test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

Comments

• Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

No.

LOL, my thoughts exactly when I saw this thread.

Aesthetics vary strongly person-to-person, but in my book the Vengeance is the most hideous punctuation mark to a long series of incredibly ugly Trek designs in the JJ movies. It makes me cry to look over the evolution of the ship designs for things like the Kelvin or Enterprise, seeing how the design aesthetics of the talented artists were systematically steered towards the ugliest options by JJ during the whole process.

Sadly, he carried his lack of design vision to Force Awakens... the only decent looking tech was that which was directly connected to previous movies in the franchise.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    http://imgur.com/a/h2GiR my ship with upgraded hull an with mask energy sig both have the terran deflector

Well those are spooky looking :grin:. I'm working my captain who will be flying the final result thought the Terran rep right now, so hopefully I'll have those tools soon.

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Just musing with how to come closest to this beast in STO:

Vengeance%20face%20off%20SIG_zpshfeugo7s.jpg

Pretty much the moment I saw it in the movie trailer I was poking my friends, "Hey look, Section 31 built themselves a black helicopter..." and was pleased to see that's exactly how it played out in the movie. I like ship designs that clearly communicate their narrative purpose. I also like that there's no mistaking its Starfleet lineage.

If any of the Intel ships had the classic "swan" layout I could use the Scryer's hollow ring saucer section but that seems to be a no go. Being able to use the Intel Ship Material might have worked out well since that's nicely dark (I expect I'll use the Romulan Rep shields in the cosmetic slot to paint it black if there's no good match among the native Hull Materials). I may still tinker with an Intel kitbash, but I'm mostly resigned to trying to get the side silhouette as close as I can, so I'll be looking at various Federation rigs.

Beyond the perforated saucer it's got a distinctly angular and wide-bellied engineering hull, armored shutters for the deflector, slightly jagged angular pylons with a very small cutout near the base, and blocky, armored nacels with a cross-section that's taller than they are wide. Productions sketches for the vengeance say the forward scoops open up going into warp and what we mostly see in the shots/models are the armored baffles slid forward and together in the better sheltered sub-light position.

Vengeance%20Engineering%20Hull%20SIG_zpspb3sgh7i.jpg

Interestingly the primary weapons are clearly cannons rather than beams. The Vengeance also has a pair of mobile drone platforms (visible in their launch housings on either side of the deflector) that fires torpedoes - a big screen example of the torpedo platform consumable :). I may outfit it with a Vaadwaur cluster torpedo to represent the system.

Vengeance%20drone%20SIG_zps5xa0zzpz.jpg

The description of the weapons that drop down from the hull indicates they're turreted, high volume torpedo launchers. That makes me think maybe the wide angle quantum torpedo launcher or possibly the Omega rep torpedo. The torpedo point defense console is probably the best fit in terms of game mechanics, but doesn't equip on any ship even remotely the right shape.

Should be a fun project to see what I can cobble together :).

if you are looking to create the exact replica, you will want to hold off because in effect you would be copying a ship design you have no right to.

with that stated, this thread is pointless.

one thing is for sure, i am so glad there is no jjcrapverse on trek online!!!

Ya know heres some food for thought, what if PWE got the rights for JJverse Trek Garbage and made a JJtrek Online, ok maybe thats not a good idea as the planet would implode from the sheer amount of suckiness.
  • Options
    diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    YW Nikeix
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    astrorobla wrote: »

No.

LOL, my thoughts exactly when I saw this thread.

Aesthetics vary strongly person-to-person, but in my book the Vengeance is the most hideous punctuation mark to a long series of incredibly ugly Trek designs in the JJ movies. It makes me cry to look over the evolution of the ship designs for things like the Kelvin or Enterprise, seeing how the design aesthetics of the talented artists were systematically steered towards the ugliest options by JJ during the whole process.

Sadly, he carried his lack of design vision to Force Awakens... the only decent looking tech was that which was directly connected to previous movies in the franchise.

So, you saw this as yet another chance to tell us all, 'We hates the Abrams! We hates it foevah!' We got it about five hundred tries back. And all of their posts were much cleverer, funnier and hipper than yours. Yours is just a generic copycat piling on with little or no thought other than a reflexive lashing out which requires no intelligence and shows zero respect for someone else besides yourself who enjoys Star Trek. Nothing original or unique in your post, either. It is the Internet equivalent of the background music played in fine lower middle class grocery outlets all across America.

