test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    snipe048 wrote: »
    As long as the PC UI setup is not Dumbed down do to the console players, i'm fine with this because i will not continue playing if our control system gets "Streamlined" on PC. I like clicking my powers and setting them up the way they are currently.
    Some streamlining would actually be nice. For example, my current setup has me using TT1 x2, which takes up two slots on the tray. If that kind of thing gets streamlined to only take up a single slot, I'd be quite happy.

My main concern though would be how Neverwinter gameplay feels like "STO ground combat that's stuck in shooter mode." I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES want to be forced to use shooter mode for ground content, just for the sake of bringing PC and console gameplay closer together.

I loath "Shooter Mode". Hate it so bad, I don't even use it. I would hate to be forced to use it all the time. That would kill ground combat for me. And I love ground combat.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Not pleased.

Comments:
    1. Keep PC controls and UI the same. Please don't dumb us PCs down to the level of consoles. Complexity and options is what keeps STO fun and engaging.
    2. Keep consoles away from PC STO. I would never want to team with someone using a crippled interface (joystick) who can't look around, who can't target team mates and specific NPCs quickly, and who also can't activate specific abilities when necessary.
    3. I hope consoles die and stop dumbing down PC games as they have been since forever. If my PC STO experience gets reduced to the level of NW, I'm done here.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Not pleased.

Comments:
    1. Keep PC controls and UI the same. Please don't dumb us PCs down to the level of consoles. Complexity and options is what keeps STO fun and engaging.
    2. Keep consoles away from PC STO. I would never want to team with someone using a crippled interface (joystick) who can't look around, who can't target team mates and specific NPCs quickly, and who also can't activate specific abilities when necessary.
    3. I hope consoles die and stop dumbing down PC games as they have been since forever. If my PC STO experience gets reduced to the level of NW, I'm done here.

1. Valid and I agree.
    2. Wow, block Hibiki@TheGreatHibiki for your benefit then please as you would be most unhappy that because of myself being severely left handed I don't use traditional keybinds and have a miserable time focusing on friendlies when targeting effects I have to actively click and press on them. So yeah.
    3. Vicious little thing aren't you. Some of us prefer console to PC for the lack of need to upgrade a system every time a game creator makes an update. While talk of making consoles more PC like with upgrades that talk will meet a hard resistance I feel, so in a way console gaming the way it is will more than likely stay strong. The fact STO is going to console is a good thing to me. and you should be happy as I am about 85% certain they are two separate entities. What I do hope is that you can connect a keyboard and mouse and play this game like your system is a PC, because that would suit me fine.

More than likely the upgraded lightning they are talking about is more than likely a result of a new team tackling the problem for the consoles and the original dev team seeing their usual problems in a new light and were able to implement a fix. More than likely it will cripple the game for a week why the fix the usual major bugs, but eh. Get what ya can.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    Not pleased.

Comments:
    Amen
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • rogueaegianrogueaegian Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I will love this if I can import my characters to the PS4 because I'm constantly deleting things on my laptop to make room for new ones and the GBs I have for STO would be very nice to be able to use for something else.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    Over on: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content

It indicates that the console versions are not cross compatible with the PC version, sounds like it confirms what some others have said, the consoles will have a separate server from the PC version. I believe that means PC version will continue weekly updates, and the console versions will have a different, and slower update frequency. We'll get more details as time goes on though. :)

I don't know what that means for all the UI updates they mentioned, but time will tell. I don't have either console, but I still consider this good news. :)

I don't have the problems with the PC version that some have indicated above my post.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    I'm a Wii U owner. Oh woe is me.

Nah, not really. I have no desire to buy a PS4 or Xbox One. I also have no desire to restart everything from scratch, rebuy all c-store items I already own, or play with a dumbed down control scheme. I know it's not 100% confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised if an account transfer wasn't a thing.

Thumbs up to anyone who has been looking forward to this, but I personally couldn't care less about it.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    I, for one, is looking forward to this. Exciting year for Star Trek Online.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    farmallm wrote: »
    aesica wrote: »
    snipe048 wrote: »
    As long as the PC UI setup is not Dumbed down do to the console players, i'm fine with this because i will not continue playing if our control system gets "Streamlined" on PC. I like clicking my powers and setting them up the way they are currently.
    Some streamlining would actually be nice. For example, my current setup has me using TT1 x2, which takes up two slots on the tray. If that kind of thing gets streamlined to only take up a single slot, I'd be quite happy.

