test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should the coming Armada system allow cross-faction groupings of fleets?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    Yes! We're all allied now anyway!
    Just because the game has folks allied, doesn't mean it has folks united.

I think this statement is true, as i am seeing it in game. In time, armadas will break down, due to poor leadership from ONE fleet in the armada.

My personal issue with the armada system is you opened the door again, for hardworking, actual players, ( not exploiters/macro users ) to get screwed over again, by potentially, ( wont happen in our armada, im just saying this.. ) recruitng a fleet with JUST inactive leaders, who do not encourage their own members to play with the larger group in the Armada.

People who do know a lot in the game, tend to forget, this game is not yer typical lets play for a month and we experiance everything, type of MMO, this game DOES take time, and investment, and there is only one way out of that.... Spending a lot of money, and ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    nucaeks wrote: »
    I think I don't really understand the Romulan aspect of this. Fleets are either KDF or Federation. There is no such thing as a "Romulan Fleet" outside of restricting membership to those of the Romulan race. To expect a wholesale cross faction fleet system for the sake of one race seems pretty demanding.​​

As I said previously, the RRF does not consist of a single race. But as for your contention that there is no such thing as a Romulan fleet, why do we have three distinct fleet administrative fora?

Look:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/fleet-administrative-station

Note in particular:
    "New Romulus
    Romulan Fleet Recruitment"

You win with the RRF point of view, and here is my idea on how to complete the RRF faction, ad fix it so they can add more factions down the road like a Cardassian Dominion, basically using whats in the game now.

Cut Romulan faction Holding resource, contribution requirements in half, and similar but smaller faction buffs given that faction a chance to catch up to current tier 5 fed and KDF fleets. Give KDF fleets the choice of a daily "BUFF" of say something similar in the research labs week long buffs, as dailies, and give the feds some form project that rewards an easier way to gain contraband. Like a Duty officer assingment unlock. The romulans can have ALL three factions buffs.

All your going to need to do here, is fix the scimitar as the best ship in the game, as it has 5 for 5 tac console and hanger bay, well, you come out with FED/KDF skins for those ships....

Make sure the "daily" buff projects cost about the amount of a tier 4-5 projects from the starbase, so its not easy for a person to just "solo it"...make it teamwork required yah know.... And keep in mind, due to simple math, only a daily can be rolling, every other day because of the 20-24 hour cooldown lol.

Make the armada system cross faction...and boom, it would quite frankly, for the larger groups anyway, allow an actual full on full allied armada system. Easier for Romulan fleets to get caught up with the tier 5's in the game, current fleets with Romulans only may not like to have to start over at half the cost, but to be that dedicated to a Romulan faction, most probably would not mind. ( giving them bonusus and such to projects/exp/currency ), and all the while giving an incentive to the KDF and FED side of things as well, balancing out, and fixing this half-TRIBBLE, never can add another complete faction idea.

Yah cant tell me you cannot add new projects or "week long" or "day long" buffs to current holdings either..... they just nerfed tier 5 projects, and have the bonuses in the Research lab i am talking about now as week long buffs.

Then, keeping with the formula, you can add new factions at will. The devs would just need to make a FED/KDF/ROMULAN ship lockbox or an EVENT WORTH IT type ship... type deal, where the equivalent of the JHSS, JHAS, JHDC, JHEC, or the Galor can be gained, to balance out those factions. Federation Typhoon/Jupiter in a lockbox/lobi store anyone? Tier 6 Scimitar on your federation captain? Fly around in a KDF ship as a Romulan ( got no idear what the KDF version of a tier 6 scimitar might be lol ). This opens up the end game as well... and makes it so you guys dont appear to be a buncha money grubbing SOBs to the mean kids that dont realize hey, buisness is buisness, while, doing buisness.....

This would also make it viable to share cross-faction outfits for free or, perhaps, from BUYING them from holding tailors for a price, or certain ones, put cross faction styles into the z-store for a price.

From this formula, i would, buy dilithium, buy keys, open lockboxes, and dump a buncha stuff into something new and interesting, all while basically YOU GUYS are giving the players what they want, by utilizing whats already in the game, minus the new ships as playable.

And oh hey, fix PVP.... add new maps and give it a reward, just give 8k or something small amount of EC on the ground so people cannot exploit the dilithium you would get from space PVP.... BOOM..... you'll draw back players you have lost in droves. PVP matches can just be called, "simulations"... and it fixes yer PVP reputaion issue you had awhile back.

All the while, people are spending money on the game again in droves.... paying ti fix the damn servers....

Just make sure winners and losers get something.... but the winners get more of it.

Each new faction is the grind, and you guys come out with new dev created content at will whether it be faction based or a cross faction featured episode. End game players can also just play the fricken game with a choice to grind the new content or not.

The only rep you'll ever need to add would be a pvp rep too...... there is enough gear in the rep systems per toon to make it viable "grind" of time consuming effort... people cannot easily P2p and loose interest in the game easily.

Post edited by tamujiin on
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    mrtshead wrote: »
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yeah, an overwhelming majority of 200 people. 1f644-unicode-example.png

I'm not saying this because of our oposing stance on this particular issue, but to imply the relevance of a random poll cretaed by players that only 250 people participated in is laughable. It not even near enough in numbers to pass as a representative expample.

Actually, for this kind of binary poll 250 people is between a 90% and 95% confidence interval. People always assume that you need much larger numbers for representative sampling than you really do. In fact, if this were a rating scale (say, "how useful would cross faction armadas be, on a 1-10 scale?") then 250 people would be enough to have a 95% CI, which is standard for a lot of statistical work.

