test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do DEV'S play the game personally?

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Even beyond the exploration aspect, there's a lot lost to me through "knowing how the sausage is made." That is to say, it's difficult to enjoy a game when you know how it was all made, who wrote the lines, put that spawn there, etc. Even worse when you spot errors. Rather than running past that wonky triangle, or dismissing that typo, every error is glaring you in the face the whole time. At least for me.
    I can't count the number of times I've run into a small bug in the games I've worked on while playing and tried to open the internal editing tools to fix it while at home ><

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've run into bugs and wanted to write them up at home, either.

Every time we release a new version of our software (photobook/album/scrap book editing software for the biggest photo finisher in Europe. Allegedly by several tests, the best software on the market.*), we do a regression test. Our QA is a bit understaffed so it means that a lot of the testing is also done by us developers, in addition to QA team members. And every time we stumble upon plenty of errors. Some are critical,of course, and need to be fixed, but so many are deemed not critical enough for a fix. And sometimes it's not technically a bug, just a bad design. Either way - this stuff makes it into our backlog and might sit there forever... Because we just don't have the time to address them, and there are other features that demand our attention. And the next regression test we stumble upon it again... It can be frustrating. But even more satisfying when you finally see that a long-standing issue finally made it into a current sprint...

*) Since we're very self-critical, I like to say: "Best doesn't mean good". That is probably overly harsh, since people genuinely seem to have good experiences with the software. But we're using it ourselves often enough that we just know things could be done better... And oh god - if we have usability studies or customer reports, we realize how hard we sometimes make it for people. Of course... Sometimes people make it hard for themselves. Our target audience is very different from most games, and a lot in there are almost luddites and have little clue about the computer. You can expect a lot of STO players to know what the difference between a browser, the address bar and the Internet is, and many might be able to tell you their graphics card... You can't assume anything like that about our customers.
    Post edited by mustrumridcully0 on
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Barely made the third page before some hothead had to come ruin it all...

:neutral:
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Devs in this thread claiming to play the game they develop and not noticing the insanely large amount of UI bugs (at least!) and not to mention all the other bugs we mere mortals experience on the daily basis due to the lag or, more often, pure lack of QA.
    Day 1 of Winter Event I'm playing and see the Lollipop Lirpa turn into a Bat'leth on my swing animation. I report it in to QA and systems to get it checked.

Just because there are bugs doesn't mean we don't do our part to try and cull them.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Interesting... I'm guessing he didn't like PWE? Hmm.

Trendy is without a doubt the most amazing community moderator I've ever seen, she truly goes above and beyond and does an excellant job of being a bridge between players and dev's. So thank you Trendy!

I know i give you hell sometimes but it's only because i love you. XD
    Some days I just spend hours with my hand hovering over your name with the ban button. Sipping tea. For hours. Just because. :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Devs in this thread claiming to play the game they develop and not noticing the insanely large amount of UI bugs (at least!) and not to mention all the other bugs we mere mortals experience on the daily basis due to the lag or, more often, pure lack of QA.
    Day 1 of Winter Event I'm playing and see the Lollipop Lirpa turn into a Bat'leth on my swing animation. I report it in to QA and systems to get it checked.

Just because there are bugs doesn't mean we don't do our part to try and cull them.
    It boggles my mind that people don't understand the difference between "hasn't been fixed yet" and "won't get fixed".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

It boggles my mind that people don't understand the difference between "hasn't been fixed yet" and "won't get fixed".

Well I must say it would help a lot if there was some dev thread in the bug report forum listing all known AND confirmed bugs in the game.

For example I'm still having this Tour of Duty 10/10 bug in which the 10th mission of the Klingon campaign just never shows up (I've been trying for weeks now). I reported it but I don't know whether this is a confirmed bug and they are working on a fix or if the bug report somehow got lost in the large number of threads.
    szim wrote: »

Well I must say it would help a lot if there was some dev thread in the bug report forum listing all known AND confirmed bugs in the game.

