test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic - Thankyou for the Quantum Phase torpedo!

Comments

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    I'm still running the old school Part Gens build with GW3 and TBR2, which doesn't work as well since they nerfed.

Lol, year and a half ago max (and that is if you threw dil at R&D to get to 15 the first day) build is now "old school".

People didn't even figure out the build worked great until around September of last year.

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I'm still running the old school Part Gens build with GW3 and TBR2, which doesn't work as well since they nerfed.

Lol, year and a half ago max (and that is if you threw dil at R&D to get to 15 the first day) build is now "old school".

Well, Lucho, I could be mistaken in calling it that. As I admitted, I'm far from the most knowledgeable STO player. I am an 800 day veteran, but that doesn't translate to an extensive knowledge of the game, unfortunately. I've been around since before STO was P2W, but I have taken several long breaks to play SWTOR, Eve, and other space games.

But I was calling it "Old School" because so much has changed since then. Let's face it, the STO we played and loved 3 years ago is completely gone.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Got the torp for my Delta Retread. I have had a really good time with it. It works as advertised on the tin. Once again, Grave Well followed by TS3 is my friend.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    nlearthlychief86nlearthlychief86 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    have fun with this broken piece of TRIBBLE! it turns all my ISA runs into a laggfest.. gdm torp i hate it!!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    No comment.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    The problem wasn't the damage I think but the lag caused by the number of AOE effects that needed to be computed every time a spread was fired-off. So their solution was to change things to a single AOE rather than multiple AOEs on spread. It's not a perfect solution but I understand the reasoning behind it.
    I'd be happier to loose the AOE on all TSs, if that's the problem; I don't want TS to be a smaller HY, with a just few extra torps heading off at side targets.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Well, here is the torpedo at the max flow caps a ship can obtain and with TS3. Lets see how it changes after they adjust the way it works.

bzc6o.jpg

Yes, that's 15,602 shield drain on one target.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Actually, more like 19502.5. (Five targets, remember?)

Edit: I just realized my previous calculations were off by a moderate margin... I claimed that 3200 drain would have a maximum of 21k per ship...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Well, here is the torpedo at the max flow caps a ship can obtain and with TS3. Lets see how it changes after they adjust the way it works.

bzc6o.jpg

Yes, that's 15,602 shield drain on one target.

Simply awesome lol Yes i have similar numbers on my sci, totally op...
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I love this torpedo.

Got a lucky crit while upgrading and turned it into an Epic mk 14 AC/DM CrtD.

Using spread 3 this thing is a monster of amusing destruction. So thankyou cryptic, I'm having the most fun ive had in the game for a long time just because of this one weapon.

OP Are you still THANKFUL after the oncoming NERF? dino1-1.gifdino1-14.gifdino1-9.gif​​
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Funny how the OP is thanking Cryptic for something and says he's having fun, and Cryptic's response is to nerf it hard.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Funny how the OP is thanking Cryptic for something and says he's having fun, and Cryptic's response is to nerf it hard.
    Nerf it hard? You already got the stats and effects after the change? Can you post them, or are you under NDA?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Nerf it hard? You already got the stats and effects after the change? Can you post them, or are you under NDA?

Check your attitude. The dev posted the changes on page 2 in this thread.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Check your attitude. The dev posted the changes on page 2 in this thread.
    I am well aware of what the developer posted, but I repeat it for you just to make sure we're on the same page:
    Just a quick heads-up here, we're making some changes to the functionality of Quantum Phase Torpedo and how it interacts with Torpedo: Spread.

As many of you are aware, a Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread currently triggers a shield drain AoE for each torpedo which hits a target. We've changed how the Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread works to only trigger off your main target for when you fired the spread. Once the change goes to Holodeck, you'll see Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread trigger one AoE, centered around the main target. This AoE will have a 4km radius and significantly improved damage compared to the standard shield drain AoE.

We're making a similar change to Kemocite-Laced Weaponry, where Torpedo: Spread will only trigger one Kemocite Explosion for each torpedo which hits the main target. The spread-based Kemocite Explosions will also deal increased damage compared to the Kemocite Explosion from a standard torpedo.

