test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Things out of place.

So... STO is interesting in may ways... It sticks with Star Trek, and generally follows those (mostly) rules for how ST is supposed to be.

It's mostly within the experience, but every now and then, we come across something that is introduced, but just dosen't seem quite right.

This is a DISCUSSION about those things that we, as individuals, find out of place... Everything goes.

So, for me, it is mostly the whole concept of people flying around so many alien ships... Sure, there are times when all the great captains flew around enemy and allied ships, but never on a permanent basis..

People mostly tend to swap back to the faction specific ships of cause, but somehow it's always bugged me...

You're up....
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas

Comments

• Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Everyone running around with great big weapons strapped to their backs. Sure, they might come in handy on away missions or when being boarded, but you almost never saw anyone other than security officers armed and carrying weapons on starbases or starships outside of combat.​​
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    The tens of thousands of "Admirals" that exist in Starfleet, to this day I never understood why the ranking has to go that high.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    The tens of thousands of "Admirals" that exist in Starfleet, to this day I never understood why the ranking has to go that high.

How we have the title of Admiral, but we're constantly being told what to do. I thought that an Admiral is a management level position, not a foot soldier position.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    The era bias... this one is so stupid to me it hurts.

Let me explain:

ENT era (22nd century): Tons of T5/T6 ships. They get treated like the best thing ever. This is stupid beyond belief considering the following:

TOS (mid 23rd century): Treated like a taboo. Barring uniforms and maybe 1 or 2 missions, the devs act like this era never happened. No ships beyond T1 with the exception of the D7... which needs a dire revamp.

TMP (late 23rd-early 24th century): Pretty much the same as TOS. It gets treated like dirt. Barring the Excelsior and K't'inga, none of the ships from this era make it to T5/T6 for "reasons".

TNG (mid to late 24th century): Gets everything. Very few ships from this era are omitted from endgame so far (Centaur).

Just to iterate: When I started playing the game, I understood why people were against T5 connies and stuff like that, because of the setting of the game and the fact that it would have made no sense. Now, we got even older ships flying around leaving the top dogs of the 24th (!!) century in the dirt. IT MAKES NO SENSE. So because of that, I want TOS and TMP to get the same coverage. Its far beyond making sense as to what we fly with the most obscure alien ships everywhere right now. At least that kind of content would harken back to the roots of Star Trek.

Let's face it. I love the story and creativity of the game but when it comes to ship tiers, any logic has jumped ship long ago. If you are gonna turn STO into a theme park with every ship ever made, at least give me the option to fly my favorites without arbitrary tier regulations excluding eras for no good reason.

End of rant.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    ataloss wrote: »

How we have the title of Admiral, but we're constantly being told what to do. I thought that an Admiral is a management level position, not a foot soldier position.

I'll just repost what I said elsewhere on that subject:
    starswordc wrote: »
    vorwoda wrote: »
    You seem to lack a proper understanding of how military ranks work. The highest rank is only in charge by default when not under orders otherwise. Which seems to be the case when we play story missions.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you're missing my points.

1) This level of "under orders otherwise" (to use your phrase) is tantamount to Eisenhower or Nimitz (at their highest - Five Star - rank) being given orders by a Major or a Captain. Taking it to this extreme is patently absurd - in any service. Basically, what I'm saying is that our characters at end game are at Julius Caesar levels of importance, power and prestige. Treat them as such.

2) In Starfleet in particular (from what's been shown on screen), being the ranking officer gives you the automatic authority to assume command in the field. Examples exist in the shows from TOS onward. Only proving the superior officer insane seems to be a viable defense. ;)
    REALLY? Ok... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! New Ground(TNG) Picard is ordered to take the Enterprise to assist in experiments involving a new method of space travel. the person conducting the experiments isn't even Starfleet, but Picard does what they tell him to do. Why? Because it's his job as a Starfleet officer.
    So, in other words, his orders from his legitimate superiors are to follow this civilian's directions within said civilian's area of expertise. That does not invalidate the point that it is flatly ridiculous for a fleet admiral, the highest possible rank in the system, underline, to routinely be taking orders from an O-5.

