test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Holodeck Connection Issues

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Do we even know who this person(s) is/are? Why don't we take vigilante justice and DDoS him until his TRIBBLE breaks - see if mommy and daddy front him the money for new equipment...

That implies someone has the tools and necessary information to find this person.
  • texasred79texasred79 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    What can they do? If the Pentagon can't stop a DDoS, what can Cryptic do?

If that was true, every script kiddie around the world would be holding EVERY corporate giant hostage. DDoS attacks can be stopped, if you have the right team working for you with the right equipment. I know they try to DDoS the guys I work for all the time (Big Multinational Conglomerate, we're a gigantic target) and we're able to stop them and sink them. And back when I worked for the Department of Defense, we were able to stop them. You just have to have the right team with the right equipment on it.

If DDoS attacks could not be stopped, the script kiddies would hold major corporations hostage all the time for ridiculous amounts of money. They certainly are stoppable.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Has there been some new development to set him off again? I mean he started attacking us months ago over this or that, then things got relatively quite again, maybe he lost interest, now he's back. Is there any rhyme or reason to it at all? Just wondering why he trying to ruin all our evenings THIS TIME, is all.

Not a clue. I think its a Power Trip. Hence the taunting last time.

Modded. Keep it nice please :smile:

Post edited by jodarkrider on
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,396 Community Moderator
    Well this prick isn't out for money. He's just being destructive.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    Two swipes with a blunt chain axe and this unutterable thing will never use its hands again.

Or one well aimed swipe and it'll never even be able to think about doing it again.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Modded. Removed reference to moderated post.
    edited January 2016
    Modded. Removed reference to moderated post.
  • dwwolfedwwolfe Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Ok, I can understand everyone's frustrations, Hell, I am frustrated too. But we really do need to try and keep the hostilities we feel personally from spilling into here and ruining things otherwise.

@pwlaughingtrendy and her team are working their 6s off to try and get this handled, and keep it handled.

And before anyone pops off that I work for them, let me clear the air once and for all. I do NOT work for Cryptic, nor CBS, nor PWE. I am just a F2P gamer that happens to really love this IP.

That being said, we have no idea if the person doing this is watching this thread laughing his 6 off at the hate and discontent he is creating here with collateral damage. Think about this... WE could ALL be playing right into his hands with all of this.

To trendy and her staff, I say Thank You for your hard work and dedication. To the Players, Thanks for being understanding. To the individual creating this strife ( should s/he be reading this) Move on, there is nothing more here to see. We are more mature than that and I, at least, will not get drug into your questionable behavior, regardless of the motives.
    Too many characters to list but still adding more.......The addiction to this game is real
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    8e48ec7244a1f482b075be6654d0664d.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    Good thing there is steam, games to play in the meantime
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
      dwwolfe wrote: »
      Ok, I can understand everyone's frustrations, Hell, I am frustrated too. But we really do need to try and keep the hostilities we feel personally from spilling into here and ruining things otherwise.

@pwlaughingtrendy and her team are working their 6s off to try and get this handled, and keep it handled.

And before anyone pops off that I work for them, let me clear the air once and for all. I do NOT work for Cryptic, nor CBS, nor PWE. I am just a F2P gamer that happens to really love this IP.

That being said, we have no idea if the person doing this is watching this thread laughing his 6 off at the hate and discontent he is creating here with collateral damage. Think about this... WE could ALL be playing right into his hands with all of this.

To trendy and her staff, I say Thank You for your hard work and dedication. To the Players, Thanks for being understanding. To the individual creating this strife ( should s/he be reading this) Move on, there is nothing more here to see. We are more mature than that and I, at least, will not get drug into your questionable behavior, regardless of the motives.

Well spoken sir...I recant my previous statements...
    • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 535 Arc User
      dwwolfe wrote: »

You said it much better than I could. :)
      "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
    • mjp06mjp06 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      I love how Nbreeki is giving a highlight reel of this thread on Twitter.

Seriously though, I really wish they'd catch this guy already. This is aggravating, I'm hopping into the game aiming to claim the freebie/turn over Admiralty BEFORE the Doxxing starts this week.

I know, it isn't Cryptic's fault. Lashing out at 'em is knee-jerk.
    • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
      Damn it there goes so much needed stress relief of blowing the TRIBBLE out of Borg!
    • jowolf18jowolf18 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
      Can you guys just shut down NeverWinter since it's the game he's spamming or whatever? I know it is on the same server as STO, But I don't think he has a character in STO? Or would he still be able to do what he's doing if you did shut it down?
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • lowjohnlowjohn Member Posts: 27 Arc User
        edited January 2016
        jowolf18 wrote: »
        Can you guys just shut down NeverWinter since it's the game he's spamming or whatever? I know it is on the same server as STO, But I don't think he has a character in STO? Or would he still be able to do what he's doing if you did shut it down?

He's attacking the server, not the application. So no, bringing down Neverwinter wouldn't solve the problem.

