test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bringing back Stargate Universe and may be Stargate Atlantis (Beware of spoilers)

raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Ten Forward
Hello everyone

I have been watching the repeats of SGU and I was thinking that the television series could still come back. The series ended in 2011. At the end SGU the Destiny expedition are put in to stasis and they are told it will take 3 years. Since it has been over 4 years they can add that in to the series. It took longer to reach the other galaxy because of some reason. Here is the petition to save SGU, https://www.change.org/p/ted-sarandos-save-stargate-universe and the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU/timeline?ref=page_internal. They can also make some changes to SGU.

As for Stargate Atlantis it might be possible to bring back the television series. They can do a direct to television movie like Stargate Ark of Truth or have a new younger crew join the older crew. Here is the petition to save Stargate Atlantis, https://www.change.org/p/mgm-netflix-spyglass-bring-back-stargate-atlantis and others https://www.change.org/search?q=Stargate Atlantis. They can also make some changes to SGA.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    The shows will only be resurrected if the folks who own the rights can be convinced that it will make them money to do so. What we need is not exty thousand signatures or Kickstarter donations, but rather a convincing argument that the renewed series will get more viewers than the old series got at the time of cancellation.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I am sure there is a way or ways to do this. When viewers give them helpful points this should take it in to consideration. By doing the petition or a kickstarter it will show MGM that viewers are still interested. They can still do the direct to television movie, series or a movie, series on Netflix, Amazon prime and any other internet streaming media or make a blu-ray and DVD movie or series. SGU can still continue. We know at the moment that there will be a remake on the original Stargate movie plus two more afterwards.
    Post edited by raj011 on
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Atlantis I can support.

Universe, however, can go burn in a fire. Both because of what it was and what it denied us. :rage:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    i8udzi8udz Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I liked Universe, I was sad to see it got cancelled. It wasn't a carbon-copy of the original, like Atlantis.
    It was like an updated version of Voyager and Voyager is in my top 5.

I think if they'd had a bit more gate travel than it would've gotten a bigger audience.

I'm hopin' it'll get picked up again but I won't hold my breath. Especially if Firefly is anything to go by.
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Atlantis I can support.

Universe, however, can go burn in a fire. Both because of what it was and what it denied us. :rage:

Why do you not like SGU? If you do not mind me asking? I like both series and want both of them back and SG-1. I do agree with SGU they can make changes to it and have a proper ending to the story. Watch could be they finally get back to the Milk Way galaxy. I was thinking after SGU they could do a new series and have the previous people from SG-1, SGA and SGU make guest appearances or similar to SGU have younger people and older people exploring together.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    The shows will only be resurrected if the folks who own the rights can be convinced that it will make them money to do so. What we need is not exty thousand signatures or Kickstarter donations, but rather a convincing argument that the renewed series will get more viewers than the old series got at the time of cancellation.

besides that, getting the original actors back may also be a problem, 4 years is a long time.
    Robert Carlyle is currently involved with "Once upon a time" and he is involved in another project.
    Louis Ferreira is currently involved in "Motive" and has finished work on another project.
    Brian Smith is involved in a film project called "22 chaser" and is almost complete with another project, "the passing season".
    Alaina Huffman has nothing going on right at the moment but she does have a large family to look after, she may not have the time for a full season or more as far as work is concerned.
    Jamil Smith and David Blue has almost finished with "Chuck Hank and the San Diego twins" and "Injection", otherwise nothing else going on for these two.
    Ming-Na Wen is currently involved with "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", nothing else going on there.
    Elyse Levesque is finishing up with two projects "Mesmerized" and "Shoot the messenger", not completely sure about the latter.

This is what you got to work with; Alaina Huffman, Jamil Smith and David Blue and possibly Elyse Levesque. i doubt the others could provide time to do SGU.

but the actors are one part of it, the question remain, what have MGM done with the sets, stages and props?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    seseronseseron Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    It's unlikely the original actors will reprise their old roles. Every show has a shelf-life for that reason. What they have to do is make a "Next Generation" style of show. I'm all for that, for either SG1 or Atlantis. Probably wouldn't work for SGU, however. That show's story was a one-and-done.
    rottorung02.png
  • Options
    i8udz wrote: »
    I liked Universe, I was sad to see it got cancelled. It wasn't a carbon-copy of the original, like Atlantis.

