Install Arc
Options

No Cross-platform play and no Character/Account transfers

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    kekvin wrote: »
    Yh i was hoping u can log in with the same account even if u couldent use the toons on console and vice versa. Would be a blow if i dideng have access to the account unlocks id paid 4

If you've been to the new interface you will see ALL your stuff is available through a web portal which means ALL your stuff should be available on a console as well. It may not be available at console launch, but it is certainly there for possible future updates.

I would not be so sure about that, consoles could have their own portal or they might not be able to access a portal at all, its also possible that they may be able to use the same portal but that doesn't guarantee you will have a crossover of account unlocks.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    It would be nice if my LTS carried at least but I'm not too worried as I don't even have a console system anyways.

And even if I did, it would be way easier to play on PC.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    talonxv wrote: »
    It would be nice if my LTS carried at least but I'm not too worried as I don't even have a console system anyways.

your assuming of course that the console versions of sto will have a lifetime sub package, this may not be the case, how can you transfer your lifetime sub if the consoles don't have a similar subscription package available.

that's the problem with all of these console threads that have popped up since the announcement, too many assumptions are being made without any evidence to back them up.

• Options
    moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User

your assuming of course that the console versions of sto will have a lifetime sub package, this may not be the case, how can you transfer your lifetime sub if the consoles don't have a similar subscription package available.

This is true but would they really pass up on the opportunity to make money? They probably spent a lot porting it to consoles and the graphics overhaul. They will want to make a return on their investment.
  • Options
    moskata wrote: »

This is true but would they really pass up on the opportunity to make money? They probably spent a lot porting it to consoles and the graphics overhaul. They will want to make a return on their investment.

yes, monthly subscriptions bring in lots more money over time then lifetime subs do and let me remind you that neverwinter doesn't have a lifetime sub option and they probably spent a lot building that game from scratch so obviously they would.

• Options
    moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Valid point sir :)
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User

yes, monthly subscriptions bring in lots more money over time then lifetime subs do and let me remind you that neverwinter doesn't have a lifetime sub option and they probably spent a lot building that game from scratch so obviously they would.

Well there's that and Cryptic refusing to redo old events for old ships and items. I could see a bunch of people newly logged into the game getting upset that they are completely missing out.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    Welp that decides it for me. I wont be DLing this onto my PS4. My time with this game is officially over. Id give you all my things. But Im stingy and Im gonna let it collect dust in my account until they shut the servers down.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    they basically stated in the podcast that they are expecting most console users to be new players, they are not expecting PC sto players to move over to console unless perhaps they are very new players with very little invested money & gameplay wise to loose in the move or for the very few who don't mind loosing what they have invested.
    as it stands there will be no transferring of characters between platforms and no multi platform play, they said to basically think of the console versions of sto as completely different and separate games.

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

that's the problem with all of these console threads that have popped up since the announcement, too many assumptions are being made without any evidence to back them up.

That's a fair point. For me it's moot. Even if I did have a console, i'd still play PC for the simple fact don't have to deal with radial menus with a controller which means I can manipulate the game that much faster.

Sorry, for me goes under the header of "Cool for console gamers who don't do PC, but for PC gamers, gimmick at best, at worst, waste of time."
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2016

That's a fair point. For me it's moot. Even if I did have a console, i'd still play PC for the simple fact don't have to deal with radial menus with a controller which means I can manipulate the game that much faster.

Sorry, for me goes under the header of "Cool for console gamers who don't do PC, but for PC gamers, gimmick at best, at worst, waste of time."

I agree, the way I see it most console owners also have PC's anyway, if they wanted to play sto they would have played the PC offering anyway.
    personally I cant see that many people going for this as it stands though I hope for cryptic's sake I am wrong.

maybe if there was complete account access and you could flit from PC to console and back to your hearts content playing all of your current characters, ships and gear as well as PC players playing alongside console players it might be different but apparently that aint gonna happen.

the only thing that worries me is if all of this fails it could be the end of sto completely.

• Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    This is gonna fail so hard. Sadly theyll throw the PC version over the side first then they have to shut down when the console's fail.

This, i hope it does, Cryptic's greed is beyond comprehension.

Two games now, that both have cross platform account linking, yet wont allow cross platform unlocks.

Not progress! Not cash/credits/astral diamonds/gear or any such.

Just things that anyone on any platform can buy anytime. Ie. special packs, unlock packs etc etc.

Why they wont allow these to be unlocked cross platform just beggars belief.

Just a massive bunch of inconsiderate TRIBBLE.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    teknesia wrote: »

Well there's that and Cryptic refusing to redo old events for old ships and items. I could see a bunch of people newly logged into the game getting upset that they are completely missing out.
    "Not having done so" is not the same as "refusing".

But of course, the whole point of exclusivity is that some people miss out. Personally I don't really care about exclusivity, but apparently there are people that do - and probably not just at Cryptic.
    Welp that decides it for me. I wont be DLing this onto my PS4. My time with this game is officially over. Id give you all my things. But Im stingy and Im gonna let it collect dust in my account until they shut the servers down.
    But if the had never done a console version of the game, you would have stayed a player and potentially made further purchases?
    Just pretend they are not doing a console version then.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    I and my league mates are from dcuo are so excited for this. Counting down the days.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    caldannach wrote: »
    This is gonna fail so hard. Sadly theyll throw the PC version over the side first then they have to shut down when the console's fail.

Two games now, that both have cross platform account linking, yet wont allow cross platform unlocks.

Just things that anyone on any platform can buy anytime. Ie. special packs, unlock packs etc etc.

You do realize that They are doing this to make MORE MONEY to keep the company in business, right?

If They gave folks all the stuff already earned on the PC version, how exactly does that make Them more money?
    smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

You do realize that They are doing this to make MORE MONEY to keep the company in business, right?

If They gave folks all the stuff already earned on the PC version, how exactly does that make Them more money?
    smh

Actually its more likely theyve looked at their demographics and felt there wasnt enough interest on their PC playerbase for it and hence wont bother implementing it. Probably cost more the transfer the accounts then theyd make off of doing it. Maybe a handful of those moving over to console will repurchase everything they currently have. But for some people thats been around for years. Thats a lot of money to reinvest in a game already half a decade old. Its unlikely theyre going to squeeze that money out of older players a second time.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    Well this kills any incentive I had. I mean I log in just for the minimum amount to do new stuff then log out anyway and I share a PC with my fiancé so it's not like we can do stuff together in game like we used to. There was a chance that getting my ps4 back soon meant we could play together again and have more reason to play but I guess this saves me the trouble of downloading it.

I can't help but be somewhat baffled by this. They want equality in sto? Anyone new to the PC scene will not be on equal footing with older players that's what you get for investing in a game over time. Also multiple servers? How can this end well? I imagine most of the playerbase is pc and I get this hunch that the console only want to play sto market isn't going to be strong enough to make this profitable. Wont this also mean more work or multiple platform comparability issues? I presume this is why mac platform failed because PC development wasn't compatible with it. I can only assume that Im wrong but I see so many signs that this is going to be another terrible move. They can't even support 3 factions on the same server let alone multiple servers.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User

smh

Depends.

In my case, I look at the fact that I'm starting over with absolutely nothing of what I've acquired over my time in STO and I think:
    I can start from scratch in a console port of a pretty old game, or I can buy a new game designed for the console. I wonder just how many console games I could buy for that? Whole ones, no less, especially GOTY versions... those are awesome. Hmm. I like the game... but if I have to pay for the Pilot Ships Mega Bundle... and/or the Command Ships Mega Bundle... and a bunch of other C-Store Ships when I start thinking about it... and I have 20 character slots even though I only really use 12-14... and the Account Bank... and the EC Cap increase... and a ton of Event stuff available. Hmm... and if I buy stuff on console I can't use it back on my PC. And despite not always being particularly sociable, I rather like the community, my Fleeties, etc....

