added.

Forum spam, email spam? Not so much.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    and let me guess...your counterpart was chinese?

(since chinese dragons are the only dragons to have something that could be classed as a 'stache)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    no, you spell Nogardhsarc backwards and you have your name​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    artemida82artemida82 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    But I really am not very happy at all with the direction the game is going. No doubt some very clever and unique individual will point out that I should stop playing the game if I'm not liking it. And they have a point.
    But why should I have to stop playing the game?
    Are they REALLY my only two options? Keep playing, or quit.
    No, of course not.
    But every time I take a break, I come back and it's WORSE.
    I fail to see how I am bringing that on myself. Is it by returning and expecting that the devs have used the interim period in order to have polished the game, or even have made certain mission actually finishable by now? And should I just drop that Romulan Special Officer (or whatever - the one where the Fed variant gives you an Exocomp) mission? And if so, why hasn't that been mentioned in any announcement? I understand that research is important in hobbies, but *a GAME should not come with homework* ("Check all the forums to see if any particular mission should be dropped. Do this once a week."). Or, in this case, I am expected to trawl every single Patch Note since I last logged on, just in case. And that's not homework, how, exactly?
    So I am going to keep on taking a break, and coming back (rinse and repeat), and, according to my past experiences, either being disappointed or being annoyed. Or both.
    This wasn't an 'I quit' or a 'doom' thread. Curious to see how the moderators deal with it. Please note I am not talking specifically about moderation or the way it is done, I am sincerely pondering the outcome. This is not a test, and I am not trying to push the boundaries. I accept that this may be removed, because I don't own the servers this post is kept on.
    Having said that:
    If you guys moderated that game with 1/10 of the zeal that you moderate these forums with, you'd find you had much better player retention. EVERY SINGLE person I know of in real life who has tried to play this game was repulsed by zone chat, because the tone of the zone chat is so far away from what the Star Trek IP means, that it's literally confusing for them. That's not on the players, that's on the higherups who have decided that zone chat doesn't need moderating, because MONEY, or whatever the reason is. The end result is that we have a semi-fun game with severe UI issues that just doesn't care if your time is ruined by the idiocy of others. So, the one game that should stand for tolerant behaviour (which, might I point out, ironically and yet solidly *does not include accepting total bigots as actual humans*) is now just some random stupid MMOs like every other one out there. Perhaps I am too close to this IP (or delusional - that's not impossible), but it used to MEAN SOMETHING other than "pew pew lockboxy lying about T6" stuff. Not any more.
    If I wanted to feel that unimportant, I'd ask my damn parents what I've done wrong in my life. I'm sure they could provide the same 'you are utterly and totally worthless to me as a person' vibe that the game does. GAME. Look that word up. STO is not a game, it's a plebiscite sim set in space.
    Yes, I understand that Cryptic are a company, and not a collection of fuzzy animal toys whose sole purpose it is to provide me with good feelings.
    But the name Star Trek was supposed to mean something. I mean, it still does to me. And, I think, many others.
    Where is THAT game? The exploration game that introduces the player to the ideas of cultural sensitivity, and culture-based ethical systems. No, we get to shoot ships and buy lockbox keys instead. WHERE IS *THAT* GAME? because I want to play THAT, instead.
    But we have this instead, so I'll make do.
    Because THIS game, socially, is like being put in a room full of spiders and told that you can write letters to complain about how 'spidery' it is, but the people who invited you into that room in the first place - with the lure of 'fun' or 'entertainment with a Star Trek vibe', might I add - are the ones taking the complaints.
    How many complaints do you have to make in order for you to realise that *you're the only one taking the complaints seriously*?
    Actually, go ahead and delete this post. It'll make a better blog than post, anyway.
    Until next time Cryptic - I wanted to be pals, but if frenemies is all you've got, I'll take it. God help me, I'll take it.

