test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Cross-platform play and no Character/Account transfers

124»

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The main reason They are not doing transfers from PC's, is because the Consoles are going to be launched with the game starting at the beginning of Season 11.5.
    That means anything that a PC player has acquired and/or purchased after that point (which will quite a lot), won't be able to use it.
    It also means that transferred accounts may not function properly because their LIVEDATA files would be considered corrupt by the login software, since the Patch Numbers will not match.

It also seems that the consoles will always be somewhat behind in patches since everything will be sent first to the PC's and then if needed corrected for the consoles.

They could probably let folks transfer account with minimal fuss, but your game would probably crash a lot and the outcry from that would over run ALL Three of the Forums.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    The main reason They are not doing transfers from PC's, is because the Consoles are going to be launched with the game starting at the beginning of Season 11.5

Not that I'm questioning you, but where is this information coming from? I have read people saying that the console version will be behind the PC version, but I haven't seen anything from PWE saying that.

If it's true, and it's the real reason there is no account cross over functionality then personally.. I would like to see them wait until they can keep all their platforms at a common point before they go forward.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    The main reason They are not doing transfers from PC's, is because the Consoles are going to be launched with the game starting at the beginning of Season 11.5

Not that I'm questioning you, but where is this information coming from? I have read people saying that the console version will be behind the PC version, but I haven't seen anything from PWE saying that.

If it's true, and it's the real reason there is no account cross over functionality then personally.. I would like to see them wait until they can keep all their platforms at a common point before they go forward.

This article, mostly.

Specifically, this part:
    TM: Will the console release have absolutely everything that the PC release has?

SR: It won’t have everything at launch. Because of the certification process, PC will come first. But, within a few weeks, console versions will come out, and they’ll be pretty much in lock step after a little while.

It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to console versions of a PC game. They have to submit builds to Sony and Microsoft, which may take days or weeks to be implemented. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all reason for lack of cross-platform play or account transfers, but it's a very big reason.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Neverwinter is doing better on console then it ever did on PC. Cryptic is giving the game a fresh start for all the new people which is actually a very good choice, If you're playing on PC now there's no reason to stop.

No its a greedy don't give a damn about current costumer choice....

Look starting a new captain.. that's fine.. having to buy all your c-store unlocks over again.. that's the issue. If its not pay to win then there is no reason other then they want more money not to allow you to have access to unlocks you already paid for.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    captsol wrote: »
    Something I have not yet seen in any of the numerous threads on this topic:
    Just because STO will launch for XBox and PS4 without cross platform play, does not indicate it will remain so.
    I truly do not understand the brou ha ha over this topic.

I don't see cross platform play becoming a thing unless Microsoft and Sony change how they do things fundamentally. There's just a lot of blockers in the way involving their network coding and how they handle patches and control over them.

Though why microsoft says no on XBOX to PC considering most PCs run Microsoft OS is a tad silly, but as far as not throwing brand new people to the wolves of veterans is a good idea, atleast for a while till the new players on XBOX get the game down.
    I think the reason is that for one, they want to sell those XBoxes. But the other is - the certification process for the console exists so that people that buy a console and buy console games have a "hassle-free" experience. If they wanted the PC experience of tinkering, driver issues and what not, those console users would already have and use a PC, not a console.

We'll see how much this will evolve in the future. It might be that there will no longer be X-Box only games at some point, but that isn't to say they'll automatically can enable cross-play.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

This article, mostly.

Specifically, this part:
    TM: Will the console release have absolutely everything that the PC release has?

SR: It won’t have everything at launch. Because of the certification process, PC will come first. But, within a few weeks, console versions will come out, and they’ll be pretty much in lock step after a little while.

It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to console versions of a PC game. They have to submit builds to Sony and Microsoft, which may take days or weeks to be implemented. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all reason for lack of cross-platform play or account transfers, but it's a very big reason.​​

Cool, thanks for that. :)

It will be interesting to see if they're eventually able to catch up to keep both versions consistent. I forgot about the console certification process.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    kelshando wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Neverwinter is doing better on console then it ever did on PC. Cryptic is giving the game a fresh start for all the new people which is actually a very good choice, If you're playing on PC now there's no reason to stop.

No its a greedy don't give a damn about current costumer choice....

Look starting a new captain.. that's fine.. having to buy all your c-store unlocks over again.. that's the issue. If its not pay to win then there is no reason other then they want more money not to allow you to have access to unlocks you already paid for.

Everything you bought for this game you did knowing it was a PC game. And that is not going away. If you absolutely must switch, do it, face the drawbacks, complain about it. But the move to consoles was definitely not made for PC gamers. It was made for console gamers. To get new players. The PC ones can keep doing what they did before - play the game on PC.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

This article, mostly.

Specifically, this part:

It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to console versions of a PC game. They have to submit builds to Sony and Microsoft, which may take days or weeks to be implemented. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all reason for lack of cross-platform play or account transfers, but it's a very big reason.

Cool, thanks for that. :)

It will be interesting to see if they're eventually able to catch up to keep both versions consistent. I forgot about the console certification process.

Unless they dramatically alter the way certification works, the only time I see Mr. Ricossa's 'lock step' scenario happening is if the game goes long periods of time without a major patch, which has been the case in the past. But as soon as a patch hits, they have to get it certified by Sony and Microsoft all over again.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    I, for one, am going to continue to play on the PC.

However, I'm also liable to pick it up for my XBone, because the F2P experience with STO is relatively painless. And that way I can get my starship on when I have to stay in the living room for one reason or another.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

Mr. Gecko said it in his first AoY interview with P-1.
    And Mr. Ricossa also said it in his AoY interview about a week or so ago.

They also both mentioned that They hope to eventually have the consoles almost in par with the PC's, but it will all depend on how long the approval process takes with SONY & Microsoft.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    20100916023519_217_Necromancy.jpg

@jodarkrider @askray need an anti-zombie device here​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Seriously, is it a zombie Apocalypse or something? How did I miss that?
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.