Now, there are specific circumstances where this would not be the case. The current Surgeon General of the Army is a nursing officer who was in the Pentagon on 9/11 and took charge of things before emergency services arrived. This included a three-star asking her why she was giving him orders; she responds, "Sir, I'm a nurse," and he goes, "OK, carry on." And of course we can't forget Maxim 3: "An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody."

But in STO, these circumstances are almost never present. Outside of Jorel Quinn and Admiral Kererek, mission givers are almost never ranked properly for the authority they're given (A subcommander in charge of the entire Dyson Sphere? Seriously? A captain in command of the entire Alliance war effort? Bullsh*t!), and treat the player characters like totally green ensigns despite being outranked by several grades, and often even giving them tasks that should rightly be given to junior enlisted.

Let me also remind you that disrespect to a superior officer is a court-martialable offense. :wink:

"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Tabby cats on Q'onos, IRL theyd probably eat cats.

White orion girls wearing armor bikini that look l Iike princess leia.
    Non trek related characters, ive seen homer simpson, yoda, men in black, etc, guys in pin stripped suits, girls in TRIBBLE prom dresses, elves....
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I hate how so many people use canon names for their characters. I have seem so many James Kirks it is terrible.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    This isn't something that's been recently introduced, but something that bothers me nonetheless. I'm disturbed by the genocide...so much genocide.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

You seem to lack a proper understanding of how military ranks work. The highest rank is only in charge by default when not under orders otherwise. Which seems to be the case when we play story missions.

1) This level of "under orders otherwise" (to use your phrase) is tantamount to Eisenhower or Nimitz (at their highest - Five Star - rank) being given orders by a Major or a Captain. Taking it to this extreme is patently absurd - in any service. Basically, what I'm saying is that our characters at end game are at Julius Caesar levels of importance, power and prestige. Treat them as such.

2) In Starfleet in particular (from what's been shown on screen), being the ranking officer gives you the automatic authority to assume command in the field. Examples exist in the shows from TOS onward. Only proving the superior officer insane seems to be a viable defense. ;)
    REALLY? Ok... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! New Ground(TNG) Picard is ordered to take the Enterprise to assist in experiments involving a new method of space travel. the person conducting the experiments isn't even Starfleet, but Picard does what they tell him to do. Why? Because it's his job as a Starfleet officer.
    So, in other words, his orders from his legitimate superiors are to follow this civilian's directions within said civilian's area of expertise. That does not invalidate the point that it is flatly ridiculous for a fleet admiral, the highest possible rank in the system, underline, to routinely be taking orders from an O-5.

Now, there are specific circumstances where this would not be the case. The current Surgeon General of the Army is a nursing officer who was in the Pentagon on 9/11 and took charge of things before emergency services arrived. This included a three-star asking her why she was giving him orders; she responds, "Sir, I'm a nurse," and he goes, "OK, carry on." And of course we can't forget Maxim 3: "An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody."

But in STO, these circumstances are almost never present. Outside of Jorel Quinn and Admiral Kererek, mission givers are almost never ranked properly for the authority they're given (A subcommander in charge of the entire Dyson Sphere? Seriously? A captain in command of the entire Alliance war effort? Bullsh*t!), and treat the player characters like totally green ensigns despite being outranked by several grades, and often even giving them tasks that should rightly be given to junior enlisted.

Let me also remind you that disrespect to a superior officer is a court-martialable offense. :wink:

I always thought that ranks should have stopped at "Captain." Whether the level cap is 40, 50, 60, whatever. The devs still call us captains in their blogs and community alerts.

[Attention, Captains! STO will be experiencing maintenance.....]
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User

I always thought that ranks should have stopped at "Captain." Whether the level cap is 40, 50, 60, whatever. The devs still call us captains in their blogs and community alerts.

[Attention, Captains! STO will be experiencing maintenance.....]

This. All the this.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    old modular designs outperforming newer designs. Sure there's always the tried and true... but seriously?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    old modular designs outperforming newer designs. Sure there's always the tried and true... but seriously?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppealToNovelty

give that a read...maybe you'll realize how silly what you just said sounds​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    Oh I know, i know
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    People flying alien ships, like the Undine & Tholian & Krenim Weapon ships. And the reason why I point this out, is not to force my version of 'canon' to anyone, but rather, point out the fallacy of such double-standard logic STO currently has - If you want to go all weird about ships, then don't restrict our character-customization so much.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The era bias... this one is so stupid to me it hurts.

