test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    it was his second ONSCREEN attempt - on screen is all that matters, remember?​​

McCoy specifically called him out on him going back for a third before that. So that was his third attempt. He never even had a first onscreen attempt.
    James T. Kirk: Bones, doesn't it bother you that no one's ever passed the test?

Leonard 'Bones' McCoy: Jim, it's the Kobayashi Maru. NO one passes the test, and no one goes back for seconds, let alone thirds.

James T. Kirk: [leaving] I gotta study.

Leonard 'Bones' McCoy: Study, my TRIBBLE.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Hmm. After a bit more browsing and your suggestions, Counter Command deflector/warp core + Nukara impulse/shield does look pretty spiffy :). Lockbox weapons remain an unknown, but phaser-based does seem likely... and I expect to have a small pile of them from opening boxes trying to get a grand prize for my Romulan captain :).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I'm hoping for a Compression Bolt Pistol.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    pretty sure based on web browsing the vengeance wont have cloak... but hey its not "official" yet lulz
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    It doesn't cloak in the movie. The design discussions are about it having a low sensor profile all the time not a cloak some of the time. It's already going to be THE deadliest thing in the game... the cloak's unnecessary.

*shrug* I'd like it to be faithful to the source material rather than faithful to the DPS-meta, but I'll fly it either way.
    What's the difference? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    So I've got the Nukara Impulse+Shields now (and I LOVE those yellow nacelles...) and picked up my Counter-Command Deflector+Warp Core and so far they've felt really solid. I've been primarily a beam broad-sider since I cam back to the game so I'm just now learning the joys of cannon-fu (and dayam, its violent...).

Weapon-wise I'm hoping to 4 cannons + torpedo in front and 3 turrets on the rear slots. A lot of that still hinges on any possible lockbox weaponry. I want to narrow down a good but fast cycling torpedo so I can use the supercharged weaponry/weapon system synergy ship traits to good effect.

In space traits I have Grace Under Fire (miracle worker reset), Secret Command Codes, and Helmsman as fairly core, but would be interested in hearing other suggestions for a cannon/torpedo hybrid. (Other than Inspiration Leader which I am NOT paying for :tongue:...)

I guess there's some Doffs I should be considering, but high end Doff strategy is a bit above my system mastery level at present...
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    For DOffs, I'd go with a Drake build on most anything with only a fixed Comm. Eng., with two or three blue-or-better Damage Control Engineers with chance to reduce cooldown on Emergency Powers when used. That way you can roll with just one EPtS and one EPtW and have pretty nice up-time on them both. I can't remember what other DOffs I'm running on my Arbiter, probably Energy Weapons officers with chance to increase either CritH or CritD on firing weapons.

Traits are complicated, and span an entire range of uses and costs. It really depends on your goals and budget. Also, there's likely to be more Traits in the upcoming lockbox too.

If you wouldn't mind, I've heard the term 'Drake Build', but never really understood what core skills/rotation it refers to.

I don't have the T6 battlecruisers pack yet, so I don't have emergency weapon cycle (I think that's the arbiters ship trait). It sounds like that meshes well with any build that pounds the EPtW button though :).

Goal is really just a semi-movie-faithful pew-pew machine :). Hence the phasers/1 torpedo and an interest in stupid hybrid tricks :tongue:. I'll be using an Engineer captain, so while it won't hit as hard as it possibly could, it'll be more forgiving of my mistakes. I expect I'll respect my skill points to create something specifically for this one ship. I do hope to keep surgical strikes III on the commander Intel ability slot (fun skill that).

As to budget, I guess I'd like to keep it under around 25million per slot? I don't mind buying a few exotic items if the return on investment is good as this is essentially my Federation main. I already have a set of 4 Vulnerability Locators [phaser] so I'm expecting to just port those over. I haven't really dug into console choices yet.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    If you wouldn't mind, I've heard the term 'Drake Build', but never really understood what core skills/rotation it refers to.

I don't have the T6 battlecruisers pack yet, so I don't have emergency weapon cycle (I think that's the arbiters ship trait). It sounds like that meshes well with any build that pounds the EPtW button though :).

Goal is really just a semi-movie-faithful pew-pew machine :). Hence the phasers/1 torpedo and an interest in stupid hybrid tricks :tongue:. I'll be using an Engineer captain, so while it won't hit as hard as it possibly could, it'll be more forgiving of my mistakes. I expect I'll respect my skill points to create something specifically for this one ship. I do hope to keep surgical strikes III on the commander Intel ability slot (fun skill that).

