test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Iconian War: Finale

Comments

• Options
    tenadatenada Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    The way this arc has disappointed me I can see a "war of the worlds" type ending where as nothing that was mentioned before ,like a simple flu virus simply makes them all drop dead
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator
    tenada wrote: »
    The way this arc has disappointed me I can see a "war of the worlds" type ending where as nothing that was mentioned before ,like a simple flu virus simply makes them all drop dead

Tribbles! Iconians are deathly allergic to Tribbles! And we beam over boad loads of them to wipe them out! :smiley:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I dont get it. This is the Arc we've been building up to since ... forever. NO RAs? No Battlezone? Patrols? Shuttle Missions? Doff missions????

IMMERSION BE DAMNED!!!! MOAR MUNNIES BUY KEYS!!!!!
    Now that it's here.. 8 episodes.. done. Half of them are focused on the friggen Krenim. (They should of had their own Arc between the War and Delta rising.)

Why were the Krenim introduced into the "Iconian War" arc?

Let us take this square and unusable piece and smack it with a rubber mallet that squeeks till it fits...
    "The alliance has enjoyed minor victories and suffered major defeats, but they now have a technological advantage they are scrambling to bring into the field."

They are going to deploy chuck norris finally
    What? They've been sitting in the Andromedea Galaxy for the past 200k years but only in the past 6 months do they gain this advantage?

Well geeze mr norris was having coffee and they asked him to do it sooner but he just looked at them so the waited.
    With their backs against the wall and the temporal prime directive in mind, the alliance is poised to make an unthinkable decision.
    I'm not even going to answer this bit.

They are going to put toilets on starships....there i said it for you

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I'm not even going to answer this bit.

They are going to put toilets on starships....there i said it for you

[/quote]

Oh TRIBBLE.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User

Oh TRIBBLE.

Literally.
  • Options
    falsfire1976falsfire1976 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    As a primarily fed player; ESD is fine. Please revamp Qonos...First City is a TRIBBLE to navigate. Yeah I know where everything is, but it takes so much time running from end to end, transporting to get to shipyard, etc compared to ESD.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    i have to say this arc and who ever thought it was good to do blogs to explain and move the story forward should be fired... sorry to say but this is a game and we are here to play it... one shouldnt need to read 20+ web novella blogs to get the gist of the story and see it progress... i have not read a single one and so this entire story feels like a joke... in the future do a short non repeatable mission that gives a out a spec point or a character bound c-store key (makes what ever you open character bound as well)... keys might work out cause it could get folks hooked on buying more in the future...
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was just a misplaced, copy-and-pasted ESD from when the Undine first invaded. Well anyways, just glad this extremely short, boring, and unemotional war is coming to an end. Now we get to do that thing we've been asking for more than 2 years now for and is just gonna be turned into another boring, repetitive grind: Exploring!

All mine been exploring. I saw all kinds of new places, helped many new people, and the list goes on. Just so happen I had to fight along the way as well.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    They already did that once would be kind of redundant.
    More importantly do we get our Iconian BO after this episode?:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The secret weapon that ends the Iconian War? - Transphasic Torpedoes. I just rewatched Voyager 'Endgame' last night after 14 years. A couple of those babies blew up Cubes like they were Sugar Cubes. So some ships armed with those would decimate the Herald Fleets. And think of what we could have done if Kagran hadn't sent out all those ships to their death unarmed with these Super Weapons?

Maybe my future future self has a new talk with my future self before the talk with my Delta Recruit self and provides the answer to the end of this Bloody War - 42. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I think this season is a lose-lose for everyone, for both us and Cryptic. Why? Because we're an unsatisfied bunch of people. I can guarantee that, if all of the immersion demands everyone has whined about since the start of 10.5 was implemented, we would still have people complaining about this season. This time, it wouldn't be because there wasn't enough, it would be because it was too much, especially if Cryptic put in all the suggestions I've seen since that point.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    By the way, considering the ginormous size of ESD, and we only use basically one level, sort of like a split level home, we could lose part of it in this episode and not need a revamp. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    The time we're going to change is when they hit ESD, Mol'Rihan and Qo'nos, since we're seeing ESD blow up again.

We're going to change how badly they hit us, because we've been losing from that moment. Not exactly sure how we'll change it, but that's about the only thing that makes sense if we base it off the "poster" image.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    I agree, the Iconian storyline was a major disappointment. It has no real flow to it, no feeling of emergency, and no immersion. It just is.

Lately, I get the feeling the Devs lost sight of "the BIG picture", because all these revamping fragmented the original story of STO, because lots of the connections were removed. The Iconian manipulation was minimized and their ultimate lead-up was lackluster.
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    mk, here it is, the leaked plot of the mission, All the species of the galaxy, having spent the night before the final battle binge eating on bean burritos, releases one massive, galaxy wide TRIBBLE that blows the Iconians and there sphere out of the galaxy forever. A smelly, yet semi heroic end to the war.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    You know why the quality of this blog post was so bad and uninformative?

