test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• Options
    seanwigglesworthseanwigglesworth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Even if we can't actively play our own characters on each platform, not allowing the three to all interact on the same basic play server would be a mistake, imo. I personally wouldn't care if I can't transfer my characters, however, building up two isolated communities in addition to the PC doesn't add to the PC crowd, and may take away if it came down to new players having to decide between platforms, thereby passivley removing new players from "our" universe. If I wasn't a LTS there would be a strong argument to switch if the player base of one console explodes while the other two remain static.

Is that all speculation? Yes.

Does that make it invalid to point out? No.

We should have been clearly told this up front, as now I'm holding off on even bringing it up to friends until we can get a straight, dev answer
    Those who fear their imagination, have seen the awesome power of a neural network.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    Even if we can't actively play our own characters on each platform, not allowing the three to all interact on the same basic play server would be a mistake, imo. I personally wouldn't care if I can't transfer my characters, however, building up two isolated communities in addition to the PC doesn't add to the PC crowd, and may take away if it came down to new players having to decide between platforms, thereby passivley removing new players from "our" universe. If I wasn't a LTS there would be a strong argument to switch if the player base of one console explodes while the other two remain static.

Is that all speculation? Yes.

Does that make it invalid to point out? No.

We should have been clearly told this up front, as now I'm holding off on even bringing it up to friends until we can get a straight, dev answer

You mean three communities. There won't be unified PS4 and Xbox accounts or play, either. MS has extended an olive branch to Sony (and Nintendo) to offer shared community resources for cross play, but didn't get an encouraging response from their competition.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Also I will add if you read all the comments from page 1 to now.

The most asked question is "Will I be able to port/use my account/play with my current toon/character on Console?

Meaning if the answer to this is yes, there will be a lot of excited and very happy STO players 100%.
    If the Answer is no then no one will really care except for the changes being made to pc.

That's bs. Neverwinter on Xb1 is more popular than Neverwinter on PC. Though I would love to see the most of my Zen-store ships to be ported over.
  • Options
    rinksrinks Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »
    :::Headdesk:::

Granted, I'm not a console player. Let's just hope the lighting changes don't give older cards a hard(er) time than what's already being done...

Thank you for the time...

I have to agree here, players like myself may just be forced out of the game with such massive changes like these.

You people NEED to make sure there's an potion to turn all of this off for those of us on limited hardware.

When does a game come out that doesn't have an option to turn down settings? I'm sure current settings will still be able to be modified on the PC, just like you have an option of selecting a different version of DirectX if your card doesn't support higher versions. This game has also been out for many years so if you can't afford to upgrade your card by now, several of which are less than $100 now, then you probably shouldn't game on a PC and stick to consoles that upgrade every 7 to 11 years. Demanding "you people NEED" to do anything of the devs who have already made this game great is a d-bag move. No one owe's you anything for not upgrading your PC. If that's the case, while they're add it they "need" to make sure it also runs on my old Pentium IV with support for dial up modems and on-board video memory.
  • Options
    roguepaladinroguepaladin Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    As long as they let PC players port copies of our toons and the associated unlocks to the consoles at some point (kind of like how they do for the PTS servers), even if it's a limited time option, then I'm soooo there. Heck, even if they don't let us do that, I'm so there.
  • Options
    albertwesker45albertwesker45 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    From the way Warthunder Turned out I personally i have my doubts about being able to continue using my progress that i've done since this game went f2p.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The game is far older then Neverwinter so the dynamics are very different. If there is no ability to use your current account and atleast have your unlocks and purchases for new characters then this will fail miserably. I don't see them attracting enough new console players into an entirely separate community for it to work well. After six years most of the hardcore fans have already evaluated the game and decided whether or not to play it.

I think what would make most sense is for them to charge a $20-30 fee each time you want to transfer a character between servers but make it free for all subscribers. Cryptic makes money to offset the effort and challenges and we all get cross-platform support. This seems like a major win for everyone involved.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    no cross-platform play goes against what Geko said in the interview with P1...

They didn't want STO to compete against itself and they didn't want to separate the community... tisk tisk tisk... :disappointed:
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I'm already seeing comments on twitter about how bad this game looks graphically and that it's a failed pc mmo. Also the console plebs are already spouting homophobic slurs at each other in the replies to the ps4/xbox twitter accounts that just announced this. Wonderful stuff, coming to an sto near you.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    They had better hope the success of this endeavor doesn't hinge on existing players willingly re-buying everything they already own. A rude awakening lies down that road...
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    I'm holding off on any (negative) judgement until we know more, most likely after AoY get fleshed out and released.

However, I should probably mention that I'm willing to take Geko's word on the "cross-platform compatibility" - does that make me a fool-of-a-took?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »
    They had better hope the success of this endeavor doesn't hinge on existing players willingly re-buying everything they already own. A rude awakening lies down that road...

They don't, they are betting that since Neverwinter is a success on Xbox 1, that STO will follow suit.
  • Options
    lenziolenzio Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Should be good can't wait! Hope I can use my pc char on xbox.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    scarling wrote: »
    I'm already seeing comments on twitter about how bad this game looks graphically and that it's a failed pc mmo. Also the console plebs are already spouting homophobic slurs at each other in the replies to the ps4/xbox twitter accounts that just announced this. Wonderful stuff, coming to an sto near you.
    Yep, welcome to the "community" that comes free with every multiplayer game on consoles. Pubescent tweens and teens with no filters, greifers, racists, homophobes, mysogynists. That's just a taste of what's the standard on console multiplayer games!