I think if they'd had a bit more gate travel than it would've gotten a bigger audience.

I'm hopin' it'll get picked up again but I won't hold my breath. Especially if Firefly is anything to go by.

Atlantis wasn't a carbon copy. The only things that came close to 'carbon copy' were:

1. A central base of operations with an iris of some kind and IDCs. Teams go out and explore the galaxy from here. There's a 'flagship' team.

2. Being the underdog against superior hostile forces, trying to protect Earth against them. (Aside from the Earth bit, Universe could be considered a 'carbon copy' in that regard too.)

3. We have the same starships in both series. Unsurprising, it's the same universe.

4. Politicians try to meddle in affairs they don't understand, with potentially catastrophic consequences. Also unsurprising, politicians are politicians wherever you go.
    raj011 wrote: »
    Atlantis I can support.

Why do you not like SGU? If you do not mind me asking? I like both series and want both of them back and SG-1. I do agree with SGU they can make changes to it and have a proper ending to the story. Watch could be they finally get back to the Milk Way galaxy. I was thinking after SGU they could do a new series and have the previous people from SG-1, SGA and SGU make guest appearances or similar to SGU have younger people and older people exploring together.

SGU could be summarized as 'new BSG, only with Stargates!'. I didn't like it when it didn't have Stargates, why the hell should I like it when it does? :confused:

The other issue is that MGM squandered precious resources to feed SG:BSG, resources that could have been used to bring us more Atlantis and maybe another SG-1 movie or two.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The only thing about late Atlantis that I wanted to see more of was Repli-Weir and her faction of less-evil Replicators.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    We need Wormhole-X-treme
    But seriously isnt MGM bankcrupt or something?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    yeah the cartoon series didn't do very well at all. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    That one was ages ago.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Only way to get a conclusion to SGU is to get them to write follow up novels, the show itself will never come back.

If fans can't save firefly, they definately can't save the far less popular SGU either.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,072 Community Moderator
    If somehow they could get another team aboard Destiny... then maybe. Could be that to explain why the original people aren't aboard when the new team arrives is because something happened to them in transit between galaxies. Maybe they could find notes from the previous crew or something.

The problem with SGU was that it was TOO serious. SG-1 and Atlantis had humor to break up the tension. That's one thing that made those shows so successful. SGU... was too much like BSG. It had potential, but was mired by nonstop drama with NOTHING to break it up.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I agree the SGU could have been lighter than it is.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If somehow they could get another team aboard Destiny... then maybe. Could be that to explain why the original people aren't aboard when the new team arrives is because something happened to them in transit between galaxies. Maybe they could find notes from the previous crew or something.

The problem with SGU was that it was TOO serious. SG-1 and Atlantis had humor to break up the tension. That's one thing that made those shows so successful. SGU... was too much like BSG. It had potential, but was mired by nonstop drama with NOTHING to break it up.

I agree the SGU could have been lighter tone than it is.
  • Options

Atlantis wasn't a carbon copy. The only things that came close to 'carbon copy' were:

1. A central base of operations with an iris of some kind and IDCs. Teams go out and explore the galaxy from here. There's a 'flagship' team.

2. Being the underdog against superior hostile forces, trying to protect Earth against them. (Aside from the Earth bit, Universe could be considered a 'carbon copy' in that regard too.)

3. We have the same starships in both series. Unsurprising, it's the same universe.

4. Politicians try to meddle in affairs they don't understand, with potentially catastrophic consequences. Also unsurprising, politicians are politicians wherever you go.
    Atlantis I can support.

SGU could be summarized as 'new BSG, only with Stargates!'. I didn't like it when it didn't have Stargates, why the hell should I like it when it does? :confused:

The other issue is that MGM squandered precious resources to feed SG:BSG, resources that could have been used to bring us more Atlantis and maybe another SG-1 movie or two.

