test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A question to the Developers: Is it even remotely feasible?

semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
Is it even possible for you guys to actually shut down the servers for a week and really dig into the guts of your servers and possibly give them the tune up they seem to desparately need? The forums here, the game chat, even the game itself with the constant lag on various maps seems to suggest your servers are dying or at least in a state of disrepair. Can we get some confirmation about what may he possibly happen ing I'm sure we would all appreciate it. And I know you guys aren't IT experts but any knowledge you may have would be awesome!
tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

Comments

• Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I still think they're starving the hamsters to see how long they'll survive.

With all the Zen sales I can't imagine they can't afford to feed them, after all.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    are you nuts? the way some people carry on if maintenance lasts even a SECOND longer than it's supposed to, no way in hell they'd ever take the game down for an entire week...junkies die if they go too long without a fix, after all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Well you know, since most of them aren't paying to play it's not like they're going to lose a whole mess of subs or anything if they did shut it down.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    are you nuts? the way some people carry on if maintenance lasts even a SECOND longer than it's supposed to, no way in hell they'd ever take the game down for an entire week...junkies die if they go too long without a fix, after all​​

Indeed. How am I supposed to survive for a week without STO?
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    A week long shut down would result in a MASSIVE loss of revenue, NO mmo team would EVER do that, it literally would be development suicide, even WoW would have a hard time recovering from that as it would push current and future players away
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    malkeckmalkeck Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I would gladly lose a week of STO if it would give cryptic the time they needed to fix things. The random disconnects, lags getting annoying and can drive players away if ignored.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    Is it even possible for you guys to actually shut down the servers for a week and really dig into the guts of your servers and possibly give them the tune up they seem to desparately need? The forums here, the game chat, even the game itself with the constant lag on various maps seems to suggest your servers are dying or at least in a state of disrepair. Can we get some confirmation about what may he possibly happen ing I'm sure we would all appreciate it. And I know you guys aren't IT experts but any knowledge you may have would be awesome!

Sure, lets shut down the game for a week because your internet sucks.

Seriously, I know you're trying to offer help, but this suggestion is just awful. Especially since all the problems you're experiencing are completely on your end. You need to do some diagnostics on your computer and your internet connection, because there is nothing wrong with the servers. The game runs perfectly fine, the problem is on your side.

Sorry to be so frank, I'm not trying to be combative, but this suggestion would serve no purpose except to start bleeding off players. Please don't suggest that the vast majority of us that are playing just fine have to wait a week because you have a terrible ISP.

Thanks.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

Sure, lets shut down the game for a week because your internet sucks.

Seriously, I know you're trying to offer help, but this suggestion is just awful. Especially since all the problems you're experiencing are completely on your end. You need to do some diagnostics on your computer and your internet connection, because there is nothing wrong with the servers. The game runs perfectly fine, the problem is on your side.

Thanks.

Doubtful. Many players from different countries are experiencing these problems.

Though I agree that shutting down the game would be unwise.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Hate to break it to you kids but you don't have a clue about networking. It's not the servers. If the servers were screwed up, the game wouldn't even allow you to log in.

Problem is with the infrastructure. IE, Cabling, from your computer to your ISP, ISP out to god knows how many bounces through servers, switches and points to even get to PWE's servers then to bounce back.

So frankly, PWE probably needs to update and buy new switches, routers etc and get a better backbone, like IDK FIBER OPTICS!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    Problem is its not my Internet at all I got 5 SNRs then disconnects and quit and switched over to FFXIV and have no issues it's clearly the game not my internet. It's especially evident when I start lagging and rubber banding I set my graphics from max to.minimum and it keeps getting worse. I can literally lag out of STO and swap games and have no issues with the other game and I do this repeatedly which means.its STO not my net.

• Options
    risian4 wrote: »
    Doubtful. Many players from different countries are experiencing these problems.

If by 'many' you mean dozens.. Then sure.

There are thousands and thousands of players in STO and the same 10 people always complaining about lag. Every time their PC is acting up, or their internet is running slow, they start threads and pretend that it's an epidemic that effects everyone, when it doesn't.

