test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors and feedback, 2410 edition

Comments

• cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Oh, woah. It looks like posts on these forums can't be edited after a certain length of time? That complicates things considerably...

You gotta be kidding me.
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    The Kar'fi carrier pretty much only have two properly made skins.

The base skin and the romulan shield skin. The rest pretty much is base skin with changed color for the front circle and exhaust for engine or just base skin.

Why borg skin only is green there on front circle and exhaust point beats me. Proper borg skin should be green light and windows all over, with added borg patches like what all other ships gets. The fx from engine is wrong too since upper exhaust gives of red base fx while lower gives of proper borg fx.

Don't want to be rude... but it looks like an intern spent 5 min doing the skins by just changing front circle and exhaust point then went on break and forgot to fix the rest.

The changing on front circle and exhaust point change to yellow-ish is all that happens with the iconian resistance set, but at least fx from engines are correct here.

All other sets I have tried use base skin and fx for engines.

Don't take me wrong, the base skin is ok but it would be nice if other sets beside romulan one get proper skins too.
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • whatinblueblazeswhatinblueblazes Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Oh, woah. It looks like posts on these forums can't be edited after a certain length of time? That complicates things considerably...

You gotta be kidding me.

No, looks like there IS a way. Let the editing begin!
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    The tertiary hull of the Prometheus has the model changed to it's pre fixed state.

dfhJg7c.png

Bridger.png
  • cirte86cirte86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    The Tac Command Battlecruiser Warp-Effect by warp out or even by using eject warp plasma does not fit with the Position on the model. Everytime i warp out i see a green fx
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Black spots in the Delta Alliance Unimatrix Shield Array visuals on the Voth Palisade Science Vessel.
    http://i.imgur.com/SMAnMyY.jpg
    They been there for a while now, and realized no one had reported it yet.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Bump, this is still an issue on the Avenger's port nacelles.

43fz7Zs.jpg
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    As if I wasn't obnoxious enough in the graphics and sound issues section, I just wanted to spread awareness of the Bird of Prey issues.

NORMnQ7.jpg

Players who currently own the B'rotlh cannot use the skin on the new T6 Kor, Fleet T6 Kor, and Fleet T5 B'rel. I own the B'rotlh but as shown in the pic, there is no template or option to use the B'rotlh skin.

Also, the impulse thruster/exhaust is currently placed behind the ship. It is made more noticeable with reputation engines that add a glow effect to the engine as shown above.

As an aside, seeing as the Bird of Prey has models named the Koloth and the Kor already, what do you think about renaming the B'rotlh to the Kang?
    m12Pkoj.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    freakium wrote: »
    As an aside, seeing as the Bird of Prey has models named the Koloth and the Kor already, what do you think about renaming the B'rotlh to the Kang?

Yes, I had that idea and posted it on Reddit. It also has precedence, initially the B'rotlh was named D'Gammva. Also the Avenger was renamed the Sentinel when the new Avenger came out.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    Attempting to use any of the Defiant alternate skins with the redone normal Defiant skin is broken. The alternate parts do not properly align with the normal hull:

http://i.imgur.com/6lNxprY.png

The parts shown are just examples, almost all of the alternate skins are broken when paired with the 'Defiant' hull.
    7NGGeUP.png

• whatinblueblazeswhatinblueblazes Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Another round of edits entered. Keep the notes coming, guys.

I'm especially interested in any additional details on model errors and bugs found on Klingon ships, old or new.

Specifically, the Negh'var: I know they made some changes to the model, but could a Klingon ship guru check it out and see the extent of those changes?
    It's been months...C'mon Cryptic. :/

43fz7Zs.jpg
  • geekysoldiergeekysoldier Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    Or in the case of the B'rotlh, years
    DMoNDoR.jpg
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    Yeah I've been disappointed since the Kor launched that the B'rolth isn't a skin option.

T5 and T6 Bortasqu incompatibilities

After getting the new T6 KDF flagships, I can switch parts between T5 and the 3 new T6 parts. However the saucer and hulls of the T5 and T6's do no match what so ever.
    T5 Saucer with any T6 hull, or T5 hull with any T6 saucer, the point at which they connect, the seam if you will, has not been thought through at all. Multi story cliff faces appear at the join points as the T5 hull is higher at the join than the T6 saucers, or vice versa the T6 hull is lower in height than the T5 saucer.
    In both cases you can angle the camera and see inside the model of the ship.