Well SGU was similar to the newer BSG. I think that might have been the point, to have a darker tone in the Stargate universe. It did have stargates they explored through the stargates. SGU stargates are an earlier generation with a limited range. It goes Destiny style gates, Milky Way gates than Atlantis/Pegasus style gates. They can still do SGU but changes need to be made.
  • Options

Yeah, too much "OMG we're gonna die!"

It got canceled just when it was getting good. :/ They'd just gotten to a point where it was less of a daily disaster thing.

Some of the disaster of the week things were stupid too. A flying micro-organism that can absorb an endless amount of water? what made it ludicrous was the fact that the bugs never seemed to gain mass, and incinerating apparently didn't work....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Atlantis I can support.

Well SGU was similar to the newer BSG. I think that might have been the point, to have a darker tone in the Stargate universe. It did have stargates they explored through the stargates. SGU stargates are an earlier generation with a limited range. It goes Destiny style gates, Milky Way gates than Atlantis/Pegasus style gates. They can still do SGU but changes need to be made.

I think you misunderstood that comment. I meant I didn't like nBSG when it didn't have Stargates, and I don't see why putting Stargates into it the way SGU did would make me like it better. (As it turns out, it doesn't.)

You've just reminded me of one other thing I didn't like about that series, though. It took an integral piece of canon that's been there for over twelve years, and threw it out the window in the very first episode. Point of origin symbols are unique on each gate, period. You cannot use the Earth point of origin (the fact that it's not really the Earth symbol to begin with is another matter altogether) without bringing the Earth gate to Icarus.

It got canceled just when it was getting good. :/ They'd just gotten to a point where it was less of a daily disaster thing.

Some of the disaster of the week things were stupid too. A flying micro-organism that can absorb an endless amount of water? what made it ludicrous was the fact that the bugs never seemed to gain mass, and incinerating apparently didn't work....

Eh, I suppose it was starting to come together, but... the damage was done. I stopped caring about what happened to more than half of those people on day one, and later episodes hardly did anything to change my attitude. They brought out O'Neill, something that practically singlehandedly made the episode back in Atlantis, and even that didn't do anything. (McKay, on the other hand...)

I don't know how good the actors themselves are, but as far as I'm concerned, the cast definitely has to go, simply because the characters they're playing can't be 'fixed' by any sane in-universe method.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I'd love to see a continuation of Star Gate Universe. I want to see what the big secret the Destiny was looking for.
    You've just reminded me of one other thing I didn't like about that series, though. It took an integral piece of canon that's been there for over twelve years, and threw it out the window in the very first episode. Point of origin symbols are unique on each gate, period. You cannot use the Earth point of origin (the fact that it's not really the Earth symbol to begin with is another matter altogether) without bringing the Earth gate to Icarus.
    It was a "special" gate. It didn't have to follow the usual rules for Stargates.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I'd love to see a continuation of Star Gate Universe. I want to see what the big secret the Destiny was looking for.
    well, they did a good job of teasing that with the episode where they find an entire star system that "shouldn't" be there.
    It was a "special" gate. It didn't have to follow the usual rules for Stargates.
    also they were inputting the symbols into a dialing computer not pushing buttons on a dialing device.

Eh, I suppose it was starting to come together, but... the damage was done. I stopped caring about what happened to more than half of those people on day one, and later episodes hardly did anything to change my attitude. They brought out O'Neill, something that practically singlehandedly made the episode back in Atlantis, and even that didn't do anything. (McKay, on the other hand...)

I don't know how good the actors themselves are, but as far as I'm concerned, the cast definitely has to go, simply because the characters they're playing can't be 'fixed' by any sane in-universe method.
    It'd also be convenient. You don't even need to show exactly what happened to the old cast. Also the whole "we need to find a planet with a Naquadriah core, then blow it up" thing could be avoided by finding a better power source... they just hadn't found one like that yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

It was a special gate? Looked like every other Milky Way gate to me. It's also nice and convenient that the Lucian Alliance knew exactly how to build this 'special gate', when neither the Tau'ri nor the Alliance knew how to build gates in the first place.