My main concern though would be how Neverwinter gameplay feels like "STO ground combat that's stuck in shooter mode." I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES want to be forced to use shooter mode for ground content, just for the sake of bringing PC and console gameplay closer together.

I loath "Shooter Mode". Hate it so bad, I don't even use it. I would hate to be forced to use it all the time. That would kill ground combat for me. And I love ground combat.

One "bumper" or "trigger" button tab-targets, the other brings up the radial menu for your Kit/BOff abilities... that'd be my guess anyway. It'd be a royal pain in the aft if all BOff abilities have to be radial menu'd each time you trigger them, but if you have something like radial "slots" where you select powers/combos it could be great. We'll just have to see how they've handled that.

That said, I just can't see them trying to sell radial menuing your EP2x every 30 secs to a console player, much less doing the same with Distribute Shields all the time. Managing say 13 BOff abilities + 10 Captain abilities + Distribute Shields/Ship abilities + Rep/Set abilities... could be a bit cumbersome using a radial menu, especially since MMOs don't let you pause when your radial menu is open (imagine the trolling that would cause). Despite what others have commented on as far as macros (in which many include keybinds), I'd expect to see more things set up for ease-of-use simply to make it work properly.

Now if there were something like Dragon Age's party member Tactics setup for our BOffs in Ground/Space, that could save tons of UI interaction. That was probably my favorite aspect of the game, since it meant that if my party members were acting stupid it was because I'd told them to. Plus, it meant that obvious things like "Ally: Health < 25%, Heal" would keep your team alive; applied to things like EP2x pairs... you get the idea.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    From the screenshots I've seen, STO will look way more awesome on the XBOX one than on my laptop. Added bonus, I can stream from my XBOX to my laptop and play anywhere in my house. I love my XBOX One.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Okay, for one, will the graphics update be done on the PC version first? Will we be able to sign in with our current accounts on the console version and have everything we had on the PC version? Will the console version have keyboard and mouse support?

And I know I will get hate from this question, but why do a console version right now when the PC version still has MAJOR bugs, problems and other complaints that need resolved as well as an engine overhaul that is badly needed. Will the work for the console version take away from the PC version's much needed staff?

I think that Cryptic and PWE needs to earn back a lot of the players trust and respect before attempted to bring in more players who will play for a short while before quitting because the lack of support and constantly broken gameplay.

Hell, PVP needs a complete overhaul because new players that try out PVP for the first time, goes into Ker'rat, gets torn apart before the loading screen is even done. Even then they respawn only to be one shotted without a chance to even defend themselves.

There is still way too much work that needs done before the thought of bringing STO to consoles should even be put on the table. I'm paraphrasing, but didn't Al say in an interview with Priority One Podcast that making 3 different stories for the 3 factions was too much work? If the devs can't treat all 3 factions EQUALLY, what makes them think that they can add in more work without making something else suffer?

Sorry but I have to say that until the PC version's issues are fixed, I don't think that the consoles should get STO right now.
    Release Notes: July 12th, 2017
    PC server has been removed, in order to improve the overall quality of STO.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    So here is the thing. They've been promising mouse/keyboard functionality on the XBOX One for a while now, and as recently as February they said they're still working on it. If it becomes an option, the devs should leave the door open as to how the player wants to play the game, be it gamepad or keyboard+mouse.

Frankly, when it comes to FPS, gamepad works better for me. I have SW:BF on the XBOX One and I feel crippled trying to aim with the damn gamepad. I enjoy the game none the less, but since I've always played FPS games using a keyboard and mouse, I just prefer it. I can't imagine playing STO ground maps on a gamepad. I'd probably miss my target half the time.
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    About time that Cryptic overhauled the GUI, late but at least a hooray is in order!

This. More than anything this needed to happen. It's a shame it required a move to console to trigger the move, from a business resources stand point it at least makes it now worth doing, because console CPU's aren't as powerful as top end gaming rigs that can still run STO at terrible frame rates.

Also, HDR! Welcome to 2004! yay!

