test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill System Revamp

Comments

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Can't wait for the forced respec (those BETTER be free) and finding out about everything I've lost.
    :l
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    I see a lot of people complaining about it already...

At least wait till us (bug hunters or tribble testers) have broken it down to shed some more light...

Bug Hunters Assemble​​
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Since the skill tree is being changed, are the missing boff skills which are listed for boffs but cannot be obtained (e.g. Aux to Battery 3) going to be added as craftable unlocks for Captains?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    qjunior wrote: »
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    "New options are being introduced that will allow players to invest in Skills that will increase Shield Hardness, Hull and Shield Regeneration, Armor and Shield Penetration, or provide cooldown reductions for certain Bridge Officer Abilities."

More shield penetration? Ugh

Most people can't get enough penetration though.... I mean...oh, dear.... o:)
    To quote Sov42... :GIGGITY!!

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    This sounds really bad if I am reading this right. So if we want to get control defense we also have to be a control offense powerhouse. If we want to have drain defense, repair and the rest we also have to be a drain expert. I really do not like that.

My biggest concern is it looks like players will have to give up skill that are in our builds now and take skills we do not want due to the way skills are grouped up. I don’t see how you can condense down 315skills into 50 and make it so players lose nothing.

P.S please put something in for torpedo and mine pilots. We often get left out.

EDIT:
    “Other consolidated Skills exist, such as combining both existing “Weapon Specialization” skills into superior choices that improve both Energy and Kinetic weapons, rather than encouraging players to ignore one or the other.”
    Specialization is a really poor choice of word. Specialization means focused on one thing. Weapon Mastery would be a better word.

That’s skill change alone is not going to change anything when gear and tactical consoles make you want to use only 1 or the other. A while back you changed the tactical consoles to encouraging players ignore one or the other. Now you change skills to try to get players to use both? That’s a little inconsistent isn’t it?
  • baldguywithacapebaldguywithacape Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    First, are all toons going to have to regain these "experience points" sort of like we had to start the specialization from scratch, or do we get to access everything post-patch when we log in? Come to think of it, what's the difference between this and the specialization system? The tree even looks the same. I mean it's not BAD, just seems redundant.

Wish the ground skill tree was a bit bigger, doesn't look precise enough. I mean is there a tree for a tac melee build, an eng shield tank build, a bruiser build, a medic build, a health tank build, a pet build? I'm not seeing it.

It does have some disadvantages compared to the current system, not sure it's better, but at least it's a change, we need more of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    This sounds really bad if I am reading this right. So if we want to get control defense we also have to be a control offense powerhouse. If we want to have drain defense, repair and the rest we also have to be a drain expert. I really do not like that.

My biggest concern is it looks like players will have to give up skill that are in our builds now and take skills we do not want due to the way skills are grouped up. I don’t see how you can condense down 315skills into 50 and make it so players lose nothing.

Exactly. There's a lot of stuff I simply do not want or need in my build now, and I don't like being forced to take something just to get the thing I might need/want.

If I wanted to play Diablo, I'd go play Diablo.

I really think this is going to put yet another nail in STO's coffin. Bad decision after bad decision.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Not simplified, simplistic... none of us has the information needed to make a direct comparison. Like I said, we need to see what it does in practice before saying that a ratio of points spendable has any relevance (given that we don't know that the points in the new thing will do just yet). You could be entirely correct, @daveny could be entirely correct... but we just don't know until we see what we're spending on rather than just how much can be spent on something.

The whole "available points to available options" ratio has nothing to do with a nerf as such, you are correct. You could theoretically allow the same builds with a much lower ratio (by just adding new stuff), as you could with a higher one. The only thing it affects is the possible variation of builds - and that one is maximised (1) by number of choices in total and (2) by getting close to 50% of them filled on a maxed character. If you have only one point to spend or if you have all but one slot filled, it would be the same (meager) amount of variation: the choice of one skill, in one case to get in the other to not get.

So in having around 50% of the skills available to obtain we are actually the farthest away from "everybody having the same build" at least in theory. In practice, there will always be some "must haves" and some "whatever are they good for?" skills, which will decrease variation. This can, however, be mitigated or increased by the tree system - you may have to get "meh" skills to get your one goal, while a "must have" at the fifth branch can make everything before it "must have" as well.

Long story short: you cannot use simple ratios here to determine "nerf or no nerf" at all, and you can only use them as a rough indicator for "everybody gets the same build under the new system". It has itself a high number of possibilities, not as high as before (less options available) but the question is how much some of the choices before really did matter - the more broken down they are, the less the individual one really affects, and how many will now.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Aw, my post is going to be on the 7'th page. Anyways thanks, really looking forward to these changes. The last QOL change you made was the ground and space trait separation which was great. Keep up the good work guys. 2015 was a great year for STO i'm looking forward to 2016.

If you want a suggestion for things I think players would like it would be to please add more ground and space skills (from the reputation to be used. You get all these skills and then you only get to use four or five. Honestly most players use zero of the abilities from most of the reputations. Personally I would like it very much if you went back to allowing people to choose four from each with one active the way it was originally. Or at least let people choose one or two from each reputation.

Anyways, keep up the good work guys, thanks!
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    Detailed tootips please XD
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

P.S please put something in for torpedo and mine pilots. We often get left out.

Exactly, IMO this is looking very bad right now as we ultimately loose the ability to fine-tune our ship builds.
    Yes there may be A LOT to take in with the current skill tree, but ultimately it gives us the players much more power and control over the ships we fly.
    Don't take that away from us.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    I'd like to know a bit more about Coordination Protocols :smile:

Is this strictly for hangar pets, or will this also grant bonuses to pets that we can "summon"? I'm thinking separated saucers and the Aquarius (and its kdf counterpart) mostly.