So currently, while you can swap parts. Really only the nacells can be switched between the T5 & 6 models and still look correct.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    For the sake of bumping it up:
    The sector space models for the rom & kdf vet destroyers are still MIA.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Lots of issues with the Hestia, in my opinion. Also have some feedback on things I liked about the model. This one's a doozy.

Issues:
    • The lower hull model appears to be scaled down to a smaller size than any other lower hull model for the ship type, to a point where it doesn't even line up well with upper hull or saucer models. (The modeling on the top of the lower hull seems to indicate it had a "lip" to fit with the end of the shuttlebay on the upper hull. This is completely hidden inside the upper hull instead due to the shrunken scale of the lower hull. The modeling on the end of the upper hull also seems to indicate the "points" or "prongs" on either side of the shuttlebay were meant to fit neatly on top of the lower hull.)
    • The saucer doesn't have an auxiliary deflector array or turret hardpoints in the recesses towards the front of the hull, like the upper hull (or Prometheus saucer) does. Instead it has some glowing blue grills.
    • The upper hull barely has any escape pods whatsoever. Tactical flaw.
    • There are absolutely no connectors on any sections of the ship, such as locks for when the ship is combined, like on the Prometheus or Galaxy or Odyssey. There also aren't any turbolift or corridor connection hatches. There aren't even warp core connection ports, like on the Prometheus with its main warp core split between the upper and lower hull.
    • The ship appears to be very tactically focused in its design, which I assume is the reason for the lack of recessed larger windows, like arboretum windows on either hull. (Which I would have liked.) However, this presents a flaw with the saucer nacelles. The upper one is completely exposed, unlike the one on the Prometheus which is logically recessed into the saucer when not in use.
    • The lower nacelle on the saucer is an entirely different issue. It's positioned exactly right to conflict horribly with the position of the upper hull's battle bridge. There's enough room on both the saucer and the upper hull that the saucer's lower nacelle could be moved back a good deal into a spot where it could fit quite nicely without conflict. (Especially with a recessed spot to hold it.)
    • There's no recess in the saucer for where the upper hull's battle bridge would fit.
    • There's no recess in the lower hull where the module on the bottom of the upper hull would fit.
    • The lower hull could stand to use a small auxiliary shuttlebay, to allow some abilities to make sense. (Especially since the saucer appears to have a pair of small auxiliary shuttlebays on either side of the impulse engines, which are cool.)
    • The lower hull has no battle bridge.
    • The ship in its entirety appears to have absolutely no turret hardpoints. Not even the really cool looking newer model hardpoint.
    • The saucer only has basic cannon hardpoints. While I can understand a tactical design of recessed cannon ports, they all look the same and do not have any of that cool cannon modeling and detailing used on other newer ships.
    • The upper hull and lower hull appear to have no cannon hardpoints whatsoever.
    • The lower hull appears to be a reskin of the original model used for the Prometheus, with the tapering that leaves little room inside the hull for... anything.
    • The lower hull doesn't have impulse engine ports.
    • The positioning of the top-back phaser array hardpoints on the lower hull are a bit awkwardly positioned over other (cool looking) detailing on the model. (If the scale for the lower hull was increased to normal, these could be put on the very back of the model, just past the "lip" that looks like it was supposed to fit around the shuttlebay door on the upper hull.)
    • The two escape pods on the very front top of the saucer (on the "crash armor") are very stretched. They also look a little awkward being on the "armor plate" instead of the normal hull, but that's probably just because they're stretched awkwardly. (The "docking port" detailing on the tip of the saucer also appears to be at a bit of an awkward diagonal angle. Unless that's supposed to be a weapon hardpoint?)
    • The shuttlebay doors on the upper hull have the issue the original Prometheus model used to have, in not looking like shuttlebay doors and just using "hull plating" texture from the rest of the ship's texture file.
    • The upper hull and lower hull have no RCS thrusters whatsoever, which they would need while separated during MVAM.
    • The red glowing line at the front of the lower hull appears to be a weapon hardpoint. However, it would have... firing issues due to being so close to the hull; it would fire into the strip on the saucer just in front of it, while the ship is combined. It would make sense if the lower hull had a module towards the front where the forward torpedo launcher hardpoint is.
    • The ship has absolutely no rear torpedo launcher hardpoints, on any section of the ship.
    • There are no rear RCS thrusters on the saucer. (In fact, the only RCS thrusters on the ship at all are towards the front of the saucer on the top and bottom. And those ones look cool.)
    • The ship's phaser array hardpoints appear to use a lower detail version compared to other T6 ships, and the long arrays on the top of the saucer have stretched and squashed textures along their length.
    • The positions of the ship's name and registry number on the saucer and upper hull are positioned a little awkwardly, and they don't exist at all on the lower hull. (The name also changes to "Vector Alpha" on the saucer while separated as a pet, instead of keeping the ship's name. Presumably beta section's name becomes "Vector Beta" when separated as a pet, but the size and position of the name makes it hard to read it.)
    • The windows on the sides of the battle bridge on the upper hull are overlapped by what appear to be effects emitter hardpoints.

