test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO should be Recognized for their Maintenance Schedule

taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
Just found out SW Battlefront (on PS4) only does maintenance once a month.

The people who do the maintenance here should be praised.
Once a week like clockwork. + Emergency maintenance when needed.

I had assumed consoles and huge billion dollar gaming companies like EA/Dice did maintenace at least as regularly as they do here in STO...Nope not the case, not even close...
They just release new DLC for SW Battlefront and its filled with bugs which won't be addressed for a month !

I honestly thought the grass was greener on the other side... Boy, was I sorely mistaken.

So thank you STO for taking such good care of your game, on a shoestring budget.
Yes there may be bugs here, but I can see now that you really do work hard on keeping things together. Thank you.
You deserve a lot of praise as far as I'm concerned.

After hearing how a big company like EA cheaps out on this stuff, I'm giving you guys a 10min standing ovation.
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Once a week is standard for MMOs. WoW, SWtOR, LotRO, etc etc all operate on that schedule.

Battlefront is not an MMO, so that's why it doesn't get consistent maintenance.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,057 Community Moderator
    Once a week is standard for MMOs. WoW, SWtOR, LotRO, etc etc all operate on that schedule.

Still... STO's maintenance is more consistant in my experience.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    "Only" once a month is INCREDIBLY energetic on a console. The studios licensing space on consoles have to go through fiercely stringent requirements before patching anything. To jump through those hoops even once a month is amazing.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    That much is true, the maintenance schedule for STO is absolutely regular and you always know what day/time it's going to be down week by week. Unfortunately it's normally just for routine server maintenance or to patch in some event and doesn't usually address any actual bugs.
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    talien wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's normally just for routine server maintenance or to patch in some event and doesn't usually address any actual bugs.
    How can you say they don't usually address any actual bugs when the vast majority of the weekly patches include bug fixes?
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Also take into consideration that NW and CO get updates at the same time as well, so STO is not always getting weekly updates. Any particular week, only one game might see a patch, while other weeks may have none or all three getting a patch in addition to normal maintenance.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Unfortunately it's normally just for routine server maintenance or to patch in some event and doesn't usually address any actual bugs.
    How can you say they don't usually address any actual bugs when the vast majority of the weekly patches include bug fixes?

I'm guessing they're referring to actual bugs that people would rather see fixed that probably the majority of the players either don't experience or can live with.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options

I'm talking about bugs that have been around for years that continue to cause issues for people.
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2016

We both know that the said bug fixes are no more usually than lip service, like the $60 in ships i bought long ago that only work on my admiralty list, which is the only reason i put them back on roster at all.

How about the annoying persisting sector space turn bug, or my wifes continued crashing to desktop on Zaria which has been around how long now.

Thats when the Radeon card clash issue she didn't have before the 11.5/April 12 patch even lets her play at all, she's been online 3 times in 15 days now, bug fixes?, nah.

How about the new one that makes my weapons graphic on both my Tac Cpt and her boffs vanish every time she or they pop any ground skill?, how long is that going to hang around.

When people start claiming STO is the norm for bugs in an MMO i know they either haven't played MMO's that are real polished or they just have some reason to wave flags and blow trumpets for this game.

Long term annoying bugs in this game have gone unfixed for ages, weekly maint. has nothing to do with them.

• Options
    edited April 2016

I'm talking about bugs that have been around for years that continue to cause issues for people.

Kind of sounds like you're saying bugs that don't fit into this category aren't "actual bugs".
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *wonders how the community would react towards EVE's daily one hour restart/data dump...*
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Might want to read tomorrow's Patch Notes and look at some of the things being fixed. Not all new stuff by any means.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Let's not forget that just because they didn't post what they fix sometimes, doesn't mean it wasn't fixed. Case in point : The music issues in mission maps and the Terran mini gun issues where the arm went missing when either one of your away team or your main held it. Ok the second one is probably not a big deal to many but to me it meant alot. It at least told me that someone read the message and responded to it.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User

You mean like the AMD performance issues on the first line of this week's update?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

You mean like the AMD performance issues on the first line of this week's update?
    Cryptic will point the finger at AMD, AMD if they even responded if asked will point the finger at Cryptic, players will get nowhere asking questions.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Let's not forget that just because they didn't post what they fix sometimes, doesn't mean it wasn't fixed. Case in point : The music issues in mission maps and the Terran mini gun issues where the arm went missing when either one of your away team or your main held it. Ok the second one is probably not a big deal to many but to me it meant alot. It at least told me that someone read the message and responded to it.

