test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should the KDF and ROM been included in the New Expansion?

darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
Should the Klingon and Romulan empires been made playable in the new expansion. I am still excited for this being a huge TOS fan but I am disheartened that the two other factions were left out. It would have been super fun to play a TOS Klingon or Romulan in that time period. I personally think that after the time and effort put into this they should have gone the extra mile.
i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!

Should the KDF and ROM been included in the New Expansion? 166 votes

Yes!
58%
nightkenjslaterstalonxvduaths1ssbn655shpoksstuart1965leadme2kirkgaraks31mirrorchaosjodarkriderbaddmoonrizinvalenn1eradicator84artan42spielman1kjwashingtonfleetadmiraltacodarthkuribohdarkknightucf 97 votes
No!
41%
comrademocorealdarth5ava63forthegamercommanderkassyberginsfrasier13sophlogimosaurializardchipg7bobbydazlersallyoftheforcejarvisandalfredjonathanlonehawkmustrumridcully0psyman87crypticarmsmandracounguisdaveynyreyan01questerius 69 votes

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Yes!
    darakoss wrote: »
    Should the Klingon and Romulan empires been made playable in the new expansion. I am still excited for this being a huge TOS fan but I am disheartened that the two other factions were left out. It would have been super fun to play a TOS Klingon or Romulan in that time period. I personally think that after the time and effort put into this they should have gone the extra mile.

pointless poll is pointless... the content is largely done at this point and in the polish phase... adding them LATER as a second expansion maybe... but they're not gonna push back the expansion for 18mo no matter what percentage of the player base yells, screams and waves money at them.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Yes!
    Yes you're right. I was mostly just curious of those for and against. This can be closed if needed.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    Yes!
    darakoss wrote: »
    Yes you're right. I was mostly just curious of those for and against. This can be closed if needed.

Just alter the wording of the title and question a little and run with it then. Just make it more clear you're asking if people think that Cryptic should have included them as part of this expansion and not that you're asking should Cryptic stop now and add them.
  • Options
    Yes!
    Should the FEDs and KDf been included in LoR?
    Should the FEDs/KDF/Roms be included in a Cardassian faction expansion?
    Should the FEDs/KDF/Roms be included in a Dominion faction expansion?

No, if an expansion is based around one faction, it should be based around ONE faction. Don't needlessly shoehorn in something unrelated.

Klingons only appeared in like 7 episodes of ToS, and Romulans only in like 3, according to memory Alpha. Neither were a particularly large part of ToS(movie appearances not counted since this expansion is about ToS the show rather then the movies which Cryptic can only kind of use in the first place)

The problem is we're getting a second federation faction and its being sold as a TOS expansion. TOS was more than just the federation, and the love for both Klingons and Romulans began with TOS.

Honestly there should never be a Cardassian faction but thats a different rant.
  • Options
    txcavaliertxcavalier Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    The Romulans and Klingon Empire should have been one faction. It was a poor design choice to split them with the Federation. The player population would be in a far better situation if that was accomplished. I don't care if the temporal TOS setting is for the Federation. However, there was an opportunity to fix many things with this expansion. Imagine, a new dynamic PvP area in an Original Series setting. It would be like Star Fleet Battles. All of the balance issues facing PvP in the base game could be put aside. That was what I was hoping for when I saw the initial TOS release. Something surprising and new..... This expansion is bland and less than inspiring as it stands.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    No!
    TOS was Federation, and told from the viewpoint of the human race as a part of it. Scotty is not a Klingon.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    TOS was Federation, and told from the viewpoint of the human race as a part of it. Scotty is not a Klingon.

By this media logic, there should not be any KDF or Romulan factions.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm unconvinced the KDF or Romulan Republic will be playable at all in the console versions, at least at launch. It's a real opportunity to kill off some of the complaints by not going there in the first place.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yes!
    The problem is we're getting a second federation faction and its being sold as a TOS expansion. TOS was more than just the federation, and the love for both Klingons and Romulans began with TOS.

TOS was primarily not even the Federation. It was very much focused on the dynamics between Kirk and his crew, with a heavy part of that being Bones and Spock.

The Romulans were in two episodes. The Klingons a handful.

Luckily the Romulan Republic and the Klingon Defense Force will be involved in this expansion as much as the Federation faction is. Which will likely be the storyline featured episode whatever they're creating for it.

