Install Arc
Options

Skill System Revamp

Comments

• Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    But not everyone is going to go to Tribble first. Will players be able to look at their current traits/loadouts/inventory/etc to see what's changed while they're selecting skills? I don't mind choosing skills all over again as long as it's an informed choice.

The new Skill System has no "preview and then lock in" functionality. You will spend points, and they will be applied immediately. No previewing. But this also does away with the annoyance of needing to spend all of your Skill Points perfectly before being allowed to apply a Respec. You also no longer need to visit a specific NPC to do so - it's all handled directly from the UI.

You may be misunderstanding the question. I'm not asking about preview and lock in.

We know that various items, traits, etc modify skills and these will have to be changed to fit the new system. But we won't know in advance how everything is changing.

I'm asking whether we would be able to view our character and our inventories in a separate window while we're picking skills, so we know that we're taking best advantage of the items we've got. Or will we have to pick our skills without knowing how our items, traits, etc have been changed?

IIRC, Tribble only gets locked down for Subs Only, when they are doing Expansion Preparation. You should be able to Test your stuff on Tribble Blue Geek.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    takfel wrote: »
    storules wrote: »
    storules wrote: »
    Whats the amount of "maxed" Spec points we get in the current system as of now? 90 or 120? it was discussed before in other forums but cant remember and just want to make sure at least we get this refunded when the new system starts.

For the umpteenth time -- Specs are not Skills. We are not touching Specializations, nor have any need to change or refund your points in that regard, when this system revamp goes live.

Your Skills will be reset appropriately.

Sorry but the Blog News was not very well written and I'm sure I'm not the only person who was confused as for the "umteenth time" designation. Perhaps putting that information in the news article would have suffice much better. After all some of us are not rocket scientists to figure out a wall of text and just MMO players.

Thanks for clarifying tiger-2.gif​​
    Nice
    /makes popcorn

I just have one question. Will this be part of the final?

If it is..., Some of us are going to fail miserably...

shocked%20emoji.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I am 1000% in favour of this change for this reason:

"...we anticipate players feeling many compelling reasons to step outside of their usual comfort zone and perhaps even exploring new ways of progressing their captain and starship."

I'm not saying there's no skill involved in 'certain' builds, but my god are they boring to fly and fly with.......
    What's more, their prevalence has a knock on effect making the game less interesting.

Thank you Cryptic. This has been a long time coming.

"So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User

Are you going to ask about every single thing that modifies Skills?

Are you going to be snide every time someone asks a question?

• Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    viox2k wrote: »
    vote for 8k dil for respec please

Respec's in this game should be flat out free ... this is one of the few games I play that it's not ...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    More shield penetration? Ugh

That is actually helpful for Torpedo Boats.
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    This just screams "don't spend any more money on cryptic's products"...
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    But not everyone is going to go to Tribble first. Will players be able to look at their current traits/loadouts/inventory/etc to see what's changed while they're selecting skills? I don't mind choosing skills all over again as long as it's an informed choice.

The new Skill System has no "preview and then lock in" functionality. You will spend points, and they will be applied immediately. No previewing. But this also does away with the annoyance of needing to spend all of your Skill Points perfectly before being allowed to apply a Respec. You also no longer need to visit a specific NPC to do so - it's all handled directly from the UI.

Unless Respecs are being made completely "free" this is entirely unacceptable. Unless of course it is by design to drive up the sales of Respec tokens.
    Now assuming "paid" respec tokens are here to stay, a preview option is an absolute must so that players can have a complete view of what their build will look like, before committing to it.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Especially with a new system like this, I forsee many mistakes being made (like investing in, say, Attack Patterns, only to find out other abilities already automagically granted you the max). Will it come with a grace period?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Ok geniuses really BAD idea! You are going the route that WOW took by dumbing the game down. You are going to reduce the customization to ZERO so everyone is the same bland cookie cutter as everyone else. BAD BAD BAD Idea! Customization of your charecters skills was one of the great things this game had going for it. Now you are pretty much forcing people into a box. If I wanted to be forced to have a cookie cutter toon I'd still be playing WOW. Ever look at the numbers of subscribers of WOW before the skill set changes to after? They took a nose dive. You no longer had a charecter that was really unique to your play style but a generic one that was limited in many ways. I had a Hunter who was a very good long range attack that was reduced to one that didn't excell at anything due to the limits imposed by the fewer skill points and options and mandatory must have this or that. Did you hire folks from Blizzrd to do the brillant revamp? Big mistake maybe instead of a revamp being clearer on what each skill does would have been better. I bet your player base takes a nose dive after this misguided revamp gets rammed down our throats.
    Post edited by ssbn655 on
  • Options
    Would like to see something like this on the website to preview the changes rather than having to go to tribble if you just want to see the change rather than test.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dreambeamboat_6360

As of now, I'm not so sure the changes do:
    For some time now, we have been looking to improve this progression system. We know that new players often have a difficult time coming to understand the many options presented, what they do, and what the “right” choice for them might be at any time.

