What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Holodeck Connection Issues [2/13]

Comments

• Options
    spectrusregentspectrusregent Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    @daveyny

Regarding the multiple servers, thats a built in feature that acts as part of its COOP, whereas Cryptics plan is leave two games on one server which makes it even more exposed, and its COOP is to allow the DDOS'ers to dictate when they are allowed to operate. Thats no COOP plan, especially for a firm that is an online industry.

The difference is Blizzard has a plan vs no plan, other than waiting it out.

Agreed. SysAdmins who don't understand this basic SLA concept are soon unemployed.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User
    @daveyny

Regarding the multiple servers, thats a built in feature that acts as part of its COOP, whereas Cryptics plan is leave two games on one server which makes it even more exposed, and its COOP is to allow the DDOS'ers to dictate when they are allowed to operate. Thats no COOP plan, especially for a firm that is an online industry.

The difference is Blizzard has a plan vs no plan, other than waiting it out.

Sigh. That just means it would be much more expensive to DDoS WoW, so it happens less often. Same with PSN and Xbox Live.

Bigger game / company = more servers = more expensive to DDoS = happens less often.

So, if we can magically increase the STO playerbase tenfold then we will magically have less DDosS issues. MAGIC!
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    @davefenestrator

Sigh. PWE shouldve invested in additional server/services along time ago, especially when they had a larger player base for STO but they decided to do it on the cheap, we know they havent spent the money on paid bugstompers, or to fix the huds drain on graphics, or testers that pre test new releases before they unleas them on the player base (and TRIBBLE up half of the game, requiring "emergency patches").

It also hasnt been to test the effects of changes put in the combat systems so unexpected things happen with boff powers or weapons in game either. It sure hasnt been spent on measures they would be effective in tracking, and stopping, a snot nosed punk that not only has been DDOSing for half-a-year but announces it ahead of time and has "meet and greets" with people on NWN so people can take "selfies" with them. The least that Cryptic could do is seperate NWN and STO onto two servers, heck, rent server space from someone
    !
  • Options
    Sigh. Are you planning to donate a few million to Cryptic to hire extra staff and to run extra servers for the next year?

PWE/Cryptic runs STO as a business not a charity. If their income is $x they can't spend $2x on staff and servers.

Only goofy web startups can lose $100 million offering cat washing "on the internet" / "with an app!" and then con people into giving them $200 million more to lose.
  • Options
    Sadly, targeted advertising firms will not pay Cryptic any money for access to our combat logs :(
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    *A droid strolls into the thread* Query: Has the meatbag known as 'the little twerp' been terminated?

Request: Please, convince my master to remove my restraining bolt so that I may initiate assassination protocols.

loving the HK 47 reference

27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Here's an idea to run with: Develop an STO app that lets us take care of some of the daily "chores" from our mobile devices. You could make admiralty and duty officer missions available easy. I could even see the exchange being added, making it easier for players to shop for deals throughout the day. Here's the incentive: the gazillions of daily users who will be logging into the game every five minutes when they check their phones. Seems like a win win.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    *A droid strolls into the thread* Query: Has the meatbag known as 'the little twerp' been terminated?

Request: Please, convince my master to remove my restraining bolt so that I may initiate assassination protocols.

loving the HK 47 reference

Statement: It seemed appropriate given the post above me.

*Someone offscreen starts pushing the droid away* Panicked Request: HEEEEEELP!

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    embraceofchaosembraceofchaos Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I have family that works for Law Enforcement. They are putting together information to get a warrant on that little skid. IC-5, the Data Crimes division of the FBI has been working with U.K. law enforecement to deal with the situation. Trendy can't say what is going on because it would hurt the effort. I have been able to verify that his parents work for the U.K. government, and that he is attacking with a service that his parents pay for in order to test system vulnerability. Hang tight guys, he will be getting his reward....
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    You know, I have just come to the conclusion that these DDOS attacks are really introductory content for Season 12, for when STO introduces the Bynars as a new rogue faction/enemy.

The DDOS attacks are "working as intended".
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *Looks at his Bynar Doffs with an eye of scepticism...*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Server just got another few SNR's just now. Getting rubber-banding, too. Signs of an impending attack?

EDIT: Yes, he's doin it again.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Is he at it again tonight (2/15)? Because I just started experiencing massive lag and rubberbanding, SNR and finally just got disconnected... in the middle of a Delta Quad system patrol...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    *sigh* Here we go again.

