test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bringing back Stargate Universe and may be Stargate Atlantis (Beware of spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,159 Community Moderator
    SG-1 had an amazing run. Atlantis I can see still having some room for more stories. SGU... would probably need a revamp.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    More Dr. Keller!
    Jenniferkeller_2.jpg
    I'll be in my bunk.

Mustrum "Crossing the Franchises is okay if the the actors did it first" Ridcully
    What did you think the B5 and Firefly actors were going to do? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    raj011 wrote: »
    Everyone, sign that petition, e-mail MGM or send a letter to MGM and hopefully they can start SGU again. The more they know people want to watch SGU the better. Either do another series or finish of the story with movies.

There is also a petition to bring back all 3 Stargate series. https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-stargate-atlantis-sg1-and-sgu.

did you not read the details of the various people in this thread?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    Everyone, sign that petition, e-mail MGM or send a letter to MGM and hopefully they can start SGU again. The more they know people want to watch SGU the better. Either do another series or finish of the story with movies.

There is also a petition to bring back all 3 Stargate series. https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-stargate-atlantis-sg1-and-sgu.

did you not read the details of the various people in this thread?

Yes, I have read other people's comments. That does not mean they are right or that it is 100% certain. There are ways SGU can come back. For example the actors have moved on to other projects, still mentioning it to them might get them interested to come back to SGU in the future. Showing the creators that the audience want SGU return. Could make them reconsider and also the audience, actors and actress can give some advice on what changes can be made. It is just like with Star Trek. As long as we are around a lot of people want Star Trek. Sure it will take a break now and then but it will come back.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    ... For example the actors have moved on to other projects, still mentioning it to them might get them interested to come back to SGU in the future....

Most all probably couldn't even if they wanted to due to contractual obligations with other projects.

Yes I understand that. But at the moment we do not really know. All we doing is speculating. If it turns out that some, if all, actors are contracted on other projects maybe they are flexible. It is known for actors and actress to do more than one project.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,159 Community Moderator
    There is also the part where the network might not be willing to go for it either, and the fact the sets are probably recycled by now. I believe parts of the Destiny set were reused in Dark Matter, but other than that...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Well the only to know if they will is to show the network that people are interested in watching SGU, then we will know if they will continue or not. Might be better for another network to show SGU. According to this, http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/six-reasons-sgu-was-cancelled/, it shows why SGU was cancelled. If the sets are not that expensive then they can re-build them plus CGI was also used in SGU.

Also with the Dark Matter television series, it has very similar other parts from SGU in the series and seems to be popular as there is a season 2 coming soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Well the only to know if they will is to show the network that people are interested in watching SGU, then we will know if they will continue or not. Might be better for another network to show SGU. According to this, http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/six-reasons-sgu-was-cancelled/, it shows why SGU was cancelled. If the sets are not that expensive then they can re-build them plus CGI was also used in SGU.

Also with the Dark Matter television series, it has very similar other parts from SGU in the series and seems to be popular as there is a season 2 coming soon.

DOUBLE POST. SORRY. CAN NOT DELETE IT.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

one thing showed itself immediately when i viewed the page "OPINION" in full capitals. what is written there is speculation.
  • Options

one thing showed itself immediately when i viewed the page "OPINION" in full capitals. what is written there is speculation.

Forgot to add these, http://scifi.about.com/b/2010/12/20/stargate-universe-canceled.htm, http://www.ew.com/article/2011/05/13/syfy-defends-canceling-stargate-universe, http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/stargate-universe/20698/stargate-universe-cancelled and http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/stargate-universe-cancelled-season-three-18952/.

From all these articles, the decision to cancel points to Syfy even though they say it was poor ratings, they also made the decision to move SGU from a Friday to Tuesday. There could have been other reasons but still there was more that could be done and also there was a planned movie for SGU which also got cancelled but they can still do it but instead they have chosen to start new projects instead.
  • Options

Forgot to add these, http://scifi.about.com/b/2010/12/20/stargate-universe-canceled.htm, http://www.ew.com/article/2011/05/13/syfy-defends-canceling-stargate-universe, http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/stargate-universe/20698/stargate-universe-cancelled and http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/stargate-universe-cancelled-season-three-18952/.

From all these articles, the decision to cancel points to Syfy even though they say it was poor ratings, they also made the decision to move SGU from a Friday to Tuesday. There could have been other reasons but still there was more that could be done and also there was a planned movie for SGU which also got cancelled but they can still do it but instead they have chosen to start new projects instead.

thats better. cant argue against all that. +1.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    The existing Stargate shows are too far gone to resurrect them with the same characters. IMO the best thing to do would be to create a new Stargate show with all new characters.
  • Options
    The existing Stargate shows are too far gone to resurrect them with the same characters. IMO the best thing to do would be to create a new Stargate show with all new characters.

Of course the existing Stargate shows can be resurrected especially SGU and may be SGA. There are ways. In SG-1, the older cast can make guest appearances and have a new younger team take over or mix with the older cast. SGU was cancelled in 2011 that is over 4 years ago. They can still do SGU especially that the Television series Dark Matter uses sets and ideas that have been used in SGU and also writers from Stargate television series is writing Dark Matters. So if there is funding, the actors can do the project and if there is a large audience then it is still very possible.
  • Options
    So if there is funding, the actors can do the project and if there is a large audience then it is still very possible.

i asked this earlier about reading what others wrote and you said you read what everyone said. so i will refresh your memory,
    long story short some actors and actresses could do it but others can not, its not about the money, it is about availability and time.
  • Options
    So if there is funding, the actors can do the project and if there is a large audience then it is still very possible.

i asked this earlier about reading what others wrote and you said you read what everyone said. so i will refresh your memory,
    long story short some actors and actresses could do it but others can not, its not about the money, it is about availability and time.