If i have had something ingame that has been broken for 13 months, it obviously hasn't been fixed, wether they posted it was or not.

And they "did" post numerous times it was fixed.

A good 1/2 dozen tickets got me 0 response, they aren't in the ticket history section, which also is broken, has been for ages, and also has never been fixed.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    @nikeix
    Yeah, perhaps consoles do have more strigent procedures for patches, but I'm not super impressed that they release new DLC that's loaded with bugs. Especially considering the huge name brand attached to the game.

I mean, if a patch is such a big deal, one would think putting out new DLC would recieve the same strigent treatment, but I guess not.
    There's a few really nasty bugs ongoing in SWBF.
    And I guess everyone on console has to wait a month for fixes.

Problem is the bugs are really annyoing, they're not superficial. They're fairly serious, for example, players killed by a grenade will randomly freeze mid air and their body remains there for the rest of the game. Not only that, but the glitched body will block blaster fire.
    Another is a strafing bug where you will randomly get stuck for no reason when strafing in and out of cover.
    You can't move at all until you either suicide or another player kills you. Really detrimental in a shooter where strafing is the difference between life and death.
    There's more but I won't go into detail.
    But those 2 alone are pretty unacceptable. 
    Anyway, it just surprised me that their patching schedule is no where near as regular as here in STO.
    And learning this made me appreciate the work they do here a little more.
    That's all. Not saying its perfect, as others have said there's still longtime bugs found in the game here.. but I think they really do try.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    bluesunshot#7246 bluesunshot Member Posts: 39 Arc User

Cryptic will point the finger at AMD, AMD if they even responded if asked will point the finger at Cryptic, players will get nowhere asking questions.

Like any software compagnies versus hardware compagnies. Always the same song. Point fingers at the others.
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    coldjaguar wrote: »

Like any software compagnies versus hardware compagnies. Always the same song. Point fingers at the others.

And users point the finger at a game company instead of realizing they have lowest specs possible on their hardware, no maintenance on their own equipment, and a network path that has multiple points of failure.

If something crashes, lags, or acts odd the immediate reaction is...damn this game company!!

• Options

Kind of sounds like you're saying bugs that don't fit into this category aren't "actual bugs".

No. I'm saying there are known bugs that have been around for years that are still not addressed and have just been swept under the rug as if the people in charge are hoping players will eventually just accept that it's "part of the game". Some of them haven't even gotten a token "Yes we know this bug exists, but we don't know what causes it."

Fixing new bugs/glitches/oddities that pop up in the regular maintenance cycle is pretty much standard for MMOs, why does it need some special kind of recognition? If you want to give the coders a cookie for doing what they get paid to do, go for it, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to. I'm more wondering about why so many new bugs are popping up in content that's been around for months, especially when said bugs almost always get pointed out on tribble but make it onto holodeck anyway.
  • Options

No. I'm saying there are known bugs that have been around for years that are still not addressed and have just been swept under the rug as if the people in charge are hoping players will eventually just accept that it's "part of the game". Some of them haven't even gotten a token "Yes we know this bug exists, but we don't know what causes it."

Fixing new bugs/glitches/oddities that pop up in the regular maintenance cycle is pretty much standard for MMOs, why does it need some special kind of recognition? If you want to give the coders a cookie for doing what they get paid to do, go for it, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to. I'm more wondering about why so many new bugs are popping up in content that's been around for months, especially when said bugs almost always get pointed out on tribble but make it onto holodeck anyway.
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    *wonders how the community would react towards EVE's daily one hour restart/data dump...*

You mean half an hour.... Sometimes as short as 15 minutes.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User

Then why do we have the same bugs we've had since release?
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Still... STO's maintenance is more consistant in my experience.
    It's still pretty standard. Both WoW and STO are equally consistent with their maintenance schedules.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    bloctoad wrote: »

This is nonsense. We don't currently have the same set of bugs we had at release. Irregardless of a small handful of bugs persisting from release, what does this have to do with the fact that the vast majority of weekly patches include bug fixes?
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User

The point is that a fix was applied. What difference does a non-existent blame game make?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User

Name me ONE bug we have from all the way back to 2010 or whatever.

Name me ONE bug we have from all the way back to 2010 or whatever.

Cloaking Device has been broken since launch. Hell it took me three years to get the Transporter Officer at the Shipyard replaced.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    To me I'm glad games like this does it per week. So this way they can fix issues lot faster. Instead of having to wait weeks to months for a fix.

Even on WoW other players would complain about it. How their gaming was stopped for that day. Until it was finished. Which is sad, cause then they would fuss cause of the issues as well.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.