What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Iconian War: Finale

Comments

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    we're really drawing from the bottom of the barrel of discussion when the formatting not being up to expectations becomes an issue.

So yes, for me a "news" that brings me NO information at all is an issue.

Well, it does inform us of the name of the episode and that we're finally rid of those unimaginative iconians.
    Six months already with no immersion. Were we even at war?​​

I agree. Instead of a Herald battlezone and red alerts, it's episodes with more dialog than action and tales of the war. This is what we spent 5 years waiting for? I would rather keep waiting.

A stationary battlezone for the heralds doesn't make any sense really. The only reason we have battlezones for the other reputations (Defera-Omega, New Romulus, Nukara, Dyson Sphere Battlezone, Undine Battlezone, and Kobali Prime) is because the locations make sense. With the exception of the Borg, none of the other enemies can really go anywhere they want, which is what you see with the Heralds. We can't just lock them in one area since they can come from anywhere. Sure, there's the Sphere, but we've already done 2 battlezones in the Solanae Dyson Sphere. I think sphere battlezones are done to death.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I didn't think the final arc was bad per se; it was 'Trekish' enough (and no worse then arcs from DS9 over it's run, et al.) What they didn't do (which I was disappointed about) was not even attempt to put any of that desperation (IE the Arcs speaks of attacks on major installations, Federation, Romulan Republic, and Klingon colonies, etc.) into the STO meta game. We have Borg Red Alerts, Tholian Red Alerts, but they didn't even attempt to add an Iconian/Herald Red Alert, or really anything in the STO meta game that even hints at this 'Desperation' supposedly EVERY major Star Nation (Fed, RSE, RR, KDF, and supposedly even races in the Gamma and Delta quadrats) in the Milky Way galaxy is supposedluy experiencing. <--- that was probably the most disappointing aspect that the Devs (IMO) dropped the ball on here. YMMV.

Either way, bring on the final episode for this arc, and lets see if they can do a bit better with the new storyline they introduce with the Season 1 update.

^^This^^

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    we're really drawing from the bottom of the barrel of discussion when the formatting not being up to expectations becomes an issue.

Well, it does inform us of the name of the episode and that we're finally rid of those unimaginative iconians.
    Six months already with no immersion. Were we even at war?

I agree. Instead of a Herald battlezone and red alerts, it's episodes with more dialog than action and tales of the war. This is what we spent 5 years waiting for? I would rather keep waiting.

A stationary battlezone for the heralds doesn't make any sense really. The only reason we have battlezones for the other reputations (Defera-Omega, New Romulus, Nukara, Dyson Sphere Battlezone, Undine Battlezone, and Kobali Prime) is because the locations make sense. With the exception of the Borg, none of the other enemies can really go anywhere they want, which is what you see with the Heralds. We can't just lock them in one area since they can come from anywhere. Sure, there's the Sphere, but we've already done 2 battlezones in the Solanae Dyson Sphere. I think sphere battlezones are done to death.
    We could still have Red Alerts, however, and we don't. I think that is the simplest thing that they should have done - and they definitely have the tech to level-lock those if needed.

The biggest failing of the Iconian Arc is not the story-line. it might have its flaws and sometimes could have been told better. But no, the real problem is that the mis-match between game-play and lore here. The lore says we're deep in our necks in a war we seem to be losing - but we are not seeing it anywhere, unless you purposefully queue up for a war queue or enter a war mission.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    *looks at news post*

Soooo... would you say that STO's Doomsday Clock is counting down to Midnight? :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    You lot must be hella fun during your annual reviews.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Wrong. The lack of immersion is on Cryptics head. They were tasked with providing a story. They botched it. They botched it bad.
    Again, I don't disagree with this.
    You cant expect people to immerse themselves
    Why not? If no one is doing it for you why not do it yourself? Why should we be totally passive about ensuring we have a good time?
    Get off your lazy bum and do something for your own good. I doubt complaining in a forum all week is anyone's idea of fun.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    Well atleast they are doing better than tv shows these days. I am glad they are giving this story arc one last episode to finish the game off. It had a good run but you just have to know when its over with and it is over.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Honestly, I figured they would just pop an Omega molecule in the Herald Iconian Sphere and be done with it...or somehow Jump the Sphere into a Red Giant and be done with it...or jump the Solonae Sphere on top of or into the Herald sphere and be done with it.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I didn't think the final arc was bad per se; it was 'Trekish' enough (and no worse then arcs from DS9 over it's run, et al.) What they didn't do (which I was disappointed about) was not even attempt to put any of that desperation (IE the Arcs speaks of attacks on major installations, Federation, Romulan Republic, and Klingon colonies, etc.) into the STO meta game. We have Borg Red Alerts, Tholian Red Alerts, but they didn't even attempt to add an Iconian/Herald Red Alert, or really anything in the STO meta game that even hints at this 'Desperation' supposedly EVERY major Star Nation (Fed, RSE, RR, KDF, and supposedly even races in the Gamma and Delta quadrats) in the Milky Way galaxy is supposedluy experiencing. <--- that was probably the most disappointing aspect that the Devs (IMO) dropped the ball on here. YMMV.