Let me explain:

ENT era (22nd century): Tons of T5/T6 ships. They get treated like the best thing ever. This is stupid beyond belief considering the following:

TOS (mid 23rd century): Treated like a taboo. Barring uniforms and maybe 1 or 2 missions, the devs act like this era never happened. No ships beyond T1 with the exception of the D7... which needs a dire revamp.

TMP (late 23rd-early 24th century): Pretty much the same as TOS. It gets treated like dirt. Barring the Excelsior and K't'inga, none of the ships from this era make it to T5/T6 for "reasons".

TNG (mid to late 24th century): Gets everything. Very few ships from this era are omitted from endgame so far (Centaur).

STO isn't like WoW, where the developers own the IP to the materials in the game. Cryptic has to get the OK from CBS, which owns the rights to Star Trek. The reason ships from the TOS/TMP era don't really see endgame status *cough Connie cough* is because CBS said no to some details.

I'm still waiting for my ST5/6 Assault Phaser to go with my WoK uniform...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    The biggest problem with STO is the simple fact of dinosaurs existing in Star Trek.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    The silly looking Uniforms. It's almost as if comfort and class has gone in the reverse since TNG.

The amount of Escorts in this game.

How many ships are just sitting around Earth Space Dock. In the movies you only seen one ship...maybe two around Earth Space Dock...suddenly there are thirty plus...all sitting and fighting for one pinpointed location. Absolutely silly to me.

The odd ball outfits people wear...looks more like Champions Online costumes rather than Federation Uniforms.

A lot of these "futuristic" ships are looking downright retro and ugly as hell. I can barely find a T6 ship I actually find to be a good looking ship.

All the ships you fly past in Sector Space...way7 too many. It seems like every other light year you travel you just happen to visually see another allied ship. It's almost as if the wide open space has become as small as a busy New York street.

Since when does getting a communication suddenly drop you out of Cloaking? Extremely annoying.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    lindaleff wrote: »
    The biggest problem with STO is the simple fact of dinosaurs existing in Star Trek.

Kinda countered by the existance of the Voth from Star Trek Voyager.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Kinda countered by the existance of the Voth from Star Trek Voyager.

Do we see the Voth running around with Tyrannosaurs in "Distant Origin"? Armored vehicles don't need to be fed and watered, don't sh*t, don't go into heat, aren't likely to eat their operators because of operator error, and fixing them doesn't involve anesthetizing an animal the size of a house that's thrashing around in pain because it took a disruptor blast to the face.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    The lack of non-combat combat.

Star Trek is going to, by nature, have a heavy non-combat element. I'd say large sections of Star Trek fit more in with, say, Law & Order than with G.I.Joe.

This game's gameplay is MMO and bordering on action MMO based.

So when we delve into non-combat, I've always been puzzled why I get ripped out of gameplay for a Choose Your Own Adventure style dialogue, especially with a fixed outcome.

If you look back at play station games from the 90s, the idea of arcade controls to manage things like bluffs and deception were already there in video games. And if you go back to our original EP, Zinc... Well, I always felt more like I saw eye to eye with him than some in the community; I think he took heat for things like a launch date and monster play Klingons, which were outside his control.

Zinc was very interested in how to expand the game's non-combat gameplay and immersion. In fact, I think it gained some infamy that he said he'd like it if security came in and shot any player who stood on tables. And the original discussion for Diplomacy, which began under his tenure, was for diplomacy as an active gameplay mechanic with power emotes, a kind of verbal combat system. Instead it became more of a "Scanning/Exploration" game and ultimately a DOff category.

I think for what this game is, it would have been a stronger choice to have Diplomacy as a third mode along with ground and space with "Persuade" and "Bluff" and "Rebuttal" and "Sympathize" and so on as combat powers. Phoenix Wright it up a bit, maybe. Power meters and combos to interrogate captives or gain the trust of aliens.

