test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

-=Awesome! Exchange Price Cap Is Being Raised to 750M!=-

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
Tribble notes from today say that the price cap on the exchange is being raised to 1b ec from 500m.

This is going to make the most expensive ships, like the vonph and annorax, cheaper for people, since there will be actual price competition!
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg
Post edited by repetitiveepic on

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I doubt it will make them cheaper. They will be going up to 1b in price now. I just see higher prices.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    I doubt it will make them cheaper. They will be going up to 1b in price now. I just see higher prices.

EC is becoming more and more worthless. They really don't have much of a choice but to increase the cap. I'm a bit surprised there still is a cap to be honest.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    I tend to believe that they will just ask for the max. LOL perhaps someone will be gullible enough to buy them at 1B.
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    And those won't get sold...be taken down and eventually put for cheaper prices...and then someone will come in and place there's for cheaper and eventually the market will settle to what people truly believe things should be worth.

Will things be insane first week or two probably.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Just don't buy it for a billion...I highly doubt many if anyone will buy anything for a billion. There isn't a thing in this game worth a billion by itself in my opinion.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    watsterwatster Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Vonph is being sold at 650M via zone chat. Let's see how much the price will be after the higher cap is implemented.

The higher cap will mostly benefit sellers of these high value items. Instead of settling on a "lower" price, they can just list it the their price. The "lower" price due to the time "wasted" in just staying in chat zones trying to find a trade.
  • Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    good job, all no lifers will stay scamming the exchange more now, next step is master key for 50m each.
    And please no one come with any excuses like inflation, undercut prices? like buy everthing on some category and resell for 10x more expensive.
    and yes, i know some gangs and fleets can do it easily. (one of them are posting here)
    so many things to fix... and looks like only exploits are released.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    Also, bear in mind, in order to safely list a 1b item on the exchange, your must have 0 ec on your character and -nothing- else listed on the exchange.

If you have any ec on you, that amount of ec will be deducted from what you get for your exchange sale.

Listing something for 1b is is dangerous if you haven't taken precautions.

So? Deposit all of your extra EC into your account bank and wait for the ship to sell...if you don't think people are greedy and prices wont likely rise...just look at the dilithium exchange...sale was a week ago and it still hasn't budged...in fact it actually rose a couple of dilithium.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I'm not against the idea of raising the cap. But, this isn't going to stop people from using zone chat to sell their stuff. Even with the current cap of 500 mil in the exchange people often times spam zone chat with stuff for less than 200 mil or even less than 100 mil. I don't expect much to change and find the change pointless.

Of course the first stuff to go in the exchange for more than 500 mill will be priced at the 1 bill cap or close to it and prices will slowly go down as other players undercut each other by 1 ec. It's also possible players won't sell those pricey lock box ships in the exchange anyway because they don't want to be undercut and keep the prices high.

Meh. Whatever.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    This is such a bad idea tbh! and NO im not thinking oh wow now i wont be able to by stuff etc etc...

But i just think some prices on exchange are stupid... its actually cheaper to buy stuff with Zen than EC now which is not the way it should be imho.​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    watsterwatster Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    And undercutting? Vonph will just be bought and sold higher by the billionaires.

The higher cap doesn't really affect items sold less than 500M. Still I'll bet the higher cap will make the higher.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I saw that the other day for the Command Specialization Spec. Someone was bound and determined to get 750k each. There were a few in the 400's. They disappeared quickly and EVERY one was listed for exactly 750k. Well except for the inevitable one knucklehead posting of 15 million.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Cool news. Also, I think @pwlaughingtrendy asked people to stop doing the silly characters in thread titles just to get attention. Probably not a big deal, but you seem to do it with most of your threads lately:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/profile/discussions/125285/repetitiveepic

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    for newbies there are 9 zeros in 1b and everything your earn above your ec cap goes to quarks bajoran war orphans fund
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Raise your hand if you understand economics!

Nobody eh? Lol
  • Options
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Raise your hand if you understand economics!

Nobody eh? Lol

Shush you! I almost had to take summer school and graduate high school late because I was failing economics. My teacher felt sorry for me and gave me a D-. It still counted as a passing grade.

Druk has some good points. This will allow people to sell stuff while offline and free up their game time to do other things instead of sitting there trying to sell their stuff.

I just remembered my days of Spamadan in GW1. There was no exchange system of any kind and the only way to sell stuff was through direct player trading. You had to sit there spamming it in chat for hours, or days, on end, taking up all your time you could have spent actually playing the game. :/
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    beameddown wrote: »
    This will allow people to sell stuff while offline and free up their game time to do other things instead of sitting there trying to sell their stuff.
    and repeatitiveepic, let me just answer now cause your hawking over all of this right now, the fact is that a MMO game's economy is not a mirror of how economies work in reality

-you don't have exploits that magically create wealth out of thin air in reality

Quantitative Easing and Wall Street would beg to differ.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    farmallm wrote: »

I agree. What is really going on here is inflation. The Admiralty system has had the same effect as printing money does on the value of real currency. The price increase is not necessarily triggered by raising the price cap on the Exchange...it's a symptom of pumping new EC into the system at a high rate compared to the past. repetitiveepic pointed out that inflation doesn't occur without additional "money" supply...well, there's your source.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    This will allow people to sell stuff while offline and free up their game time to do other things instead of sitting there trying to sell their stuff.
    and repeatitiveepic, let me just answer now cause your hawking over all of this right now, the fact is that a MMO game's economy is not a mirror of how economies work in reality

-you don't have exploits that magically create wealth out of thin air in reality

Quantitative Easing and Wall Street would beg to differ.

Yep. Just ask Martha Stewart.
  • Options
    If the 1b price cap will cause ships to cost 1b ec, why doesn't the 500m cap cause ships to cost 500m?

There are almost no items in the game, literally only 5 items (bug ship, sheshar, annorax, vonph, bulwark) out of all the thousands of items in the game, for which people are willing to pay more than 500m ec.

The answer is of course because the exchange cap isn't what matters in the prices of items.

The 500m cap has never been an impediment to items being bought for more than 500m.

Facts about supply and demand are what cause market prices to be what they are.

The improved exchange cap will change facts about supply and demand, but the changes are changes that put downward pressure on prices, not upward prices.

To wit,

1) The supply of ships for sale at any given point during the day will be higher. Currently, the only ships available to buy are the ones held by people who are currently online, and who are either advertising them for sale or listening for WTB ads in the same zone or channel as you. After this change, these ships will be placed on the exchange, where they will remain whether the seller is online or offline, and will be visible to anyone anywhere in the game with access to an exchange console.

2) Price competition, undercutting. Largely because of the facts above, not being able to list certain ships on the exchange leads to less price competition. Two people both have to be on, and also in the same zone or channel to be able to undercut one another. This won't be the case after the limit is improved.

Also, this allows for granular price competition. Undercutting by 500k, or 1m, or 5m.

Because STO only has WTS ads on its exchange, the mechanism by which the market reaches a price is undercutting. Where previously, this was very inefficient, it will now become just as efficient for the 'super ships' as it is for any other item.

Opposing improving the exchange cap because you want prices to be lower is inane, it is folly, it is self-defeating, and it is perverse.

You logic seems sound.

You're right. The problem is without any of a certain item in the exchange, people selling ships for over 500 mil are only taking a guess as to how much they should sell it for. With the cap increase they can sell them on the exchange and the prices will stabilize eventually, and players wanting to buy the ships will have a better idea on how much it's "worth" and not have to worry if there was another seller in another map that had it for cheaper. It should save people a lot of time buying/selling certain items so they have more time to actually play the game.