test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
Just musing with how to come closest to this beast in STO:

Vengeance%20face%20off%20SIG_zpshfeugo7s.jpg

Pretty much the moment I saw it in the movie trailer I was poking my friends, "Hey look, Section 31 built themselves a black helicopter..." and was pleased to see that's exactly how it played out in the movie. I like ship designs that clearly communicate their narrative purpose. I also like that there's no mistaking its Starfleet lineage.

If any of the Intel ships had the classic "swan" layout I could use the Scryer's hollow ring saucer section but that seems to be a no go. Being able to use the Intel Ship Material might have worked out well since that's nicely dark (I expect I'll use the Romulan Rep shields in the cosmetic slot to paint it black if there's no good match among the native Hull Materials). I may still tinker with an Intel kitbash, but I'm mostly resigned to trying to get the side silhouette as close as I can, so I'll be looking at various Federation rigs.

Beyond the perforated saucer it's got a distinctly angular and wide-bellied engineering hull, armored shutters for the deflector, slightly jagged angular pylons with a very small cutout near the base, and blocky, armored nacels with a cross-section that's taller than they are wide. Productions sketches for the vengeance say the forward scoops open up going into warp and what we mostly see in the shots/models are the armored baffles slid forward and together in the better sheltered sub-light position.

Vengeance%20Engineering%20Hull%20SIG_zpspb3sgh7i.jpg

Interestingly the primary weapons are clearly cannons rather than beams. The Vengeance also has a pair of mobile drone platforms (visible in their launch housings on either side of the deflector) that fires torpedoes - a big screen example of the torpedo platform consumable :). I may outfit it with a Vaadwaur cluster torpedo to represent the system.

Vengeance%20drone%20SIG_zps5xa0zzpz.jpg

The description of the weapons that drop down from the hull indicates they're turreted, high volume torpedo launchers. That makes me think maybe the wide angle quantum torpedo launcher or possibly the Omega rep torpedo. The torpedo point defense console is probably the best fit in terms of game mechanics, but doesn't equip on any ship even remotely the right shape.

Should be a fun project to see what I can cobble together :).

Comments

• Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Don't forget that Vengeance can fire it weapons while in warp.

You might be able to get a similar build in STO, but it will be completely worthless due to game mechanics :).

Just take the scimitar according the movie:
    52 pulse disruptor cannons;
    27 photon torpedo launchers;

Putting some Cannons on that fat behind.. I did that when it came in 2012 to STO, takes weeks for me to turn that baby around to get inside the cannons arc.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    apulse wrote: »
    Don't forget that Vengeance can fire it weapons while in warp.

The game frowns on me mugging people in sector space. I'm prepared to accept this limitation :).
    You might be able to get a similar build in STO, but it will be completely worthless due to game mechanics :).

People keep telling me you can clear most content with 10k DPS. I think I can squeeze 10k DPS out of whatever I end up with :). I don't require it be great mechanically to be fun to zip around in.
    Putting some Cannons on that fat behind.. I did that when it came in 2012 to STO, takes weeks for me to turn that baby around to get inside the cannons arc.

Yeah. It'll really depend on what I end up using for the underlying ship.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    The Avenger is supposed to be inspired by the Vengeance, isn't it? It lacks the size, but it has the right hull colors and is clearly a Star Trek style ship.
    The Endeavour otherwise might also be used as a basis, or at least the Endeavours saucer and perhaps hull.
    I think there are no other split saucer ships beyond the Scryer.

Weapon-Wise, I guess it seems like the JJTrek weapons are more cannons than beams. Single Cannons, Turrets or Dual Cannons might look closest to what we see on screen.
    The Tier 5 Avenger also has a special torpedo launcher module that drops 2 drones that fly toward your target and shoot on the way there, which also seem inspired by the Vengeance.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    People keep telling me you can clear most content with 10k DPS. I think I can squeeze 10k DPS out of whatever I end up with :). I don't require it be great mechanically to be fun to zip around in.