I fully understand your words thoughts and feelings. Personally I see it as you do.
    If we compared the Star Trek movies and TV series with this game, we necessarily have to regain a sense that Cryptic is strongly departed from the original spirit of Star Trek. Whether sičlověk chosen any faction, always ending up as "worthy hero" who saves the universe from the ever more preposterous enemies! Where is the famous Romulan "paranoid" political behavior? Why can not I play a negative character? Klingons, conquerors and great warriors suddenly changing the kind lambs. And all three factions almost in tears fall into his arms. Yes, we are increasingly pressured into buying ZEN. Ships T5 certainly can not be measured with ships T6, which are for Zens. Why makers in the company Cryptic will not open "old wounds" between the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, and ultimately, instead of creating new enemies may vznikout fourth factions: Dominion or Cardassia. But why make things easy when things do complicated?

tumblr_inline_oomvjpBt8H1qjixz5_500.gif

Writer and Author: victoriakanakaredes.webnode.cz

"On the world is only one good, and it's knowledge. And is only one evil, and that is ignorance."
    (Socrates)
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    1, if you quit can I have your stuff?

2, someone was trying to preach in the game? Wow, you have to give them some credit there, that's pretty ballzy. I mean its not like illegal or anything, given free speech, but still, lol

Last I checked Cryptic was not the U.S. Government... the right to free speech only protects you from the U.S. Government landing on you for what you say. It does not protect you from corporations, people, or other governments.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    @jodarkrider @askray shut this.. thing, down :p/
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User

Oh good, we haven't had a pseudomod post of yours in surely days.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options

Oh good, we haven't had a pseudomod post of yours in surely days.

and i was expecting your tripe just as equally.
  • Options
    funny thing... even Scorpius knew when to stfu and lay off...
  • Options
    actually, in this case, i agree with MC

the OP can proclaim this isn't an 'i quit' or DOOOOOOM! thread all he wants - it's both of those​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options

scorpi would not leave the wormhole technology alone until the point was made. your barking up the wrong tree.
  • Options
    geekboy#2650 geekboy Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Here is the gist of the problem. Users: "Cryptic, Fix all those things we are hav......oh look at the shiny new ships...here take my money."
  • Options

scorpi would not leave the wormhole technology alone until the point was made. your barking up the wrong tree.

is this a firefly reference or something? the only two scorpius' i know about are the ones from Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and Harry Potter​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options

is this a firefly reference or something? the only two scorpius' i know about are the ones from Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and Harry Potter​​

farscape.
  • Options

It's from the epic muppet adventure in space show that got half the seasons of TNG.
  • Options

is this a firefly reference or something? the only two scorpius' i know about are the ones from Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and Harry Potter

farscape.

yeah, farscape...that's what i was thinking of; got the two mixed up​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    geekboy#2650 geekboy Member Posts: 19 Arc User

Yes Shut it down! How dare someone complain about Star Bug Online!!!??
  • Options

what are you smoking? anyway, this thread is long derailed you should know that by the content.
  • Options

what are you smoking? anyway, this thread is long derailed you should know that by the content.

OP's not wrong about Zonechat though.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

OP's not wrong about Zonechat though.

which doesnt mean anything any more, had this thread remained off the sauce it would of but it doesnt now :p
  • Options

So your saying that playin forum Schutzstaffel is your personal obsession to the point of being a massive neurosis? Wow....
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    If the OP hadn't made a "non" Doom Quit thread we might have had a more interesting discussion. HOWEVER the OP did write it as a "non" Doom Quit thread, and should have expected this to be the result. Legit concerns were overshadowed by the "non" DOOOOOOM and "Not" quitting.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

So your saying that playin forum Schutzstaffel is your personal obsession to the point of being a massive neurosis? Wow....

i wonder how many forum friends equinox had hired, looks like another thug has crawled out the woodwork.
  • Options

i wonder how many forum friends equinox had hired, looks like another thug has crawled out the woodwork.

because its totally impossible for someone to get tired of you on their own right? Dunno who equinox is, just gettin sick of you pretending to be forum police
This discussion has been closed.