test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Interested, but need to know a lot more before dropping $129 on what might be a TOS pocket universe that may not (?) interact with the current universe (aka Holodeck server).

OR will it be like the Romulan faction where you play it's storyline but instead of joining a faction at the end; your Captain pops through a portal and magically appears in 2410? :/
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    If CBS signed off on all this TOS stuff and we still can't get an end game Connie, I'm thinking it's a Cryptic bias and not a CBS one.

I never bought that CBS bias story and Cryptic has been known to lie.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    deadtessa wrote: »
    *Face palm* You mean to tell me, that instead of adding another faction to the game that has been requested hundreds of times, like say, The Cardassians, you are adding something that no one asked for and has no continuity with the actual game proper? Seriously? W...T...F? Ugh. I hate TOS. I binge watched the entire genre a while back (ALL of the Star Trek series) and I could barely suffer through the TOS ones. No thank you. You should have given us what we asked for, not some movie sell out tie in.

Boo.

I've been asking for a lot of this stuff for 5 years now. The two ships I have most often requested were the Daedalus and the Wambundu.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Thank you Mr. Ricossa and Cryptic!

Since I joined STO 2 years ago, I assumed that TOS was long gone and forgotten 'like tears in rain' (couldn't help the Roy Batty soliloquy from 'Blade Runner'). I have watched ST continuously since 1966 and now I have a chance to actually participate aboard the old NCC-1701. I am so looking forward to this expansion.

Hmm... I may actually get a Yeoman Rand beehive hairdo for the launch... :)

Jolan'tru & cheers... RRF Captain Cybyl
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • Options
    deadtessa wrote: »
    *Face palm* You mean to tell me, that instead of adding another faction to the game that has been requested hundreds of times, like say, The Cardassians, you are adding something that no one asked for and has no continuity with the actual game proper? Seriously? W...T...F? Ugh. I hate TOS. I binge watched the entire genre a while back (ALL of the Star Trek series) and I could barely suffer through the TOS ones. No thank you. You should have given us what we asked for, not some movie sell out tie in.

Boo.

I've been asking for a lot of this stuff for 5 years now. The two ships I have most often requested were the Daedalus and the Wambundu.

Me Too!

TOS is the first and best Trek.

Myself I suffered through all the years of pacifistic next gen series hoping that someone would get the point.

JJ apparently has and I look forward to further TOS style Trek from him.

YMMV of course.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    If CBS signed off on all this TOS stuff and we still can't get an end game Connie, I'm thinking it's a Cryptic bias and not a CBS one.

Yes...because Cryptic would totally put some kinda bias ahead of making a easy dollar? :p
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    I also grew up on TNG, which I still find to be my most all-round favorite series, so TOS isn't my thing, although there's no going wrong with classic, especially the uniform.

Most of the ships look quite nice, and I have no doubt once seen in-game they will be even better than the screenshots. I already have plenty of ships, and no regrets about the DR pack, so unless there's more end-game content with some serious balance passes to raise the challenge, more items no matter how appealing aren't going to do it for me.

Since this is a new specialization, I'm fully expecting some Romulan and KDF ships down the line with this new temporal mechanic and Cmd seating, hopefully science and carriers.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    I can see it now:

Feds - 4 new universal special ability consoles for use on any fed ship, plus 6 new starship traits and 11 new admiralty ships
    KDF/RR - 2 or 3 new traits, 2 or 3 admiralty ships.

AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    I can see it now:

Feds - 4 new universal special ability consoles for use on any fed ship, plus 6 new starship traits and 11 new admiralty ships

Swalldev posted on Reddit a fact about two of the ships that will be available in the expansion, the Eternal and the Ouroboros:
    :) well they are faction agnostic!

Source: Swall's thread section

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    I can see it now:

Swalldev posted on Reddit a fact about two of the ships that will be available in the expansion, the Eternal and the Ouroboros:

This is good news indeed!
    Still doesn't make my guess any less possible hehe
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    So my first thought on this is, "TOS-era content! I need it!" This despite my reservations about the temporal shenanigans in returning to the Temporal Cold War, which was the weakest part of the Enterprise series. And despite my feeling that the quality of the plot in the last several missions have not been up to STO's prior standards.

Because of the TOS'ness, I was on the verge of dumping money into the game to nab me the fancy TOS-filled pack when I realized there's nothing about a higher tier Connie.

Why do we get a Tier 2 Daedalus, a much older ship by all accounts, no matter which canon or non-canon materials you subscribe to, when the Connie is clearly THE ship of the era?

All these Cryptic-original TOS-themed ships are very pretty indeed, but the much-desired Connie in its own era is considered Tier 1? That's a bit odd. Not only that, they all have T6 variants that, according to twitter posts, can use the TOS ship skins (which I approve of heartily, by the way)...except for the Connie.

This is a ship that, in its era, is considered the top dog of Starfleet, the one that gets the job done. Even if there were heavier, more powerful ships, they were usually considered not as far-ranging or diversified enough for the wide range of tasks the Connie was up for. The original "Starship-class" as TOS called it.

