Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure female Captains were a thing during the TOS area.

And yes, I know the whole thing about Rodenberry saying "no, they'd blow their ship" and stuff but TRIBBLE that, the theory that Janice Lester was simply insane is the best.

Anaxar They were a thing, just slightly retconned. Granted this isn't offically canon but there is also NX-02.

Who was the captain. Oh wait this was the captain:

Captain Hernandez USS Columbia So anyone who says, no female captains, um the show Enterprise says "TRIBBLE THAT!" And that happened almost 100 years before TOS. Just because we never saw it on screen never meant there wasn't any.

Like I said, artifact of '60s sexism (and Paramount not wanting Roddenberry to cast his girlfriend, regardless of Majel Barrett's very real acting chops).
    It seems that could have been more a concern for nepotism then sexism. Or maybe both.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I can see it now:

Feds - 4 new universal special ability consoles for use on any fed ship, plus 6 new starship traits and 11 new admiralty ships
    KDF/RR - 2 or 3 new traits, 2 or 3 admiralty ships.

Swalldev posted on Reddit a fact about two of the ships that will be available in the expansion, the Eternal and the Ouroboros:
    :) well they are faction agnostic!

Source: Swall's thread section

This is the Eternal-class:
    345c2f1731b1b72e00555c7e9761c6131461696848.png

This is the Ouroboros-class:
    541bb4543e6806671c3576e2eebf64411461696797.png

And this? This is the preexisting Wells-class, a Federation-exclusive lockbox ship.
    Wells_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg

Faction-agnostic my backside. They're just shoving Federation designs onto the Roms and Klinks and saying "Meh, everything's fine."
    And none of these 3 ships actually look like Federation ships as we know them from the 22nd to the 24th century. No clear saucer or nacelles, no engineering sections. They just look like some kind of futuristic starship.

Slapping a Federation sticker on a random spaceship design is not automatically making it feel like a Federation design, just like putting a Klingon or Romulan sticker wouldn't suddenly make it feel like a Klingon or Romulan ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm in the camp that sense the T6 ships are modern (or future) that our AoY character will end up in 25th century by the end of the storyline. Sense the T1-T5 ships are TOS style/era ships, I'm guessing that they will have a TOS storyline that allows you to level from 1-50 and then you get into the 25th century. My questions are:

Will AoY characters be able to interact with 25th century characters and join 25th century fleets?
    Will AoY characters have their own social areas (ie: their own ESD)?
    Will 25th century characters get access to the T6 ships in the pack as they appear 25th century and beyond?
    Will 25th century characters get access to the uniforms?
    Are the upgrade kits and the specilization items account locked? Meaning, they are taken on one character but will they then be shareable to all the other characters on the account? AoY characters only or 25th century characters too?
    What is there in this for current characters? For Klingon characters?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)
    STO announcement blogs are terrible. Simply terrible. No real info, tons of "we are excited that you are excited about exciting new stuff excitement" and then they wonder why people complain.

Yes they are. What I consider most enervating at this time is that they simply won't put up disclaimers that the expansion, as always, will be free and the Temporal Agent Pack for 124 Dollars is not the actual expansion. In another thread a new player asked about this and when Delta Rising came around quite a few players bought the Operations pack because they assumed it was the actual expansion.

Not only do we not get substantial information in STOs blogs aside from endless hype, they also almost never add vital information such as this.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree in principle, it can at least be noted that the announcement gave no link to, nor information about, the Temporal Agent pack.

That's true. The pack is however prominently featured in the launcher which is what players see when they download the game I'd think.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I tend to think the target audience of the blogs is often not players, but people that come to the website to figure out what the game is about. putting all the information in one big post would be information overload for those, they are not invested enough to read through all that. IT is ultimately advertisement for people not actively playing.

For the rest of us... Ultimately, we will know all the facts by the time it will be actually relevant, I think - on release. We want to know things earlier, but actual relevant decisions that require critical information do not need to be made before release. But of course that we want to know everything and preferably yesterday is also a way to keep us excited. (If we weren't, we wouldn't care about getting answers.)
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    If I could take at least one of those TOS designs to full end-game capacity, you'd have sold me the big pack instantly and probably got me to play the game more than once in a blue moon again. As it stands, it's more of a game of wait and see, but given the seemingly already determined tiers, I'm not having my hopes up.
    I mean, the new 'modern' ships look really good and the Paladin Class might just be the modern NX lineage I was looking for, but I can just get that one later for my existing characters. The whole point was TOS, and fans having a huge desire to play with TOS ships (especially the Constitution :p ). If only I could have a T6 Ranger... *sigh*

You can use the Ranger skin on the Paladin if you own it (the same as with the other Temporal ships), I believe it was confirmed by @salaminferno on Twitter yesterday.

MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    So excited!!!! Can imagine RP people creating a character that is their 25th time period ancestor in some way. The ships look cool also. Nice to see ships from the 23 time period as in the Original Series I don't remember seeing any others beside the Constitution class From what I remember.
    Actually, one of my characters IS a TOS Romulan. :p The story I used is that she got lost in deep space exploring an unstable wormhole and got assimilated that way. this was mainly used as an excuse for why she wears the TOS outfit. :p

Cool. If possible I can create a Caitian I might have him be my main toons grandfather or something.

I'm with you on that one, I plan on doing the same thing for my main.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    merciantrooopermerciantroooper Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    CochraneSweetJesus.gif
    I though there was nothing that could draw me back to STO, and I have just been proven wrong. This is like a dream come true. My favourite era!! I seriously can't believe it!! The second I am able I will be buying the big pack, those ships look incredible.

I could cry right now....

Edit: Cryptic you have outdone yourselves. Gemini class, my dream of a TOS era four nacelle ship has come true. Have I died and gone to heaven?
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm looking forward to this! I have a TOS character that time traveled his way into the 25th century like a coffee addict skipping line at Starbucks. I suppose I'll re-create him.
  • Options
    I though there was nothing that could draw me back to STO, and I have just been proven wrong. This is like a dream come true. My favourite era!! I seriously can't believe it!! The second I am able I will be buying the big pack, those ships look incredible.

Even before there are any informations at all how the expansion will play out in the first place? So, essentially they could make a lot of money by simply writing advertisments of content planned in a time far far away and people would part with their money on sheer hype alone pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    As someone who grew up watching the original series, I like the introduction of more TOS-themed ships. I am hoping that we can use the bridge and interiors from the TOS Constitution on them.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    merciantrooopermerciantroooper Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Even before there are any informations at all how the expansion will play out in the first place? So, essentially they could make a lot of money by simply writing advertisments of content planned in a time far far away and people would part with their money on sheer hype alone pig-2.gif​​

Yep, I'm fully on the hype train here and I don't care. :)

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

im not and i bet by the time any info does come that agent pack will be at full price.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    This is the Eternal-class:
    345c2f1731b1b72e00555c7e9761c6131461696848.png

This is the Ouroboros-class:
    541bb4543e6806671c3576e2eebf64411461696797.png

And this? This is the preexisting Wells-class, a Federation-exclusive lockbox ship.
    Wells_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg

Faction-agnostic my backside. They're just shoving Federation designs onto the Roms and Klinks and saying "Meh, everything's fine."
    The Ouroboros, to be honest, looks like it has taken design cues from Romulans, with the large 'wings' and the (broken, 'fanged' nose). Give it a Romulan skin and it could probably pass muster as a merely Fed-inspired Rommie design.

Of course, that does not mean it'll be possible to give the Ouroboros a Romulan skin, it doesn't excuse the Eternal, it doesn't mean the Wells connection isn't clear, and that just means the Romulans could maybe possibly have something faction-agnostic-y, the Klingons still wouldn't.
    yreodred wrote: »
    Well played. I alwas thought a TOS themed MMO like STO would be one of my "dream games". What remains to be seen, however, is how this is going to play out. Being able to create a TOS character in a TOS pocket universe, with adventure zones and tasks would be great indeed. Just having a TOS themed character and using them to play the regular content and fighting TNG and post TNG enemies all the time would be a bit silly, though. Please allow us to enter the 23rd century in a designated area to embrace it fully and not just let us fight Borg in 23rd century starships.​​
    Indeed!
    But on the other hand, i just can't imagine they will keep TOS faction seperated from the rest of the game. (wouldn't that be a huge waste of availlable content?)
    I'm really curious how they will integrate TOS faction into the current STO universe.
    If I were to hazard a guess... our 25th century characters are basically temporal operatives (of the 29th century Starfleet, recruited from and primarily acting in our local time) by the current arc. The TOS-Starfleet character might be recruited in a more organized fashion either right from the start or around the level 10 spot (like with the Romulans allying and gaining galactic access) - hence Agents of Yesterday -, with our 'in' to the 25th century being that us and our crew eventually have become more trusted to handle time-travel and temporal incidents on our own, and get access to a means of travel to (and back from) the 25th century period (similarly our 25th century characters might also become more trusted and have a reason to visit the 23rd century from that new FE series they'll have and get access to the same method). Mechanically I'd expect it to work something like the Delta Quadrant - the way to/from the 23rd century sector bloc is a single installation or temporal anomaly (transwarp being, of course, 'prepare for timewarp'!).
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    Are the packs coming to C-STORE?
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    With regards to the rage induced by the Ouroboros and Eternal merely appearing to be Fed-only and/or faction-agnostic (i.e. Cryptic being "lazy", I agree with @thorodal - by the 26th Century (i.e. the 100-year period after the main time period in which the game is set) the Klingon Empire is a member of the Federation, and the Temporal Accords were signed by the 29th Century. The Ouroboros and the Eternal also appear to be of 31st-Century design, since they share aesthetic similarities with, but are by no means directly related to, the Wells and to some extent, the R'Mor and Korath Science Vessel.

