test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Also I will add if you read all the comments from page 1 to now.

The most asked question is "Will I be able to port/use my account/play with my current toon/character on Console?

Meaning if the answer to this is yes, there will be a lot of excited and very happy STO players 100%.
    If the Answer is no then no one will really care except for the changes being made to pc.

That's bs. Neverwinter on Xb1 is more popular than Neverwinter on PC. Though I would love to see the most of my Zen-store ships to be ported over.

The main reason for that was the boring and utterly endless grind from Level 60 to 70, the massive change that made you restart entire campaign story arcs due to them all of a sudden being for LVL 70 only when in the past they are lvl 50 and up. The utter lack of new areas. The rendering all Legenadry and Epic gear useless gear you had spent tons of time and cash to get. These drove PC players away from NW. Thats why the consoles took over that game. Console players were new to that game when these changes took place and did not face the BS cryptic pulled. Now nearly two years later they figured out gee we F'ed up and have corrected many of those issues. NW is a classic example of what not to do when bringing consoles into to a PC's playground.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    rinks wrote: »
    tymersto wrote: »
    :::Headdesk:::

Granted, I'm not a console player. Let's just hope the lighting changes don't give older cards a hard(er) time than what's already being done...

Thank you for the time...

I have to agree here, players like myself may just be forced out of the game with such massive changes like these.

You people NEED to make sure there's an potion to turn all of this off for those of us on limited hardware.

When does a game come out that doesn't have an option to turn down settings? I'm sure current settings will still be able to be modified on the PC, just like you have an option of selecting a different version of DirectX if your card doesn't support higher versions. This game has also been out for many years so if you can't afford to upgrade your card by now, several of which are less than $100 now, then you probably shouldn't game on a PC and stick to consoles that upgrade every 7 to 11 years. Demanding "you people NEED" to do anything of the devs who have already made this game great is a d-bag move. No one owe's you anything for not upgrading your PC. If that's the case, while they're add it they "need" to make sure it also runs on my old Pentium IV with support for dial up modems and on-board video memory.

Nice dis to folks that play on laptops with the graphics card line. Got news for you sunshine not all Laptops even higher end ones let you change out the graphics card.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    Call me a pessimist, but my main concern is whether Cryptic has the resources to maintain a code base that needs to run on three different platforms and that changes made for the console versions might negatively impact the PC version. The UI and graphics improvements mentioned in the announcement could be very good if ported over to the PC, or they could be very bad and introduce a whole new source of bugs that could take months to fix.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Holy poops! I just bought a PS4 on Tuesday. Looking forward to this!
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    jaturnley wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    I'm already seeing comments on twitter about how bad this game looks graphically and that it's a failed pc mmo. Also the console plebs are already spouting homophobic slurs at each other in the replies to the ps4/xbox twitter accounts that just announced this. Wonderful stuff, coming to an sto near you.
    Yep, welcome to the "community" that comes free with every multiplayer game on consoles. Pubescent tweens and teens with no filters, greifers, racists, homophobes, mysogynists. That's just a taste of what's the standard on console multiplayer games!

Edit: Did I say free? I forgot, you get to pay a subscription fee to PSN or XBL to join!

You guys must not watch zone chat. Our current little community is not entirely free of people spewing offensive nonsense of all kinds into the chat window. I tend to ignore it completely but occasionally see junk scroll up even so.

The difference is that voice chat is the norm on consoles. So every time you queue up, you get to listen to a stream of trash from the other players. You can turn it off, but....
  • deightonxdeightonx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    With the question of carrying over accounts and so on from a pc account to bring it to console, is it possible yes....as Warframe pulled it off on Xbox One in the begining for a short time. So will they...doubtful, but should make it happen. As for a lot of us has had spent good amount of money and the lifetime membership on this, where i cant see why they cant allow to carry it over to console.
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    FYI about the cross platform thing: Not at this time according to Zero.

https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4j187p/star_trek_online_coming_to_xbox_one_and_ps4/d32xr96

So, unless they change their minds, I have no reason to get an XBox One.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • tuffy21tuffy21 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    null
    I think they need to figure out a way for the PC toons to be accessible on the console. I'm not sinking more money to buy items again. I also got 6 years worth of time spent on my PC toons. Its wonderful to be playable on consoles, but to ask people to start over is just wrong.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I know a lot of people are saying that they don't want to lose their keyboard controls the way they are now, but I would like the opposite! Quite frankly, all of our tray clutter is getting ridiculous. So, could those of us that would prefer a more simplistic control scheme use the console one? I'll even use a game pad if required!
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    snipe048 wrote: »
    As long as the PC UI setup is not Dumbed down do to the console players, i'm fine with this because i will not continue playing if our control system gets "Streamlined" on PC. I like clicking my powers and setting them up the way they are currently.
    Some streamlining would actually be nice. For example, my current setup has me using TT1 x2, which takes up two slots on the tray. If that kind of thing gets streamlined to only take up a single slot, I'd be quite happy.