Do I want to deal with that one over-excited adolescent that just learned his swear words and screams them in voice chat... or try managing boff, captain, active rep, console, and set abilities on a radial menu (I wonder if they'll add some kind of Tactics interface so some stuff can be done without micromanagemet)... or re-acquire everything I already have (except for the things that can never be acquired because of the "exclusivity" thing?)...? Ehhh... but I've got that one friend that has a crappy computer and a shiny new PS4... who plays GTA V a bunch anyway and might not even want to stick with STO... but he's willing to give it a shot... since he already has a PC account... and already commented about XBONE and PS4 announcing cross platorm compatibility...

He's gonna be kinda disappointed... Hmmm...

Nope.

So, where they might be able to sell me on new purchases from either platform were things linked, or get me to promote this to my friends so we could play together, or ramp up activity in the queues and battlezones... they've accomplished none of that. On the plus side, they'll catch a few stray Trekkies or random gamers that give it a shot and try STO, but they will only have access to each other and not be able to play with the existing playerbase. So, empty queues on one won't be filled by the other, friendly players on one won't help the other, the communities won't be able to keep each other around, etc. Instead, most of the current community is going to stay right here where our toys are, and from there it doesn't really matter if our friends are playing GTA V or STO on their console... because they aren't playing it with us.

Sounds like they're coming out ahead, eh?

If anything, the segregated games are likely the result of technical limitations or the dev team's inability to make x or y work the way it shoud on all three platforms at once. Whether this is the result of the dev team's capabilities, the platforms' red tape or architectural differences, legal and/or regional limitations, or whatever... I should hope the decision wasn't financial. I do hope their new games succeed and all, since if it fails that cuts into our shared resources and if it succeeds it adds to them, but that's about the extent of my remaining enthusiasm.

The complete segregation of the current PC STO and the upcoming console versions has left my impression as a resounding "Meh", from what was initially a good deal of enthusiasm at the possibilities. :neutral:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well this kills any incentive I had. I mean I log in just for the minimum amount to do new stuff then log out anyway and I share a PC with my fiancé so it's not like we can do stuff together in game like we used to. There was a chance that getting my ps4 back soon meant we could play together again and have more reason to play but I guess this saves me the trouble of downloading it.

I can't help but be somewhat baffled by this. They want equality in sto? Anyone new to the PC scene will not be on equal footing with older players that's what you get for investing in a game over time. Also multiple servers? How can this end well? I imagine most of the playerbase is pc and I get this hunch that the console only want to play sto market isn't going to be strong enough to make this profitable. Wont this also mean more work or multiple platform comparability issues? I presume this is why mac platform failed because PC development wasn't compatible with it. I can only assume that Im wrong but I see so many signs that this is going to be another terrible move. They can't even support 3 factions on the same server let alone multiple servers.

in actual fact the mac platform failed because there are no mac programmers at cryptic to create and support the software, cryptic initially paid for an external programmer to create the software that was never as good as it should have been anyway and when mac did an update it totally killed the applications ability to function and cryptic was not willing to pay for the software to be reprogrammed or updated.
    the console software is all supported in house so this will not suffer from the same problem.

I am not sure if the console versions will be a good thing or a bad thing for pc users, if the new platforms fail to take off it could be very bad on the other hand if there are lots of console users who have never played the pc version but will play the console versions this could be very good for pc users, as the missions and other content is initially programmed for the pc version and then ported over to the consoles we could get a lot more staff working on sto and a lot more content as a result.
    all of this remains to be seen in the future, we can only hope that sto on consoles is a big success and us pc users benefit as a result or at least successful enough to keep the status quo.

• Options
    jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Yh i was hoping u can log in with the same account even if u couldent use the toons on console and vice versa. Would be a blow if i dideng have access to the account unlocks id paid 4

This!!!!! New toon is no big deal, havn't played in a while, there is probably a bunch I need to re-learn. but take away all my toys and STO is dead to me!
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options

I don't think they spent as much as you think porting it over to Xbox. Xbox now runs a version of Windows 10.
    STOP THE
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options

smh

Actually its more likely theyve looked at their demographics and felt there wasnt enough interest on their PC playerbase for it and hence wont bother implementing it. Probably cost more the transfer the accounts then theyd make off of doing it. Maybe a handful of those moving over to console will repurchase everything they currently have. But for some people thats been around for years. Thats a lot of money to reinvest in a game already half a decade old. Its unlikely theyre going to squeeze that money out of older players a second time.

