test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things out of place.

Comments

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    It still bugs me that Thalaron Pulse is a thing, and actually all the other nasty radiation based weaponry that was once highly illegal but is now apparently perfectly acceptable to use.​​
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Not really something that is that much out of place in most of the game, but just something missing in the Foundry. Friendly AND enemy NPC groups of each faction.

Take Jem'Hadar. They exist solely as enemy in the Foundry, but in Midnight we have friendly NPC's.

It seriously limits options in the Foundry, which feels out of place in the general game.​​

You can costume Feds as Jem'Hadar at least, although I agree. I wish we had melee NPCs.
  • therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    In Pirates of the Burning Sea, you start out as "Captain", and you hit endgame as "Captain" -- you just have a number tagged on to that to denote your level. And it worked. No ensigns, no admirals, just captains.

One pet peeve of mine is the saluting. Starfleet doesn't salute. And they don't even do it right to begin with. Klingons salute, Romulans salute, the Terran Empire salutes... Starfleet nods.
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    -there is no Starfleet feeling playing fed side, except the "clever" option in the Breen daylie mission. (I totally stopped playing blue side now, it just makes no sense)

-getting told to fix TRIBBLE for Romulans/Talaxians/Whateverians. I'm the captain of a Klingon/Romulan warship, not your TRIBBLE plumber ! There are doffs for such jobs !

-frigate pets. Seriously, they don't fit into those carriers !
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Everything is out of place, but I've learned to accept it. A lot of them are laughable too, such as non-faction ships and too many admirals. Frequent popcorn worthy complaints that, at times, are more entertaining than the actual game itself.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy STO until someone out there creates a Star Trek game that combines Elite Force and Bridge Commander, and supports modding and online play.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    People flying alien ships, like the Undine & Tholian & Krenim Weapon ships. And the reason why I point this out, is not to force my version of 'canon' to anyone, but rather, point out the fallacy of such double-standard logic STO currently has - If you want to go all weird about ships, then don't restrict our character-customization so much.

If I understand your point, my KDF toon should be able to pilot a Scimitar, am I right?
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    ataloss wrote: »
    People flying alien ships, like the Undine & Tholian & Krenim Weapon ships. And the reason why I point this out, is not to force my version of 'canon' to anyone, but rather, point out the fallacy of such double-standard logic STO currently has - If you want to go all weird about ships, then don't restrict our character-customization so much.

If I understand your point, my KDF toon should be able to pilot a Scimitar, am I right?

I think their point is about ground customization but it's a fair point that maybe there should be a lockbox that grants Roms "any T5 allied C-Store ship" and grants Feds/Klingons Rom C-Store ships, at least access to the fleet versions if not the consoles. And maybe go ahead and toss a few more SROs on the Lobi store, sure.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    here is my list:

-the costume restrictions
    - Voth, undine, tholian, annorax, soon iconian ships useable by the players
    - lockboxes -> the perfect scam
    - the false cratfing tool
    - MK XIII, MK XIV ranks and there are no MK XIII or MK XIV loots
    - no endgame contents
    - too much frustration for one game
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    mine is the iconians, way too fantasy style for trek. i was crying "kingdom Hearts" at the end of the last episode.

then there is magnicite and kemocite, are we going to get nethecite too, and orraculum? maby craft the ultima weapon huh?
    nerf.jpg]
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Not really something that is that much out of place in most of the game, but just something missing in the Foundry. Friendly AND enemy NPC groups of each faction.

Take Jem'Hadar. They exist solely as enemy in the Foundry, but in Midnight we have friendly NPC's.

It seriously limits options in the Foundry, which feels out of place in the general game.

You can costume Feds as Jem'Hadar at least, although I agree. I wish we had melee NPCs.

Yes. And end up with Phaser-firing Jem'Hadar. Which feels out of place.
    I checked today, and even the Polaron-using Benthans are hostiles.
    Transporters. The size of the transporters......look at them, their HUGE!!!!
    Who are they expecting to beam in, Admiral Godzilla? Captain Mothra? Ensign King Kong? Or maybe Commander Grape Ape? The two hippo's from Animaniac's perhaps?

William Shatner's ego? B)

Or was there a subspace memo that we missed or went astray stating that all landing parties must now consist of the Captain, first officer, red shirts, coffins, coroner, autopsy table, undertakers and pallbearers to carry the coffins to the beam down area?

