test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You know you're getting old when........................

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Ten Forward
Here is a fun little game, finish the thought and see what others have to say. lol

I will start.

You know your getting old when, your parents tell you they are retiring from work.
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    You're contemplating buying a shotglass for your oldest daughter because she'll actually be old enough to legally use it for it's intended alcoholic contents...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    The music you listened to growing up is now considered "Oldies" or "Classic Rock."
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    Kids point to you on the street and call you old. lol
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    "Geezer" becomes an endearing term...

You shave daily no longer to impress the girls, but to hide the gray hairs.
    >:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,181 Community Moderator
    You remember cartoons like Darkwing Duck while looking at some of the stuff today and wonder "What the hell happened".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's 'you're' not 'your'.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    When you ask what is Netflix.

Or when your kids ask what is a CD.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    When your supervisor is 10 years younger than you, but you do the job better.

When someone 15 years younger than you doesn't know what DOS is

When you meet someone who has never played " Oregon Trail" on a monochromatic screen.

When you talk about fondly about " the high school years"

When your 20 year high school reunion is only 2 years away

When you start telling stories to your parents about what you used to do at the house when they left for the weekend. Because they can't ground you anymore.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    When they look surprised when you say TV's used to be boxes, not just be sold in one.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    When you remember MTV used to have music.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,181 Community Moderator
    When no one was obsessed with "Reality TV" and game shows were actually game shows that required more than just supidity. Anyone remember Legends of the Hidden Temple?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    When gaming on the NES is considered classic.

You remember that Bumblebee could talk and he turned into a Volkswagon Beetle.

You only had three--maybe four--TV channels; and if The President was on, you're night in was shot.

(Edit: I thought of a few more...)

You hear Fallout Boy's "Uma Thurman" and have to correct everyone around you that it's the TV Theme to The Munsters.

If someone asks you about a movie, you have to get them to clarify if it's the original or the remake.
    (EX: Young Person: "Have you see 'The Day the Earth Stood Still?'"
    Me: "Micheal Rennie or Keanue Reeves?")

In typing, the period at the end of a sentence was followed by two spaces before the next sentence began.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

• Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    ...When your high school classmates introduce you to their children.

...When you can remember when movies came on VHS tapes and they might have two or three episodes of a TV show on them, instead of discs with entire seasons...

...When you catch yourself saying "Wait a minute, they just stole the idea from this show from another show from back when I was a kid, except they made it dumber!" (or anything similar)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    When no one was obsessed with "Reality TV" and game shows were actually game shows that required more than just supidity. Anyone remember Legends of the Hidden Temple?

"Olmec, tell us about it!" Along those lines, though, I have a better question... "Do-do-do-do you have it?" (Hint: the final part of each episode was The Crag, even though it went through a few name-changes like the 'Megacrag' and the 'Super-Aggro-Crag'...)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    ... someone asks you how old you are and you have to do the math to figure it out.

... you remember how fun the rope swing is, but you don't want to spend a week healing from playing on it.

... your friends meet for a social occasion and begin to discuss their medical issues.

... you once put a 1000 Watt power booster on your car stereo, but you find it annoying when a kid pulls up next to you in traffic with his base rattling the windows.

... you encourage your young acquaintances to do things you hated when you were young, but recall fondly now. (Military service is one such example, and higher education is another.)

... you know how to do it, have done it before, and you are very good at it, but you don't do it because it will leave you tired and sore.

... you used to enjoy exploring the great outdoors, but pollen, insects, and weather have convinced you to watch nature documentaries instead.

... you begin to research the various methods used to delay the onset of Alzheimer's.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ...When a birthday is cause for celebrating not how many presents you recieved, but the fact that you're not dead yet.

....When a younger relative asks if they can use you as a reference for their history report.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options

"Olmec, tell us about it!" Along those lines, though, I have a better question... "Do-do-do-do you have it?" (Hint: the final part of each episode was The Crag, even though it went through a few name-changes like the 'Megacrag' and the 'Super-Aggro-Crag'...)

Aw yea... Guts.
  • Options

Aw yea... Guts.

Yep.

You know you're getting old when you can remember when 'competition' shows were things like "Guts"/"Global Guts" and "American Gladiators" instead of "Fear Factor" and the like...
  • Options
    You remember cartoons like Darkwing Duck while looking at some of the stuff today and wonder "What the hell happened".

I'm still wondering what happened to Looney Toons... ???
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    lindaleff wrote: »
    When you ask what is Netflix.

Or when your kids ask what is a CD.

You mention a 45 or LP and these young whipper-snappers think you're talking about guns!
    B)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    When your 40th High School Reunion is only two years away.
    You remember fondly, getting out of bed in the morning and NOT aching.
    You look forward to actually "waking up in the morning"!
    You remember fondly, peeing without dribbling.
    When "doin' it", didn't interfere with a good nights sleep.
    :#
  • Options
    Yep.

You know you're getting old when you can remember when 'competition' shows were things like "Guts"/"Global Guts" and "American Gladiators" instead of "Fear Factor" and the like...

Yup. And then there was Wild and Crazy Kids. The only real reward besides bragging rights was fun. And boy did they have fun.
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what happened to Looney Toons... ???

"Too violent" or something like that because of the slapstick... and then they make some of the things we have today, which may be more conflict driven.
  • Options
    You know you're getting old when 'sound system' and 'horsepower' are replaced in importance by 'comfortable seats' and 'good gas mileage' when you're shopping for a vehicle.
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    You mention a 45 or LP and these young whipper-snappers think you're talking about guns!
    B)

Someone younger than you calls a 45 a "CD with a large hole in the middle."

Kkerp5u.jpg?1

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    You know you're getting old when it's been a long time since you were born, and you're still alive. :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not...
    I'm jest fakin' it.
    >:)
  • Options
    ilolylyilolyly Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Yep NICE very NICE , but taking my money and deliver a TRIBBLE experience and not refund , that N I C E , but you know WHY look how they work and they get so much 2014 CNV 542,4 million net income
  • Options
    Sorry artan42 I blame old school public learning. HAHA

You know your old, when you still use 8 track tape to listen to your music.
  • Options
    You know you're getting old when more and more of your favorite musicians are discribed as "The late, great" whomever... (The late, great, Johnny Horton; the late, great, Jimi Hendrix; the late, great, Elvis Presley; etc...)
  • Options
    You know you're getting old when you remember when Michael Jackson was alive and black.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

• Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    When you get addressed as Mam. (Granted that started happening when I was in my late 20s, I have that kind of personality I guess XD)
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.