For example I'm still having this Tour of Duty 10/10 bug in which the 10th mission of the Klingon campaign just never shows up (I've been trying for weeks now). I reported it but I don't know whether this is a confirmed bug and they are working on a fix or if the bug report somehow got lost in the large number of threads.
    thread? more like forum. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    glad to see some devs besides taco (love the work you did on ESD) wish DS9 would get the same treatment.​​
  • gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    @mackbolan01 They have already stated we are getting a ds9 revamp this season, probably will get it when 11.5 comes out.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    BTW anyone know what happened to Branflakes?

I think Branflakes moved on to work with the team doing Firefall, another F2P game. As Branflakes was well liked here, he was rather open about the the change in job. We all wished him luck.

CaptainSmirk... he just kinda... vanished and Trendy took over. Smirk had some witty lines, but he wasn't as awesome as Trendy.

Flakes works for RiotGames now.

And he is still playing the game.
    He 'friended" me ages ago and I still see his toon pop into the game every once in a while.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

Trendy is without a doubt the most amazing community moderator I've ever seen, she truly goes above and beyond and does an excellant job of being a bridge between players and dev's. So thank you Trendy!

Nah, he decided to move, and needed to find a job in the place he wanted to move to.

He actually moved to be closer to his family.
    The job opportunity came second.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Even beyond the exploration aspect, there's a lot lost to me through "knowing how the sausage is made." That is to say, it's difficult to enjoy a game when you know how it was all made, who wrote the lines, put that spawn there, etc. Even worse when you spot errors. Rather than running past that wonky triangle, or dismissing that typo, every error is glaring you in the face the whole time. At least for me.
    I can't count the number of times I've run into a small bug in the games I've worked on while playing and tried to open the internal editing tools to fix it while at home ><

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've run into bugs and wanted to write them up at home, either.

Every time we release a new version of our software (photobook/album/scrap book editing software for the biggest photo finisher in Europe. Allegedly by several tests, the best software on the market.*), we do a regression test. Our QA is a bit understaffed so it means that a lot of the testing is also done by us developers, in addition to QA team members. And every time we stumble upon plenty of errors. Some are critical,of course, and need to be fixed, but so many are deemed not critical enough for a fix. And sometimes it's not technically a bug, just a bad design. Either way - this stuff makes it into our backlog and might sit there forever... Because we just don't have the time to address them, and there are other features that demand our attention. And the next regression test we stumble upon it again... It can be frustrating. But even more satisfying when you finally see that a long-standing issue finally made it into a current sprint...

[/size]

I work for something similar in the U.S. Check your in-game email for a message my brutha.

T93uSC8.jpg
    Maybe one day you'll catch me Trendy... :D
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I may get banned for this, but I'm convinced the Epohh handler in QWW is really Trendy in disguise. :p
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
    By the way Trendy are you OK? You seem a bit agitated lately, which is perfectly understandable but you've always been so easy going. Which is one of your best qualities.

I work in Customer service too, people annoy me. Just in general.
    I may get banned for this, but I'm convinced the Epohh handler in QWW is really Trendy in disguise. :p
    Close it was actually Kestral. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User

Close. It´s zeroniusrex.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Close. It´s zeroniusrex.

Close, it's MEEE!!​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    cant speak for the devs but I guess you might see their work character from time to time when they are checking how things are running, if they do have a private account my guess is you would not know it was them as they would not want players bugging them while they are off the clock.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2015

I regularly hit F2 while playing other games . . .

Edit: Ooops, context: F2 is the button in our editor to go into Free Cam mode, and fly your camera around to see things from above/up close/different angles. I do this in other games all the time when I'm trying to get a better look at things.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Some days I just spend hours with my hand hovering over your name with the ban button. Sipping tea. For hours. Just because. :)

Oh my God !
    I just spit coffee out my nose ! LOL @samt1996 better behave !

That is a funny thought, Trendy sitting at her vast marble desk, sipping Blue Mountain Premium roast coffee, nibbling some fine Canadian Hickory/Maple bacon... weighing our futures on her scales of justice.

