test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should the KDF and ROM been included in the New Expansion?

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Yes!
    I call utter BS on Cryptic not being able to support development of multiple factions. Esp when basically headed up by a man that has put out statements showing his personal dislike of anything not-federation. I would bet real money Gecko is 80% of the reason, or more, that it doesn't happen. Because HE doesn't want it to happen.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Geko? Did something happen to to SalamiInferno? Why isn't he doing the talking?

Since the new Series has been indicated to have self-contained Seasons happening before, during, or after Star Trek Eras (Shows) there is more of a chance with Klingons and Romulans for future Expansions and Seasons, if STO follows that paradigm with or without the new Series direct tie-in.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yes!
    ltminns wrote: »

Since the new Series has been indicated to have self-contained Seasons happening before, during, or after Star Trek Eras (Shows) there is more of a chance with Klingons and Romulans for future Expansions and Seasons, if STO follows that paradigm with or without the new Series direct tie-in.

With rumors flying about the new series, there's a chance that they might do a whole season focusing on the Khitomer massacre. You want Klingon and Romulan content? Ohhhhh yeah! That'd be a great springboard for it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yes!
    ltminns wrote: »
    Gecko has always been the mouth for STO, the EP just drops by once in a while for something special.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    No!
    I think a lot of posters in this thread are missing the point of this new temporal faction. It's not just a faction being added to the game. Nor is it just another Starfleet group being added. It's a Kirk-era Starfleet with some of Kirk's crew, in recognition of the 50th anniversary of Trek. It's a direct nod to the Original Series story and stars.

The Romulans and Klingons will be in that story, I'm sure. But they weren't the stars, nor were they even the focus of many episodes in TOS.

Again, I've always been a supporter of more Romulan content in the game. But here, with this expansion? No, I don't think they Cryptic did anything wrong. To me, everything is shaping up to be very, very right.
  • Options
    Yes!
    chipg7 wrote: »
    The Romulans and Klingons will be in that story, I'm sure. But they weren't the stars, nor were they even the focus of many episodes in TOS.

By this logic, no Trek game ever in any era should allow you to play anything but Starfleet.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    No!

By this logic, no Trek game ever in any era should allow you to play anything but Starfleet.

Not really. They had a much bigger focus in TNG-onwards. They both appeared much more regularly, and had a lot more on-screen development.

Also, that's only half my point. The other half of my point is that this expansion is a nod to the stars of the NCC-1701's crew. So it's going to be from that perspective.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No!
    I would like to see a more detailed breakdown of the train of thought connecting these two points. I seem to be missing something.

Ok, less sarcastically... NO. AoY is a very specific story, much like LoR. Would that story make sense for Fed or ODF? no. likewise the AoY story wouldn't make sense for ODF or Rom.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    No!
    No

In TOS we dont see alot of the klingons or romulans, the story of the TOS era was the federation, and the voyage of the USS Enterprise.

So no i think those 2 factions should be left out.
  • Options
    Yes!
    I call utter BS on Cryptic not being able to support development of multiple factions.

6 years into this game's life, one of the most often posted criticisms of it is that the factions are unbalanced, with the development team not being able to give equal support to factions other than the federation.

The track record pretty much supports the thesis that the company can't support development of multiple factions. And over those 6 years, everyone from Zinc to Emmert to Stahl to Geko to whoever have stated that though they would love to be able to do more for the other factions, their "metrics" show that they lose money and they never can deliver on more.

So I mean, what's to call BS on?

They say they can't do more.
    And they've spent 6 years not doing more.

The facts all seem to be in order here.

As much as I'd LIKE them to do more, I don't see them changing course from what they've been saying forever and ever. We can take what little they give. But they've been pretty clear and up front about not being able to support multiple factions very well. I don't like it. But I won't say they're BS-ing us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,554 Arc User
    No!
    I call utter BS on Cryptic not being able to support development of multiple factions.

6 years into this game's life, one of the most often posted criticisms of it is that the factions are unbalanced, with the development team not being able to give equal support to factions other than the federation.

The track record pretty much supports the thesis that the company can't support development of multiple factions. And over those 6 years, everyone from Zinc to Emmert to Stahl to Geko to whoever have stated that though they would love to be able to do more for the other factions, their "metrics" show that they lose money and they never can deliver on more.

They say they can't do more.
    And they've spent 6 years not doing more.

The facts all seem to be in order here.

As much as I'd LIKE them to do more, I don't see them changing course from what they've been saying forever and ever. We can take what little they give. But they've been pretty clear and up front about not being able to support multiple factions very well. I don't like it. But I won't say they're BS-ing us.

And they DID try, twice. With LoR and with giving the KDF a full set of story episodes instead of starting you at level 25(?). I liked both stories and have 6 KDF & Rom alts, but I'm in the minority. People still overwhelmingly chose to play Federation captains.

It's like your favorite semi-obscure musician or TV show. I think everyone should be buying the music of Carrie Akre and Emma Pollock, but the music buying public prefers Taylor Swift and Meghan Trainor.
  • Options
    Yes!