Look, Mac, the guy is just trying have fun in STO in a way he enjoys. I think he's doing a fine job. I truly hope he gets as close to the Vengeance as the game will allow. If I can help him out in some way I will. So why don't you and your petulant little pretend hipster attitude take a walk. A very long one. Away from anything remotely connected to Star Trek or the Internet. And don't forget to take your Hatorade with you. Far too much of that around here.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    Look, Mac, the guy is just trying have fun in STO in a way he enjoys. I think he's doing a fine job. I truly hope he gets as close to the Vengeance as the game will allow. If I can help him out in some way I will.

Thank you :), and 'thank you' to all of the folks who have contributed to this exploration. Honestly I've been really pleased with the willingness of people to share their time, knowledge, and screenies in pursuit of this project. I'd kind of dismissed the flagships out of hand because of the dual necks and diabolical91 keeps making them look better and better :). People have made a damn good case for the Arbiter/Avenger hybrid. Aside from some issues with the oval saucer, I'm pretty pleased with the T5 version built on the Sovereign rig. I've been pointed to Development lore I would never have heard about without this thread (because I've gone and looked and several of those early "what we were thinking" blogs seem to be entirely gone from the site now). But most of all there's been some simple niceness and civility here, which is not a given on these boards, I'm sad to say.

Yeah, I like the Vengeance and having seen some of the early concepts I find I'm glad they went with what is some ways and incredibly traditional design. I also like the Narada and think its one of the most expressive ship designs I've ever seen. Gearin's Corollary: the product of any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from art -- because you design things to be expressive once you've transcended engineering constraints. In 10 seconds or less of screen time the Narada says exactly what it is: a ship full of people who HATE EVERYBODY. Just like the Vengeance whispered "I'm a Section 31 ship" in my ear literally the second I saw it. Sure, there are things in the JJ movies that are exceedingly stupid, but that's not preventing me from being entertained.

Now excuse me, I need to go get some Terran Taskforce gear :).
  • Options
    HA I WIN! WOO! yeah I make that ship look gooooood walks off
  • Options
    Also, because it was put forward as an option, I give you...

Intel Vengeance~
    Intel%20Vengeance%20SIG_zps4h6v4see.jpg
    Sadly that's an optical illusion that only works in profile that makes the lower nacelles look like an engineering hull.

After doing this a while you realize there really aren't many truly circular saucers out there.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    @nikeix
    That first concept image... though I do kind of like it, I gotta ask... Why did they strap a saucer and nacelles onto a kazoo?
  • Options
    tomorrow after some patches i'll slap the reman shield on see how it looks
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    tousseau wrote: »
    That first concept image... though I do kind of like it, I gotta ask... Why did they strap a saucer and nacelles onto a kazoo?

Because at warp 6.28 the tri-phasic delta-flow over paraflexing resonators produces a subspace vibration that makes Borg helplessly burst into River-Dance.

It's an unbeatable weapon! ((blows kazoo))

:smiley:

I dunno. Artists. They do stuff. Crazy stuff sometimes.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    0.o?

LOL!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Warship Voyager looks mostly like an Intrepid Class Science Vessel, and the Avenger seems quite distinct compared to that.
    latest?cb=20070317102343&path-prefix=en

It is very... blocky, but lacks the protruding parts that were added to the Voyager model for the "Warship" effect.

It doesn't look like WV, it's built like it. The similarities between the Avenger and Intrepid are so close, down to the slope of the saucer. Combined with the full-on fire power of WV and you have the Avenger.
    In the end, I think the inspiration is clearly more the Vengeance, but also in a way to not be too close to it. THe size is probably less a result of trying to make it different to the Vengeance, though, and more due to its role in the game as a maneuverable battle cruiser. It would seem weird if it was similar in size to the larger Fed Cruisers yet be considerably more maneuverable.

It's still not similar in the slightest. The Dreadnought shares its shape with the Constitution/Ambassador/Galaxy, round saucer, oval hull, distinct neck etc. The size is thus because that's what size an Intrepid is.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Your quotes are a bit broken, @artan42. I think I am not quite sure what you mean with "buit like it"?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Your quotes are a bit broken, @artan42. I think I am not quite sure what you mean with "buit like it"?

Sorry. I was trying to quote on my mobile. I was trying to say it's what Warship Voyager would have been built as if SF actually built it (in a similar manner to the Gal-X). Not that it has to look the same, only that the Avenger and WV are blocky armoured battleship variants of the Intrepid.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
  • Options
    I think the Terran gear worked better... Too much cowbel- er, glowing green hexagons with the Reman gear.