Either way, bring on the final episode for this arc, and lets see if they can do a bit better with the new storyline they introduce with the Season 1 update.

Pretty much this: I mean, how hard would it have been to add Heralds / Iconians as an enemy mob option in Colony Invasion? Federation Fleet Alert? Starbase Fleet Defense? How TRIBBLE hard would it have been to make them a possible enemy mob in the sector missions?

dirlettia wrote: »
    So guessing we send them all to the mirror universe where Leeta kills them and then comes and invades us..

This is....interesting. We don't want to break/mess with the Temporal Prime Directive, but the Terran Empire has no such scruples, so why not let *them* deal with it? lol I like the idea of shoving them there....I can also see how this may infuriate the Terrans and make them want to come over and end us.

What if the Mirror Iconians are the "other"? Even better what if we send them over to the Mirror Universe so we can have the Mirror Iconians deal with them? Who knows. It's very fanficish already. Ugh. lol
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    Well atleast they are doing better than tv shows these days. I am glad they are giving this story arc one last episode to finish the game off. It had a good run but you just have to know when its over with and it is over.

Ummm... The game isn't ending, just the Iconian story arc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    To be honest, my attention was mostly drawn to the non-glowy Iconian to the right of T'Ket.

Not the first time ESD is burning, so nothing to see here ;)​​
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The 3 ships are also a clue that maybe, at last, the 3 flagships (i mean the 3 during the same mission) are going to join the fight in game, and not in a lore blog.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Really? I thought it was just a misplaced, copy-and-pasted ESD from when the Undine first invaded. Well anyways, just glad this extremely short, boring, and unemotional war is coming to an end. Now we get to do that thing we've been asking for more than 2 years now for and is just gonna be turned into another boring, repetitive grind: Exploring!
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yep - as guljarol said, non-glow Iconian in poster pic - we are SO going back in time.

With Janeway none the less! I think one of the prior war tales hinted at that quite strongly, we'll probably use the same temporal tech Janeway used at the end of the Voyager series.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was just a misplaced, copy-and-pasted ESD from when the Undine first invaded. Well anyways, just glad this extremely short, boring, and unemotional war is coming to an end. Now we get to do that thing we've been asking for more than 2 years now for and is just gonna be turned into another boring, repetitive grind: Exploring!

Was no reason we couldn't of done some "exploring" during the wars.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ciphertuesdayciphertuesday Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I think in one of those tales of war blogs it was stated that the timeline altering project has been on hold after what happened in "butterfly", so my guess is the player somehow helping the project get relaunched and getting rid of the iconians once for all LOL.

One other thing-although I know this not gonna happen anyway-it would be interesting if somehow the previews mission revamp get reflected in game, like the old ones are what happened in the "original timeline" and the revamp ones are created along with the altered timeline. Crazy thoughts I know, but still can be played out in an interesting way.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    So what's this technological advantage that they are scrambling to bring into the field? It can't be the Krenim weapon as that one has already been used and afterwards everyone was all "Eh, let's not do that again..."
    If the temporal prime directive is being invoked, it has to be another form of time travel.

I think we're going back to participate in the bombardment of Iconia only to realize the Iconians weren't so bad at the time. We'll save a hand few of them and become known as The Other in their culture. When they realize who we are present day, they'll ease up. L'Miren will kill T'Ket.

Beyond that, I think we'll have some involvement with Walker and his 29th century ship the Pastak.

And we'll be given the means by Walker to save the Iconians.

We know the Mirror Universe got 29th century aid defeating their Iconians including a 29th century Temporal Dreadnought Carrier, gifted to them by their future selves. I think we will as well, although we might get a slightly different carrier.

Heck, my prediction is:

We'll get a 30 day login event to unlock the Prime Universe Temporal Carrier (which will be sold later for Lobi with console and available in Fleet quality without console) and the Mirror Temporal Dreadnought will be introduced as a lockbox ship, probably in a Mirror Universe themed lockbox. Able to equip old timeship consoles, MAYBE Krenim consoles, and with a new synergy bonus for owners of the Lobi/Event T6 Temporal Science Carrier and Terran Temporal Dreadnought carrier.
  • Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2015

After this news, do you know :

- the launch date of the episode ? no.
    - The rewards of the episode ? no.
    - The length of the initial run (mission playable by lvl 10+ characters instead of lvl60-only) ? No.

But you do know :

- the title of the episode : every person who used to go to a now-defunct source knows the title for months.
    - That ESD is gonna be half-destroyed : every one of us who has seen the season 11 trailer knows that for weeks now.

It could be still in planing... Episode 7 was announced like 10 months before it's release... I think the main goal of that video was just to get people hyped up. A future video or post might come with further information.
  • Options
    ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

Six months already with no immersion. Were we even at war?

We could still have Red Alerts, however, and we don't. I think that is the simplest thing that they should have done - and they definitely have the tech to level-lock those if needed.