It's, however, not very likely that a playable Romulan or a playable Klingon will be part of the 23rd century Starfleet that the TOS faction starts out as. And I'm not really sure that's a great idea as it would go against canon pretty directly. By the time we get to the 28th century, I'm sure the other three factions will hook into the story and the gameplay.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    No!
    I voted no. Just give up on KDF and Roms. Cryptic obviously has.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    No!
    this is a hard question to answer.
    to be honest I would rather they just did a complete rerun of the first delta event with standard fed, kdf & rom characters even if they changed the format slightly and renamed it temporal recruits, they could just as easily added the TOS as a backdrop for standard new episodes that could have been played by existing character or temporal recruits at a slightly later point say around September to coincide with the anniversary.
    with this release cryptic are of a mind that they have added a new faction where many players like myself are not, to me the TOS recruit is just part of the fed faction but with just a slightly different start in life and not a separate faction at all and not even a half faction like the roms or even a quarter, eighth or sixteenth of a faction.
    add to this the fact that as cryptic are looking at this as the forth faction and it leaves me with the impression there will never be a fifth (true forth) faction be it cardassian, borg or dominion faction.

as the expansion stands I would have to vote no as a kdf or rom character would not fit with the format of an all in one faction as cryptic have designed it, it would be daft to have feds, kdf and rom all included as part of one TOS faction.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Yes!
    I voted yes knowing perfectly well the limited number of times the Klingons and Romulans were presented in a episode of TOS. To be honest I don’t really consider that a major factor for my vote.

I said in another thread that from a story-wise point of view, I think the Klingons and Romulans of that era would provide an interesting perspective. It is after all in a time where the two Empires and the Federation were at odds with each other.

Add to the fact that your captain is a time traveler on a mission would be a very interesting take in my opinion.

Yes, yes I know the creative process is extensive and none of us really know for sure how much time and resources were used to create the expansion, I get it.

Anyway, that’s my vote and the reasons behind it.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    Yes!
    txcavalier wrote: »
    The Romulans and Klingon Empire should have been one faction. It was a poor design choice to split them with the Federation. The player population would be in a far better situation if that was accomplished. I don't care if the temporal TOS setting is for the Federation. However, there was an opportunity to fix many things with this expansion. Imagine, a new dynamic PvP area in an Original Series setting. It would be like Star Fleet Battles. All of the balance issues facing PvP in the base game could be put aside. That was what I was hoping for when I saw the initial TOS release. Something surprising and new..... This expansion is bland and less than inspiring as it stands.

dude... QFT... pvpeen is dead. Which is right where it belongs.

Outside of that I could see a RSE/Gorn/KE/Orion Cartel faction for TOS content given its own faction. Each limited to one race in char gen and some specific dialogues for each race. That would allow TOS red v blue stuff and then once they move 'back to the future' they split along KDF/RR lines with Romulans given a quick half mission allowing them their typical fed/klink alliance.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    No!
    This expansion is Cryptic's tie in to the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Original Series. Which was entirely Federation/Starfleet centric. Klingons and Romulans were the "Bad Guys" back then. And unabashedly so in the less than a dozen episodes they appeared in. Although they did do a lot of looming in the background off camera by being mentioned in a script or two. The little I have seen of the Expansion stays true to the feel of TOS.

Which I think it should do.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Yes!
    KDF and Rom have already been confirmed having a small part in the new expansion. The Question was long answered. I frankly do not know why there is anyone voting for no when none of their opinions are even correct on the matter.

If you are asking if there will be KDF or Rom TOS expansions, thats a maybe. Geko mentioned that it took a lot of effort to get AoY out of development and the development team didnt have the ability to put out any KDF or Rom based stuff and also because they were not as popular anyway.

I mentioned maybe because they could do it some point down the road, it would depend if they feel upto creating a whole backstory to the TOS klingons and Romulans as not much was known about them during this timeline.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    No!
    Too much work for the poor fellas, as they said before they had very little content from TOS Era to build on making it all a moot point.

This is like a asking them to introduce three new factions at the same time. They would all be half baked or the dev's would've died of exhaustion.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No!
    Klingons and Romulans are still the villains in this time, and "authentic" missions would be stuff like breaking peace treaties to attack Federation outposts or to supply primitive worlds with arms so one group there can conquer or kill the other, or torture people with pain stimulators.

I don't think that would quite fit Star Trek Online's usual approach to what player characters do. And if they make more STO type Klingon and Romulan activities, it would quite frankly feel fake.

It looks however as if they made some new TOS style Klingon ships - they should make those available to KDF players. IF they did that for the Romulans, the same there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    No!
    The major part of the players, which request the most TOS-era Klingon and Romulan storyline, will anyway be disgruntled with story Cryptic can produce to make it fit into game general plot development. In no way they could show TOS-era Klingon and Romulan captains as Federation antagonists - that will never fit with the rest of the current game without some botched deus-ex-machina twist. And I suspect some will also find reasons to whine about the available ships not being to their liking - "This D7 model is too ugly", "It is just a rehashed ~insert Fed ship name~" etc.).
    So giving separate Romulan and Klingon storylines will not change the grudge of many of those dissatisfied with their absence - it will just shift the focus of their complaints to the story being "rehashed Fed story" and whatever else we have now. Thus Cryptic's efforts will be wasted.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    No!
    reluctantly I have to say no.
    Cryptic did say it did not intend to do a genuinely badguy playable faction. TOS romulans and Klingons were for better or worse the badguys. Though I find it hard to say that of the romulans seen. (Probative strike on Federation outposts. Romulan captain was honorable and skilled foe. Second had Fed sending an incursion to Romulan space to steal a cloaking device and the Romulans were relatively calm about it till the theft succeeded. The Klingons were shown to be more the back stabbing conspirators than the romulans despite the latter having cloaking devices.)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    KDF and Rom have already been confirmed having a small part in the new expansion. The Question was long answered. I frankly do not know why there is anyone voting for no when none of their opinions are even correct on the matter.