Agree, I don't care so much for elite dps, I play because it is fun and often do builds on that same thought instead of how I achive X-dps.
    Yeah. It'll really depend on what I end up using for the underlying ship.

I would say Majestic class or Noble class
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Assault_Cruiser

However, I have no tip on a good skin that will make the hull more darker beside from type 4 (or was it 3?) in customizing the ship.
    Perhaps the Jem'hadar set and some Tretryon cannons?
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    The Avenger is supposed to be inspired by the Vengeance, isn't it? It lacks the size, but it has the right hull colors and is clearly a Star Trek style ship.
    The Endeavour otherwise might also be used as a basis, or at least the Endeavours hull.

Weapon-Wise, I guess it seems like the JJTrek weapons are more cannons than beams. Single Cannons, Turrets or Dual Cannons might look closest to what we see on screen.

Holy heck! The Avenger's Universal Console: Variable Auto-Targeting Armament is unmistakably the Vengeance's weapon platforms in STO form!!

Ok, this might be a shorter project than I expected :smiley:.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Some variations with the Avenger/Arbiter:
    Gallery: http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Mustrum_Ridcully/library/STO Vengeance
    Avenger_06_zps16jmfodb.jpg
    Avenger_04_zpsv4ks6fcl.jpg
    Avenger_01_zpsrjsrwety.jpg
    Avenger_05_zpsoeyswhqu.jpg

Sorry for the superflous lower bottom, but I was too lazy to actually take different versions out of the editor or to edit the screens manually. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    you mean imgur.com/6EZCQC6 this 1?
  • Options
    I'm hoping to not resort to the flagships because of the two necks. Is that the Romulan Shields? I do like how even the deflector is blacked out in that shot.

I've started tinkering in the ship appearance vendor and found some mixes starting with the t5 Sovereign that were looking fairly promising. Far from perfect, but I could at least occasionally get the warp nacelles above the line of the saucer (with Imperial pylons). I'm prepared to cough up the bucks to get the VATA console, now I'm just trying to figure out if I need any other z-store ships to make this work better.

mustrumridcully0, that last shot looks very promising. The hull/pylons look really good for the silhouette I'm aiming for. That's the Arbiter hull?
  • Options
    xanderkentxanderkent Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Look at the Imperial skin for the Fleet Assault Cruiser with type 4 skin
    If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    That last pic he posted is the Avenger Saucer, Nacelles, and Pylons and the Arbiter Hull. The skin is the Avenger skin. I know this because it is the same skin setup I use on my Arbiter. Which would probably be the better choice to attempting to emulate the Vengeance from the film
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Bear in mind that the Variable Auto-Targeting Armament console only works on battlecruisers. Not any other cruiser type.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Alright, experiments are underway in earnest with the T5 hulls. Fortunately the captain I was planning to have fly this beast has the Imperial skin unlocked from way back when so I can mix and match with it without buying a fleet assault cruiser.

So far my best parts 'n paint looks like~

V-test%20T5%20parts_zpsx5tggdh0.jpg
    Giving me a pretty good profile silhouette~
    V-Test%20T5%20side%20SIG_zpsgsxbhiy2.jpg
    V-test%20T5%20approach%20SIG_zpsivc0kk9m.jpg
    I think I'm gonna have to buy the battle cruisers though to actually mount the VATA console. This project is getting pricey ;). On the bright side I should have a Romulan Rep shield in the next day or so letting me paint anything blackest black.

If I can mount the VATA console on an assault cruiser I may just join the "T6 Sovy nao!" camp :).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    psiameese wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the Variable Auto-Targeting Armament console only works on battlecruisers. Not any other cruiser type.

Yeah, I was sort of expecting that to bite me in the aft shuttle bay.

The Federation has 5 battlecruisers (I'm taking it in faith you can mount the VATA on a command battlecruier). Can you mix and match anything between the 3 Command Battlecruisers and the Avenger/Arbiter for ship appearance? It looks like there might be some mixes of the Command trio that could give you a nice profile but more parts is more chances to dial it in. All the command ships seem to have a really long tail on the engineering hull that's not ideal.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

No.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    psiameese wrote: »

Yeah, I was sort of expecting that to bite me in the aft shuttle bay.

