test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do DEV'S play the game personally?

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Be careful with the Sudafed. For some people the side effects are so bad that the cure is worse than the disease.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    so, we know now that some devs play at STO; my question is : do you use also the crappy gambling systems? (r&d and upgrade). i know the reply, of course not; because you have already all the stuff for free. try these systems, and tell me that you like them.

I don't know who had this idea, but this is the worse of ideas. the only certainty we have when we use these systems, is the frustration. I can't thx you for that. the creation of builds is just became a pain in the behind.

The money for the games continued development needs to come from somewhere and every F2P MMORPG I've played has a paid loot box system, because quite frankly they make money, real actual money that trickles back down for more ships, missions and mechanics that people do enjoy.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Just ignore him and he will go away like the other one. There is no point in reasoning with people who can't comprehend reason.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Since we're all here would anyone mind sharing their insight about what the difference between being produced by Atari and owned by PWE have been? Was it easier to accomplish things when you didn't have a larger company looking over your shoulder 24/7?

A lot of Vitriol is redirected at PWE for making the Dev's jobs more difficult and I'm wondering if this is justified in some cases.

Edit: Just realized. Nobody can answer this because the only people who can are employed by PWE. Lol

I can answer, or . . . will answer . . .

:::speaks loudly toward the cardboard cutout of Spock that keeps making weird whirring noises:::

Was it easier to accomplish things when we didn't have a larger company looking over our shoulder? NO! PWE has been great for Cryptic, and great for STO. It's easier to accomplish things when your parent organization is willing to spend some money to let you make cool things. Atari had no money and that hampered a lot of what we did.

PWE IS THE MOST WONDERFUL COMPANY I HAVE EVER KNOWN!
    The collar around your neck stops beeping.
  • Options
    I'm crying right now... :lol:
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Since we're all here would anyone mind sharing their insight about what the difference between being produced by Atari and owned by PWE have been? Was it easier to accomplish things when you didn't have a larger company looking over your shoulder 24/7?

A lot of Vitriol is redirected at PWE for making the Dev's jobs more difficult and I'm wondering if this is justified in some cases.

Edit: Just realized. Nobody can answer this because the only people who can are employed by PWE. Lol

:::speaks loudly toward the cardboard cutout of Spock that keeps making weird whirring noises:::

Was it easier to accomplish things when we didn't have a larger company looking over our shoulder? NO! PWE has been great for Cryptic, and great for STO. It's easier to accomplish things when your parent organization is willing to spend some money to let you make cool things. Atari had no money and that hampered a lot of what we did.

That is never, ever, a good thing.... IE: Logan's Run/Running Man.

:dizzy:

Lookout Taco !
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User

why did i immediately think of Dead Money when i read that?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

why did i immediately think of Dead Money when i read that?​​
    Fun fact! I have a ring tone that is the dash animation from Ghosts in Dead Money.

Because I'm like that.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    bluedarky wrote: »
    so, we know now that some devs play at STO; my question is : do you use also the crappy gambling systems? (r&d and upgrade). i know the reply, of course not; because you have already all the stuff for free. try these systems, and tell me that you like them.

I don't know who had this idea, but this is the worse of ideas. the only certainty we have when we use these systems, is the frustration. I can't thx you for that. the creation of builds is just became a pain in the behind.

The money for the games continued development needs to come from somewhere and every F2P MMORPG I've played has a paid loot box system, because quite frankly they make money, real actual money that trickles back down for more ships, missions and mechanics that people do enjoy.

read again. I don't speak about money or boxes, but about the r&d and upgrade system. these 2 systems are just gambling, that's all. I want to really craft my stuff, not to pray TYCHE to have what I want.

btw, I spent a lot of money in game, but never for these systems.

and you samt1996, the ultimate annoying guy, try to open your mind and stop to be insulting and a disparaging person.
  • Options

why did i immediately think of Dead Money when i read that?
    Fun fact! I have a ring tone that is the dash animation from Ghosts in Dead Money.

Because I'm like that.

dash animation? i don't recall that having any kind of sound associated with it; i know the ghosts themselves are pretty vocal, what with that heavy, rasping, almost darth vader-esque breathing they do which lets the courier know one is close​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Lol I thought dead money too.
  • Options

Because I'm like that.

dash animation? i don't recall that having any kind of sound associated with it; i know the ghosts themselves are pretty vocal, what with that heavy, rasping, almost darth vader-esque breathing they do which lets the courier know one is close​​
    It's a fluttering sound effect as they do their 'hop'.

• Options

Because I'm like that.

dash animation? i don't recall that having any kind of sound associated with it; i know the ghosts themselves are pretty vocal, what with that heavy, rasping, almost darth vader-esque breathing they do which lets the courier know one is close
    It's a fluttering sound effect as they do their 'hop'.

oh, THAT sound; i always thought that was just a growl or a different type of breathing - i never bothered to notice it only occured when they leapt at you​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bluedarky wrote: »

Before people take the silliness in this post out of context, lets remember the time under Atari referred to as "The Year of Hell".