Sure, most of us get occasional lag spikes, it's not perfect by any means. Overall though the game is very stable and plays smooth the vast majority of the time. These problems effect an extremely small portion of the player base.
  • Options
    I agree but over the last 3 weeks it's been getting more an more comon I can't go a single hour without at least 2 SNRs and if you are gonna tell my my internet is always messing up or my computer is which is way over specced for this game then you have a few screws loose I'm sorry to say. And it's not just certain times of day it happens randomly at different times for different lengths of time but every single time.it does my other games are fine

• Options
    I agree but over the last 3 weeks it's been getting more an more comon I can't go a single hour without at least 2 SNRs and if you are gonna tell my my internet is always messing up or my computer is which is way over specced for this game then you have a few screws loose I'm sorry to say. And it's not just certain times of day it happens randomly at different times for different lengths of time but every single time.it does my other games are fine

Either you have been unlucky and your play time is during DDOS attacks or your ISP isn't as stable as you think. I play this game from work sometimes on an under spec laptop tethered to my iPhone and even then don't have the problems you're having. You should try a trace route or something because obviously there is some packet loss somewhere between you and the game server.
  • Options
    Problem is its not my Internet at all I got 5 SNRs then disconnects and quit and switched over to FFXIV and have no issues it's clearly the game not my internet. It's especially evident when I start lagging and rubber banding I set my graphics from max to.minimum and it keeps getting worse. I can literally lag out of STO and swap games and have no issues with the other game and I do this repeatedly which means.its STO not my net.

Just because it's the network and infrastructure doesn't mean it's not on PWE's end. They have to have cabling, routers, switches etc to get the data back and forth. Those are the choke points and THAT is the problems for latency, packet loss and lag.

Not the servers. Seriously now, take a networking class or read a book! For pete's sake IT IS NOT THE SERVER. PERIOD, THE END.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »

Just because it's the network and infrastructure doesn't mean it's not on PWE's end. They have to have cabling, routers, switches etc to get the data back and forth. Those are the choke points and THAT is the problems for latency, packet loss and lag.

Not the servers. Seriously now, take a networking class or read a book! For pete's sake IT IS NOT THE SERVER. PERIOD, THE END.

I tried downloading an e-book, but I couldn't. Must be Amazon's servers... :/:p
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Server rooms get the game install it onto the server and from there you can log in to it it is not in to the hands of sto or pwe. that said, there are server companies arround the world where the game is send to with all the updates and installed and you can log in to that server and play the game. You do this most normaly but you can routed it to a DNS Adress so it will respond a lot quicker than the standard stuff but I will not advice you this if you don't know what your doing, that seems to be the case here. But ask help from friends who might know a thing or two about Inernet and DNS Servers, But yeah in these months it's pretty bussy with all the festivals going on but I must say the game is holding perfectly. But OP I would sugest to take a look at your own network and bandwith because over here Amsterdam Holland everything is great !!! Game is running perfectly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Well in any case we are getting off topic. All I'm asking is if it is possible for them to do extended maintenence at all beside the 2 or 3 hours they usually do and if the have any ideas of why soo many people consistently have these issues (and there are plenty of times where people have been complaining of lag and Disconnects when I'm fine and keep on playing) without the usual ticket response of check your ISP or the troll responses of Git Moar Internets.

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Had all the problems mentioned previously. Was aggravated. Two of my Fleet mates suggested uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it. I balked at first. After all it is now about a 12GB download. But I eventually talked myself into it.

I still have problems. But they have been reduced to very occasional and very minor annoyances.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Server rooms get the game install it onto the server and from there you can log in to it it is not in to the hands of sto or pwe. that said, there are server companies arround the world where the game is send to with all the updates and installed and you can log in to that server and play the game. You do this most normaly but you can routed it to a DNS Adress so it will respond a lot quicker than the standard stuff but I will not advice you this if you don't know what your doing, that seems to be the case here. But ask help from friends who might know a thing or two about Inernet and DNS Servers, But yeah in these months it's pretty bussy with all the festivals going on but I must say the game is holding perfectly. But OP I would sugest to take a look at your own network and bandwith because over here Amsterdam Holland everything is great !!! Game is running perfectly...