I will admit. Rarely did I laugh as hard on these forums as while reading this post. You win today crash.​​
  • latentredlatentred Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    A shuttlebay area with your active shuttle sitting in it. Probably wouldn't be used much, but everyone would use it at least once.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    here is my list:

(...2 examples cut...)
    - lockboxes -> the perfect scam
    - the false cratfing tool
    - MK XIII, MK XIV ranks and there are no MK XIII or MK XIV loots
    - no endgame contents
    - too much frustration for one game

Missed the point of the OP, since this is about "what does not fit in with Trek" not "what's wrong about this game".
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I hate how so many people use canon names for their characters. I have seem so many James Kirks it is terrible.​​

Less bad for me (after all, Kirk's lifestyle makes it probable that there are a lot of descendants, and why not name your child after a hero - happens all the time). But names are a big "out of place" for me often as well. Especially if they get completely out of hand. No, I do not mind "Hrong Stonethrower, Esq." for a Gorn, since it still references or parodies ST. I do not mind "Liara T'Soni", because if you forget about that it's from another franchise, it would still fit the general theme. But names like "1337m4st3r" or "KDF Dil Farm Toon 02" are really annoying to me. (Similar for ships and boffs that others can see, i. e. away team).
    warpangel wrote: »
    All the people who argue against diversity, equality and freedom of choice as if this game took place in the 19th century instead of the 25th.

End race and gender discrimination!

(Yes, this is about the costume restrictions)

Actually the possible design choices in general do not bother me as much. But in the vein of this thread: yes, some of them are somewhat out of place in a Trek universe. It's a bit like those mods for Skyrim where everybody is redesigned in a primary color manga style: apparently people like it, but for me it would be a mood killer because IMO it doesn't fit the setting. Difference is: I don't see how others are playing their Skyrim.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Yeah. There's a thread asking to have pink skin removed from Orions because it isn't canon.

*shrugs*

#TakeMyNandiCauseItIsn'tCanon
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Of course things are out of place, moreso now that we fired off that bloody Krenim Weapon twice before using it as a portal opener.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Tovan Khev

Out...of....place!
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Yo dawg. I was looking for Krenim tech that would allow Alliance to build Annorax while flying...Annorax.

Funny thing there: If you fly a Temporal Lockbox ship in City on the Edge of Never, they acknowledge you're flying a timeship in alternate dialogues.

Not in any other time travel mission in the game. And as far as I know, none of the other missions are built like this.

Try flying a Vaadwaur ship and replay that mission where you need to get a holographic disguise to pose as a Vaadwaur ship.

Or try flying a Dominion ship in The 2800.

My favorite was when you encounter a S'Golth in one of the Elachi missions and a boff says something like "Captain, I have never seen that class of ship before". Captain wants to look up from the command couch of his S'Golth and go "Report to sickbay. You obviously have some optic problems..." :astonished:
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    not losing Tovan Khev to a transporter accident ala TMP
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I'll tell you what's out of place: people using exploits to gain unrestricted access to the tailor and/or flat out hacking the game files in order to customize their characters in a way they weren't intended.

Ever since the beginning of the Risa summer event this year there have been players wearing full bikinis off of Risa, usually running around DS9. I saw what looked like a Trill or Joined Trill just the other day in a 2 piece swimwear on DS9.

A couple weeks or so ago I saw a male Ferasan who switched to an outfit that had NO clothes! Not even underwear. He wasn't anatomically correct, just covered in fur from head to toe.

A female Catian that looked completely human with no tail, long hair, and alien ears to make it look like a "cat girl".

And a KDF Gorn wearing a full Odyssey uniform (and it was the veteran long coat version). I only have a screenshot of the Gorn. Heck I saw this dude on DS9 just the other day. gorn%20in%20odyssey%20uniform_zpspzctlwlp.jpg~original
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I don't fret over TRIBBLE like this. It's an MMO that's a Star Trek theme park. I accept it for what is.

A little something for everybody and fans of all stripes.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Missed the point of the OP, since this is about "what does not fit in with Trek" not "what's wrong about this game".

my bad, misread :p well, i keep the lockboxes, for the ships, armors and weapons (some of these items shouldn't be useable by players), same thing for the loby store.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Today I saw something amusing. An Orion wearing the Iconian suit.... shaded green.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    The fact ancient relics are still even flying, instead of being retired into a museum ship or scrapped. Granted, this isn't much of an annoyance now that we have text lore to excuse it; we lost plenty of newer active duty ships to the Iconians so older ships are being pulled from mothballs/reserve and brought up to date.

The fact that attire restrictions exist when classic Star Trek had far more revealing or ridiculous attire for both men and women (I'm actually more annoyed at the lack of near-unrestricted Foundry level clothing access; Cryptic still refuses to update their tailor attire for sale, or just sell us a full account unlock for 100 USD flat).