In the trailer, I spy me Hassans Orion ship (see my signature) :D
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    I would like some information on whether any of the UI back end improvements they mentioned will make it to the PC version. The PC UI was completely re-written pretty recently (relatively speaking) so I'm not honestly sure if it will or not, but on PC the UI lag is by far one of the biggest issues we face on a daily basis right now.[/color]​​

That UI "re-write" wasn't, iirc. It was essentially a re-skin (of the front end, aka new pictures and colours), the "back end" (underlying code) remained the same.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the game will not be cross-platform accessible, since right here in the Forums They have Three distinct tabs for PC/XBOX/PS4.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • luvsto1701luvsto1701 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Please don't do what you did with Neverwinter. Please allow the thousands we have spent on this game to transfer to the xbone and ps4 systems using the same account. Microsoft already lifted their bans on cross platform play last month so there's no reason to make people have a new account.

I'm sick of playing on PC and I love STO so I will gladly make the switch but if we have accounts with none of our existing stuff i'm probably going to be done giving you all any future money and just walk away.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Sounds great. I hope some of the UI menu changes will carry over to PC. I enjoy using the Steam controller on a lot of games. UI adaptations for controllers will help that.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    2. Wow, block Hibiki@TheGreatHibiki for your benefit then please as you would be most unhappy that because of myself being severely left handed I don't use traditional keybinds and have a miserable time focusing on friendlies when targeting effects I have to actively click and press on them. So yeah.
    3. Vicious little thing aren't you. Some of us prefer console to PC for the lack of need to upgrade a system every time a game creator makes an update. While talk of making consoles more PC like with upgrades that talk will meet a hard resistance I feel, so in a way console gaming the way it is will more than likely stay strong. The fact STO is going to console is a good thing to me. and you should be happy as I am about 85% certain they are two separate entities. What I do hope is that you can connect a keyboard and mouse and play this game like your system is a PC, because that would suit me fine.

You're still doing the best you can with what a game provides. Forcing a PC user to team with one or more console users, or alternatively, forcing a highly simplified (dumbed down) interface on a PC user, and either scenario will guarantee a frustrating experience. I played and paid for a PC game, not a console game, and thus come to expect teams that seek to maximize the gameplay potential, which is only natural.

Call me vicious for wanting consoles to die, but I wish whatever games are made for PC should never cross over to consoles and vice versa to prevent the inevitable dumbing down of PC games. This is not the case. I was about to pre-order another online game that will also come out with PC and console editions (on separate servers for the sake of balance) when the developers for reasons still unknown decided to keep server side refresh ticks at 20, making for a horribly frustrating beta test. When directly questioned, they never gave a straight answer, and cited completely nonsensical explanations such as "for artistic reasons." One possible culprit? Console limitations being standardized into PC servers. Unless they fix whatever it is that caused such poor response rates that endless other people also noticed, be it low tick rate or errors in their networking code, I won't be getting it. Already the gameplay suffers in so many other ways, including pointless radial menus and simplified controls, and so stands as yet another victim of consoles one way or another.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016

You're still doing the best you can with what a game provides. Forcing a PC user to team with one or more console users, or alternatively, forcing a highly simplified (dumbed down) interface on a PC user, and either scenario will guarantee a frustrating experience. I played and paid for a PC game, not a console game, and thus come to expect teams that seek to maximize the gameplay potential, which is only natural.

Call me vicious for wanting consoles to die, but I wish whatever games are made for PC should never cross over to consoles and vice versa to prevent the inevitable dumbing down of PC games. This is not the case. I was about to pre-order another online game that will also come out with PC and console editions (on separate servers for the sake of balance) when the developers for reasons still unknown decided to keep server side refresh ticks at 20, making for a horribly frustrating beta test. When directly questioned, they never gave a straight answer, and cited completely nonsensical explanations such as "for artistic reasons." One possible culprit? Console limitations being standardized into PC servers. Unless they fix whatever it is that caused such poor response rates that endless other people also noticed, be it low tick rate or errors in their networking code, I won't be getting it. Already the gameplay suffers in so many other ways, including pointless radial menus and simplified controls, and so stands as yet another victim of consoles one way or another.

Please tell me that that game wasn't No Man's Sky...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    They finally did it. By George they finally did it. And it looks awesome!

So excited!
  • shivarussell#2096 shivarussell Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Hmmm, problem i have with this is will there be 'Duping' problems etc?