• The general design of the ship actually looks really cool. The saucer in particular looks great, for the most part.
    • The upper hull has a really nice battle bridge model that is shown while using MVAM. It also has a really nice auxiliary deflector array and torpedo launcher hardpoints.
    • The deflector array on the lower hull and the area around it is pretty cool.
    • The saucer has what appears to be a pair of auxiliary shuttlebays to either side of the impulse engines, which I find really cool, and makes sense for a ship that can separate and operate independently or in tandem.
    • The ship has some really cool detailing on it, where it does have detailing. The paneling and glowing effect ports on the top of the section behind the bridge, and the bottom of the saucer, are really cool. The similar glowing effect ports on the spine of the upper hull are also really cool. Were the glowing red ports supposed to be the emission ports for the Firebringer console ability effects? That would have been really cool.
    • The nacelles look really cool. (Even if I'm still not entirely sure about how the tapering on the top of the Bussard collectors looks from the side.)

Prognosis: It looks like the Hestia is the new "launch Prometheus". It even appears to use a modification of the original lower hull model, except at a lower size scale.

Also, were the red glowing effect ports along the ship (except for the lower detail lower hull, which would have been cool on it) supposed to be the emission ports for the Firebringer console ability effects? It seems weird to have the effects come out of the nacelles, since the lore from the story post on the website describes the ability as being based out of the EPS system, not the nacelles and Bussard collectors, where the effects emanate from in-game. It would make sense if the effects came from those red glowing ports all over the ship, instead, which appear to be designed for it. (And would have been awesome.)
    Post edited by novapolaris#2925 on
    Does...does Cryptic even read this thread? A lot of these problems are really minor, but annoying when it affects out favorite ships.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Yeah, I really wish that D'deridex chin would get some love. =/
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • darkkindness#2544 darkkindness Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    Does...does Cryptic even read this thread? A lot of these problems are really minor, but annoying when it affects out favorite ships.

Apparently not; I've been hunting for information about why the Excelsior and its Refit didn't get upgraded skins when the Resolute released like the Galaxy, Intrepid, Akira, Defiant, and Odyssey have... the inaccuracies versus the filming model are what keep me from flying my Excelsior variants at all times, and they make me a bit sad to look at.
    edited March 2016
    Unless it involves Tribble, I doubt they read the other parts of the forum at the moment
    DMoNDoR.jpg
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »

Apparently not; I've been hunting for information about why the Excelsior and its Refit didn't get upgraded skins when the Resolute released like the Galaxy, Intrepid, Akira, Defiant, and Odyssey have... the inaccuracies versus the filming model are what keep me from flying my Excelsior variants at all times, and they make me a bit sad to look at.

Thomas Marrone didn't make the Resolute-class, which is likely why the standard Excelsior ships didn't get any updates. It should be noted that the other ships; Akira, Galaxy, and Defiant, which he did work on where updated in his own personal spare time. So he wasn't actually paid to do that. The base Odyssey-class got model updates simply because the model had to be altered to allow component swapping with the three new variants coming out.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
    I wish the Bortasqu' had received the same treatment as the Odyssey
    DMoNDoR.jpg
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    Don't know, if it was already mentioned, but the fleet logo on the Hestia is mirrored..

20eZtvv.jpg
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • darkkindness#2544 darkkindness Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Thomas Marrone didn't make the Resolute-class, which is likely why the standard Excelsior ships didn't get any updates. It should be noted that the other ships; Akira, Galaxy, and Defiant, which he did work on where updated in his own personal spare time. So he wasn't actually paid to do that. The base Odyssey-class got model updates simply because the model had to be altered to allow component swapping with the three new variants coming out.