Just hangar pets.

I'd like to humbly request that you reconsider this. It unduly narrows the usefulness of this spec. It also gives yet another advantage to ships with hangers over those with just pet consoles. Hangers pets already get hanger commands, increasing stats, elite versions, and don't even require a console slot.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    looks like they are trying to set up a new system they can monetize in the future. Just like all the other over hauls.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016

At least wait till us (bug hunters or tribble testers) have broken it down to shed some more light...

(See my first post on Pg.1 just below yours)
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    looks like they are trying to set up a new system they can monetize in the future. Just like all the other over hauls.

And more reason not to give them money.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    We're proud to announce our new Skill System Revamp! We have set out to create a more streamlined experience that makes gaining levels and skills more enjoyable and impactful.

It certainly adds new sockets to put in some game mechanics that are much needed.

I would love to see a skill than adds half of your crit chance to the proc chance of your weapons. Right now Antiproton is king over all other energy types for damage dealing because its nifty feature scales with crit chance and all the other weapon special effects don't. Adding a portion of crit chance to proc chance would go a long way towards putting the other five energy types back on par and greatly open up synergistic gearing options.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    We're proud to announce our new Skill System Revamp! We have set out to create a more streamlined experience that makes gaining levels and skills more enjoyable and impactful.

It certainly adds new sockets to put in some game mechanics that are much needed.

I would love to see a skill than adds half of your crit chance to the proc chance of your weapons. Right now Antiproton is king over all other energy types for damage dealing because its nifty feature scales with crit chance and all the other weapon special effects don't. Adding a portion of crit chance to proc chance would go a long way towards putting the other five energy types back on par and greatly open up synergistic gearing options.

some of those procs you REALLY don't want to have higher than 2.5% if only for sanity's sake...elachi immediately comes to mind, as does phaser and polaron​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2016

Bug Hunters Assemble​​

:::Puts on Decoder Ring:::

Da... Da... Da... DAAAAAA!
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    @borticuscryptic

Soooo am i right in thinking that it will be another grind fest...

We will get our base levels that will fill up certain amounts of the trees but then anything else will have to be ground out like spec points??.....​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Not sure how this will end up as we know now that some skills cost 3 out of our 46 space or 10 ground points, so we will probably end up more narrowly focused in this system than with our current one. Not seeing this as an improvement from a player perspective but more as a marketing ploy to get people to keep buying more respecs than they currently do.

When it arrives on Tribble we will know more but for know I refuse to cheer on it's arrival.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    My apologies if this has already been posted, I can't be bothered to read through several pages of posts but....

I hereby predict we'll be seeing purchasable skills in lockboxes in a few weeks or months to come. Either that or some other way to monetize this will come out of it.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    So no answers to my 3 questions? @borticuscryptic?

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Good I will like this new system. And I get a chance to redo my Specs. Some of my stuff is kinda messed up on my first 2 characters. So this will make me do it better this time around.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I'm curious how this will affect one piece of gear in particular: The Romulan Engines. Will they continue boosting Attack Patterns, or be switched to something else since that skill no longer exists?

Items that grant Attack Patterns will be translated to granting one of the new Skills. Probably either Weapon Penetration or Long-Range Targeting.

That raises a point. Those of us who are not Gold accounts won't have access to Tribble to see the effects of the skill revamp or experiment with them.

When the revamp goes live, we will be forced to select skills immediately. But we won't know in advance how our items and traits have been modified, will we? Are we going to have to select skills blindly?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    The only question I have is how this will affect current players, regardless of their level. Will we be given the chance to start over and reselect our skills, or are you going to just leave us to dry?

As I've already mentioned, all existing players will automatically have their Skills refunded when this system goes to Holodeck. You will be automatically granted the correct number of Space Points and Ground Points based on your current level.

Whats the amount of "maxed" Spec points we get in the current system as of now? 90 or 120? it was discussed before in other forums but cant remember and just want to make sure at least we get this refunded when the new system starts.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It makes perfect sense, if you want to defend against something you have to first understand how it works, the skill grouping is just common sense.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    This doesn't tell us if we all will be starting from scratch or will Level-60 players be able to mostly fill the tree at the get-go?
    :|

^^ This. I'm extremely skeptical, tbh. For one, a tooltip showing when you traverse and MouseOver a tree, is a lot more confusing then just the flat-out skills screen.

Also, consolidating skills you de facto lose on the deal, as, like Risian4 said, I may want to invest in Graviton Generators, but not in Subspace decompiler, etc.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    storules wrote: »
    Whats the amount of "maxed" Spec points we get in the current system as of now? 90 or 120? it was discussed before in other forums but cant remember and just want to make sure at least we get this refunded when the new system starts.​​

For the umpteenth time -- Specs are not Skills. We are not touching Specializations, nor have any need to change or refund your points in that regard, when this system revamp goes live.

Your Skills will be reset appropriately.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Whats the amount of "maxed" Spec points we get in the current system as of now? 90 or 120? it was discussed before in other forums but cant remember and just want to make sure at least we get this refunded when the new system starts.

For the umpteenth time -- Specs are not Skills. We are not touching Specializations, nor have any need to change or refund your points in that regard, when this system revamp goes live.

Your Skills will be reset appropriately.

why do i get the feeling you were repeatedly bashing your head against your keyboard shortly before typing that?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.