test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Cross-platform play and no Character/Account transfers

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/12/star-trek-online-explores-strange-new-worlds-on-ps4/

Read the comments section and Steve Ricossa answers these questions. Would have been nice to do it on the official forums but whatever.

Basically the new servers are starting fresh for all players (makes sense) so we can't ruin it for the noobs. LOL

I do think we need some veterans to make accounts over there just to help the new guys out. There is so much information we've built up over the years they won't have access to.
Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It's a big opportunity for fleets and entrepeneurs though.
  • darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I am honestly not a fan of no cross-platform / no cross accounts. I have ships and other things on this account I don't wish to buy all over again needless to say just to get a few items on another platform and to get officers leveled is time and money I could use here. I think it would be fun to have a new player base to join fleets who need active members and fill ques that have long since went the way of the dodo. But looks like that's not going to happen. It just seems that having all the platforms together would make it a better game over all. normally in MMO's more people means more fun. It is a shame they didn't think so at Cryptic.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Wondering how the LTS will work on the console... I haven't seen any comments with regards to those who have payed for the lifetime subscription yet...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    now what that means for me is:
    I have no console, so I don't care about crossover/account Transfer
    on the other Hand:
    will the Company have more work to do for the same dev cost? Ie will PC dev suffer (like lag reduction, Server maintenance), will Players Switch (unlikley if they have invested sometime/Money already) or will the additional Profit mean that there will me more storywriters/devs?

and I love to speculate but I have been wrong as often as I have been right. So we'll have to wait and see.
    I am not too sad about the non crossover - this could lead to lag/Problems.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Was hoping I could transfer my toons or at lest my purchases.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    This is gonna fail so hard. Sadly theyll throw the PC version over the side first then they have to shut down when the console's fail.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    This is all about getting new players, not so much about keeping the existing ones happy.

I'm sure there are other difficulties involved as well no doubt.

As for the whole, 'there is so much information and we need to help out the new players on the consoles', if you want by all means, but that isn't our problem, that's Cryptic's problem that there is so much information, and new players have such a hard time understanding certain functions of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if they revamp and add more tutorials. Hopefully they do.

Besides, how exactly can veterans go over and help new players over there? Communication on consoles isn't the easiest thing in the world with no keyboards and all.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    My concern by making, from how it sounds, two new exclusive servers is that it is dipping into your customer base and competing with yourself. A united server means that you are broadening your reach while maintaining service.
    Example: I have friends that have not been able to play thanks to Arc failing on them. They might sign up for PS4 if they could get on and play with me and others they know PC wise that do not also have a PS4. But will not since they are separate servers.

Ah well. Burn that bridge when we come to it. Otherwise this turns to a doom thread.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I got to much Invested in my PC to worry about a new console right now. especially if no cross over.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Meh. They're looking for new players. Of course it's a new server, instead of another playground for the 100kDPS/maxed Dil reserves/maxed credit accounts, crowd. Doesn't seem like a big deal. /shrug

• gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    If you read what Steven says, its only for PS4 players... he is saying that textually... as Cross-Platform is allowed on Xbox, we will have to wait and see what happens on that front.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    hugin1205 wrote: »
    now what that means for me is:
    I have no console, so I don't care about crossover/account Transfer
    on the other Hand:
    will the Company have more work to do for the same dev cost? Ie will PC dev suffer (like lag reduction, Server maintenance), will Players Switch (unlikley if they have invested sometime/Money already) or will the additional Profit mean that there will me more storywriters/devs?

and I love to speculate but I have been wrong as often as I have been right. So we'll have to wait and see.
    I am not too sad about the non crossover - this could lead to lag/Problems.
    Ideally, the cost of supporting Playstation and X-Box will costs less than the current support required for PC, since most components will be reused. The server-side of the game will probably be mostly the same, which also would mean any connectivity issues will be the same. The client will need the most tweaking for the different platforms, but even there are likely to be many reusable parts.

So, if the consoles can attract a good number of players, then it likely means they will net more money, which means they might be able to afford more non-technology related stuff - e.g. more in terms of game mechanics and more in terms of story.

But of course any such move has some risk attached to it. If it doesn't work out, they will eventually have to close down some platforms, I suppose. Or the entire game. But unless the bean counters at PWE are really bad at their job, I think the will have a reasonable confidence that won't happen.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No way in hell am I buying all my stuff again

3sasqa.jpg

Not that the console ui had me thrilled anyway ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    If you read what Steven says, its only for PS4 players... he is saying that textually... as Cross-Platform is allowed on Xbox, we will have to wait and see what happens on that front.

That's even less likely. Look at DCUO. That game was updated to allow PC/PS crossplay but Xbox One is separate.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Yh i was hoping u can log in with the same account even if u couldent use the toons on console and vice versa. Would be a blow if i dideng have access to the account unlocks id paid 4
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I do think we need some veterans to make accounts over there just to help the new guys out. There is so much information we've built up over the years they won't have access to.

if they want access to it, they can come to the PC section of the forums - there are entire libraries worth of data to peruse for those who bother to seek it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/12/star-trek-online-explores-strange-new-worlds-on-ps4/

Read the comments section and Steve Ricossa answers these questions. Would have been nice to do it on the official forums but whatever.

Basically the new servers are starting fresh for all players (makes sense) so we can't TRIBBLE it up for the noobs. LOL

Just a note on the tread title: Nothing is that blog or the comments precludes transferring/linking accounts. Rather, he stated...
    ...and made no mention of our account purchases/unlocks. We could simply be required to create new captains under our existing accounts when playing on console.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Yes, but linked / shared accounts would mean you'd have a bunch of event ships (and their traits) that PS4 owners can never get so I could see that thinking leading to blocking accounts not just characters. But who knows? I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

Maybe you can link your account but only have access to any C-Store ships and costumes that are available on PS4.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Yes, but linked / shared accounts would mean you'd have a bunch of event ships (and their traits) that PS4 owners can never get

they'll never be able to get those ships anyway because cryptic is hardly going to be rerunning the past three summer events and four winter events after all that blathering about 'exclusivity'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Yes, but linked / shared accounts would mean you'd have a bunch of event ships (and their traits) that PS4 owners can never get

they'll never be able to get those ships anyway because cryptic is hardly going to be rerunning the past three summer events and four winter events after all that blathering about 'exclusivity'​​

Sure, but the quote was:
    we want to make sure that all players are able to have equal footing when we launch later this year.

It's not an equal footing if I show up with my 6+ event ships and their mastery traits.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    > @samt1996 said:
    > It's a big opportunity for fleets and entrepeneurs though.

Can you elaborate?
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > shadowfang240 wrote: »
    >
    > davefenestrator wrote: »
    >
    > Yes, but linked / shared accounts would mean you'd have a bunch of event ships (and their traits) that PS4 owners can never get
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > they'll never be able to get those ships anyway because cryptic is hardly going to be rerunning the past three summer events and four winter events after all that blathering about 'exclusivity'​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sure, but the quote was:
    > we want to make sure that all players are able to have equal footing when we launch later this year.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not an equal footing if I show up with my 6+ event ships and their mastery traits.

True^
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Why flame the forums OP...wait and see for official response.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I don't own a console. Therefore, I do not really care about any of this drama.
  • moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Does this mean that if youre a lifetime member you have to buy it again if you so choose to move platform?
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

Basically the new servers are starting fresh for all players (makes sense) so we can't TRIBBLE it up for the noobs. LOL

of course they will have access to the information, they can still access the sto pc web site, wiki and youtube, they will have a wealth of information out there if they bother to look.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

This discussion has been closed.