R%27Mor.jpeg

Korath_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg
    You also seem to be forgetting that in the Temporal Front mission, you are joined by the U.S.S. P'oh (captained by a GORN and the U.S.S. Tempus - commanded by a ROMULAN. They happen to be flying Wells-class ships, so sorry if you aren't happy with the perceived lack of Romulan and Klingon content.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    cers001 wrote: »
    Are the packs coming to C-STORE?

They will be, but not until AoY is released..most likely in late August/September.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    You can use the Ranger skin on the Paladin if you own it (the same as with the other Temporal ships), I believe it was confirmed by @salaminferno on Twitter yesterday.

Yes, thanks, I've already been informed on Ricossa's tweet after I made that post - therefore I now intend to get the pack. As I die-hard NX Class fan I extremely look forward to the Ranger and Paladin, but I also love the TOS designs and aesthetics so all those TOS skins that can be used on the regular end-game T6 ships will get a lot of mileage with me. Still, in absence of a T6 Connie, the Ranger will be 'THE ship' for me. I always loved imagining being that weirdo die-hard Captain that still commands some very old ship with much dedication and sucess. :tongue::lol:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Although the Ouroboros and the Eternal were both inspired by the Wells, they are cross faction, and chances are, they come from a time period where the Galactic Union already exists, and the three playable factions are designing ships together.

To me, the Eternal looks like it's a mesh of Federation and Romulan design, while the Ouroboros is Romulan and Klingon influenced.

Let's wait for the stats and rest easy that everyone gets new ships to fly around with :smile:

They might even introduce additional ships later. :smile: The Delta Pack doesn't contain everything Delta-related either (see T6 Pathfinder), so there's that for precedent.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    redshirt1981redshirt1981 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    So there will be no T6 Constitution Dreadnought? Shame on you :'(

dreadnaught_entente_var.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    THAT has neither been denied nor confirmed...

Of course, it also hasn't even been mentioned as being a possibility by anybody from Cryptic/PWE at any point since the start of the game in 2010.

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    With regards to the rage induced by the Ouroboros and Eternal merely appearing to be Fed-only and/or faction-agnostic (i.e. Cryptic being "lazy", I agree with @thorodal - by the 26th Century (i.e. the 100-year period after the main time period in which the game is set) the Klingon Empire is a member of the Federation, and the Temporal Accords were signed by the 29th Century. The Ouroboros and the Eternal also appear to be of 31st-Century design, since they share aesthetic similarities with, but are by no means directly related to, the Wells and to some extent, the R'Mor and Korath Science Vessel.
    As a minor point, the Wells is a 29th century design.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    im curious is the price of the pack a sale or permanent.
    i ask as id like to get it but dont get paid till next week.

Sale, but it will hold until the actual exspansion is released and probably a short time after if the follow what happened with the other exspansions.
  • Options
    shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I've been away from STO for a few months. But seeing this announcement in my email and Facebook brought me back. I'm in te mood to play again.
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    Sorry Cryptic but you screwed up here. at least for this faction the Connie should be at minium T5. In TOS there was only 12 of them and only the Federation Class beat them in power.

And not having the Federation class. even more shame.
  • Options
    Sorry Cryptic but you screwed up here. at least for this faction the Connie should be at minium T5. In TOS there was only 12 of them and only the Federation Class beat them in power.

And not having the Federation class. even more shame.
    The connie thing is a problem as they already had the T1 preorder bonus, that's true. But the other thing, why do you think they won't have more ships than those in the package?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif