test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bringing back Stargate Universe and may be Stargate Atlantis (Beware of spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I always wondered what would happen if a person tried to pass through a gate that when they were all simultaneously connected like that...

As for a revival of the franchise... according to the Stargate Wikipedia article MGM has plans to do a sequel to the original movie, but it would sadly ignore all the SG1-Atlantis-Universe stuff.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,047 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    As for a revival of the franchise... according to the Stargate Wikipedia article MGM has plans to do a sequel to the original movie, but it would sadly ignore all the SG1-Atlantis-Universe stuff.

Its less of a sequel and more of a reboot. Luckilly we can headcanon it as an alternate universe which keeps SG-1 intact. Technically SG-1 was an alternate universe already as in the movie O'Neill's son was named Tyler while in SG-1 it was Charlie.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    That doesn't explain how the Earth point of origin seems to have magically wound up on at least three other gates, two of which were destroyed shortly after dialing Destiny.

earth was the ancient base of operations for who knows how long after they left their home galaxy; maybe they made additional backup gates for earth besides the one that ended up in antarctica​​

A common misconception. The Antarctica gate was the 'real' Earth gate, but the gate typically known as the 'Earth gate' was picked up from somewhere else by the Goa'uld. (Then again, it's been a while since I watched those episodes, so it may be that Eli used the Antarctica symbol rather than the Goa'uld one. I don't think he did, though.)

Plus it doesn't explain why those backup gates then proceeded to be seeded across the galaxy like there was nothing wrong with them. You're supposed to keep backups safely tucked away in storage until they're needed, not make them necessary!
    That doesn't explain how the Earth point of origin seems to have magically wound up on at least three other gates, two of which were destroyed shortly after dialing Destiny.
    Who says the glyph was actually on the gate? You can dial using glyphs that aren't stamped into the metal of the gate.
    Says who, headcanon? :p

Seriously, though. Where has it actually been stated that you can do that? As far as I know, it was certainly not the series whose very premise had become dependent on such an explanation.
    Says the fact that you can use ANY dialing device with any gate and have it work properly. Also, the remote dialing computers..... which is what was used in the episode, they don't even have a physical connection to the Gate.

Actually, it has been said in at least one episode that they had to reconfigure the DHDs on something - could have been Atlantis or a puddle jumper - when going from one galaxy to another. I may be misremembering the exact dialogue, but right now my memory says what it says. :tongue:

As for remote dialing, that's hardly anything new. Remember, they have the complete and unabridged encyclopedia on all things Asgard, as well as an increased understanding of how DHDs work - both the Asgard dialer (as seen in 'The Fifth Race', I think?) and the DHD work without a physical connection to a Stargate.
    Who says the glyph was actually on the gate? You can dial using glyphs that aren't stamped into the metal of the gate.
    Says who, headcanon? :p

Seriously, though. Where has it actually been stated that you can do that? As far as I know, it was certainly not the series whose very premise had become dependent on such an explanation.
    Says the fact that you can use ANY dialing device with any gate and have it work properly. Also, the remote dialing computers..... which is what was used in the episode, they don't even have a physical connection to the Gate.

also, the fact that you can apparently hack a single DHD to dial every stargate in the galaxy...all of which have symbols that are certainly not on the DHD in question​​

Another understandable mistake. The only symbol that is not on all of the DHDs/gates is the point of origin symbol, as each gate has its own point of origin. The seventh (or eighth for intergalactic trips) symbol does not depend on your destination but on where you're coming from. (Really, the more impressive feat is that the gate was capable of establishing multiple simultaneous connections.)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    according to what i read up about this stargate reboot, the two people who created the original are going to be the ones to do the reboot however they have other projects they are working on at this time. it would take a long time before this reboot stargate series becomes a reality. the next farscape film is likely to come out before this reboot trilogy of films is likey to hit the box office.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its less of a sequel and more of a reboot. Luckilly we can headcanon it as an alternate universe which keeps SG-1 intact. Technically SG-1 was an alternate universe already as in the movie O'Neill's son was named Tyler while in SG-1 it was Charlie.
    And it was established that Stargate DOES use the many universe concept as in at least one episode they hopepd around between universes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    actually, the multiverse showed up multiple times, three at least that i know of - first when daniel found that mirror thingie on P3R-233, then again when an alternate carter and kawalsky used that same mirror to escape their own reality to come to the prime one, and a third time when a burst of energy inside a wormhole traveling through a back hole (though i have absolutely no idea how the hell that would even be possible, because black holes tear apart everything even past the subatomic level) caused an active gate to open bridges to several different realities

and that was just SG-1​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Yes, and then there was Atlantis with The Daedalus Variations.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User

but the actors are one part of it, the question remain, what have MGM done with the sets, stages and props?

Scrapped and/or recycled by now. These things take up space, which is not cheap.

lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    seseron wrote: »
    It's unlikely the original actors will reprise their old roles. Every show has a shelf-life for that reason. What they have to do is make a "Next Generation" style of show. I'm all for that, for either SG1 or Atlantis. Probably wouldn't work for SGU, however. That show's story was a one-and-done.

I've pretty much have had my fill with Stargate shows in any form. That horse has been beaten to death, animated as undead, beaten to death again, and reincarnated. There's nothing new in that well to draw from. I feel almost the same way about Star Trek, save for the online games.

The only thing I'd like to see would be a novel series that would wrap up all the hanging storylines and finally put it to bed. But I won't holding my breath for it.

The main difference between how I feel about the SG 'verse vs Babylon 5, is for me the latter was generally a lot more interesting and it's story IS done.

lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    raj011 wrote: »
    Atlantis I can support.

Universe, however, can go burn in a fire. Both because of what it was and what it denied us. :rage:

Why do you not like SGU? If you do not mind me asking?

Speaking for myself, I really wanted to like SGU. Besides a general desire to see science fiction shows do well and find a bigger audience, John Scalzi, who served as creative consultant on the series, officiated at my wedding. I want all his projects to be successful. He's a good guy.

Unfortunately, the SciFi channel (I refuse to use their rebranding spelling) wanted a two-for-one deal. They wants to capture the Stargate audience with the name and the shared universe, and they wanted to capture the BSG audience with its absurdly grimdark flavor. The result of this terrible combination, despite a valiant effort by the cast, was pretty much unwatchable.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,047 Community Moderator
    Actually, it has been said in at least one episode that they had to reconfigure the DHDs on something - could have been Atlantis or a puddle jumper - when going from one galaxy to another. I may be misremembering the exact dialogue, but right now my memory says what it says. :tongue:

Actually... I believe that they had to do something to allow a Milky Way gate to function in the vacinity of a Pegasus gate because the Pegasus gates were newer and overriding gate control from the Milky Way models. They encountered this problem when establishing the Intergalactic Gate Bridge between the Milky Way and Pegasus. Half the gates were Milky Way models and the other half were Pegasus models, with one of each on the central space station.
    lazarx wrote: »
    The main difference between how I feel about the SG 'verse vs Babylon 5, is for me the latter was generally a lot more interesting and it's story IS done.

And yet fans want more B5. Crusade was a failure because someone made the decision to air it SERIOUSLY out of order, Legend of the Rangers failed, probably because of the gimicky combat system the Liandra had and she probably came across as too much like the Defiant or something, although I liked the grenade filled escape pod. That was clever.

The B5 'verse is still open for stories and fans want more stories. The actual station's story itself may be done, but its a big universe that was opened up all those years ago.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, B5 had a long-term story that had been plotted and I'd love to see a novelization of that. We didn't even get to see half of it on screen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Yeah, B5 had a long-term story that had been plotted and I'd love to see a novelization of that. Were didn't even get to see half of it on screen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Actually... I believe that they had to do something to allow a Milky Way gate to function in the vacinity of a Pegasus gate because the Pegasus gates were newer and overriding gate control from the Milky Way models. They encountered this problem when establishing the Intergalactic Gate Bridge between the Milky Way and Pegasus. Half the gates were Milky Way models and the other half were Pegasus models, with one of each on the central space station.

No, I don't think that was it. (But true nonetheless.)

And yet fans want more B5. Crusade was a failure because someone made the decision to air it SERIOUSLY out of order, Legend of the Rangers failed, probably because of the gimicky combat system the Liandra had and she probably came across as too much like the Defiant or something, although I liked the grenade filled escape pod. That was clever.

The B5 'verse is still open for stories and fans want more stories. The actual station's story itself may be done, but its a big universe that was opened up all those years ago.

Yep, same thing goes for SG.

• Options
    I think the core problem Stargate started to run into was that it had outgrown its core premise of Earth being the scrappy underdog fighting for survival. By the time SG1 and Atlantis ended Earth had the Asgard's full library of knowledge at its disposal and was reverse engineering Ancient technology from Atlantis. Instead of being a poorly defended planet Earth became a powerhouse with a growing fleet of ships, a ground based Ancient defense outpost, and the Atlantis city-ship parked in the Pacific Ocean, and a vague reference to a new moon base in the Continuum movie. They had reached the point where it was getting into more generic Star Wars style territory, which sadly tends to exceed a reasonable TV budget.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

but the actors are one part of it, the question remain, what have MGM done with the sets, stages and props?

Scrapped and/or recycled by now. These things take up space, which is not cheap.

which means creating all this stuff from scrach again, thats even more time, manpower and money to get all that back.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I think the core problem Stargate started to run into was that it had outgrown its core premise of Earth being the scrappy underdog fighting for survival. By the time SG1 and Atlantis ended Earth had the Asgard's full library of knowledge at its disposal and was reverse engineering Ancient technology from Atlantis. Instead of being a poorly defended planet Earth became a powerhouse with a growing fleet of ships, a ground based Ancient defense outpost, and the Atlantis city-ship parked in the Pacific Ocean, and a vague reference to a new moon base in the Continuum movie. They had reached the point where it was getting into more generic Star Wars style territory, which sadly tends to exceed a reasonable TV budget.

It had to happen. One of the SGC missions was to get technology to defend Earth. But still that does not mean Earth and the allies are invincible. There can always be potential enemies and other dangers. The universe is huge remember. Still with the advanced technology they had there was mostly an enemy more powerful. Look at the Wraith and the Atlanteans (Pegasus Ancients) for example, it was mentioned the even though the Atlanteans are more technological advanced, the Wraith were more powerful because of numbers and using other smart methods. They were still the underdog in some things, which is fine but being the underdog all the time will get over used and people will start to think how are they doing this or that, why have they not improved after all these missions.

• Options
    Actually I think the Ancient Outpost was neutralized in the finale of Atlantis, since The Chair was moved to Area 51... and got kamikazed by Darts. Frankly I believe that Atlantis would have returned to the Pegasus Galaxy at some point as it was only a matter of time before someone ran into Atlantis, cloak or no cloak. And I don't remember anything about a moon base.
  • Options
    They still have the Wraith to deal with. (And arguably the Lucian Alliance.)
    Actually I think the Ancient Outpost was neutralized in the finale of Atlantis, since The Chair was moved to Area 51... and got kamikazed by Darts. Frankly I believe that Atlantis would have returned to the Pegasus Galaxy at some point as it was only a matter of time before someone ran into Atlantis, cloak or no cloak. And I don't remember anything about a moon base.

Ancient outpost is defunct until they MacGyver a new control chair. Atlantis was slated to return to Pegasus in the movie (and did in fact do so in the Legacy books), and I remember hearing about the moon base.

• Options
    Yeah I saw in descriptions of the book series that Atlantis was sent back to Pegasus... which I personally don't think makes any sense. Atlantis represented a massive opportunity for reverse engineering Ancient technology, having it on Earth makes it so much easier to exploit and defend, plus the city has its own control chair so they could just pack up the outpost's drones and send them to Atlantis.

Packing the city back up and sending it off into dangerous territory is something the politicians would never realistically green light. If anything they would be more likely to shut down the SGC and move all its operations to Atlantis as a neutral international base of operations.
  • Options
    Yeah I saw in descriptions of the book series that Atlantis was sent back to Pegasus... which I personally don't think makes any sense. Atlantis represented a massive opportunity for reverse engineering Ancient technology, having it on Earth makes it so much easier to exploit and defend, plus the city has its own control chair so they could just pack up the outpost's drones and send them to Atlantis.

Packing the city back up and sending it off into dangerous territory is something the politicians would never realistically green light. If anything they would be more likely to shut down the SGC and move all its operations to Atlantis as a neutral international base of operations.

Atlantis was also a very good outpost back in Pegasus. Earth is A: in a much safer location (with the Ori threat gone, the only thing that would even WANT to attack is the Lucian Alliance) and B: self-sustaining.

Building a new Pegasus base would be an unnecessary waste of resources, and that base wouldn't be half as effective at withstanding Wraith attacks (or those by the unidentified aliens from The Daedalus Variations) as Atlantis is. They can already study the city in Pegasus.
    valoreah wrote: »
    SG-U had a good premise and solid casting IMO. I think the creators tried to stray too far from what made SG-1 and Atlantis successful. It was much too dark in my opinion.

*nods*

• Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I liked SGU but it was way too close to similar to the new Battlestar Galactica. I really liked Atlantis (except when they killed Beckett) and hated the final episode. Humans were responsible for awakening the Wraiths in the Pegasus Galaxy and the final episode felt rushed. We're home now, let the people in the Pegasus Galaxy be food for the Wraiths. Not our problem anymore.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options

Because of the Pegasus gate in Atlantis overriding priority from the Milky Way gate in the SGC, Atlantis would have become the primaray gate on Earth. Not only that, but leaving Atlantis in San Fransisco Bay was just asking for a random boat to run into the city, thus exposing the still secret Stargate Program to the world. Not to mention all the various satellites that could spot the city should the cloak fail. If Atlantis was revealed, do you know the political firestorm that would result by other nations discovering certain nations had been holding out on them? North Korea, Iran, and many others not involved with the Stargate Program would be DEMANDING their share of the tech, and they'd want it NOW.

Not to mention the fact that the Atlantis Expedition still has a responsibility in Pegasus, as well as giving the SGC an outpost in Pegasus.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    north korea, iran and many others can stomp their feet all they want - they wouldn't get a damn thing because they're run by terrorists, psychopaths or other mentally-deranged nutjobs​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    raj011 wrote: »
    It had to happen. One of the SGC missions was to get technology to defend Earth. But still that does not mean Earth and the allies are invincible. There can always be potential enemies and other dangers. The universe is huge remember. Still with the advanced technology they had there was mostly an enemy more powerful. Look at the Wraith and the Atlanteans (Pegasus Ancients) for example, it was mentioned the even though the Atlanteans are more technological advanced, the Wraith were more powerful because of numbers and using other smart methods. They were still the underdog in some things, which is fine but being the underdog all the time will get over used and people will start to think how are they doing this or that, why have they not improved after all these missions.
    MOAR RepliCarter! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    More Dr. Keller!
    Jenniferkeller_2.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    More Dr. Keller!
    Jenniferkeller_2.jpg
    I'll be in my bunk.

Mustrum "Crossing the Franchises is okay if the the actors did it first" Ridcully

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Everyone, sign that petition, e-mail MGM or send a letter to MGM and hopefully they can start SGU again. The more they know people want to watch SGU the better. Either do another series or finish of the story with movies.

There is also a petition to bring back all 3 Stargate series. https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-stargate-atlantis-sg1-and-sgu.