We had no content beyond the occasional bugfix (occasional meaning that an actual bugfix in the patch notes was celebrated), patch notes consisting of "Game Stability Improvements" or just no patch notes at all and promises made that were never going to be kept, and you still had to pay monthly for the privilege of playing the game.

Now we get content, we get bugfixes, and we can get it all for free, it might not be what everyone wants, but it's better than when we had nothing at all.
    Agreed. Atari apparently didn't have the budget for anything more than maintenance mode really. The game has gotten a lot better with them gone.

It's not that I hated Atari as a company. Some of my favorite arcade games were made by Atari(Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Rush 2210). But... I can't think of any game they've made that actually was designed to be updated regularly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User

Careful now, you don't want to anger rngesus

"Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    @sennahcherib

My mind is open, I have a realistic and grateful attitude towards this game and the dev's for their hard work. I understand how economics work and I'm not an entitled toddler like so many others.

This is my thread that I created to have some friendly personal discussion with our wonderful hardworking team of developers and if you want to whine about something you can do it elsewhere. Like every other thread on the forum for example. Otherwise your derailing our conversation so please go away.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User

My mind is open, I have a realistic and grateful attitude towards this game and the dev's for their hard work. I understand how economics work and I'm not an entitled toddler like so many others.

This is my thread that I created to have some friendly personal discussion with our wonderful hardworking team of developers and if you want to whine about something you can do it elsewhere. Like every other thread on the forum for example. Otherwise your derailing our conversation so please go away.

It does kind of suck that the thread was a positive one until the complaints started. Oh look , another "goodbye" post , oh wait a minute "Mr. Higher Quality of Life" had uninstalled the game and as usual with most folks on their way out he leaves a litany of complaints and just basic negative statements for what purpose? It sure as hell isn't to contribute to the thread.

I for one am glad to see the developers play the game on their free time and even more grateful for the fact they contribute to the forum.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    I for one am glad to see the developers play the game on their free time and even more grateful for the fact they contribute to the forum.​​

:)
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Wow, that dude hates STO so much he wrote a poem about it.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »
    Wow, that dude hates STO so much he wrote a poem about it.

He could have at least made it rhyme...​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Maybe he wanted his poem to suck as much as he says the game does.

If so, he was an overachiever.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    Actually, as I've mentioned in interviews, I play the various systems of the game just like any other player. I just purchased another ship by grinding dilithium and trading it for Zen on the exchange, and I've upgraded my Borg space and ground sets (gained from maxing the Rep and getting the dilithium, marks, and BNPs) to Mk 14 by making my own superior upgrade kits -- after leveling my R&D schools to 15. (17 science, but who's counting?)

While dev accounts can get goodies for free, it's our choice whether we use them and how we decide to engage and play the game. :D
  • Options
    Well its cool, just ignore and move along then. I've learned my lesson about arguing with unrational people it leads to flaming and a round of bans for the house. Lol

So by the way, we have of course noticed our new moderator, how exactly does one select moderators for a forum? I know they are volunteer but do we compensate them for their hard work? (Dealing with Internet people is a lot of work.)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    > @samt1996 said:
    > @sennahcherib
    >
    > My mind is open, I have a realistic and grateful attitude towards this game and the dev's for their hard work. I understand how economics work and I'm not an entitled toddler like so many others.
    >
    > This is my thread that I created to have some friendly personal discussion with our wonderful hardworking team of developers and if you want to whine about something you can do it elsewhere. Like every other thread on the forum for example. Otherwise your derailing our conversation so please go away.

I was around when STO was charging $24.95/mo
    I left because of all the glitches and failures...
    Since then, STO has gone free....
    everything has gotten worse, not better....
    Dead Dev, dead STO...

there is nothing to be grateful for when the problems
    of STO have simply gotten worse, not better...

STO has no real future...
    What do you expect for free now?
    bad updates, bad patches, glitches, more failures....

now that I have uninstalled STO...
    I have a higher quality of life....

Just shut it all down....
    Shhh sleep now. Only dreams.

No+tears+only+dreams_3c418a_3973805.gif
  • Options
    Lovely to hear from you again jheinig! I think I need to copy that comment and save it for future use during arguments with difficult people... ;)
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    @sennahcherib

Now if only you had a respectful attitude towards people who don't agree with you we might actually believe you.
  • Options
    Stop it kids otherwise I'll get out the sloth.
  • Options
    I really have tried I swear, but no matter how hard I try to be respectful and patient it never works. So I default to insults.

It's my personal flaw but I'm working on it.