The argument falls apart anyway when you notice that they didn't mention replacing or modifying the Langaran gate when they were trying to dial Destiny again.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

It was a special gate? Looked like every other Milky Way gate to me. It's also nice and convenient that the Lucian Alliance knew exactly how to build this 'special gate', when neither the Tau'ri nor the Alliance knew how to build gates in the first place.

The argument falls apart anyway when you notice that they didn't mention replacing or modifying the Langaran gate when they were trying to dial Destiny again.

The target gate aboard the Destiny was a special gate, not the origin gate. It requires a special dial up sequence that no other gate required. Probably because it couldn't be connected to the regular gateway network and was constantly moving, it required some special handling to reach.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    That doesn't explain how the Earth point of origin seems to have magically wound up on at least three other gates, two of which were destroyed shortly after dialing Destiny.

• Options
    That doesn't explain how the Earth point of origin seems to have magically wound up on at least three other gates, two of which were destroyed shortly after dialing Destiny.
    Who says the glyph was actually on the gate? You can dial using glyphs that aren't stamped into the metal of the gate.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,072 Community Moderator
    I figure that dialing Destiny was a special case. The ship's gate address acted like a passcode. Without the proper code, you can't access Destiny. Although now I'm wondering if Pegasus gates were capable of dialing the code, as they used different symbols, but I believe they, like the Milky Way gates, have 9 chevrons.

As to the exploding planets... You guys are forgetting that both times, the planet in question was actually being attacked. Icarus was being hammered by the Alliance while the other planet was getting hit by the SGC. It could be that the power requirements to dial Destiny puts strain on a geothermal naquadria source, and the wild, uncontrolled energy with an attack caused an overload.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Who says the glyph was actually on the gate? You can dial using glyphs that aren't stamped into the metal of the gate.

Says who, headcanon? :p

Seriously, though. Where has it actually been stated that you can do that? As far as I know, it was certainly not the series whose very premise had become dependent on such an explanation.
    I figure that dialing Destiny was a special case. The ship's gate address acted like a passcode. Without the proper code, you can't access Destiny. Although now I'm wondering if Pegasus gates were capable of dialing the code, as they used different symbols, but I believe they, like the Milky Way gates, have 9 chevrons.

As to the exploding planets... You guys are forgetting that both times, the planet in question was actually being attacked. Icarus was being hammered by the Alliance while the other planet was getting hit by the SGC. It could be that the power requirements to dial Destiny puts strain on a geothermal naquadria source, and the wild, uncontrolled energy with an attack caused an overload.

The address acted as a passcode, yes. Except the implication was that the address, not 'the combination of glyphs we tricked the gate into transmitting when it should be physically incapable of actually dialing it', was the passcode. Just as it was strongly suggested, if not outright shown, that all nine glyphs were physically present on the gate.

Yeah, the explosion was most likely due to weapons fire in at least one of the two instances - though I believe the possibility of it 'just happening' without weapons fire was one reason why the Langarans were so strongly opposed to letting the SGC dial Destiny using their planet.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User

earth was the ancient base of operations for who knows how long after they left their home galaxy; maybe they made additional backup gates for earth besides the one that ended up in antarctica​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Seriously, though. Where has it actually been stated that you can do that? As far as I know, it was certainly not the series whose very premise had become dependent on such an explanation.
    Says the fact that you can use ANY dialing device with any gate and have it work properly. Also, the remote dialing computers..... which is what was used in the episode, they don't even have a physical connection to the Gate.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User

Says the fact that you can use ANY dialing device with any gate and have it work properly. Also, the remote dialing computers..... which is what was used in the episode, they don't even have a physical connection to the Gate.

also, the fact that you can apparently hack a single DHD to dial every stargate in the galaxy...all of which have symbols that are certainly not on the DHD in question​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.