And I did read everyone's comments. To correct you. I was chatting in general terms. They still need money in order to make a television series obviously.

Now back on topic. I was really surprised that they did not go back to the SGU movie idea and apparently there were plans to do a movie with the cast from all 3 of the series.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    I never really liked SGU. It has some very good sets and excellent actors, but despite having a bigger budget and better acting (in some places) I never quite liked it as the storyline always seemed to be 'dragging' and the dialogue very disjoiinted and stilted.

SG1 and Atlantis where quite campy with some very iffy sets/props but it was always fun to watch. I never felt SGU was 'fun' to watch, despite the stellar production values and excellent acting it always felt like it was trying to copy the brooding atmosphere of BSG (reboot) but it just felt out of place like they where halfway between a full on gritty fight for survival and a campy episode of SG1 - I think it could have done well as one or the other, but not as both.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I think the slow plot development of SGU was probably a function of how little control the team had in the early going. They had no control over the ship and very little warning of what was happening around them. For quite awhile they were just being pulled along from one near disaster to the next, with the ship itself providing most of the solutions as needed. I personally believe those early episodes felt lacking due to the heroes having so little control over their lives. The earth-side soap opera stuff also tended to drag things down a bit.

Once the crew got more control of the ship the quality of the stories went up quite a bit. I was actually starting to really get into the show by the time it was cancelled.
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    I think the slow plot development of SGU was probably a function of how little control the team had in the early going. They had no control over the ship and very little warning of what was happening around them. For quite awhile they were just being pulled along from one near disaster to the next, with the ship itself providing most of the solutions as needed. I personally believe those early episodes felt lacking due to the heroes having so little control over their lives. The earth-side soap opera stuff also tended to drag things down a bit.

Once the crew got more control of the ship the quality of the stories went up quite a bit. I was actually starting to really get into the show by the time it was cancelled.

Yea... things were starting to get better when it was canned.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yes I understand that. But at the moment we do not really know. All we doing is speculating. If it turns out that some, if all, actors are contracted on other projects maybe they are flexible. It is known for actors and actress to do more than one project.
    Ming Na is under contract for the foreseeable future on AoS. Television filming schedules can be very demanding. I doubt she would be able to spare the time to work on 2 television programs, even if she wanted to.
    Maybe if the two series didn't do it the same time, but yeah.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    yeah, any continuation of the Stargate story will be in a completely new timeline.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I think the core problem Stargate started to run into was that it had outgrown its core premise of Earth being the scrappy underdog fighting for survival. By the time SG1 and Atlantis ended Earth had the Asgard's full library of knowledge at its disposal and was reverse engineering Ancient technology from Atlantis. Instead of being a poorly defended planet Earth became a powerhouse with a growing fleet of ships, a ground based Ancient defense outpost, and the Atlantis city-ship parked in the Pacific Ocean, and a vague reference to a new moon base in the Continuum movie. They had reached the point where it was getting into more generic Star Wars style territory, which sadly tends to exceed a reasonable TV budget.

I also found it a bit bizarre that even after humanity was on an even footing with its enemies, the Stargate program was still top secret. SG1 should have ended with the president addressing the nation to announce that intergalactic trade was now possible. The top secret element got tired towards the end.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    I think the core problem Stargate started to run into was that it had outgrown its core premise of Earth being the scrappy underdog fighting for survival. By the time SG1 and Atlantis ended Earth had the Asgard's full library of knowledge at its disposal and was reverse engineering Ancient technology from Atlantis. Instead of being a poorly defended planet Earth became a powerhouse with a growing fleet of ships, a ground based Ancient defense outpost, and the Atlantis city-ship parked in the Pacific Ocean, and a vague reference to a new moon base in the Continuum movie. They had reached the point where it was getting into more generic Star Wars style territory, which sadly tends to exceed a reasonable TV budget.

I also found it a bit bizarre that even after humanity was on an even footing with its enemies, the Stargate program was still top secret. SG1 should have ended with the president addressing the nation to announce that intergalactic trade was now possible. The top secret element got tired towards the end.

Actually... I think it was a good idea to keep the Stargate program a secret, as publically Earth was only capable of getting into orbit, and at the most getting a manned mission out to the Moon. Suddenly coming out and saying "Hey guess what? We've been using an alien artifact for 10+ years to explore the galaxy, develop interestellar capable ships, and fight a couple wars in the galaxy! Also you know that freak meteor shower? Yea... that was one of those alien forces actually attacking us. Also that super flu? Yea... that was another, biological attack from a species that we couldn't directly harm due to them being ascended beings."

The world is still not ready for that kind of reveal.

I believe Men In Black put it pretty good.
    Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Yeah, pretty much what Rattler said. You and I might not panic/be pissed off/something when they hear the announcement, but...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    i certainly wouldn't...i'd be jumping for joy at the thought i could get off this rock​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    i certainly wouldn't...i'd be jumping for joy at the thought i could get off this rock​​

Give me a puddle jumper or an Al'kesh (or Tel'tak, I'm not too picky :p) and I'm a happy man. :)

Also, a Zat or particle magnum for self-defense.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I guess my point was it cant stay secret forever, maybe a time jump before showing the announcement would be in order, but that's how I always thought it should end
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    The thing that set Stargate apart from other sci fi shows was the fact it was set in modern times. Not the future.

There was a short lived, non-canon cartoon that was more in the future where I would assume the Stargate Program was public as they had Cadets training to join the SGC, and it did predict the defeat of the Goa'uld as the main enemy was actually a lizard species known as the Tlak'khan. But... it didn't last long.