These changes are partly for balance purposes (in a target-rich environment these abilities were rather out-of-hand), and partly for performance purposes.

The functionality of these abilities with other Torpedo abilities is unchanged.
    What is "significantly improved damage"? Is he really talking about damage-damage, or is he talking about the shield drain? Or both?

The net change is still not possible to predict.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    I love this torpedo.

Got a lucky crit while upgrading and turned it into an Epic mk 14 AC/DM CrtD.

Using spread 3 this thing is a monster of amusing destruction. So thankyou cryptic, I'm having the most fun ive had in the game for a long time just because of this one weapon.

OP Are you still THANKFUL after the oncoming NERF? dino1-1.gifdino1-14.gifdino1-9.gif​​

until we see the complete changes, it might not be a nerf. it might be a buff. or a Berf. Nobody knows yet. As I said, I don't really care about secondary target AoE as long as each individual torpedo continues to directly drain shields as they currently do regardless of target.
  • Options
    As I said, I don't really care about secondary target AoE as long as each individual torpedo continues to directly drain shields as they currently do regardless of target.

Frankly, the AoE aspect is the most fun part of them, but I extremely doubt they'll keep the drain as high as it is when there are 5 targets in the AoE. I smell nerf.

• Options
    As I said, I don't really care about secondary target AoE as long as each individual torpedo continues to directly drain shields as they currently do regardless of target.

Frankly, the AoE aspect is the most fun part of them, but I extremely doubt they'll keep the drain as high as it is when there are 5 targets in the AoE. I smell nerf.

As do I.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

As do I.

how can you smell anything? protoss don't have noses!

(that is a protoss in your avatar, right? it looks like one, but it's a little hard to tell due to the size)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This seems to be a common trend with cryptic.

People are playing in Tau Dewa lets nerf it and punish the players for playing

People are enjoying pets lets nerf em

People are enjoying the the new torp. nere it

NERF ALL THE THINGS TILL THEY BLEED WHA HA HA HA HAR
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Until this adjustment comes along, I will continue to enjoy my new drug of choice... Crystal Death...
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Here, look at how big the shield drain gets when you're extremely close to the max base flow caps you can reach on a ship. Imagine if all the targets of TS3 are in a gravity well.

fpbcdx.jpg

Actually, I did the calc. If it's 3,862.7 x 5 x 4 = 77,240 shield drain to all targets withing 2 km. The exposed target shield drain from the command spec looks like garbage next to those kind of numbers.

Needs further testing IMO, as the effect might only trigger a single drain despite the # of torpedoes flung, but not sure!
    Regarding the Command ability - I thin kthe interesting part there is more the -100 Kinetic Resistance.

Says 100%. With Cryptic math, that might be 50%.

As for this kind of tool tip, I would imagine it is defined as a -100 kinetic DRR, and not an actual -100%!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    echmechm Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    From STOCrypticRock on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3sgozz/changes_coming_to_the_quantum_phase_torpedo/cwxxyfp
    I'm basing my math off of 6 triggers currently for all versions. So if you have one or two targets within the AoE radius, your shield damage value will be comparable, if not better. If you had max number of targets, you're not going to see everyone's shields just vanish any longer from firing a single torpedo spread.

Now, while the potential cap is not as high, it is still quite potent. My test character, who only had the set pieces and the generic white items ships start with equipped, was still hitting approx. 8k shield damage using torpedo spread. Without any investment into the flow capacitors skill or flowcap consoles. That hits up to 5 targets within a 4km radius of the primary target.

And yes, flowcaps does improve this. So your mileage may very well be better than mine.

