test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You know you're getting old when........................

Comments

• Options
    crabbycabbycrabbycabby Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    You remember using hundreds of Punch Cards for your final exam in your high school computer class.
    And it ends up making a two foot tall print-out (on an old rotating-head printer) of Snoopy dancing with his bowl on his head.
    (all made out of X's, 0's and assorted letters of the alphabet)

Also, you remember learning how to program on paper, in COBOL and FORTRAN.
    B)

Ouch, I'm Looking at that and WISHING I had such advanced hardware for my high school...

Had to do ours on paper and have the teacher take our tests to the local comm. college to run them thru a 'real' computer.

You remember programming in binary. Or when you have to explain what base and power are to your boss.

PS: My Dad had the honor to be put in charge of the worlds first tape drive computer in civilian (not government) hands. The very same computer that put man on the moon. When I was in high school. Now I am truly feeling my age.​​
    Proudly F2P
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    You remember cartoons like Darkwing Duck while looking at some of the stuff today and wonder "What the hell happened".

YES. So much this. Animation these days is most often awful. Thanks, anime and Ren and Stimpy, for ruining it all.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    You remember cartoons like Darkwing Duck while looking at some of the stuff today and wonder "What the hell happened".
    YES. So much this. Animation these days is most often awful. Thanks, anime and Ren and Stimpy, for ruining it all.
    Ugh.. ren and stimpy....

actually a lot of anime has very good art.... not all of it though.

One of my faves as a kid was Thundarr.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    You know you're getting old when you can remember when there was a distinct difference between Anime and Cartoon and people actually knew how to tell them apart...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    You know you're getting old when you can remember when there was a distinct difference between Anime and Cartoon and people actually knew how to tell them apart...

Wouldn't that be... right now?
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    rooster707 wrote: »
    The difference never existed outside people's imaginations.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    rooster707 wrote: »
    The difference never existed outside people's imaginations.

Well... I'd say that anime is a type of cartoon, with its own art style.

...I've never seen any anime, ever, though, so I don't really know much about it.
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    When you realize that communication between our new generation means texting to each other while sitting next to each other on the couch
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    chestertrekchestertrek Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Middle aged men call you "young man". This may just be a British thing. When I was in my late teens/early 20s, I got called it a lot. (I was). It tailed off from about 24-31. Now im approaching my mid 30s, it's back again, but accompanied by a sort of ironic or sarcastic tone.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Ugh.. ren and stimpy....

Mine was the X-Men. Not any of the later cartoon remakes, but the original X-Men. My first "sci-fi" love.

You also know you're old when you realize that old cartoons like the old X-Men and even Tiny Toons were capable of taking risks that today would offend someone's exceedingly delicate sensibilities. (Yet at the same time we get extreme things like Game of Thrones, which as far as I can tell from the outside is basically medieval fantasy ultraviolence. Go figure.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    Ugh.. ren and stimpy....

Mine was the X-Men. Not any of the later cartoon remakes, but the original X-Men. My first "sci-fi" love.

You also know you're old when you realize that old cartoons like the old X-Men and even Tiny Toons were capable of taking risks that today would offend someone's exceedingly delicate sensibilities. (Yet at the same time we get extreme things like Game of Thrones, which as far as I can tell from the outside is basically medieval fantasy ultraviolence. Go figure.)
    Pfftt..... The first few seasons of SESAME STREET were banned from rebroadcast because they showed children doing "unsafe" things.... namely that they had a playground with decorative rocks that the kids would climb up on top of... that's it.... the kids would stand on rocks, and that's "unsafe".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    You remember using hundreds of Punch Cards for your final exam in your high school computer class.
    And it ends up making a two foot tall print-out (on an old rotating-head printer) of Snoopy dancing with his bowl on his head.

B)

Ouch, I'm Looking at that and WISHING I had such advanced hardware for my high school...

Had to do ours on paper and have the teacher take our tests to the local comm. college to run them thru a 'real' computer.

You remember programming in binary. Or when you have to explain what base and power are to your boss.

PS: My Dad had the honor to be put in charge of the worlds first tape drive computer in civilian (not government) hands. The very same computer that put man on the moon. When I was in high school. Now I am truly feeling my age.​​

My computer science teacher helped build the State University of NY at Albany's first computer.
    We had a direct line by phone to it, so we got almost real time responses to our smaller projects.
    Our bigger projects had to be entered by card reader to the campus over the phone, then we got out results back in a day or two.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    When you say you had a direct phone line was that accomplished by a modem or some other way? Was it ARPANET? (Actually, I just read that ARPANET used 56k connections. Why the heck did that take so long for modems of that speed to go public? I mean, my first Internet connection was 14400k.)