The Federation has 5 battlecruisers (I'm taking it in faith you can mount the VATA on a command battlecruier). Can you mix and match anything between the 3 Command Battlecruisers and the Avenger/Arbiter for ship appearance? It looks like there might be some mixes of the Command trio that could give you a nice profile but more parts is more chances to dial it in. All the command ships seem to have a really long tail on the engineering hull that's not ideal.

Before you spend any money/Zen/Dilithium that you might end up regretting:

The console works only on the Avenger and Arbiter. Other ships that might seem like they are BattleCruisers are not included. I think that's the general Tier 5 and Tier 6 console rule - it can only be equipped on the ship they came with, and its refits.

And costume parts are generally only combinable between refits or variants of one ship. The only exception are the Fed Intel ships that can use each other's nacelles despite not being variants of the same ship. And I suppose the Ha'feh/Ha'Nom/Ha'apax series of ships, where the former two are basically parts of each other.
  • Options
    The Federation has 5 battlecruisers (I'm taking it on faith you can mount the VATA on a command battlecruier).
    Before you spend any money/Zen/Dilithium that you might end up regretting:

The console works only on the Avenger and Arbiter. Other ships that might seem like they are BattleCruisers are not included. I think that's the general Tier 5 and Tier 6 console rule - it can only be equipped on the ship they came with, and its refits.

Good timing. Thank you. I was about to go drop $50 on an Avenger and some keys, to get a console that plainly says "Equippable on: Starfleet Battlecruisers" but now I know better. Sigh. It's like words having meaning is just too much trouble for people.
    And costume parts are generally only combinable between refits or variants of one ship. The only exception are the Fed Intel ships that can use each other's nacelles despite not being variants of the same ship. And I suppose the Ha'feh/Ha'Nom/Ha'apax series of ships, where the former two are basically parts of each other.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting interplay between the Avenger/Arbiter and the Concorde/Geneva/Presidio, but one of the few z-store ships I do have is the Eclipse Intel Cruiser, so that got my hopes up.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yes, the game uses some very confusing terminology to determine ship types. 'Battlecruisers' refer to the Avenger and Arbiter as to where the Presidio, Geneva and Concorde are 'Command Battlecruisers.' The Avenger or Arbiter consoles do not work on the Command ships.

Honestly, it's silly that they called the Command Ships 'Battlecruisers,' when they are clearly just Federation Cruisers. The label of Battle Cruiser on the Command ships really serves no point other then to cause confusion.

And you're right, ship cosmetic parts are also not shared between the Avenger/Arbiter and the Command ships. The only item that can be shared is the Console from the Samsar which is technically part of the Command Cruiser set but can be equipped on any ship.

Personally, I think the Arbiter/Avenger hybrid looks the closest to what you're looking for. It's also by far the cheapest as purchasing the T6 Arbiter automatically grants you access to the T5 costume options. The only thing you wouldn't get would be the console from the T5 ship which isn't worth the additional purchase on it's own. I think you can get pretty close to what you want with just the one purchase. The purchase of the Arbiter gets you all the costume options and also happens to be the best fed ship in the game. It's a highly effective ship with a good console and a great trait. Seems to me that's the most efficient way to go.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Battlecruiser is a specific class name for Starfleet in the game, not a ship class like it is for KDF. It's like if the console said "assault cruiser". That really indicates a specific set of ships, not just anything...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    To my eye "Battlecruiser" has a very specific game meaning - it's a cruiser which can mount dual cannons. EVERY "battlecruiser" from every faction meets the criteria, a quality that neatly and cleanly distinguishes them from just plain cruisers (have a peek in the Flagships and cannons thread going on in a forum near you right now...).

The Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio are correctly tagged as "Battlecruisers" because they are cruisers that can mount Dual Cannons. Its the two consoles that should either be re-written correctly or have their flags changed so they do in fact work on "Federation Battlecruisers". Because there are five of them.

I may end up eventually getting an Arbiter for the Ship trait and the option to fly a "5/3 Feddie-Scimitar". The kit bash is an ok stab at the Vengeance. But I'll probably keep studying my options for now because I feel like there's better visual fits out there waiting to be found even if it costs me the perfect fit VATA console.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Battlecruiser is a specific class name for Starfleet in the game, not a ship class like it is for KDF. It's like if the console said "assault cruiser". That really indicates a specific set of ships, not just anything...

Not exactly.

They use the 'Battlecruiser' name on The Avenger/Arbiter as well as on the Command Ships (Presidio/Geneva/Concorde.) Those ships have nothing in common but still have the term 'Battlecruiser' stamped arbitrarily on their description. It's a class for the KDF, on the Fed side it's a generic term that they use anytime they think it will help a ship sell. They further complicate it by having consoles like the Avenger/Arbiter that say it can be used on 'Federation Battlecruisers.' Yes, that means ships that are part of the 'T6 Battlecruier' pack, but it's easy to see how players could get confused by this.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah "Those ships have nothing in common but still have the term 'Battlecruiser' stamped arbitrarily on their description." would be completely untrue. The Avenger, Arbiter, Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio can all mount dual cannons. Just plain cruisers can't. That's the line sharp as a blade running through the whole game as to what "Battlecruiser" means.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah "Those ships have nothing in common but still have the term 'Battlecruiser' stamped arbitrarily on their description." would be completely untrue. The Avenger, Arbiter, Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio can all mount dual cannons. Just plain cruisers can't. That's the line sharp as a blade running through the whole game as to what "Battlecruiser" means.

The Yamato can load dual cannons.

So can the Eclipse..

So can the Jupiter.

None of them are 'Battlecruisers.'
  • Options
    Excellent :). Counter examples to examine.

The Jupiter's not a cruiser at all. Carrier is a distinct class. It has a 3/3 load out, more Sci than Engineering seating and consoles, and has target subsystem commands rather than rather than cruiser commands. Most dedicated (2 hangar) carriers including the Atrox, Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier, Narcine, Obelisk, Recluse, and Vo'Quv can mount dual cannons. The Kar'fi seems to be the only one that doesn't.

Yamato is listed as a "Dreadnought Cruiser." The wiki ship table puts it on a separate line for Dreadnoughts, treating it as neither a battlecruiser nor a cruiser. The cross faction ship table also separates out dreadnoughts from the standard cruiser grouping with dreadnought being a super-type that has both cruiser-like and science-like leanings.

The Eclipse... is a fly in my ointment. Good eye :).
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a big issue with some of the naming conventions in this game. :)

Anyway, I guess we're getting off topic, have you narrowed your choice of ship down to help get what you want? Personally, I think the Avenger/Arbiter Kitbash looks pretty good.
  • Options
    I don't have the command battlecruisers (yet ;)) so I can't personally tinker with their parts to see how close they come. Servers are down ATM, but when they come back I'll eye them to the extent that I can in the requisition window. Maybe I can do up a parts list and ask some kind soul to model it for me :). I'll also double check what I can do with the t6 flagships again, although my first quick attempt made me think the t5 with images posted above in thread came closer. The Sovereign and its close cousins really are lovely examples of the "Swan" breed. Tomorrow should also get me the Romulan rep shield so I hope to return with sexy new pics of my black helicopter experiments :).

That VATA console does call to me because it's so spot on, but I gotta say I've found the Avenger's hull one of the ugliest damned things in the game from any race. Ick. Swapping in the arbiter hull does help a LOT. I just wish there were a few more parts in the set. You spend a while looking at a $10,000 museum replica from every angle and you kind of get a feel for the little details that can make or break the effort. Maybe after the movie trilogy is over we'll see some more direct cross-overs into STO.