I'd love it if there were an STF that had 5 Captains beam into a courtroom and they took positions and started furiously mashing spacebar to flirt with jurors and time objections.

"Hold off on the persuasion per second while I heal the friendly guy's ego!"
    "I'm getting aggro! Can someone else troll the critics while I heal my ego?"
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Wow... I did not expect this level of attention over night.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Pretty much this.

Canon origin or not but those T-Rex V-Rex with their laser breaths are the icing on this cake of ridiculousness.
    Srsly it's like cryptic are NSP fans or something.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    It sticks with Star Trek? I always thought this game was more like a generic space MMO in a Star Trek costume. It annoys me that in most missions there's absolutely no other way than killing every single enemy. There's no such thing as disable a ship, solve a conflict through diplomacy or capture an adversary.

Second I don't like the fireing mechanism of ship weapons. They are supposed to fire in a sequence not at all at once. In fact there's only one single TNG episode in which you can see the Enterprise firing all weapons simultaneously. And there's not a single DS9 or Voyager episode showing this.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    The other day I played the mission A step between the Stars. It boggles me that we are in an alien space station. There are space suits and they perfectly fit us. Is it all build and constructed by humans in the far future that have travelled back in time so we have something to do?

In the mission Midnight Kagran suggests to bring your ship into orbit near the pole. Can one do that? Orbitting a planet near one of the poles?

Also as someone said here, the genocide. I would say all the cannon fodder. We are in a very far future. Technology has that far advanced that we can travel among the stars. There are many species from other worlds advanced as we are or even more, yet they lack simple understanding of combat, it tactics and strategy.
  • Options

Mission givers being in the chain of command AT ALL has been something I have always said seems fairly un-Trek.

Go watch five episodes at random, any series. Odds are, none of them start with an admiral or any officer aside from the captain giving orders. Odds are they don't start with the captain giving orders. Odds are that the events of the episode are framed as a civilian request or a natural curiosity. And that the captain goes through with it not because of orders but because they want the civilian's cooperation or because of natural curiosity.

And this isn't an MMO thing. Go play WoW. A game predicated on a two side war. Notice a distinct lack of chain of command. Your hero character sometimes assists in battle but almost nobody pulls rank on him or her because outside of PvP and some roleplay, there is no rank.

So it's not just that they get military orders wrong in STO. It's that they introduce military orders as a justification for stories in a franchise with little history of that and in a game genre with very little history of that and then proceed to get it wrong.

Instead of being assigned to chasing Epohhs, wouldn't it make considerably more sense if the researcher said, "We're short on hands. If you're not willing to chase an epohh, I'm not willing to share the research with you." "Couldn't I just send an officer to assist you?" "We'll take all the hands we can get but if you think you're too good to do it personally, I'm not sure you're cut out to care for an Epohh."

The questgivers don't need to be senior officers. They just need to be civilians with attitude who we can't get cooperation out of unless we play by their rules.
  • Options
    wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Yo dawg. I was looking for Krenim tech that would allow Alliance to build Annorax while flying...Annorax.
  • Options
    Yo dawg. I was looking for Krenim tech that would allow Alliance to build Annorax while flying...Annorax.

Funny thing there: If you fly a Temporal Lockbox ship in City on the Edge of Never, they acknowledge you're flying a timeship in alternate dialogues.

Not in any other time travel mission in the game. And as far as I know, none of the other missions are built like this.

Try flying a Vaadwaur ship and replay that mission where you need to get a holographic disguise to pose as a Vaadwaur ship.

Or try flying a Dominion ship in The 2800.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All the people who argue against diversity, equality and freedom of choice as if this game took place in the 19th century instead of the 25th.

End race and gender discrimination!

(Yes, this is about the costume restrictions)
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    (Yes, this is about the costume restrictions)
    Agreed on this as well. Down with costume restrictions.

[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Not really something that is that much out of place in most of the game, but just something missing in the Foundry. Friendly AND enemy NPC groups of each faction.

Take Jem'Hadar. They exist solely as enemy in the Foundry, but in Midnight we have friendly NPC's.

It seriously limits options in the Foundry, which feels out of place in the general game.​​