Edit: Did I say free? I forgot, you get to pay a subscription fee to PSN or XBL to join!
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    I wish they would set up a little time for q&a following these announcements. We're sitting here with legitimate questions and no one is talking. Kind of frustrating.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    saedeith wrote: »
    I wish they would set up a little time for q&a following these announcements. We're sitting here with legitimate questions and no one is talking. Kind of frustrating.

They didn't accidentally neglect to specify on these points. There are bitter pills to be swallowed here, and that lead will be buried under the hype.
  • Options
    saedeith wrote: »

If you want an idea, go look up on how they dealt with Neverwinter's transitioning.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    no cross-platform play goes against what Geko said in the interview with P1...

They didn't want STO to compete against itself and they didn't want to separate the community... tisk tisk tisk... :disappointed:
    I don't know. I think he (or rather Cryptic/PWE) might think that most PC players wouldn't generally switch to a console game, and all the console gamers are new players. So there is no real splitting.

But STO 2 (or STO: TOS) would obviously draw existing STO 1 players and the games would cannibalize each other.

I don't think the console offering is intended to target existing players, and it probably will also not do this for most players. If you have played the game on PC so far and managed, there isn't really a reason to switch.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    I hope by the time they release this they allow crossplay. Microsoft opened up the door, Cryptic just has to take advantage of the feature and use it.

Game would look so much better on my XBOX One.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well I'd expect the console version to perform better then the computers most casuals players use or can afford.

This is a very specific game that appeals to very specific fans so I don't think it can ever be a huge mainstream success even on the level of Neverwinter. So I think the success of this very much depends on being able to take your characters and/or account to the new server somehow. It will need support from the current established playerbase, so much knowledge and history will be lost and totally inaccessible to the poor console people just coming in. In many cases this tribal knowledge is the key to success.
  • Options
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I hope by the time they release this they allow crossplay. Microsoft opened up the door, Cryptic just has to take advantage of the feature and use it.

Game would look so much better on my XBOX One.

In order to move the game into the place where MS opened up that door, Cryptic would need to move the game into the Windows 10 XBox app and their Win10 app store. The cross play option MS has presented requires all transactions to be done on their cash system.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    lol you can invest, develop and take the risk that a 6 year old mmo will succeed on a console, but couldn't continue MAC support. I could say a lot about this and none of it good. So will choose my words wisely,

Good luck and Qapla.

Mac is for business and design it was never meant for gaming.

was hoping this day would never come but now that it has, will it be cross platform or will consoles have there own servers like neverwinter has?
  • Options
    Which would give the finger to any possible return of mac support and leave PS4 peeps out in a deepfreeze. I cant imagine Cryptic would be ok with dumping ARC and parting with 30% of their profits. TRIBBLE Microsoft.

I'll say it again, I have no problem with separate servers as long as we can have or buy the ability to transfer characters.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    NO NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL THE FRAK NO! I dread this move. You will need to dumb it down to accomodate the limited options those consoles have. Further I can hear the wails of console players when they get stomped into goo by PC users who have lots of options as far as hotkeys go that give them a real advantage over consoles. I dread seeing the changes to the game that are going to be forced on PC bread and butter community due to the fixed hardware in these consoles. I am so sick of consoles enroaching and ruing games that shine on PC's but suck on consoles. Every console game I have played suffers from jerky graphics they look like bad limeted animation cartoons from the 70's. FRAK CONSOLES!
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    For those asking about cross-platform: For XB1, most likely no. You can thank Microsoft and their regulations for it (DCUO just came out last month on XB1 and although the rest of their currently supported platforms can play cross-platform, XB1 users have to play on their own platform, for recent reference). PS4 users just might get to play with other PC users, but most likely will not be able to carry over their existing account data.

Doubtful that a dev will be able to do much about that, unfortunately.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    hypl wrote: »
    Wait, you ACTUALLY have some engine updates planned? That's incredible.

Looking forward to seeing how the controls work for consoles. As long as the PC experience is not being drastically altered to accommodate the console crowd...

It will be and not for the good.
  • Options
    I'm afraid. Will my PC game experience be dumbed down for console people? And basically same question as above, are my PC controls going to be forced to change or can i keep them?

But, if anything this will pump new blood and life (money) into a game that needs it and it should boost the overall game.

It will be this is the death knoll for the game!
  • Options
    snipe048snipe048 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    As long as the PC UI setup is not Dumbed down do to the console players, i'm fine with this because i will not continue playing if our control system gets "Streamlined" on PC. I like clicking my powers and setting them up the way they are currently.

Founder and Current CO of Gamma Strike Force

Player since December 2009
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    Yep, welcome to the "community" that comes free with every multiplayer game on consoles. Pubescent tweens and teens with no filters, greifers, racists, homophobes, mysogynists. That's just a taste of what's the standard on console multiplayer games!

Edit: Did I say free? I forgot, you get to pay a subscription fee to PSN or XBL to join!

You guys must not watch zone chat. Our current little community is not entirely free of people spewing offensive nonsense of all kinds into the chat window. I tend to ignore it completely but occasionally see junk scroll up even so.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)