As to budget, I guess I'd like to keep it under around 25million per slot? I don't mind buying a few exotic items if the return on investment is good as this is essentially my Federation main. I already have a set of 4 Vulnerability Locators [phaser] so I'm expecting to just port those over. I haven't really dug into console choices yet.

you may want to look into Intimidating Strikes dirt cheap trait, 10% chance confuse on every trop hit.

also Counter Command Ordnance, phaser turret, good photon torp so quick ish firing rate plus canon ish. the non tact console has turn rate boost which it may need rest is mostly power level boost. tact console probably should be ignored but the 2 and 3 piece are decent.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2016
    Cool. That character has 16 isomorphic whatsits laying around from a couple days playing in the battle zone so I'll definitely give the CC munitions set a look :).
    edited June 2016

It's kind of an older one that's partially lost it's meaning, but in essence, one EPtS, one EPtW, and a quick Engineering hull heal and whatever DOffs to make that happen. 3x DCEs DOffs and Aux2SIF is the most common. Can also be Aux2Bat with Technician DOffs, with Engineering Team for the heal. Just keep the EPt skills in rotation, as each hit has a chance to reduce the cooldown of both with DCEs, with Aux2SIF held in reserve or spammed per your preference. Same basic thing with Aux2Bat, just with Aux2Bat being hit when optimal.

It's one of the must-have rated traits. I went with the full Arbiter/Kurak/Morrigu pack and don't regret it, and I got good mileage out of all three ships on top of the trait.

Pretty decent budget. With most of your Eng being consumed with Intel abilities it looks like, consider picking up the Ablative Shell Trait during the next all-lockbox-drop event (likely middle of the upcoming week) for a nice automatic heal after taking a bit of damage. I'm not up on all the DPS traits to give a whole lot of recommendations, and the Gateway doesn't show my Traits so I can't even look up what I'm using without firing up the game.

As for consoles, do you have the ever-nice-and-expensive Plasmonic Leech? It might be worth throwing a decent chunk of your budget into if you don't.

A dead cheap option is the Quantum Phase Converter console from the mission 'Sunrise', it gives a bit of Phaser damage, a decent amount of DrainX to feed the Leech, a small bit of extra Aux, and kick-starts your Aux if it goes offline. It's upgradeable too. It gets chucked into the Eng consoles of pretty much all of my Phaser boats.

edited June 2016
    And another good day at Project: Vengeance headquarters :blush:

Vengence_zpscwi5v1cu.jpg

I've also been practicing with EPtW with 2 blues and a purple on cooldown reduction duty. So far I like it. I should get another purple from completing tier 4 of Engineering doff missions.

The infinity boxes are already changing the landscape. I should have a much easier time getting a plasmonic leech in the process of building up a pile of lobi to buy this beast.

Edit: Nevermind - I got a plasmonic leech console on my very first infinity box. :sweat_smile:
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's coming...

venegance2.jpg

venegance1.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    And another good day at Project: Vengeance headquarters :blush:

Vengence_zpscwi5v1cu.jpg

I've also been practicing with EPtW with 2 blues and a purple on cooldown reduction duty. So far I like it. I should get another purple from completing tier 4 of Engineering doff missions.

The infinity boxes are already changing the landscape. I should have a much easier time getting a plasmonic leech in the process of building up a pile of lobi to buy this beast.

Edit: Nevermind - I got a plasmonic leech console on my very first infinity box. :sweat_smile:

Lol. Congrats on getting the Plasmonic Leech on the first pull.

On the Lobi, the Vengeance might not be Lobi, it's all supposition at this point that it could be Lobi store, Ultra Rare prize is also a possibility. I would hold onto keys for a bit if that's your main goal. If there's other things in the Infinity Box that you want, buy a few stacks with Dil and save them for later.

I kinda find it funny that Cryptic is showing ESD warp-in completely surrounded by the 31st Century AoY pack ships, but only one KT Connie and Vengeance. I think Cryptic is over-estimating their AoY pack sells and underestimating the number of KT ships that will be flown. Also a bit humorous is that apparently no one besides the TOS char being kicked to the 25th century has a freebie ship.
    Yeah. I just wanted to get a feel for the new boxes and ended up with 3 plasmonic leeches and 2 inspirational leadership re-sequencers. I've had my fun and am now waiting for the main event to start :).

I have an Annorax still in the box for trade-bait if the Vengeance proves to be some gawdawful mega-super-OMGWTFBBQ prize and not the lobi ship for this set. But I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that as I have a Vulcan Tactical Captain who has been waiting very patiently for the ship she was created to fly to finally be awarded to her. Fingers crossed!
    I love everything bout the look of the Vengeance except the hole in the saucer....
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    i like the hole...it's in the shape of a V - V for Vengeance!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I generally like anything that questions some of the blithe assumptions of the setting. The disk shape doesn't make any sense to begin with, so poking holes in it hardly seems disastrous to me. Its actually reined way in from earlier exploratory sketches that put all kinds of negative space inside the frame.

I generally like anything that questions some of the blithe assumptions of the setting. The disk shape doesn't make any sense to begin with, so poking holes in it hardly seems disastrous to me. Its actually reined way in from earlier exploratory sketches that put all kinds of negative space inside the frame.
    I don't mind the concept of doing abnormal things but, for me, the look of that hole in the saucer just doesn't work so well. Won't stop me from buying it if its in the c-store, just not an instant favorite look like the TMP Enterprise or Sovereign was.
    Sure. I don't hold it up as the best possible example of the use of negative space, but getting it on to the big screen moves us closer to many other open-disk designs...

starship-e.jpg
    now see, THAT, I like
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Sure. I don't hold it up as the best possible example of the use of negative space, but getting it on to the big screen moves us closer to many other open-disk designs...

starship-e.jpg
    I would love to see this ship in STO... as an enemy ship that I can blow up repeatedly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Works for me... there's very few ships we get to blow up we don't also eventually get to play.
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zaxNKIijm0
    Starship Trait - Target Rich Environment(from blog):
    "When damaging any foe with Cannon: Scatter Volley or Beam: Fire At Will, gain a stacking bonus to outgoing weapon damage for a small amount of time."

Depends on numbers, damage category, and how fast it stacks and goes away, but it could be pretty OP.

The OPnes continues with it's console(from blog):
    "Console – Universal – Broadside Emitter Arrays. This technology is basically additional banks of emitter arrays, mounted on the exterior 'broad side' arcs of the ship. In order to minimize their power draw and performance impact, these emitters can only be powered up for brief periods of time, and their targeting sensors are set to automatically acquire targets. In an attempt to make up for their limited usage, they have been set to fire at an extremely rapid pace. These arrays also offer a passive increase to the recharge of all Captain Abilities, while also increasing current and max Weapon Power. (Note: Sources of max power do not stack – only the strongest applies, per subsystem.)"

It'll depend on exact numbers, but recharge reduction to all Captain Abilities could be very nice depending on magnitude and if it stacks with All Hands on Deck. More max Weapon Power, even limited to when OSS is not running, is nice. My guess is +5, which means 130 active weapon power whenever OSS ends. 130 weapon power is nice on my Galaxy and D'Deridex that run that via their consoles. I'm definitely planning on going with a Fleet Spire core because of that, as keeping 130 weapon power fed needs more EPS, and the power drain resist is handy (especially as I'm likely going to be grinding Nukara marks).

I'm planning on using this ship on my TOS char, as the rather nice stuff for the Temporal Recruit is too tempting, and if I'm gonna grind, I'm going to do it in style.
    Next Wednesday officially can't get here fast enough.

#LOBI4THEWIN
    Missed this the first time through the blog:
    "Within the Space Weapons choice, players will find either a Kelvin Timeline Phaser Emitter Array, or a Kelvin Timeline Photon Torpedo Launcher. The Emitter Arrays feature unique visual effects which resemble rapidly firing cannons, but are built to take advantage of beam firing modes and have similar firing arcs to beams. Kelvin Phasers have a chance to briefly disable the targeted foe, and all other foes within a small radius around the primary target. Kelvin Timeline Photon Torpedoes share most of the same attributes as standard Photon Torpedoes, except for coming standard with a [Reload] modifier which allows them to recharge more quickly."

Well, actually including the factional torps in the boxes this time. Quick firing torps that look right, covered now.

However... No cannon-type weapons. Only emitters that respond to beam abilities.
    Next Wednesday officially can't get here fast enough.

#LOBI4THEWIN

I'm glad that the Vengeance is going to be Lobi as well, almost positively able to snag it.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I dunno, geting this ship seems a bit cheating when trying to recreate the USS vengeance, isn't it? :p

The Phaser Emitters will probably be similar to the Vaadwaur Polaron Emitters. They are also technically beams, but look like cannons. I think this is a weapon pack I'll "need

I just hope I can make enough EC with selling keys to get the Connie and the Vengeance. But what if everyone opening the lockboxes will want them for themselves? :open_mouth:

EDIT: Dear Forum Software, I do not want to see your dumb smiley auto-completion thingy all the time. Stop it, damn it!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited July 2016
    Well, now I'm more figuring out how I want to load one rather than kitbashing it into existence :).

That the Kelvin weapons are beams was a bit of a shock. But having some rapid fire photon torpedoes to work with is awesome :).

And another option is 6 months form now the KT box will probably fold into the infinity box tables. If possible the infinity weapon boxes we have now will update to include emitters or at the very least you can get them then while trying for rarer prizes.