My main concern though would be how Neverwinter gameplay feels like "STO ground combat that's stuck in shooter mode." I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES want to be forced to use shooter mode for ground content, just for the sake of bringing PC and console gameplay closer together.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I'm already seeing comments on twitter about how bad this game looks graphically and that it's a failed pc mmo. Also the console plebs are already spouting homophobic slurs at each other in the replies to the ps4/xbox twitter accounts that just announced this. Wonderful stuff, coming to an sto near you.
    Yep, welcome to the "community" that comes free with every multiplayer game on consoles. Pubescent tweens and teens with no filters, greifers, racists, homophobes, mysogynists. That's just a taste of what's the standard on console multiplayer games!

Edit: Did I say free? I forgot, you get to pay a subscription fee to PSN or XBL to join!

You guys must not watch zone chat. Our current little community is not entirely free of people spewing offensive nonsense of all kinds into the chat window. I tend to ignore it completely but occasionally see junk scroll up even so.

The difference is that voice chat is the norm on consoles. So every time you queue up, you get to listen to a stream of trash from the other players. You can turn it off, but....
    Great, now this old discussion about "forcing" ppl to use voice chat is going to come back.
    Gawd i hate multiplayer games.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I know a lot of people are saying that they don't want to lose their keyboard controls the way they are now, but I would like the opposite! Quite frankly, all of our tray clutter is getting ridiculous. So, could those of us that would prefer a more simplistic control scheme use the console one? I'll even use a game pad if required!

I'll admit that my high level characters have more powers than will fit in 0-9 +Shift +Alt +Ctrl power trays and that's not entirely good. I'll even admit that many powers don't get used very often.

But they're there if I decide to use them, they're visible so I don't completely forget I have them, and I can easily arrange them to suit my preferences.

Some streamlining, okay. But if STO's controls start to work like Neverwinter's do, I will be very, very unhappy.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Any Chance this will to Xbox or Play Station 3 also?
    and as for PC will we ever be able to use DirectX 12?
    Also be interesting on Xbox Controller use with pc will this now going to work good?
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    This is a very bad idea. So far, they have barely been able to keep the PC version bug free and running smooth. The queues are dead, major bugs still exist. On top of that, this new platform client is not going to be cross platform enabled. This does nothing for the bulk of STO players on PC's. Since they have been working on this, they have taken a lot of development time and staff away from the main PC version to make this port possible. Safe to say, things will not be getting better from here. :-(
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Usually a company that's made the mistake of releasing a console only product ports it to PC to try and make up for their shortsightedness.

This however will be OK as long as they don't screew up the UI to dumb it down for console use.

So, Android port next?
    teknesia wrote: »
    Will X-Box and PS4 players be able to play with PC players? That's probably the biggest question I have since it'd be a great opportunity to have a game to play with a good friend of mine.

Nope. No cross platform support.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    lyanaar wrote: »
    The question is: What happens to my Lifetime Membership or my store purchases? I will not buy everything again...

It is going to be a separate STO from what they say.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    snipe048 wrote: »
    As long as the PC UI setup is not Dumbed down do to the console players, i'm fine with this because i will not continue playing if our control system gets "Streamlined" on PC. I like clicking my powers and setting them up the way they are currently.
    Some streamlining would actually be nice. For example, my current setup has me using TT1 x2, which takes up two slots on the tray. If that kind of thing gets streamlined to only take up a single slot, I'd be quite happy.

My main concern though would be how Neverwinter gameplay feels like "STO ground combat that's stuck in shooter mode." I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES want to be forced to use shooter mode for ground content, just for the sake of bringing PC and console gameplay closer together.

For me, shooter mode sucks. The only thing it's good for, imo, is throwing down AoE's in an optimal location rather than based on target selection. Even so, unless you're just pew-pewing your primary weapon, I consider it worse than tab selecting a target and hitting the control key for the power you want.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11222370/microsoft-xbox-cross-network-play-pc-ps4-gaming

Microsoft has announced that it will start allowing cross platform gaming. I am not saying that it will be the case here but, it is not out of the realm of possibility.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    So does this mean there will be even less devs working on fixing bugs?
    And no, i'm also not thilled about having the ui changed to suit more for console players.
    Shooter mode is a clear no go for me.

I see dark clouds arise from the horizon...
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    lyanaar wrote: »
    The question is: What happens to my Lifetime Membership or my store purchases? I will not buy everything again...

It is going to be a separate STO from what they say.

Please let this be true...

That way I can, hopefully, continue playing STO on my PC in the Prime Universe whilst the Console crew play the JJ-Version.

B)

I know several PC gamers and I know several console gamers. By and large each group wants very different things out of the gaming experience. Will STO effectively become two games under one name?
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    • In Arc, that little Explore dropdown now goes to PC before giving the actual categories related to the game. The only other game in my Arc Library that does that is Neverwinter, because you have to choose between PC and XBOX. Spoilers?
    We're proud to announce that Star Trek Online will be launching simultaneously on Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles in Fall 2016!