Speaking of old-ish computer things...had the experience of Googling for some information on Klingonaase (the John M. Ford/FASA Klingon language from before TNG/DS9 screwed up the Klingons), and stumbling onto what I figured from the formatting was a USENET post from the 90's. Then I noticed the post date was from 1984, and it was from ARPANET. Almost surreal and cool for me to find an Internet post from so far back, still publicly available. :)

• Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User

B)

We didn't have computer classes or computers for that matter when I was in high school.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    When you say you had a direct phone line was that accomplished by a modem or some other way? Was it ARPANET? (Actually, I just read that ARPANET used 56k connections. Why the heck did that take so long for modems of that speed to go public? I mean, my first Internet connection was 14400k.)

Speaking of old-ish computer things...had the experience of Googling for some information on Klingonaase (the John M. Ford/FASA Klingon language from before TNG/DS9 screwed up the Klingons), and stumbling onto what I figured from the formatting was a USENET post from the 90's. Then I noticed the post date was from 1984, and it was from ARPANET. Almost surreal and cool for me to find an Internet post from so far back, still publicly available. :)

Yeah it was a desk-sized modem, we had to place the handset of the phone into a rubberized cradle and you could hear the assorted tones as the two machines talked to each other.

It was the first time I heard this...
    https://youtu.be/gsNaR6FRuO0
    But the tones continued for the entire session, not going to static once the connection was established.
    I don't remember if we ever knew what the speed was.

I went to an all boys military high school (CBA) which was just across town from the SUNY Campus.
    That and the fact that my Computer Teacher was also a SUNY Prof., was why we had access to a direct line.
    BTW: this was all back in 1976-77.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Wow, having to listen to that the whole time would be annoying! But hearing that really takes me back. :) Oh, the nostalgia...

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    My first job, in the Air Force, was programming in COBOL (maintaining the SIOP, the Single Integrated Operations Plan - basically NATO's blueprint for WW3). My favorite moment was still when I was automating a report; the main process might have to iterate as few as 15 times, or as many as 2000, so I made it an 88-level variable, END-OF-FILE style, called THE-COWS-COME-HOME (which would read as TRUE when EOF was reached). I therefore had the honor of committing into SAC's computers a program with the line:

PERFORM B001-PROCESS UNTIL THE-COWS-COME-HOME.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    When you bend over and try and pick up some change on the floor........and almost tip over.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
    lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    You know you are old when your bald spot turns into a hair spot.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    You know you're old when the only TRUE Batman is Adam West.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    You know you are old when your bald spot turns into a hair spot.
    And hair starts growing in places it never was before...
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    You know you're getting old when you start threads entitled "You know you're getting old when..." :p
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    You know you are old when:

You know what Pogs are.
    You remember when there were only 151 pokemon.
    Sim games were about cities, farms, ants, and towers, not about trapping people in a swimming pool and watching them drown.
    You know what a floppy is and have to explain to kids why the "Save" icon is the way it is.
    You can use the phrase "A decade ago" and remember that long ago.
    You actually played outside.
    And you played with the neighborhood kids. (And wandered around the island without fear because everyone knew who you were because there were exactly 7 white kids on the island and you were the only white boy on that stretch of it. No one else? Just me?)
    Peanuts were still allowed in schools.
    You know what the Cold War was.
    You can remember when games had sizes measured in Megabytes, not Gigabytes.
    You can remember some games being measured in Bytes.
    You can remember the sweet sweet sounds of dial up internet.

I'm going to stop now because I'm only 28 and this is making me feel really ancient even though some of you guys posting are really showing your age.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    You know you're getting old when your kids have gray hair.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

What about Lewis Wilson or Robert Lowery?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    When you listened to plays on the radio. Dramas, thrillers, comedies, and detective tales were found on the AM dial, (google AM Radio, kiddies!) It was the last outpost of vaudeville in the US.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You remember when McDonalds ONLY HAD Burger's, Fries and Milk Shakes.
    You remember the A-Frame, A&W Rootbeer restaurants, where the waitress' came to your car to serve you and clipped the tray over your half-open window.
    You remember "Carl's Burgers" before Mickey Dee's bought them out.
    You remember going to "Jack-in-the-Box" for a snack at 4 in the morning, after an all-nighter bar-hopping.
    You remember when it didn't cost your entire paycheck to go "bar-hopping."
    You remember when you use to be able to go all night, "bar-hopping."
    B)
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    You remember when Number Muncher was the greatest game ever
    When there was a such thing as Crystal Pepsi and New Coke
    When the best place to get sports scores were at the 10pm newscast
    When movie soundtracks were good
    When you can tell who had the new video game from the mass amount of bikes in the yard
    When you remember hating your parents' tv shows from the 60s and 70s while making your kids watch Seinfeld and Friends
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

What about Lewis Wilson or Robert Lowery?​​

True. Actually, what makes Adam West "my" Batman is simply because "his" Batmobile is such a classic. When I was a kid I had just about every toy version of it. Besides, as much as I like Anne Hathaway, she doesn't hold a candle to Julie Newmar.

If we wanna go Superman, who can forget George Reeves. He may have been impervious to bullets, but Superman always had to duck when the baddies threw the gun at him.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    When you will forever hate Sandals Resorts for RUINING the song "Time of My Life."

And you ENJOY getting Rick Rolled.