All things said, I'm more of a TMP-era lover, especially for the Connie-refit of the films, but still, I love TOS and find this an odd arrangement.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure it should be a few tiers higher than it is now, compared to the others.

On another topic, I, too, am a firm supporter of more KDF content, and they need TOS lovings.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    millybun wrote: »
    So my first thought on this is, "TOS-era content! I need it!" This despite my reservations about the temporal shenanigans in returning to the Temporal Cold War, which was the weakest part of the Enterprise series. And despite my feeling that the quality of the plot in the last several missions have not been up to STO's prior standards.

Because of the TOS'ness, I was on the verge of dumping money into the game to nab me the fancy TOS-filled pack when I realized there's nothing about a higher tier Connie.

Why do we get a Tier 2 Daedalus, a much older ship by all accounts, no matter which canon or non-canon materials you subscribe to, when the Connie is clearly THE ship of the era?

All these Cryptic-original TOS-themed ships are very pretty indeed, but the much-desired Connie in its own era is considered Tier 1? That's a bit odd. Not only that, they all have T6 variants that, according to twitter posts, can use the TOS ship skins (which I approve of heartily, by the way)...except for the Connie.

This is a ship that, in its era, is considered the top dog of Starfleet, the one that gets the job done. Even if there were heavier, more powerful ships, they were usually considered not as far-ranging or diversified enough for the wide range of tasks the Connie was up for. The original "Starship-class" as TOS called it.

All things said, I'm more of a TMP-era lover, especially for the Connie-refit of the films, but still, I love TOS and find this an odd arrangement.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure it should be a few tiers higher than it is now, compared to the others.

On another topic, I, too, am a firm supporter of more KDF content, and they need TOS lovings.

People have been requesting a tier 5/6 Connie since as long as I've been playing pretty much...and word has always been that CBS nixes the possibility...and looks like even with the 50th anniversary they still say no.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    lianthelia wrote: »

Yes...because Cryptic would totally put some kinda bias ahead of making a easy dollar? :p

Have you read some of Gecko's stuff?

I can totally imagine someone with any modicum of control putting that kind of bias in game and blaming it on CBS. They all prefer the DS9 series and I'm pleasantly surprised that any TOS stuff has actually made it in game.

That said, I believe it would be the best money maker they ever had and why would CBS not want them to make money on the IP?

Why would CBS not want an end game Connie? I've never heard any reasonable explanation beyond, "Just because." That's why I'm thinking shenanigans.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    Speaking of the TOS-Era ships, will we have 3-or 4-digit registry numbers or will that even be possible? The reason I ask is because I don't think we really saw Federation starships with five or more numbers on their registry until the 24th Century.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    millybun wrote: »

People have been requesting a tier 5/6 Connie since as long as I've been playing pretty much...and word has always been that CBS nixes the possibility...and looks like even with the 50th anniversary they still say no.

Oh, no, I've heard that. Still don't think it's a good idea to hold it back, especially for a TOS pack, for TOS content. I mean, the Daedalus at a higher tier? How'd that happen? We should be seeing the base Connie in this pack at Tier 3 at the least. No Tier 6 variant is pretty telling, too.

Just who do I have to write to convince I'd be willing to spend a goodly amount of money for stuff like that?

Like many others, though, hoping they're holding back additional surprises for us.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Wait a minute

TOS Ripped uniforms!?!?

Effing sold. Oh man can't wait for next month so I can put away for this...
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I can see it now:

This is the Eternal-class:
    345c2f1731b1b72e00555c7e9761c6131461696848.png

This is the Ouroboros-class:
    541bb4543e6806671c3576e2eebf64411461696797.png

And this? This is the preexisting Wells-class, a Federation-exclusive lockbox ship.
    Wells_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg

Faction-agnostic my backside. They're just shoving Federation designs onto the Roms and Klinks and saying "Meh, everything's fine."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Six years later and they still cannot develop anything for KDF. We don't even get PVP anymore.

at what point would this be a surprise?
    starswordc wrote: »
    I can see it now:

This is the Eternal-class:
    345c2f1731b1b72e00555c7e9761c6131461696848.png

This is the Ouroboros-class:
    541bb4543e6806671c3576e2eebf64411461696797.png

And this? This is the preexisting Wells-class, a Federation-exclusive lockbox ship.
    Wells_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg

Faction-agnostic my backside. They're just shoving Federation designs onto the Roms and Klinks and saying "Meh, everything's fine."

Their Being faction-agnostic is a pretty clear statement of intent-as you said, they aren't even pretending to be doing a multifaction game anymore. The message, is clear; Leave or play Fed.

The correct response is also clear: "We're not leaving, we're not dropping our faction-specific characters, we're not going anywhere".

I'm thinkiing it may be time, once again, to invade the weekend with a storm of KDF and KDF-Romulan Alts in faction specific ships, doing Faction specific things, let the feddiebears have their cross-faction content all to themselves like they want, and for a couple weeks, only group with "our kind", then point and laugh when the STF problems threads explode with feddybear tears.