Just for giggles I also put together an attempt with the Excalibur/Exeter parts. It was pretty promising. I'll screen cap it tomorrow. Who knows? I could end up becoming another of the "free the Excalibur for T6!" rabble-rousers...

"T6 EXCALIBUR TRUE BATTLECRUISER SO I CAN MAKE THE VENGEANCE!"

...Oh, yeah, there's a thread designed to TRIBBLE off almost everybody :tongue:.
  • Options
    captainpetey001captainpetey001 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Here's my attempt at a Vengeance look-alike, using both the Avenger and Arbiter. I hope this helps.
    51e87de5-9126-4fed-86a4-393bd214f26f_zpsx5mqpoga.jpg
    Aenger2_zpsagznnbcj.jpg
    Avenger3_zpseckl00mb.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Closest I ever got to recreating the Vengeance, was using various parts from the Command Battlecruisers and the upgrade skin to give it the dark look.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Here's my attempt at a Vengeance look-alike, using both the Avenger and Arbiter. I hope this helps.
    Avenger3_zpseckl00mb.jpg

Thanks :). That does seem to be about the best configuration using the Arbiter/Avenger rig. The shape of the lower hull its good, but the saucer section is a little on the thick side and unfortunately the Vengeance has really distinctive engines. If they'd offer another ship or two with this rig to mix and match parts with things could get pretty close :).
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Closest I ever got to recreating the Vengeance, was using various parts from the Command Battlecruisers and the upgrade skin to give it the dark look.

Any good screen caps? I suspect the Command Battlecruiser rig can be used to make something nice looking :).

I was holding off on doing more experiments until I got the Romulan Shields but that turned out to be a lot greener than I expected. Apparently the effect it has on the Tarantula that made me think it might be useful is different/more elaborate than it applies to most hulls.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Just musing with how to come closest to this beast in STO:

Vengeance%20face%20off%20SIG_zpshfeugo7s.jpg

Pretty much the moment I saw it in the movie trailer I was poking my friends, "Hey look, Section 31 built themselves a black helicopter..." and was pleased to see that's exactly how it played out in the movie. I like ship designs that clearly communicate their narrative purpose. I also like that there's no mistaking its Starfleet lineage.

If any of the Intel ships had the classic "swan" layout I could use the Scryer's hollow ring saucer section but that seems to be a no go. Being able to use the Intel Ship Material might have worked out well since that's nicely dark (I expect I'll use the Romulan Rep shields in the cosmetic slot to paint it black if there's no good match among the native Hull Materials). I may still tinker with an Intel kitbash, but I'm mostly resigned to trying to get the side silhouette as close as I can, so I'll be looking at various Federation rigs.

Beyond the perforated saucer it's got a distinctly angular and wide-bellied engineering hull, armored shutters for the deflector, slightly jagged angular pylons with a very small cutout near the base, and blocky, armored nacels with a cross-section that's taller than they are wide. Productions sketches for the vengeance say the forward scoops open up going into warp and what we mostly see in the shots/models are the armored baffles slid forward and together in the better sheltered sub-light position.

Vengeance%20Engineering%20Hull%20SIG_zpspb3sgh7i.jpg

Interestingly the primary weapons are clearly cannons rather than beams. The Vengeance also has a pair of mobile drone platforms (visible in their launch housings on either side of the deflector) that fires torpedoes - a big screen example of the torpedo platform consumable :). I may outfit it with a Vaadwaur cluster torpedo to represent the system.

Vengeance%20drone%20SIG_zps5xa0zzpz.jpg

The description of the weapons that drop down from the hull indicates they're turreted, high volume torpedo launchers. That makes me think maybe the wide angle quantum torpedo launcher or possibly the Omega rep torpedo. The torpedo point defense console is probably the best fit in terms of game mechanics, but doesn't equip on any ship even remotely the right shape.

Should be a fun project to see what I can cobble together :).

if you are looking to create the exact replica, you will want to hold off because in effect you would be copying a ship design you have no right to.

with that stated, this thread is pointless.

one thing is for sure, i am so glad there is no jjcrapverse on trek online!!!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.