The plus only being that ground points and space points are completely separated and a bit of fat trimmed. There are still seems to be builds that will be more effecive.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Maybe I'm misreading this, but the older, creakier Champions Online engine allows you to putz about in the Power House to make sure you're getting what you want with no penalty to redo until you leave. Why not this?
    <3
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Ok geniuses at cryptic what happens to those of us who have filled the skill sets that exist now? You did not make it clear if we have points credited for filling the trees that we can use to fill the new trees, We autimatcly get maxed trees related to the ones we finished, or that we have to start the long grind all over again? Form what was put it your handing a smelly stick to those of us who did the current skill sets.

I think Bort said we pretty much get the equivalent to spend of what we have now.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Unless Respecs are being made completely "free" this is entirely unacceptable. Unless of course it is by design to drive up the sales of Respec tokens.
    Now assuming "paid" respec tokens are here to stay, a preview option is an absolute must so that players can have a complete view of what their build will look like, before committing to it.

Why is it, that when I hear you talk about "paid respec tokens are here to stay," that I suddenly think this was the point of the whole exercise?! Or am I being too cynical now?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    cryptiecop wrote: »

Respec's in this game should be flat out free ... this is one of the few games I play that it's not ...

u nailed it, but cryptic doesnt care, its money > fun

• Options
    huskerklg wrote: »

Are you going to ask about every single thing that modifies Skills?

Only if the Same person begins asking about every single item in a basic category, when the generalization for that category has already been given. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Especially with a new system like this, I forsee many mistakes being made (like investing in, say, Attack Patterns, only to find out other abilities already automagically granted you the max). Will it come with a grace period?

How many times does he have to Say that Attack Patterns are not in the New Skill tree, before you get it?
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
  • Options
    Ok geniuses at cryptic what happens to those of us who have filled the skill sets that exist now? You did not make it clear if we have points credited for filling the trees that we can use to fill the new trees, We autimatcly get maxed trees related to the ones we finished, or that we have to start the long grind all over again? Form what was put it your handing a smelly stick to those of us who did the current skill sets.

It's been Stated Repeatedly in this thread what will happen. Everyone gets a Free Respec, and you will be credited the equeal amount of Points based on your current level.
  • Options
    So Long-Range Targeting Sensors + Cannons = Cannons with less falloff like we've been wanting?

Cannons and Beams have been adjusted so that they now have Equal Fallout. Plus now we have the Longe-Range Targeting on top of that. :smile:
  • Options
    primar13 wrote: »

How many times does he have to Say that Attack Patterns are not in the Spec tree, before you get it?

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Only if the Same person begins asking about every single item in a basic category, when the generalization for that category has already been given. :)

No call for someone professional doing that.

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    It look's good on paper, but....

Why is it, that when I hear you talk about "paid respec tokens are here to stay," that I suddenly think this was the point of the whole exercise?! Or am I being too cynical now?

This is the thing, respec's should be free, or at least one respec per day for free.

My fear is how else are you monetizing this? I hope you will not be selling special skills in lockboxes, like you do with traits and boff skills!

Most, if not all of which the average player has no hope of ever getting...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    cryptiecop wrote: »

Never thought about it, almost all the games I play they very much arnt free.
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    More shield penetration? Ugh

That is actually helpful for Torpedo Boats.

And not too helpful for shield tanks.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    > @huskerklg said:
    > No call for someone professional doing that.

Have you met Donald Trump?
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It look's good on paper, but....

This is the thing, respec's should be free, or at least one respec per day for free.

My fear is how else are you monetizing this? I hope you will not be selling special skills in lockboxes, like you do with traits and boff skills!

Most, if not all of which the average player has no hope of ever getting...

My fear is that none of the new skills (and how they relate to each other) will be immediately clear to people; and yet, on the first day, you'll be forced to respec (lest you have no skills at all). So, I'd wager people will need a realistic minimum of at least 10 free respec tokens until they get a comparable layout to what they had before.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    Cannons and Beams have been adjusted so that they now have Equal Fallout. Plus now we have the Longe-Range Targeting on top of that. :smile:

When did that happen? I've been gone a little while but not that long.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

I think Bort said we pretty much get the equivalent to spend of what we have now.

Yes on fewer options that restrict your customization and will really hurt some players. It sounds like you are being forced to spend a lot of points on skills that some of us don't give a bleep about but under this are now must haves or unwanted unlocks.
  • Options
    defconkiddefconkid Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hi all, it's been a while since I stopped playing (3 out of my 4 chars already were level 50, which was by then the level cap, I've been told it was increased but never came back), but still follow the game on FB, and just got this piece of info.... forgive me for being lazy at this time of night (it's 00:05 a.m. here).... I hope either we get free respecs for all our chars, or at least all our points will be freely reset, allowing us to relocate them under this weird new system?