Trendy is still on vacation!

Bring Trendy home!

Now, really... Glad it's over... Let's get on with it. It'll be four weeks worth of this episode, one week for each of four rewards that no one will really want (unless it'll include another 360° arc beam)... Then we'll get a new season and more content, somewhat concerning exploration and pew pew... It'll resemble Star Trek enough to keep most of us here...

Bring it on!
    CM
    Exactly! I think Burning man is over, all will be right in the Star Trek universe about 15 min after she sits at her desk with her cup of coffee....everyone calm down
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    > azurianstar wrote:
    > I agree, the Iconian storyline was a major disappointment. It has no real flow to it, no feeling of emergency, and no immersion. It just is.

But it was pretty !!
    #gotaco

> Lately, I get the feeling the Devs lost sight of "the BIG picture", because all these revamping fragmented the original story of STO,
    > because lots of the connections were removed

Well the players do love the Borg STF's, so they decided to butcher the entire game like they did the Borg STF's .
    It all makes sense , you just have to stand on your head and clap loudly for that to happen .
    Also , you should buy more ships .
    #gogeko

> The Iconian manipulation was minimized and their ultimate lead-up was lackluster.

But the game takes less to download due to it's constantly shrinking size !
    AND you get faster to the endgame to buy those ships !!!
    #gostephenx2
    #gopermanentrevamp
    #gopermenantbeta
    #godevswhohatetheirowngame
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was just a misplaced, copy-and-pasted ESD from when the Undine first invaded.
    That was actually my guess, too.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I don't think the Iconian Arc was all that bad, but it felt rushed, as if they wanted to bring the games story towards the new exploration focus and away from "In the grim darkness of the 23rd century, there is only war" thing we have now.

A lot of the missions would make far more sense and tell storys that are not actually that bad if they had taken the time to add a few more lines of Text to explain what is happening (Yes, even house Pegh and especially broken circle) and yes, things would have benefited a lot from a few changes to sector space, red alerts and even small things like NPC banther. (I guess it all comes down to the old "peacounters not freeing any money "just" for flavor stuff" issue)

In the end, people placed a lot of hope into the Iconian arc, and why should we not? It was after all the conclusion of everything STO did in the past 5 years and should have been a universe shattering event instead of just feeling like another footnote in the games greater storyline, but it still wasn't that bad. It just didn't live up to what it could (should) have been.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Immersion did you all say, i have to laugh so hard that i almost broken my Laptop. Immersion was on all that C-store and lock-boxes ships that you got. What where you all expecting from Cryptic. Storytelling has never been their strong suit. I mean flying through sector space, did we even get the hint that the galaxy(Quadrants) was at war. Nope nothing, same thing happened with the Klingon And Federation War. I for one can wait for this to be over.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    After realizing they're about to be snuffed out of existence, the war will end with the Iconians coming to sign a non-aggression pact on board the USS Lexington. The Iconian delegation will be dressed in pinstripe suits and top hats. Their surrender will be accepted by Tom Paris, Nog and Seven of Nine along with a Romulan and Klingon commander and your character. There will be food and cocktails served after the signing. The Iconians will be invited to open trade negotiations with all of the allied races. They will surprise everyone by revealing that they're all great cooks and they'll begin opening up intergalactic fast food restaurants and bars with music and dancing. There will be much rejoicing.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    sirmayday wrote: »
    If Brotherhood of the Sword doesn't mean a new First City, I don't imagine a few fires in promo art means another new ESD.

Well, maybe not... but a revamp of ESD is much needed. I mean, it's about time my fleet admiral got his own office there xD
    And it would be a nice opportunity to remove that Trill admiral who's sitting at my desk...

They already completely redid ESD once. How many dev hours do they need to spend on making, remaking, and remaking ESD again?

Part of the reason they remade it last time was because no one could ever find certain NPC's. "Where's Sulu?" was a running joke - because that was the single most asked question by new players on ESD.

At least we can easily find everything now.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    sirmayday wrote: »
    If Brotherhood of the Sword doesn't mean a new First City, I don't imagine a few fires in promo art means another new ESD.

Well, maybe not... but a revamp of ESD is much needed. I mean, it's about time my fleet admiral got his own office there xD
    And it would be a nice opportunity to remove that Trill admiral who's sitting at my desk...

They already completely redid ESD once. How many dev hours do they need to spend on making, remaking, and remaking ESD again?

Part of the reason they remade it last time was because no one could ever find certain NPC's. "Where's Sulu?" was a running joke - because that was the single most asked question by new players on ESD.

At least we can easily find everything now.