I play Diablo 3 on PC, my friends also play it on their consoles and they say that item duplicating has become a real problem in the game, obviously they are seperate shards but if STO becomes one universe for all computer formats then it may become an issue.

Just my 2 cents, thoughts?
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    Sounds great. I hope some of the UI menu changes will carry over to PC. I enjoy using the Steam controller on a lot of games. UI adaptations for controllers will help that.

I want at least the back end UI fixed, it lags badly, and is unresponsive sometimes during combat. Even though nearly all of the rest of combat is smooth as butter for me.
  • cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Some of the folks in this thread need to tone down the "STO on console is the End of the World" rhetoric just a tad.

I'm primarily a console gamer in the Playstation ecosystem, though I'll play a PC game now and then if it doesn't have a console port. One of those few PC games was/is STO, I play in WINE, under Linux. So folks better not try that "console players are dumb, hur hurr" rhetoric on me because...well, Linux user. Sadly STO doesn't perform well under Wine anymore and I don't play it often.

I'm posting to make a few points.

Streamlined UI doesn't mean dumbed down. UI shouldn't get in the way, be non-intuitive and drive away new players. Someone earlier mentioned how certain things in the PC UI that should logically be grouped together but aren't. I've always felt that STO with a streamlined UI would work fairly well on consoles and was wondering if it would ever make the jump. They're using radial menus because they're FAST. That's one of the reasons that some Second Life (which is PC only) users STILL prefer the radial menu UI to alternatives.

But....there's nothing stopping console STO from using the SAME (quirky non-optimal) UI as the PC version. Every console since the PS2, which came out in 2000, has had USB ports for several reasons. And one of those reasons is alternative control and input schemes. I have console games within 10 feet of me that have keyboard and/or mouse support. I've played console games with HOTAS support. I have played a console MMORPG with hotkeys and macros.

I've played almost every MMO in the Playstation ecosystem since 2003...except FFXIV, and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that PC players are no more "mature" or "cerebral" or "hardcore". The people in groups and guilds in these games weren't any different from those in groups and guilds in PC games. You'll find homophobes in PC games too.

Other console games like Disney infinity support level/scenario design with the built in assets/tools so it wouldn't surprise me to see The Foundry in the console version.

In the Playstation ecosystem, F2P games like STO, don't require Playstation plus.

Sony is in general supportive of cross-platform play with the PC. FFXI, FFXIV, DCUO, War Thunder, are have cross-platform play with the PC. This tends to work out fairly well for MMO's. MMO players are pretty similar across platforms.

Sony is willing to let companies use premium currency in their games. This usually means that one buys the currency (and sometimes add-on packs) on the Playstation store, but the other in-game items/benefits are purchased in game. This is how DCUO (Station Cash/Daybreak points), TESO (Crowns) and War Thunder (Golden Eagles) work.

While I'm hoping for cross-platform play, at least with the PC. I'll settle for being able to use my PC account and bring over my Captain and her Intrepid. If not, it's back to the Miranda again.

And for that fellow above. D3 on console isn't an always online game like the PC version, because of that there's exploits that some use to dupe things. It's not as bad as some say...basically all you have to do is watch out for those with super-high paragon and avoid playing with them.

• sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    cronoprime wrote: »
    Sadly STO doesn't perform well under Wine anymore and I don't play it often.

I would imagine that most games don't perform too well under wine. B)
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmmm, problem i have with this is will there be 'Duping' problems etc?

I play Diablo 3 on PC, my friends also play it on their consoles and they say that item duplicating has become a real problem in the game, obviously they are seperate shards but if STO becomes one universe for all computer formats then it may become an issue.

Just my 2 cents, thoughts?
    Pretty sure that's a flaw in the Diablo engine itself and not a console thing... I know the PC version of 1 and 2 had those by the truckload.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    azrael605 wrote: »
    yreodred wrote: »
    Release Notes: July 12th, 2017
    PC server has been removed, in order to improve the overall quality of STO.

Ambassador Vreenak would like to speak with you.
    Well the point is, 3 platforms equals 3 times dev time to fix bugs and create content.
    And since Consoles are much more popular (at least in numbers) i can very well imagine Cryptic abandoning PC support and closing down PC server.
    PLUS everything @alcyoneserene said.

A tale of two Picards