"What to do with this one.....hmmmm, what to do, what to do... shall the Banneth Hammer be wielded yet again today...sigh "

The friendly neighborhood web slinger, knows with great power comes great responsibility.

Dearest @crypticrock
    Do you think it's too much to ask, if you could find it within your big, gentle, kind heart, to pretty please send an Annorax to my in game mail by chance ? :smiley:

Such a glorious gift would be cherished, and as such, the ship would be named USS CRYPTICROCK IS MY GOD, In honour of your kind heart, virtuous, wise and understanding ways.

I would forever be in your debt good sir !

Seriously though- A big thanks to you guys, I love this game.
    This thread was a really nice read, I enjoyed what you fine folks had to say.
    I was really impressed that you keep an active eye out for bugs, and other anomalies you may witness while playing the game.
    Shows a high level of care, and dedication. Lord knows you deserve to hear the praise once in a while, forums tend to have a lot of complaints, and you may not realize how much we appreciate your works.
    So thank you for keeping this train on the rails.

PS: I'm loving Q's WW once again. Might just be the best event in game.

I sincerely hope your holidays are as magical as Q's Winter Wonderland and beyond. They are well deserved.
    :smile:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Close. It´s zeroniusrex.

And it was funny listening to Zeronius smack talk the epohh lady last night on her twitch stream.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

Close. It´s zeroniusrex.

And it was funny listen to Zeronius smack talk the epohh lady last night on her twitch stream.

The other day, I was trying to tell someone in Zone chat, that Eppoh Lady and Dance Instructor (female) was NOT Trendy.
    They literally got mad, and started swearing at me.
    :neutral:
    If only they could read this now.
    Sweet Validation.

Next time I'll just point them to this thread and avoid the verbal assault.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I saw Tacofangs once on ESD and I was pleasantly surprised by it. If only I had a time to say hello at least, but I was just about to exit the game and start preparing for all night long party. Nevertheless it is nice to know that the devs are also playing with us (even if we might not know it for most of the time).
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    Close. It´s zeroniusrex.
    And it was funny listening to Zeronius smack talk the epohh lady last night on her twitch stream.
    I require a link to this for research purposes. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Close. It´s zeroniusrex.
    I require a link to this for research purposes. :)

Not possible, as she doesn't save her twitch streams.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

Well darn I wanted to hear that... lol

I understand why she doesn't save them, people are evil. I can't tell you how many threads in the last week have taken Trendy's comment about working on getting more KDF and Romulon ships completely out of context. Some claim it means more science ships or carriers like tomorrow... lol I hate people so much.
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    If you see a dev in game please tell them four simple words;

"Ferenginar Economic Adventure Zone"

Market PvP? MARKET PVP! Must camp Jita and update my spreadsheet on commodity prices.
    *puts Excel aside before he gets the shakes again*
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    If you see a dev in game please tell them four simple words;

"Ferenginar Economic Adventure Zone"

Market PvP? MARKET PVP! Must camp Jita and update my spreadsheet on commodity prices.
    *puts Excel aside before he gets the shakes again*

We could bet on were people thrown off the top of The Tower of Commerce will land.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    I feel like in general the people on the ground at Cryptic do a great job. As someone that works within a corporate atmosphere I can understand the mountain of stupid in place that has to be navigated just to get one little thing looked at or fixed. As someone that's produced a game for public consumption I can also understand the frustration of dealing with impatient and ignorant people.

I do feel there's the occasional misstep but I chalk that up to being human and shear volume of TRIBBLE being dealt with. That being said I also never see 80% or more of the TRIBBLE most people say they see bug-wise. I've seen more bugs I didn't even know were bugs fixed than I've ever personally experienced.

It's frustrating when encountering them as a player because there's no free lunch (economics students you know what that means!) but it's also frustrating trying to track them down and getting people both internally and externally yelling at you about it.

If you aren't a producer or a lead (and sometimes even then) you don't get paid enough for what you do and have to put up with so I commend the people in the trenches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]