Well I'm also near Amsterdam and I'm experiencing lag every now and then, say once or twice in a few hours. It usually lasts for a minute or two, at most, though. So it's not really serious but it does happen at times, even when I can still do other things that require internet. So it's most likely what @talonxv said. Problem doesn't lie with having bad internet on the player's side or bad servers at Cryptic/PWE, but somewhere in-between.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    malkeck wrote: »
    I would gladly lose a week of STO if it would give cryptic the time they needed to fix things. The random disconnects, lags getting annoying and can drive players away if ignored.

YOU may be willing to make that sacrifice, and so may a number of other players, but make no mistake you are in the EXTREME minority. If any MMO were to close down for a week, a very large percentage of active players would take it as "the end is coming" and go elsewhere, and most of the remaining players would either leave out of annoyance, or accidentally find a different MMO they like during the downtime. Future players considering trying the game out would find the internet covered in articles about the temporary shut down and most likely skip the game.

So, they would lose an extreme amount of revenue not just for one week, but for the entire remaining life of the game. This will never, ever happen. No amount of lag could ever cause the amount of damage this proposal would.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

If by 'many' you mean dozens.. Then sure.

There are thousands and thousands of players in STO and the same 10 people always complaining about lag. Every time their PC is acting up, or their internet is running slow, they start threads and pretend that it's an epidemic that effects everyone, when it doesn't.

Sure, most of us get occasional lag spikes, it's not perfect by any means. Overall though the game is very stable and plays smooth the vast majority of the time. These problems effect an extremely small portion of the player base.

Cut the bs. These lag issues have been going on for YEARS. They are acknowledged problems by Cryptic. Don't try to pull the 'its the players issue' on people when it isn't.
    Either you have been unlucky and your play time is during DDOS attacks or your ISP isn't as stable as you think. I play this game from work sometimes on an under spec laptop tethered to my iPhone and even then don't have the problems you're having. You should try a trace route or something because obviously there is some packet loss somewhere between you and the game server.

Don't be dense. That is literally saying 'I don't experience it personally therefore nobody else does either.' Its not an issue on the players end
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    If I find that the game begins to act up, I find that turning off my modem and router for 15 to 20 minutes almost always fixes the problem.
    For me anyway, it's 99% of the time a crappy IP address that Time/Warner has connected me to.
    But disconnecting and waiting for awhile, lets my system pick up a new address and things work a whole lot better.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    I've done that too fixes the issue about 20% of the time. Among other issues my fleetmates, my friends, and i have are inability to reach character selection without letting the game load for 15 minutes and instantaneous Disconnects upon login (i get this one about every other day)

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,117 Community Moderator
    That is rather odd. Only time I have problems is when DDoS Prick is playing, or the other computer is downloading something.

Could it be a regional issue?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    If I find that the game begins to act up, I find that turning off my modem and router for 15 to 20 minutes almost always fixes the problem.
    For me anyway, it's 99% of the time a crappy IP address that Time/Warner has connected me to.
    But disconnecting and waiting for awhile, lets my system pick up a new address and things work a whole lot better.
    <shrug>

Have you tried doing this through the windows command line

open cmd line
    type ipconfig/release <then hit enter>
    type ipconfig/renew <then hit enter>

You can check your IP before and after here to see if it works - http://www.whereisip.net/
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Don't be dense. That is literally saying 'I don't experience it personally therefore nobody else does either.' Its not an issue on the players end

And you're here doing the same thing. You think because you have lag, that everyone has lag.

We're doing the same thing, I just have more people behind my argument.

Pot.. kettle.. black.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,538 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    That is rather odd. Only time I have problems is when DDoS Prick is playing, or the other computer is downloading something.

Could it be a regional issue?

Same here. I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the US and usually only have problems during the DDoS. No lag outside of places like the Undine space battlezone with 20 people using every trait and power at once.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,117 Community Moderator
    Pacific Northwest? Hey! So am I!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    this game, its software, its engine, and mostly likely the hardware running this game...are ANCIENT, outdated and sub par. The fact that there are problems like this are completely as the should be tbh. This game is basically running on popsicle sticks and duct tape. Expecting the kind of performance people keep wanting from a game running on this old TRIBBLE is a ridiculous expectation.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Pacific Northwest? Hey! So am I!

Also depends on where the physical server is actually located. Might have to go through about 3 or 4 hops and when the DDoS guy goes in, he might be going through one of your hops and causing the issues.
    afMSv4g.jpg