The biggest failing of the Iconian Arc is not the story-line. it might have its flaws and sometimes could have been told better. But no, the real problem is that the mis-match between game-play and lore here. The lore says we're deep in our necks in a war we seem to be losing - but we are not seeing it anywhere, unless you purposefully queue up for a war queue or enter a war mission.​​
    There were the PvE queues that told the story nicely.

• Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This Hype Train must be stopped , no matter the cost !!!

http://i.imgur.com/0WpMWCV.gif
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    You know why the quality of this blog post was so bad and uninformative?

Trendy is still on vacation!

Bring Trendy home!

Now, really... Glad it's over... Let's get on with it. It'll be four weeks worth of this episode, one week for each of four rewards that no one will really want (unless it'll include another 360° arc beam)... Then we'll get a new season and more content, somewhat concerning exploration and pew pew... It'll resemble Star Trek enough to keep most of us here...

Bring it on!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    I can see a burning ESD in the announcement for the Iconian War's Finale. (http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9539173-star-trek-online:-announce-iconian-war-finale-episode)

Does this mean we get another ESD revamp? :P

Not likely. It does mean we finally get to see the conclusion to a great 5 year run though and hopefully the start of another great 5 year run.

Frankly, the announcement is a bit ominous. Definitely scary if you've been playing all the way through to this point from 5 years ago. It's like going in knowing full well you might not be coming back. I'd be more concerned that somehow in this finale we might find some of us losing our Captains, crews, and ships on a permanent basis. Sort of the species 8472 version of life, if you know what I mean. Stovokor could be finding itself getting a bit crowded and the Federation missing a few members.

God's speed. TO VICTORY! QAPLA'!

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Six months already with no immersion. Were we even at war?​​
    See devs? This is what happens when you try to present elements of a persistent world to storylines with "the player" as the hero. You can't play current events up because not all players are at that point in the story, so the persistent world aspect of the game suffers.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I'm just hoping this one won't be as short as other episodes, I was hoping there would be double episodes like we had at the start of the Iconian war season. Two to start, two to end, but it looks like this is going to be expedited unfortunately.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yep - as guljarol said, non-glow Iconian in poster pic - we are SO going back in time.

With Janeway none the less! I think one of the prior war tales hinted at that quite strongly, we'll probably use the same temporal tech Janeway used at the end of the Voyager series.

OH NO! IT'S THE END OF STO! :o

:: runs around in a panic ::

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    We know the Mirror Universe got 29th century aid defeating their Iconians including a 29th century Temporal Dreadnought Carrier, gifted to them by their future selves.

I appear to have missed this fact...
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    I think it would have been easy enough to have a copy/paste 'war galaxy' that you enter after starting the Iconian War episodes (level 60 only) and can't leave until finishing all episodes therein. This 'war galaxy' would contain trashed worlds and Iconian Red Alerts. For realism (and ease of dev time), the only worlds and bases available would be ESD, Qo'nos, and New Romulus - each mirroring the events in the War (Qo'nos being trashed for instance). No other worlds or bases would be available (because they're either burning or under attack) - the Exchange, Bank, Mail, etc. systems would all still work normally so the character isn't entirely isolated. The only missions available would be the official war missions or those Foundry missions directly tied to the war. It would make sense there would be few other player captains...err sorry, admirals...around in this 'war galaxy' because...umm, lots of people are supposed to be dead...so you would see less people.

Sure, it would be a royal pain to have a character 'locked' in this galaxy until the war is finished - but that's war - and it sure as hell would finally feel like they were immersed in the desperate struggle Cryptic are trying to portray - something you have to fight through to the end to have peace again. (your alts would still be in the 'normal' galaxy so you could still have normal gameplay)
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    So what's this technological advantage that they are scrambling to bring into the field? It can't be the Krenim weapon as that one has already been used and afterwards everyone was all "Eh, let's not do that again..."
    If the temporal prime directive is being invoked, it has to be another form of time travel.

I think we're going back to participate in the bombardment of Iconia only to realize the Iconians weren't so bad at the time. We'll save a hand few of them and become known as The Other in their culture. When they realize who we are present day, they'll ease up. L'Miren will kill T'Ket.

Beyond that, I think we'll have some involvement with Walker and his 29th century ship the Pastak.

And we'll be given the means by Walker to save the Iconians.

We know the Mirror Universe got 29th century aid defeating their Iconians including a 29th century Temporal Dreadnought Carrier, gifted to them by their future selves. I think we will as well, although we might get a slightly different carrier.

Heck, my prediction is:

We'll get a 30 day login event to unlock the Prime Universe Temporal Carrier (which will be sold later for Lobi with console and available in Fleet quality without console) and the Mirror Temporal Dreadnought will be introduced as a lockbox ship, probably in a Mirror Universe themed lockbox. Able to equip old timeship consoles, MAYBE Krenim consoles, and with a new synergy bonus for owners of the Lobi/Event T6 Temporal Science Carrier and Terran Temporal Dreadnought carrier.

somehow, this seems far too in depth to be false. Futurama-Fry.jpg