((because you can never have too much cowbell :)))
  • Options
    terran shields make the engines all weird an orange though don't like it
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    edited April 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    Plus the Dreadnought is about the size of an Excelsior. The AR Constitution is the same size as the PR refit, with only slightly longer nacelles. There is only one single scene in both films to suggest otherwise and that's the one everybody latches onto for some reason.​​

Yea... I never liked how everything about the ship says she's about the same size as the prime counterpart, but then people say she's as big as a Sovy. We have people who have done measurements based on on screen cues, and the one that makes the most sense discounts only one thing, the TARDIS shuttlebay. Discounting that alone gives the AR Connie an approx. size of 366 meters, which, while larger than even a Refit Connie, is still more understandable and believable than the 700+ meters people like to quote.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... I never liked how everything about the ship says she's about the same size as the prime counterpart, but then people say she's as big as a Sovy. We have people who have done measurements based on on screen cues, and the one that makes the most sense discounts only one thing, the TARDIS shuttlebay. Discounting that alone gives the AR Connie an approx. size of 366 meters, which, while larger than even a Refit Connie, is still more understandable and believable than the 700+ meters people like to quote.

Did you really just use the word believable when talking about Federation starships :wink:? People like to quote the 700+ meters because that's what the people designing/animating it were using as a guide. It's not just the shuttlebay that demands it be bigger, there's quite a few other industrial spaces that are supposed to be inside the hull. I love the detailerific nitpicking that goes into making up numbers by counting stripes and extrapolating numbers of decks, but really it's ok to take the people who actually just know via writer's fiat at face value :).

Plus, you know, "Federation Flagship".
  • Options
    also did some looking around JJ prise is about 366 meters and the Vengeance is about 750 meters if that helps any :P t6 ops oddy is 960.5 at its shortest https://indd.adobe.com/view/5d7ffcd8-7cf8-4561-a13a-5df451ef0511
  • Options

Did you really just use the word believable when talking about Federation starships :wink:? People like to quote the 700+ meters because that's what the people designing/animating it were using as a guide. It's not just the shuttlebay that demands it be bigger, there's quite a few other industrial spaces that are supposed to be inside the hull. I love the detailerific nitpicking that goes into making up numbers by counting stripes and extrapolating numbers of decks, but really it's ok to take the people who actually just know via writer's fiat at face value :).

They weren't. It was scaled up in post. It was always intended to be about the size of the original refit. Thickness of the saucer, rows of windows, size of the little people floating past, the scenes where it's being built. An artistic decision was made about the shuttlebay bit to add to the visual of that scene and the sense of transition. No other part of either film supports it.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    artan42 wrote: »

They weren't. It was scaled up in post. It was always intended to be about the size of the original refit. Thickness of the saucer, rows of windows, size of the little people floating past, the scenes where it's being built. An artistic decision was made about the shuttlebay bit to add to the visual of that scene and the sense of transition. No other part of either film supports it.​​

Exactly. Every visual clue points to Enterprise being smaller, except for the shuttlebay scene. Discount that, and the size is a more reasonable 366 at most as all the details line up for a ship of that size. Scale the AR Connie down and overlay her with the Refit Connie... and wow... things line up.
    enterprise-overlay_zps26eb9949.jpg

new-enterprise-size-comparison-chart-2a.jpg

db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    called it :P 366
  • Options
    http://imgur.com/E7BN94B is with terran shields an deflector
  • Options
    I see what you mean about the orange engines. But man is that purple sheen on the hull purty :).

I'm going back and forth on buying an Arbiter. I'd rather pick up the cross-faction pack so my other captains benefit too, but at $60 I kinda need to check fire until a ship sale comes around (no idea how common those are). I'm about 5 days from finishing the Terran Taskforce rep on my lead Fed-captains, so hopefully I'll be able to post some glossy purple pics next week :).
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    So just for giggles...

T2 Vengeance!
    T2%20Vengeance_zpsk582cddm.jpg
    That's the Excalibur hull, nacelles and pylons with Exeter neck and saucer. Material 4, both colors set to black, and Corvus decals on all sections

Compared to this image from Ex Astra Scientia~
    Vengeance%20profile%20Ex%20Astris%20Scientia%20SIG_zps7clvczmg.jpg

Yeah, the Vengeance is kind of old school :grin:.