But for old players who have quit, this is an opportunity to get them back and get more money out of them, unless they TRIBBLE them over and don't let them have any of their old stuff
    STOP THE
  • Options
    Some of these console remarks are funny.
    There are a good amount of FTP and subscription model MMOs and mobs doing very well on console. At Dev conference's every year they share their findings with each other.

Not counting stop 4 others are in the pipeline as well. The playerbase is there and so is money. Believe it. They do their homework. Thier is more than 60 million potential customers. Between ps4 and xbox1. And that money will help create more content.
  • Options
    *mobas*
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Meh. They're looking for new players. Of course it's a new server, instead of another playground for the 100kDPS/maxed Dil reserves/maxed credit accounts, crowd. Doesn't seem like a big deal. /shrug

Agreed. Why would any of the current PC players want to make the transfer to a console anyway? Unless you have a very old computer, PC's will be superior to consoles anyway, judging from the screenshots we've seen on the new UI and the problems with limited amounts of keys that are inherent to consoles.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    LOL is this going to be another Gateway still in Beta
  • Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2016

If you've been to the new interface you will see ALL your stuff is available through a web portal which means ALL your stuff should be available on a console as well. It may not be available at console launch, but it is certainly there for possible future updates.

I would not be so sure about that, consoles could have their own portal or they might not be able to access a portal at all, its also possible that they may be able to use the same portal but that doesn't guarantee you will have a crossover of account unlocks.

That would be awful news if this is true. It makes zero sense as to why they would expect us paying customers to have replay everything from the start when we have put so much effort into our account. It makes zero sense for them to not at least try cross-play when both Sony, Microsoft are open to the idea. I like console, pc gaming but this is ridiculous.

If this is true then it'll be one of those games that'll play for Gamer-score then finish it, ignore it while going back to PC only because the whole point of playing STO for console was so I could keep playing on console or Pc with my toons
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    neoforce42 wrote: »

That would be awful news if this is true. It makes zero sense as to why they would expect us paying customers to have replay everything from the start when we have put so much effort into our account. It makes zero sense for them to not at least try cross-play when both Sony, Microsoft are open to the idea. I like console, pc gaming but this is ridiculous.

If this is true then it'll be one of those games that'll play for Gamer-score then finish it, ignore it while going back to PC only because the whole point of playing STO for console was so I could keep playing on console or Pc with my toons

well according to Seth McFarlane from cryptic in the latest podcast there will be no cross platform play and no access to current characters & accounts on the consoles.
    if you switch to console you are basically starting with a clean slate.

give it a listen.
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/po270/

• Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    they basically stated in the podcast that they are expecting most console users to be new players, they are not expecting PC sto players to move over to console unless perhaps they are very new players with very little invested money & gameplay wise to loose in the move or for the very few who don't mind loosing what they have invested.
    as it stands there will be no transferring of characters between platforms and no multi platform play, they said to basically think of the console versions of sto as completely different and separate games.

That's really annoying to hear, I'm a console and PC gamer, it makes no sense to alienate multi-platform gamers that swap between platforms often. I refuse to see it as a separate game, it's literally all down to them now to do the work, it's certainly off putting to long term STO players like myself since I was actually looking forward to a console release.
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    neoforce42 wrote: »

That would be awful news if this is true. It makes zero sense as to why they would expect us paying customers to have replay everything from the start when we have put so much effort into our account.
    They don't expect you to do that all. They expect you to keep playing on the PC, as you have done before. The objective is making new players on top of the ones they already have, people that don't have PCs, or don't use them to play games like STO.

When they want you to rebuy stuff, they increase the level cap.
    If they want new players, they make new starting content like a new faction or introduce a new platform.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.