If you are asking if there will be KDF or Rom TOS expansions, thats a maybe. Geko mentioned that it took a lot of effort to get AoY out of development and the development team didnt have the ability to put out any KDF or Rom based stuff and also because they were not as popular anyway.

I mentioned maybe because they could do it some point down the road, it would depend if they feel upto creating a whole backstory to the TOS klingons and Romulans as not much was known about them during this timeline.

Because TOS Klingons being hired as Temporal Agents just doesn't make any sense whatsoever ... after all they're the "bad guys" back in those days ... just imagine a TOS Klingon being hired as Temporal Agent from some "Human-looking" Dude from the future, telling him that Klingons are going to join the Federation ... it's rather likely that the TOS-Klingon will shoot that guy in the face = Game Over ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    Yes!
    people seem to think that "not being happy members of the Federation" = "being the bad guys" .... hate to break it to you but just because Germany has a different agenda than USA... it doesn't make them "the bad guys" same for KE/RSE. They have different motives, goals, and ideals. This does not make them evil, or incompatible. In fact there is one prominent Klingon featured TOS episode where they work together, go fig. In both of the Romulan episodes they were very carefully painted, not as enemies, but simply a different power with a different perspective and goal.

In many cases, even mentioned in TOS iirc, other governments saw the rapid rise of the UFP and its aggressive expansion as a threat. Hell in "The Enterprise Incident" your glorious good guys order Kirk to violate treaties, conduct espionage and theft. The antagonists there were quite clearly NOT the Romulans.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No!
    No. One new sub-faction is bad enough, no need to even mention three.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Yes!
    people seem to think that "not being happy members of the Federation" = "being the bad guys" .... hate to break it to you but just because Germany has a different agenda than USA... it doesn't make them "the bad guys" same for KE/RSE. They have different motives, goals, and ideals. This does not make them evil, or incompatible. In fact there is one prominent Klingon featured TOS episode where they work together, go fig. In both of the Romulan episodes they were very carefully painted, not as enemies, but simply a different power with a different perspective and goal.

In many cases, even mentioned in TOS iirc, other governments saw the rapid rise of the UFP and its aggressive expansion as a threat. Hell in "The Enterprise Incident" your glorious good guys order Kirk to violate treaties, conduct espionage and theft. The antagonists there were quite clearly NOT the Romulans.

That was the feeling I got from the Romulans and Klingons as well. You know it’s unfortunate that both factions get labeled “the bad guys” because their way of life is not in accordance to what the Federation believes in.

Some factors I would consider is according to Star Trek lore the Klingon and Romulan Empires predate the Federation by a great many years. That for me is that they have been doing business like this for a long time. Their cultures and way of life reflect this, most likely the reason the Klingons have their “honor” philosophy where to die in battle is the goal of every warrior. The Romulans I see as a society more of the “cloak and dagger” types where subtlety is the name of the game. Now a lot of folks would think that is just another way to saying that they are just “sneaky” but it has kept it’s empire together up until Hobus blew up.

We do see some merit in the Romulans in their tactics as shown in the TOS episode “Balance of Terror” the quick hit and fade tactic that they turned into an art form. We also see that the commander of the Romulan ship (portrayed rather well by the actor Mark Lenard) and see he is not some evil warlord but a person that is caught in the middle of his personal honor and the orders that he is given.

I think that story-wise Cryptic could pull it off if they had the time and resources for such an endeavor. I would have loved to have seen Romulas before it’s destruction or to have met Kang and who knows? Maybe that might happen down the road. Regardless of whatever I wrote down now, I am looking forward to the new expansion and hope to have an entertaining time of it.

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    TNG - Klingons etc ... yes ... TOS - Kligons on the other hand seemed to be always portraied pretty "one-dimensional" ... which was kind of my point ...

PS : i.E. it's funny watching some DS9 Episodes where Jadzia is basically praising Kor as some kind of "honorful War-Hero" ... yet rewatching the TOS-Episode he's basically some TRIBBLE-War-Criminal ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    No!
    Noooo to much work for no profit. Tgey should keep to what keeps this game running