My better worded and less entitled question over on the reddit actually got an answer from Thomas; I'll quote and link it below for reference.
    Hey all, I would like to update the Excelsior models at some point in the future. These things can range anywhere between 50-100 hours per ship, and the Excelsior revamp would ideally mean touching BOTH versions of the Excelsior, so that definitely adds scope to the project.
    For what it's worth, I think the Excelsior models aren't in as bad shape compared to the other ships I've remastered up until now.
    I also need to balance priorities between a "backlog" of ships to remaster versus what is coming up next and anticipate which things people might prefer. Ultimately the most important thing (to me) is that since I am doing a lot of this on my own time that I don't get so burned out that I never want to do another one of these projects again, which is why I try to space them out a little bit.
    I have no idea when I'll be able to tackle the Excelsior but if it's not in the short term that's because I've got other irons in the fire that I think people would want to see as much or even more. :) (But I'm not saying what!)

reddit link
    Bump.
    No fix for any issues till now.
  • waimserwaimser Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Most of the Long Range Science Vessel parts badly need to be properly aligned.

Ill start with the Bellerephon. The large white line clearly reveals the problem.
    Its own saucer section does not even allign properly with it hull. http://i.imgur.com/MrJ3sM0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OaspK1A.jpg

This misalignment continues with all other saucer options with this hull.
    http://i.imgur.com/0QgmCu9.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/cvODwee.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SJOcYaD.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GlhTd1o.jpg
    The Pathfinder saucer is laughable http://i.imgur.com/CZEZO84.jpg

As already stated, the Pathfinder part alignment is laughable. How are they able to charge money for something this bad.
    http://i.imgur.com/CojZ2K6.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jIZllUT.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9zk7LZo.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/PtQrrdj.jpg
    As seen in this example any other saucer mixed with the Pathfinder hull results in a comically long ship.
    http://i.imgur.com/M7oWOjO.jpg

It is clear where the other saucer models are intended to mesh with the Pathfinder hull, indicated by the lip on the hull before it continues forward. The saucer sections could be brought back to meet this lip without affecting obstructing any important parts of the saucer or hull. Bottom views below to show there is enough clearance.
    http://i.imgur.com/KZXE3qs.jpg This one is the only one where the clearance would be tight but it should still work.
    http://i.imgur.com/Qy1Z1uV.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/FxkrpXJ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/WJ3OE9e.jpg

The Pathfinder Hull just looks comical sitting perched like a bird on top of the other hulls. The model could be moved down without much problem on all of the hulls. At worst it would cover up some windows and maybe torpedo bays. With how unrealisticly positions the torpedo bays are placed, I doubt anyone would miss them.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ax7jSpF.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ulyOrfv.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/loMGaqK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GEKXG8p.jpg

Seriously. Who lets this through and thinks it is even remotely OK?
    http://i.imgur.com/3UcgI8w.jpg

There are other problems with the models too, but its a long post already and quite frankly Im bored of reviewing combinations when someone who is getting paid should be doing it.
    I started looking at these combos because I was interrested an getting the T6 Pathfinder to play through on a second character, but every combo of parts I might want to use has glaring problems that I just could not live with.
  • darkknightucfdarkknightucf Member Posts: 1,546 Media Corps
    Is the original list up-to-date?
    @Odenknight | U.S.S. Challenger | "Remember The Seven"
    Fleet Defiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support | Fleet Manticore Kinetic Strike Ship | Tactical Command Kinetic Siege Refit | Fleet Defiant Quantum Phase Escort | Fleet Valiant Kinetic Heavy Fire Support
    Turning the Galaxy-X into a Torpedo Dreadnought & torpedo tutorial, with written torpedo guide.
    "A good weapon and a great strategy will win you many battles." - Marshall
    I knew using Kinetics would be playing the game on hard mode, but what I didn't realize was how bad the deck is stacked against Kinetics.
    So, yeah....
    Model issues keep piling up and no fixes in sight.
    No B'Rotlh skin for endgame bops, ghost ship Kar'fi, klingon flagships miss their T6 & upgrade hull materials and there are issues with the bort parts + pretty much everything else from the previous pages of this thread. :/
    edited June 2016
    I give it a few more years before the KDF getting any sort of real attention. I've pretty much given up on the KDF getting anything worth customizing. Just enjoy the almost non-existant customization options and half invisible ships for the time being.Also, I believe it's been over 5 years since the K'tinga has had nacelle glow.
    DMoNDoR.jpg
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    I give it a few more years before the KDF getting any sort of real attention. I've pretty much given up on the KDF getting anything worth customizing. Just enjoy the almost non-existant customization options and half invisible ships for the time being.Also, I believe it's been over 5 years since the K'tinga has had nacelle glow.

Warbirds don't even have fleet markings. lol
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png