Zulu is still nowhere to be found though.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    I dont get it. This is the Arc we've been building up to since ... forever. NO RAs? No Battlezone? Patrols? Shuttle Missions? Doff missions????
    I fully understand and agree with the criticism leveled against Cryptic, however, wether anyone feels immersed in the war is their own responsibility. Myself, I've been playing the more than 20 mission strong Iconian War Anthology on the Foundry and I can say I'm immersed just fine. I have seen Risa burn, Bajor bombarded, atrocities committed against civilians, have fought epic battles and engaged in crucial diplomatic as well as secret missions.

If you want immersion, just look to the Foundry. And it's not like Cryptic will ever fill all those gaps in the war's narrative with official lore.
    "The alliance has enjoyed minor victories and suffered major defeats, but they now have a technological advantage they are scrambling to bring into the field."

What? They've been sitting in the Andromedea Galaxy for the past 200k years but only in the past 6 months do they gain this advantage?
    Not them. Us.

Wrong. The lack of immersion is on Cryptics head. They were tasked with providing a story. They botched it. They botched it bad. You cant expect people to immerse themselves when everything that has given the player tools to immerse themselves has been tossed out at what could be argued the most important story arc of the game.

The fact that you had to run to that tired and pathetic argument of 'go play foundry if you want immersion' is an indicator that you dont even believe the TRIBBLE you just wrote.

Actually the lack of immersion is simply down to the fact that you have 3-4 weeks downtime with no visible sign of the war ingame (an unfortunate necessity due to the open world nature of the game). Had the missions come out all at once you'd have burnt through them on the edge of your seat, not noticed the lack of changes to the open world outside the missions, then demanded more content.

Did they mess up a little with how the arc was done, yes, but not for the reasons people are claiming.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Actually the lack of immersion is simply down to the fact that you have 3-4 weeks downtime with no visible sign of the war ingame (an unfortunate necessity due to the open world nature of the game). Had the missions come out all at once you'd have burnt through them on the edge of your seat, not noticed the lack of changes to the open world outside the missions, then demanded more content.

Maybe *you* would have been on the edge of your seat, but I would have still been disgusted by horrible storyline, stupid NPCs, and lack of meaningful decisions or actions by my character.

And no, it was not the nature of the game that demanded this. The game could have handled it, Cryptic decided upon the method used- not the limitations of the system.
  • Options
    bluedarky wrote: »

Maybe *you* would have been on the edge of your seat, but I would have still been disgusted by horrible storyline, stupid NPCs, and lack of meaningful decisions or actions by my character.

And no, it was not the nature of the game that demanded this. The game could have handled it, Cryptic decided upon the method used- not the limitations of the system.

The writing is subjective so commenting on that is a waste of time.

However I never said that it was system limitations, I'm well aware that the main reason for the lack of observable changes in the overworld was financial (creating an entire new overworld that would only exist for a single season isn't a viable use of time or resources) and to prevent splitting the playerbase between the regular overworld and Iconian War overworld.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »
    I'm not holding my breath for either a long, or enjoyable finale. I'm predicting a real snoozer dialog session between Nog, Seven, Jarok, Kagran, and the gang, a warp out of the system. a move for somewhere else, maybe a couple minutes of action, and then watch the deus ex machina solution happen.

This is exactly what I'm expecting. Be bored, roll my eyes, and collect my spec point for the week.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User

The book opens with a treatise on survival of the fittest and the ruthlessness of mankind as an example of what to expect from invaders. The latest movie I've seen begins on a similar note, devoting a few minutes to the evolution of life on Earth as a constant struggle among organisms for survival.

I don't forsee a 'suddenly drop dead' scenario, and I have some faith that Cryptic's writers had an end-game in mind when they began the Iconian story arc at least developed well enough to plant clues in the beginning to the shape of the end. I certainly may have missed some of the clues and misinterpreted others, but I am confident the clues are there.

One example is the presence of Franklin Drake as we examine the various scenarios the Weapon creators have proposed. Is he a red herring? Or is he going to have an impact on the later story? Another example is Sela's explanation about Iconians' inability to travel in time. What role will that play in the advancement of the plot?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

Tribbles! Iconians are deathly allergic to Tribbles! And we beam over boad loads of them to wipe them out! :smiley:

No, Tribbles are the Other!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    brian334 wrote: »

The book opens with a treatise on survival of the fittest and the ruthlessness of mankind as an example of what to expect from invaders. The latest movie I've seen begins on a similar note, devoting a few minutes to the evolution of life on Earth as a constant struggle among organisms for survival.

Also the ending to War of the Worlds is fully intended to be ironic in nature, in that the mighty alien invaders who defeated mankinds advanced weaponry at every turn were defeated by creatures so tiny we often forget they exist. It also highlights something that will be a major issue when we start exploring the galaxy and find 'habitable' planets.

The Iconian invasion on the other hand has suffered major setbacks at the hands of the alliance, M'Tara dead, the Solena trapped in subspace as well as the Alliance managing to protect many major targets means that the final battle will not be something as simple as the Iconian's just dropping dead from a random virus.

That being said, Drake seems to be involved somehow...