A better argument to be making is that the sample or forum goers is skewed in a significant way, because it's a self-selected poll, but going purely by the numbers, it's a valid sample.

You do need the polling to be RANDOM and REPRESENTATIVE to make those assertions, although I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't get similar results.

That doesn't mean it's a given that Cryptic needs to do it. A random and representative poll would probably have a majority support Cryptic giving every player $10 as well. Even assuming they had the money, spending it that way might not make much sense.

And yet, the cost of implementing a system is important. There's the question of how they'll make it back.

What about cross faction armadas would increase Cryptic's profits or increase participation enough to warrant it?

I'm not saying it could never be done but I think there needs to be an answer to that question. If Armadas have a lot of empty slots, that might justify it. If somebody at Cryptic devised a massive armada holding with massive sinks, that might help justify it.

I think it's a good idea but I also doubt we'll see this until Cryptic gets back into the faction code to add a fourth faction... And I think that will probably be... Oh... Expansion after next? Or maybe the next expansion depending on how far out it is.
  • Options
    noybmannoybman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    What about cross faction armadas would increase Cryptic's profits or increase participation enough to warrant it?

I'm not saying it could never be done but I think there needs to be an answer to that question. If Armadas have a lot of empty slots, that might justify it. If somebody at Cryptic devised a massive armada holding with massive sinks, that might help justify it.

I think it's a good idea but I also doubt we'll see this until Cryptic gets back into the faction code to add a fourth faction... And I think that will probably be... Oh... Expansion after next? Or maybe the next expansion depending on how far out it is.

This is exactly what I was posting about earlier. This is one of those topics where I'm a little "wtf'd" about those that are arguing quite strongly AGAINST Cross Faction, its not like you are forced to do it. If your fleet wants to be a purist KDF only, so be it. That's your prerogative. If your fleet is interested in cross faction, then once again, its your prerogative.

Cryptic **ALREADY IMPLEMENTED** an Armada system. They didn't ask if it was ok, they didn't default your fleet to auto reject invites, they added a menu system option where you can quite easily invite a fleet to an armada on accident. So its safe to say, THEY WANT us to unite (for better or worse), and they obviously saw some "green" at the end of this tunnel.

So the faction system &the required fleet contribs are "the same materials" on either faction (and the exchange already allows a player to buy cross faction DOFFs); so there really isn't any new magic for allowing Cross faction armadas. Just remove the "is fleet same allegiance" logic check.

So if Big KDF wants to bootstrap small FED, or vice-versa, OR Big FED wants to align with BIG KDF, do you really care??? All of the gameplay can stand as it is, unchanged. Some players may invest in all alts, and in turn create NEW alts, on cross faction fleets. [Didn't Cryptic's Delta Recruit event prove they want MORE characters & player population even if the same people?]

At the end of the day, opening MORE outlets for resource sinks is a win for those needing FC, its a win for small fleets finding it hard to grow, and its a win for Cryptic because spending resources = grind/buy more resources. Its even a win for big fleets who's members are begging for Fleet Mark dumps - its all in how you manage the Armada options.

Perhaps some elitist mindsets of a few people, or some big fleets feel threatened by the growth in "competition" but seriously why? If your fleet is a fun place to be and well managed, and your members like you, its not like they have a reason to leave. The lifespan of players enjoyment in this game seems short before they move on. Might as well make it easier for them to "play both sides of the fence" and maybe spend more money before they move on.

Arguments against the Armada system from a social perspective isn't going to be faction dependent. That's all in the management and quality of members.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    No! Separatism all the way!
    tamujiin wrote: »
    So guess what, tehbubbaloo? Multifaction fleet networks are already a thing. Cross-faction armadas would just give us an extra feature to use. My Feds and Fed Rom in Strike Team Alpha have all kinds of stuff they could donate to House of Alphas to help the currently T1 fleet make rent, stuff I can barely use in STA because we've got 400-some-odd members all competing to earn fleet credits.

What are you afraid is going to happen? It's not like we're asking to put elite fleet disruptors on our Feds.
    obviously cross-faction multifleet networks already exist. beautiful is one in itself. what we arent demanding is the ability to play one faction while nation-building the other.

protogoth wrote: »
    How, exactly, does that help small fleets? It helps members of small fleets, yes (I myself have benefitted from personal friendship with members of maxed-out fleets, not the "Free T5 Starbase access for all!" fleets). But if they don't have to work to help build their own fleets, and can simply go to someone in a maxed-out fleet to get the stuff they want, what incentive do they have to contribute to their own fleet?
    it helps small fleets by disincentivizing their members from leaving the fleet. small fleet members are able to kit themselves out without needing to abandon the fleet in search of higher tiered holdings. they contribute to their own small fleet in order to generate fleet credit to be spent in higher tiered stores. its a huge win for small fleets.
    \
    SO your saying there at the end, you would dictate how a person plays, as a leader in your fleet/armada? What if jim bob IS an unsociable slob who is poor at typing and does not want to play "elite" style, and just wants to play his own way? That is assuming jim bob is NOT a fleet leader in an armada.... and wants nothing to do with leading. But wait, jim bob is on SS and spends all his money on MMO's, and likes to contribute dilithium.... I bet you would kiss that type of players behind.
    im not entirely sure what it is you are extrapolating.

​​