I think Trendy is going to need a lifetime supply of bacon for handling all of this.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Any notice that this dork seems to only play on the X1? If that's the case then this is a Xbox live issue as well. That being the case it's just a matter of time. When Microsoft goes after you they let keep digging the hole deeper and when you think you are untouchable. Then the last thing you here is the dump truck, and a knock at the door and search warrant ends up in your face as you get cuffed. I will pop popcorn and watch with glee.
  • Options
    kryshalskryshals Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    So when are you going to do something about him? You know who he is, you know where he is. Do something about him.
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    they've been attacking for a while now,so it could be they're attacking the login server...you might be able to set up a switch that diverts whatever they're doing to attack the server to a decoy that just gathers all the data and runs TraceRt xD

even if it came from multiple areas, whatever they're useing could be documented, analyzed, countered, and who knows, they MIGHT could get busted for it.

takeing computer tech classes pays off lol Comptia for the win
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Yep... Login2_Timeout, definitely a "Here We Go Again"...

I don't there's enough bacon in the universe to pay Trendy - or the people doing work behind the scenes - for everything they go through because of this... brat... his overblown sense of entitlement, or - for that matter - our collective tempers as players denied...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    He is at it again. Now his demands are get some guy on twitter 150 followers and he will stop. Guess the guy donated $1500 to his cause. For now I am done with this game and canceling my subscription till I see an announcement that it is done with and by that I mean you catch him or you give into his demands what ever they are. I suggest you pick the latter since its taking you over a month to correct it. I am amazed that your business is online games and you can't stay online due to some punk. Good luck PWE I have a feeling this keeps up there will be layoffs in your future
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator
    mugombie1 wrote: »
    He is at it again. Now his demands are get some guy on twitter 150 followers and he will stop. Guess the guy donated $1500 to his cause. For now I am done with this game and canceling my subscription till I see an announcement that it is done with and by that I mean you catch him or you give into his demands what ever they are. I suggest you pick the latter since its taking you over a month to correct it. I am amazed that your business is online games and you can't stay online due to some punk. Good luck PWE I have a feeling this keeps up there will be layoffs in your future

Dude... relax. Its just a game. If word on the grapevine is accurate... the noose is closing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

I don't there's enough bacon in the universe to pay Trendy - or the people doing work behind the scenes - for everything they go through because of this... brat... his overblown sense of entitlement, or - for that matter - our collective tempers as players denied...

I fail to see the logic in rewarding failure.

eyebrow-081.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

Maybe Cryptic should follow the money after all even electronic transfers leave a trail.
  • Options
    olixioolixio Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Excellent timing. Just in time for dinner.
  • Options
    sov42 wrote: »

*Starts laughing*

I'm sorry, but I do believe that's the first time that anyone's actually considered the possiblity that I operate under 'Logic'...
    Typically, the conclusion reached is that I operate under 'Insanity'.
  • Options
    mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Dude... relax. Its just a game. If word on the grapevine is accurate... the noose is closing.

I am quite relaxed. I would be very understanding if this was an occasional occurrence. I also understand international law can be tricky. Another thing I understand is DDOS attacks are a pain in the rear but come on this is out of hand. You white knighting will not help a thing but people dropping subscriptions and not unlocking boxes will make them do something or they will fail.
  • Options
    culexofborgculexofborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »

*Starts laughing*

I'm sorry, but I do believe that's the first time that anyone's actually considered the possiblity that I operate under 'Logic'...
    Typically, the conclusion reached is that I operate under 'Insanity'.

Insanity has a logic all its own.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    Score +1 for the bad guys.

16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator
    I am quite relaxed. I would be very understanding if this was an occasional occurrence. I also understand international law can be tricky. Another thing I understand is DDOS attacks are a pain in the rear but come on this is out of hand. You white knighting will not help a thing but people dropping subscriptions and not unlocking boxes will make them do something or they will fail.

Suggesting they submit to a cyber criminal is also not going to solve anything. It sets a dangerous precident that would open the floodgates. Soon we'll have people shutting down STO until PvP is revamped, Reputation's are removed, Tovan Kev is dismissable...

Where does it end?

Best to just ride it out and get on when things stabilize again.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)