My opinion:
    When used with TS3, the new version will only be better against solo targets for per ship shield drain. For 2+ targets it will do less per ship shield drain, but could do more total drain (as the AOE range is being increased). Right now, this torpedo is even better at helping take down fully shielded targets than the neutronic torp, but, obviously, not as useful for unshielded targets. What I'm hoping for is that after its behaviour has been changed that the Quantum phase torpedo will still be better for heavily shielded targets than the neutronic, but I'm not sure that it will be. For neutronic, the radiation AOE can be boosted by attack pattern alpha, Tactical Fleet and the like and you can have up to 15 triggers of the radiation AOE with TS3, while shield drains aren't boosted by any damage boosting abilities.

The more variety in build choices in the game the more fun it is to me. Neutronic will always be better for unshielded targets, but a torpedo that is better for shielded targets, if you have high flow caps, makes for interesting build choices.

I would suggest that instead of giving the torpedo a fixed drain for all versions of tactical spread, have it scale with the tactical spread level:
    6 trigger equivalent for TS1,
    7 trigger equivalent for TS2, and
    8 trigger equivalent for TS3

or just an 8 trigger equivalent for all of them. In this scenario it would still perform as well as it does now if there are two overlapping targets for TS3.

• Options
    dalolorn wrote: »

As do I.

how can you smell anything? protoss don't have noses!

(that is a protoss in your avatar, right? it looks like one, but it's a little hard to tell due to the size)​​

We smell through our skin. (No, really - the SC wiki's article on Protoss says so.)

And how dare you not recognize the Hierarch?

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i am far more familiar with artanis' appearance from brood war than his SC2 appearance​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    My question is if this increase to 4km just means we need to forget the Torpedo Spread and just go High Yield since the drain will be higher and the aoe will remain the same. If the aoe shield drain is only gonna base off the main target what's the point of the spread then?
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    Personally, I prefer the WoL one over the LotV one. Has a much more regal appearance as opposed to the over-the-top ceremonial appearance of his later incarnation. (The Brood War one is another story altogether and shouldn't be compared to the heavily armored SC2 versions. :tongue:)

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just a quick heads-up here, we're making some changes to the functionality of Quantum Phase Torpedo and how it interacts with Torpedo: Spread.

As many of you are aware, a Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread currently triggers a shield drain AoE for each torpedo which hits a target. We've changed how the Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread works to only trigger off your main target for when you fired the spread. Once the change goes to Holodeck, you'll see Quantum Phase Torpedo Spread trigger one AoE, centered around the main target. This AoE will have a 4km radius and significantly improved damage compared to the standard shield drain AoE.

We're making a similar change to Kemocite-Laced Weaponry, where Torpedo: Spread will only trigger one Kemocite Explosion for each torpedo which hits the main target. The spread-based Kemocite Explosions will also deal increased damage compared to the Kemocite Explosion from a standard torpedo.

These changes are partly for balance purposes (in a target-rich environment these abilities were rather out-of-hand), and partly for performance purposes.

The functionality of these abilities with other Torpedo abilities is unchanged.

So in other words, torpedo spread becomes virtually useless, unless enemies are compacted together am I right?

How about 1 aoe per target, and not 1 aoe in general?

Because, who wants to fire a spead of quantum phase torpedoes, only for the aoe effect to be as narrow as a 2 degree firing arc @ 2km?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Hmm, I haven't tried to follow all the math, (Poli Sci major, what can I say?), but on an anecdotal level the effectiveness of the torp seems be very context sensitive.

For me, (and of course YMMV), the thing tears up the Terrans in Mirror Invasion, just rips them to shreds. OTOH, the Jem Hadar in the Alhena daily and and the Tholians I tried it on in CCA seem to be far less impressed
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    I Got 'Dat BOOM BOOM BOOM!

Yep. I do love torpedoes. Thank you!​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    The torpedo is scary in a drain boat. The Neutronic would be more powerful IF the power drain from a torpedo spread stuck around when it stacks, but it doesn't (only one proc sticks). Frankly, I'm going to write up a bug report because the way it works on a torp spread doesn't really make sense. On the other hand, the shield drain on this torp does stack. My drain boat actually pulls in 12K+ of shield drain from TS3.

Thanks for that idea. Now I'm totally switching it with the Neutronic on my Pathfinder drain boat.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.