(I mean, given that his GOAL is to bring down Neverwinter? It also wouldn't solve the issue.)

Post edited by lowjohn on
      • pigsbanepigsbane Member Posts: 22 Arc User
        texasred79 wrote: »
        What can they do? If the Pentagon can't stop a DDoS, what can Cryptic do?

If that was true, every script kiddie around the world would be holding EVERY corporate giant hostage. DDoS attacks can be stopped, if you have the right team working for you with the right equipment. I know they try to DDoS the guys I work for all the time (Big Multinational Conglomerate, we're a gigantic target) and we're able to stop them and sink them. And back when I worked for the Department of Defense, we were able to stop them. You just have to have the right team with the right equipment on it.

If DDoS attacks could not be stopped, the script kiddies would hold major corporations hostage all the time for ridiculous amounts of money. They certainly are stoppable.
        Sorry, but I don't think you work for a 'Big Multinational Conglomerate'... If you did, you'd have just named them rather than putting it the way you did. Simply put, DDoS attacks can be stopped, after a while, HOWEVER there are MULTIPLE ways to do DDoS attacks (with more created all the time) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to prevent them all. The only way to stop a DDoS attack is to determine the method used then work to restructure the server software to block that style while still allowing legitimate access to the server. This however takes time and most DDoS attacks (at least on games) are either intermittant (as this one has been) or the person doing them stops after a certain point. Given that and how specificly a company often needs to identify the method used for a DDoS attack, they will often be done before they can restructure their software. (Generally if its only one person they will run for 12 to 16 hours, then stop at least for a little while, because while running a DDoS attack you are more open to outside attacks on your own system, so most DDoSers won't leave one running while they can't monitor it, since the ports they have opened so they can do the attack can be used to access their system) As for MY background with this (no, I'm not a hacker, unfortunately. If I was this script kiddie wouldn't have been at this as long as he has been.) Former US Army EW SIGINT Analyst who was assistant Network Security Officer and former Computer Science major. So believe me when I'm in a position to say that anyone claiming that a company can prevent these attacks and 'stop and sink them' is full of it. Even the DoD CONSTANTLY has problems with DDoS attacks, so I don't buy that claim of yours either. Or did you miss the news report last year about the DoD servers and other servers being SHUT DOWN last year due to DDoS attacks? Anyone who pays attention to the knews knows that the DoD and government has been subjected to them and their servers shut down for hours or, in some cases, days due to DDoS attacks as recently as last year...

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
        edited January 2016
        The problem is, people and companies don't report them and just give in and pay them to stop. If they can gain from it, even if it is isn't that often. They will continue to keep this stuff up. ZDNet has an interesting article on DDoS attacks hitting 500Gbps.
      • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
        We just got hit with a short "test" just a while ago. It was enough to make me log off for tonight.
        Looks like I'll be getting my stuff done during the day during the event
        NMXb2ph.png
        • jdfosterrocksjdfosterrocks Member Posts: 74 Arc User
          I'm gonna put this as simple as i can. one mistake criminals do is commit the act repeatedly. The more he/she attacks the server, the more evidence that is gathered. yes it's annoying what the said individual or indivduals are doing. blaming crypic/ their staff and/or related hosting the servers will not do any good. even if the attacker(s) is doing it for "revenge" that will not get what they want. one of the main purposes to ddos is to cause disruption and get attention for it. by applauding the individual doesn't make things better.

another thing, the known poster may or may not be doing it. maybe he is trying to get attention to distract us from the actual ones doing it. either way the rants towards the devs and staff needs to stop. I for one am getting tired of the community constantly throwing blame, flaming & other abuse on the forums and other forms of communication based on the situation.

one of the things that has been mentioned is the prices. what they charge may or may not be justifiable. quite frankly i dont care. if you dont like the prices, then do something else. either way i assume that there financial reports are confidential, and they have every right not to tell us.

another words, quit with the adolescent attitude and move on with your life. let the devs deal with the problems as efficiently as possible.
        • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
          having holodeck issues, guys? Is it the DDOS again?
        • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
          I'm guessing that to be the case. I started to get dc'd about a half hour ago. It's happened a couple of times since then.
        • carvin72carvin72 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
          So ... DDOS starting again?
          CRY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR
        • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
          carvin72 wrote: »

Yep affecting CO too.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
          Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
          he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
          In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
          He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
          He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
          He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
          He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
          carvin72 wrote: »

Yup. The cry-baby is at it again.
        • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
          Despite what the launcher says, normal gameplay is being severely affected. It once again is unplayable. Any fixes in the future? :|
        • jerlikinsjerlikins Member Posts: 22 Arc User
          Well, guess it's bedtime. :-P Hopefully it'll be resolved when I wake up, lest I have to pick something else to play obsessively for the rest of my long weekend.
          kyrrok wrote: »
          Despite what the launcher says, normal gameplay is being severely affected. It once again is unplayable. Any fixes in the future? :|

No kiddin. Can't even refine dil. @_@