Well...keep in mind it's a 23rd century ship. It is literally old school.
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Hearing that the Avenger/Arbiter pulls on some extra armor during fights is definitely intriguing and probably lends more credence to the idea that they were inspired by Into Darkness.

The pre-launch blog for the Avenger (T5) heavily implied that it was this universe's version of the Vengeance, and the stats pretty much lined up with what the U.S.S. Vengeance did on screen. Then, we got in game... and found something the size of Voyager. Going with the canonical listed size, based off the hangar shown, of the JJ-prise, the Vengeance is about the size of an Oddy, and we got this tiny thing. Though, going off what the JJ-prise was supposed to be about the size of the Conny, still shown in the layout of the decks, it'd be closer to a Sovy instead, and Arbiter-Avenger combinations can hit that size.

It's funny, the Prime Timeline Starfleet as a tradition of warships without name, that are smaller than their normal exploration ships. Think about it. The Defiant, the Sovereign (which is smaller than a Galaxy and still partly an exploration ship), the Prometheus is around Voyager's size. As opposed to the Romulans who go bigger is better, Starfleet goes for highly mobile very tough weapons platforms.
    Based off the hangar size of the Alt-U Connie? So you're using the estimate that conflicts with the rest of the movie?

Yeah the other size listed makes more sense.

So you're saying that the JJPrise, is the same size as a Refit Constitution based on things like torpedo launcher size and the size of the bridge? I'm perfectly fine with that, if they hadn't stated and put on their website and the DVD that the thing was bigger than a Galaxy.
    Sounds like a D**k measuring contest to me in some ways. In any event, I just want the thing to be logical.

But I'm more than happy to go with the original this is a normal size Constitution class theory and disregard JJ's ridiculous attempt to make it the size of a freakin Star Destroyer (I know it would be only half the size by I trust you can forgive my hyperbole).

I'm much more interested that they buried the lead on the fact that the thing has a freakin' Transwarp Drive.
    http://imgur.com/a/h2GiR my ship with upgraded hull an with mask energy sig both have the terran deflector

She's a beauty. Better looking than the Vengeance actually.
    tousseau wrote: »
    @nikeix

It reminds of the old Franz TOS Dreadnought class, with the shuttlebay in the front of the Stardrive.
    I see what you mean about the orange engines. But man is that purple sheen on the hull purty :).

I'm going back and forth on buying an Arbiter. I'd rather pick up the cross-faction pack so my other captains benefit too, but at $60 I kinda need to check fire until a ship sale comes around (no idea how common those are). I'm about 5 days from finishing the Terran Taskforce rep on my lead Fed-captains, so hopefully I'll be able to post some glossy purple pics next week :).

Yeah I'm gonna have to get a Terran shield, because I love that hull.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    http://imgur.com/E7BN94B is with terran shields an deflector

I like the blue bussard collectors for this. The Kre-O (I guess LEGO(R) wouldn't give them a good enough deal) Vengeance I have above my desk has blue bussard collectors, so if it has to have colored ones, blue feels right to me.

Too bad that is a Rep I've been neglecting, since I didn't much like the PvEs for it, and most of chars didn't hit 60 for the battlezone until after Admiralty came out.

With as awesome as the trait is, I would recommend waiting for the three-pack. As to sales, I'm unsure and Cryptic has been stingy and random with the sales in the past.

Kurak and Arbiter are both impressive battle cruisers. The Morrigu is a more powerful and flexible destroyer class ship, but has to go up against the Scimitar, so it's in an odd spot when it comes to recommending on it's own.

• Options
    they are purple-ish
  • Options
    Personally, I think the Arbiter/Avenger hybrid looks the closest to what you're looking for. It's also by far the cheapest as purchasing the T6 Arbiter automatically grants you access to the T5 costume options. The only thing you wouldn't get would be the console from the T5 ship which isn't worth the additional purchase on it's own. I think you can get pretty close to what you want with just the one purchase.

Am I crazy or is that a new signature image @seaofsorrows ? :grin:

The Arbiter/Avenger hybrid is definitely a strong contender. The windows on the nacelles closing up in combat is a sweet little touch (though I'd have to bug report it relentless if only one side is working). At this point I'm largely committed to getting one and I'm just holding out for a sale so I can get the 3-pack. I also want to see how the T2 and T5-based versions look with the Terran Rep shield. I don't think there are any more swan-like rigs to test.