It's time to remind the Devs we're still here, and we're not giving in just because they don't think we fit their vision of "real" Star Trek fans.

Let's really give Geko some heartburn.

Amen, brother. Let's see if we can organize that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    I'm not a fan of TOS, I grew up with TNG and the following shows, but I will give it a shot and try out the rewards from the recruitment weeks and test the reputation and specialization coming with the expansion. I guess now we'll get a T5 or T6 Connie after all (even when it's just in it's own universe).

I wonder though ... will TOS captains be able to participate in the normal STO content or will there be an extra server just for the TOS-niverse?

I hope the 4th expansion will be a TNG-era expansion and I'd LOVE that (with an overhaul of the ancient-graphics looking TNG TV show uniforms in STO). Next year we'll celebrate 30 years of TNG, so please bring the 4th expansion in TNG-style, hehe. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    if the Eternal is in fact agnostic that means roms and KDF have a very good sci ship on thier hands and brings a whole new approach to them since it will be the first widely available sci ship for both
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    beauregarduk2beauregarduk2 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm super excited by the news of this new expansion and TOS themed game packs, as are all my friends who play STO. :)

Hopefully, we will also see some TOS related items released for the Klingon and Romulan factions as well? A Klingon D7? Klingon TOS female uniform? TOS re-mastered Gorn ship? TOS re-mastered Romulan ship? :)

I too would like to see the Federation Dreadnought, and scout/destroyer vessels from the Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual released as player ships as well. :) Perhaps even the F.A.S.A. designed TOS ships (e.g. Loknar and Larson destroyers) in addition to the Star Fleet Battles TOS designs already mentioned in previous posts?

Maybe even some additional TOS uniforms/costumes? Such as the Star Fleet engineer coveralls, Scotty's dress uniform/kilt, the TOS environmental suit, or Kirk's 2nd season command tunic?

Some TOS emotes, like 'flip-open TOS communicator ( with chirp sound)', or 'TOS tricorder scan (with iconic sound)' ? :)

And a Nomad pet ("Non sequiter!") would be epic! :)
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Wonder if these new Fed T1 to T4 ships will have a Plas Leech type console... otherwise auction price will go up since the console is character bound and you will need to make a new Fed Toon for this content. They are listed for 65+ mil right now.
  • Options
    thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Guys, guys, please, stop complaining about the Eternal and Ouroboros being faction agnostic and try to remember for a second what Daniels said when he and Archer visited the Enterprise-J: The Klingon Empire is a Federation MEMBER at that point in history. So it only makes sense that as closer/deeper as we get (in)to the Temporal-War-shenanigans the more shared ships we get.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Well played. I alwas thought a TOS themed MMO like STO would be one of my "dream games". What remains to be seen, however, is how this is going to play out. Being able to create a TOS character in a TOS pocket universe, with adventure zones and tasks would be great indeed. Just having a TOS themed character and using them to play the regular content and fighting TNG and post TNG enemies all the time would be a bit silly, though. Please allow us to enter the 23rd century in a designated area to embrace it fully and not just let us fight Borg in 23rd century starships.​​
    Indeed!
    But on the other hand, i just can't imagine they will keep TOS faction seperated from the rest of the game. (wouldn't that be a huge waste of availlable content?)
    I'm really curious how they will integrate TOS faction into the current STO universe.
    themartian wrote: »
    Is that Vic Mignogna doing the narration? I am cautiously optimistic about this and am looking forward to hearing more.
    Agreed, i love Star Trek Continues. And it'd be huge if they would combine both ST:C and ST:O somehow.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Has there been any confirmation or clarification as to whether the ships from the pack will be available to our current characters as well if purchased and so be useable for the 'normal' content, or will they be restricted to the TOS characters and content created for the expansion?
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    I can see it now:

This should be in HUGE RED LETTERS in announcement! Half this thread is people complaining that the pack is Fef-Only.

STO announcement blogs are terrible. Simply terrible. No real info, tons of "we are excited that you are excited about exciting new stuff excitement" and then they wonder why people complain.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    steaen wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation or clarification as to whether the ships from the pack will be available to our current characters as well if purchased and so be useable for the 'normal' content, or will they be restricted to the TOS characters and content created for the expansion?

In a sense, yes - it was comfirmed on Twitter (can't find the link right now) that the Eternal Class and Ouroboros Class will be multi-faction accessable. And all of said ships will be in the C-store as individual purchase options, much like the contents of the DR and LoR packs were.

Thanks - I really like the look of some of the ships in the pack (Ouroboros, Paladin and Theseus mainly) but I'm not sure I could justify getting them, either in the pack or individually, if they were only useable for a fraction of the whole game and not by my main character.

I'm sure a lot of others would feel the same, and it would be pretty crazy of Cryptic to give us all these new ships and then tell us that they can only be used for a specific portion of the available content - fingers crossed for the logical answer to this when it is fully clarified.