I've seen smaller teams do more than people thought possible, but this is not the thread for it and we're derailing the topic.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Yes!
    There's plenty to flesh out the Klingons and the Romulans. Just make missions like in the video below and the players will be happy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbuBveBH2c

Look how happy the KDF players were when they took over the ESD.

Otherwise, TOS was embarrassing to watch as a whole.

Shame we can't actually blow fed ships up exactly like that. Seeing as we are going back a hundred years, there is always room to explore the problems leading up to the Klingon civil war as well. TOS is 2265 to 2269. But I guess that's just silly because that's 2291 AD. That's TMP era. And it isn't set around that time, but I'd hope it lead up into it. Because I want to see the adventure of Captain Sulu!
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    No!
    I've seen smaller teams do more than people thought possible, but this is not the thread for it and we're derailing the topic.
    It's not that they can't, they've proven they can, but only if they focus on doing KDF stuff. The reasons for them not doing so have been explained adequately.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Yes!
    It's not that they can't, they've proven they can, but only if they focus on doing KDF stuff. The reasons for them not doing so have been explained adequately.

again we're derailing the topic, this is not the thread for it.
  • Options
    echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    No!
    They WILL be added... as NPCs for me to blow up :)
  • Options
    Yes!

Wait, I'm confused. This thread is about Cryptic making KDF and Romulan content. How is that comment derailing the topic?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yes!

Wait, I'm confused. This thread is about Cryptic making KDF and Romulan content. How is that comment derailing the topic?

actually we wandered into belief/non-belief of their abiliy/capacity for them to be able to make said content. This thread only asks if we feel they should have added playable klinks and roms to the expansion. Not if we think they can handle the work of doing so or not
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    That's not what Gecko said at all.

He said They were in discussion's with CBS about the new series and that anything created by the Trek-2017 production between now and when it airs, wouldn't be in the game.(...)

They will not include it now, but at a point in the future they might. (...)

Yes, yes, that is true, I forgot a word in my post pig-27.gifpig-40.gif
    I would hate if Cryptic were to hold back up creating new original story just because there is a chance a future series will contradict it. But then, Cryptic has been - for a long time now, basically - been busy more fleshing out known stuff instead actually creating real new major characters or factions. It could very well be become more so, especially if the new CBS series (e.g. the series by the people granting STO the license to be a Star Trek game) is starting. But it will necessarily take some time until the series and the game story can join or share material in any way.

I fully agree. Cryptic takes the "nostalgia trip to the shows" too far, I liked the Deferi and Breen arc a lot more than to revisit old places for the umpteenth time just so they can include VOs and references all over.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    No!
    patrickngo wrote: »

I mean, we don't KNOW what CBS' actual reaction to the Deferi arc was-it could well be that the liason said, "Don't do any more of this."

we don't KNOW.

To be honest, it kinda feels like the nostalgia is a very strong part of the Star Trek fandom. Especally if you realize how poorly they tend to react to new stuff. TNG, DS9, JJTrek... they all also gained a lot of backlash and it took some time for it to be come accepted (or for there to be new Trek fans that saw this as part of Trek).
    So I would also consider that the player "metrics" to also support this move.

But it doesn't seem unreasonable either that CBS really prefers revisiting the existing Trek lore - since it's advertisement for everything they sell. (And everythnig they sell is advertisement for STO, so it's a pretty symbiotic relationship).

And there is a potential that among the team at Cryptic there are also plenty of Trekkies that just love to engage with the lore and revisit it, too.

I kinda get that appeal, too. Heck, my biggest wish probably is to get back to the DS9/Gamma Quadrant/Cardassian content, for example.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    No!
    Basically cannibalizing gameplay to sell starships, consoles, and lockboxes.
    It's a business. People voted with their wallets and that's what's profitable. Unprofitable games die, it's that simple.
    from a GAME standpoint, every decision since 2012 has been to narrow those minority factions down and recycle justifications not to deal with them.
    As someone who bought STO with the intention of primarily playing KDF.... I think you're making this worse rather than better. If you REALLY want more KDF ships vote with your wallet. Whimpering on the forum accomplishes nothing. Also, "I'm not buying it because the stats suck." is the same as telling Cryptic you don't want them to develop more KDF ships...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Yes!
    Basically cannibalizing gameplay to sell starships, consoles, and lockboxes.
    It's a business. People voted with their wallets and that's what's profitable. Unprofitable games die, it's that simple.
    from a GAME standpoint, every decision since 2012 has been to narrow those minority factions down and recycle justifications not to deal with them.
    As someone who bought STO with the intention of primarily playing KDF.... I think you're making this worse rather than better. If you REALLY want more KDF ships vote with your wallet. Whimpering on the forum accomplishes nothing. Also, "I'm not buying it because the stats suck." is the same as telling Cryptic you don't want them to develop more KDF ships...

actually it's telling them it's ok to sell me trash then demand I be grantful for trash.

buying good ships tell them what is wanted.

and companies worried about profit don't ignore nearly a 3rd of their fanbase.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    Yes!
    nightken wrote: »
    and companies worried about profit don't ignore nearly a 3rd of their fanbase.

They're not ignoring that fan base. They're just not prioritizing it and putting it at the top of the list. That creates the disparity and the long standing complaint/criticism.

While I agree with the complaint, I do understand their actions and how it got this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]