The fact that most species should be playable by both the Feds and KDF and some of them by Romulans but aren't. There should be rebellious human mercs siding with the KDF, war-loving Vulcans fighting for Romulans, and scholarly Gorn peacefully enjoying experiments at the academy science wing.

The fact that players can only ever be good and cannot make a more morally questionable choice that results in an alternate end to a mission. No Star Trek character was a saint, or relatively polite with words. Our characters are trying to be Janeways shooting first, questions later, but then trying to be Picards in-between.

The fact that even KDF players have to play nice even in old faction-specific missions.

The fact that players can only be goody two-shoes Republic Romulans (ties back to players can only be "good" no matter how much gun diplomacy you employ).

The fact that certain unique abilities, maneuvers, and weapons are console-based rather than character-based or ship-based.

The fact that Liberated Borg are restricted to Human, Romulan, and Klingon body types instead of being Alien Gen or offering the option to select a race then select whether to have Borg'd them if you're a Lifer (special exceptions for races that haven't been assimilated or could not be assimilated).

The fact that the KDF is allowed to have a variety of race-designed ships whereas the Federation only gets the D'Kyr and Atrox.

The fact that Boarding Parties never lets us temporarily take control of an enemy ship and then send them to the nearest allied shipyard facility for recycling/reverse-engineering and getting cash or resources in return to use for R&D projects.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Yeah. There's a thread asking to have pink skin removed from Orions because it isn't canon.

*shrugs*

#TakeMyNandiCauseItIsn'tCanon

In fairness, The OP of that thread has made a lifestyle out of having the opinion that no one else does...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Transporters. The size of the transporters......look at them, their HUGE!!!!
    Who are they expecting to beam in, Admiral Godzilla? Captain Mothra? Ensign King Kong? Or maybe Commander Grape Ape? The two hippo's from Animaniac's perhaps?

William Shatner's ego? B)

Or was there a subspace memo that we missed or went astray stating that all landing parties must now consist of the Captain, first officer, red shirts, coffins, coroner, autopsy table, undertakers and pallbearers to carry the coffins to the beam down area?

Finally, someone else noticed this!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    The other day I played the mission A step between the Stars. It boggles me that we are in an alien space station. There are space suits and they perfectly fit us. Is it all build and constructed by humans in the far future that have travelled back in time so we have something to do?

I understood it that those were not torage, but replicators of sorts that manufactured a suit for whoever needs one on the spot. Kinda why we get different suits depending on how we act. the station is scanning and observing us for our needs.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    Everyone running around with great big weapons strapped to their backs. Sure, they might come in handy on away missions or when being boarded, but you almost never saw anyone other than security officers armed and carrying weapons on starbases or starships outside of combat.​​

Haha, I usually have weapon carry visuals turned off on my Fed characters, my KDF character though always walks around with her Adapted KHG rifle visible on her back.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    lindaleff wrote: »
    The biggest problem with STO is the simple fact of dinosaurs existing in Star Trek.

Kinda countered by the existance of the Voth from Star Trek Voyager.

Do we see the Voth running around with Tyrannosaurs in "Distant Origin"? Armored vehicles don't need to be fed and watered, don't sh*t, don't go into heat, aren't likely to eat their operators because of operator error, and fixing them doesn't involve anesthetizing an animal the size of a house that's thrashing around in pain because it took a disruptor blast to the face.

How do we know the voth don't have perfect control over these animals with their technology?

"Study Voth Animal Control Circuitry" DoFF assignment for instance. We're looking for a way to disrupt this control over their giant pets.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The fact that Boarding Parties never lets us temporarily take control of an enemy ship and then send them to the nearest allied shipyard facility for recycling/reverse-engineering and getting cash or resources in return to use for R&D projects.
    That's what you get for sending red-shirts instead of your trusted Boffs, they botch the attempt and occasionally merely succeed in knocking down the system they landed closer to. They even lose their shuttles, which causes even more paperwork to be done.

I'm sure even a colony of tribbles would be more successful than these incompetent tools.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    It might be easier to list the things that feel right, but here's a few off the top of my head.

Too many exotic alien ships is a big one, particularly since players can't actually have characters of those species/factions, and the characters they do play tend to belong to a specific faction that uses their own standardized line-up of ships.

Too many Admirals out from behind a desk is mildly irksome, too.

At times, the complete disconnect between physical size of a character and the size of the weapon they're using.

The general lack of the game world reflecting the ongoing story. For as wide-scale as the Iconian war was supposed to have been, it doesn't seem to have existed at all outside of instanced episode maps.

Ship interiors in general.