Take a look at our official announcement as well as the new lighting changes coming to Star Trek Online PC!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Well, that answers that. :wink:

The big quesions:
    • Is cross-platform play going to be an option?
      • Would STO be getting a shiny new cross-platform server, now that PS4/XBONE both allow cross-platform support?
    • Is cross-platform use/transfer of our accounts/characters going to be an option?
      • Would this be done automatically, or require Redshirt/Tribble-style requests each time you go from one to the other?

Overall, great news. I have a friend that used to play who has a crappy computer... but who also has a PS4. I can see this drawing him back in just to try things out again, especially with all the changes since he left. Sending a text right now. :smile:

Your promo video did fail to mention that we aren't all Starfleet...
    ...some of use are the Klingon Defense Force and Romulan Republic. :innocent:

:fearful:

Unless on console we can't actually make KDF/Rom captains?
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I see many Debby Downers here, not surprised, really. I've played many games that have both PC and CONSOLE versions, some are horrible on one or the other, some are just horrible on both, the point is I personally think this will be GOOD for the game overall, and particular for us PC users. Here's why: In the announcement it said that many of the " LIGHTING" and engine improvements will be coming to the PC version, which is AWESOME! ( Although, I may have to change my time schedule for getting a new puter) Secondly, I SERIOUSLY doubt Cryptic would make us PC veterans use a CONSOLE UI, that would be, well stupid. My guess is they are going to fine tune the PC UI ( which is great, but hopefully not TOO much on the frontend) and build a new UI for the console version. Thirdly: Xbox One runs on an OS that is VERY VERY similar to windows 10. I believe Microsoft has even said they are continually going to make the two systems more alike, than not alike. Since STO is built to play on windows, the basic coding may not be all that different. I don't know much about the backend stuff on the PS4, but I did read that Sony made the PS4 easy to code games 4, and that it would be easier for Developers to make games for both consoles without having to build two completely separate entities.
    As far as the Doomsayers saying " THIS WILL BE THE END OF STO" and " STO IS DOOMED WHEN THIS HAPPENS" I've been seeing that for 5.5 years, and been playing for 6, so yeah,, doom away, sayers.
    I can say I do not believe that current accounts or characters will be portable over to the console version, as that would likely be technically very difficult. Also from a financial point of view what sense does that make? Cryptic obviously sees a bright future ahead for STO, otherwise they wouldn't be spending the resources and capital to be doing this, but they need NEW revenue streams ( players), doesn't do them any good if half the population that plays PC moves to console, but the games revenue doesn't change.
    Well, that's my two cents, I will likely not be playing STO on console simply because I don't have an Xbox One, nor do I plan to get one in the near future. I am happy with the way STO plays on the PC, and look forward to AoY!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    This explains things during the recent events a couple months ago. I will leave it at that. I have a good many things to say, but It won't be good.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    To be honest, this is actually the first in a long line of PC games I would love to see on a console. Back when I had a 360 I looked to see if you could at least use it like a PC because it was faster than my computer was at home. Hate saying it, probably still is, but outside of taking my giant desktop from work home I cannot play STO anywhere else but at work, and the busy season is coming leaving me usually only able to do half of the summer events. I know it's doubtful that I'll be able to take my character from PC and switch it back and forth but if that would be possible I could easily see STO being played FAR more often.

Hell I'll be honest, I'd probably end up playing even if I COULDN'T I'll probably be playing anyway. Even though I doubt I will spend $ on it. So hey if monetary is there goal, I think if you could play with all your items you would get the new players more into getting things because of competitive nature, interest and hell people will buy all sorts of things for the hell of it.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    Interesting, although I still don't have any plans about buying a new console right now.

However I'm a bit concerned about the upcoming lighting improvements might bring performance issues: there are some queues I not longer play because the my framerate drops from 60fps to 15~20 as soon as the shooting starts. It wouldn't be good if the whole game starts to behave like that :|​​
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Interesting, although I still don't have any plans about buying a new console right now.

However I'm a bit concerned about the upcoming lighting improvements might bring performance issues: there are some queues I not longer play because the my framerate drops from 60fps to 15~20 as soon as the shooting starts. It wouldn't be good if the whole game starts to behave like that :|​​

This is one of my problems ALSO:

*Delta Patrols (( oh them pesky patrols again!! )) - Yes reported on here many times and in game.
    *ESD when anything like shadows etc are on my FPS drops to 10 FPS if lucky
    *The NEW Red Alert FPS drops to about 30 on a good day

There are more but these annoy me the most!!

I am worried that with new graphics means new issues and me having to play with very low settings and I do not run a low low GPU either.

On the flip side of this I do hope the new UI improvements do not add Radial wheels to controls on the PC version as I really dislike them lol but if they do I hope they allow old style menus etc still like they did the UI colours.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User

This is why I will keep my Chat turned off. So I won't see this rubbish when in social zones.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.