test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should the coming Armada system allow cross-faction groupings of fleets?

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    No! Separatism all the way!
    where2r1 wrote: »
    IF Cryptic should allow CROSS FACTION ARMADAS….it would set up a very poisonous atmosphere in this game.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Story:

A high level KDF ARMADA ….needs more Gammas. They grab several low level, incomplete fleets (that have plenty of active players) from the FED side for their purposes.

Wouldn’t FED ARMADAS feel the pinch for lack of working fleets?

Probably not, because of "numbers".

BUT…. think on this:
    ISN’T THIS what you are asking the KDF players to suffer through?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think some of the premise of “cross faction ARMADAS” is actually about gaining an advantage for alternate characters of Fed players. Connecting to “Sister Fleets” so they can gain growth and access to what they need for themselves in the Fed Fleet.

This is NOT community building on the KDF side at all.

It is a sad thing to see. Doing this under the guise of being altruistic toward the “poor” KDF fleets. Under the guise of building "interest" in the KDF and Romulan factions.

When in reality what they are "seeing" and "thinking" is: Access to everything with the least amount of interaction with those OUTSIDE the group we play with already.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think most KDF fleets are self reliant (as in does not need infusions from FED) and know we don’t have to spend our resources on our holdings. So, we don't. Thanks to fully leveled fleets that are open and public about helping us out.

Let us, the KDF players, make our own alignments, and help each other without interference from all this Federation “good will”.

(Still, have not read this entire thread, and I don't have time.....but I think this all needed to be said.)

Edit...oops wrote "Fleet" where I meant to say "Armada".

Spot on!
    giphy.gif
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Here's a question for you, tehbubbaloo: What about your own Fed spinoff fleet? If this does go through, are you planning to stick to your guns and not invite House of Beautiful -ufp- into the fold?
    HoBF (beautiful feds ;) ) is already part of the fold. it uses the same rank structure, the same protocols, the same global channel, etc. the only differences are that it was built by feds and is populated by feds. despite not having a whole lot of feddie toons or fed mojo we still managed to build that base. we didnt need cross-faction donations so we could play one faction while building the other. and you dont either.

​​
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    What kind of growth and access do the fed fleets gain from adding to the kdf projects? Seriously?
    ​​

I am pretty sure you already figured out how a fleet can have an advantage in the Armada system.

And if there are no advantages: why bother to have cross faction fleets??? It would be a moot point.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    What kind of growth and access do the fed fleets gain from adding to the kdf projects? Seriously?
    ​​

I am pretty sure you already figured out how a fleet can have an advantage in the Armada system.

And if there are no advantages: why bother to have cross faction fleets??? It would be a moot point.

Maybe you should invest the time to read the thread. You might learn that every fleet in an Armada can block or allow contributions, and that access to fleet stores is not on the table. As for "why bother?," I'm tired of explaining that the RRF has fleets of both alliances and that some of us have RRF fleets of both alliances that we would like to bring under one system. Again, invest the time to read what has been said before you make a decision based on bias, emotion, and lack of information.
  • Options
    protogoth wrote: »
    Ahh, there it is, someone's worried that a certain soup kitchen front will lose its attraction and thus usefulness.

My fleet is currently a Level 8... in the new system it will be a Level 21.

We are not a part of NoP or HOBO or the Public Service Channel's open Fleet "soup kitchen", as you call it.

It would, actually, benefit the fleet I am in, if the public channels stay up and running and strong.

I think it would be disingenuous of anyone to say: No one in MY FLEET ever used a free, public channel to buy gear. There are too many bottlenecks to accessing the highest level gear built into the fleet system....of either Cryptic or fleet leaders doing.

+++++++++++++++++

And, I hope you, at least, perused over my previous post....regarding a way that could make that Romulan Fleet possible for you.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Here's a question for you, tehbubbaloo: What about your own Fed spinoff fleet? If this does go through, are you planning to stick to your guns and not invite House of Beautiful -ufp- into the fold?

OF course, they will. It would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

The reason it would be wrong to have cross faction fleets in the first place.....
    is not the same argument as what to do IF they allow cross faction fleets.

• Options
    Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.
    Ahh, there it is, someone's worried that a certain soup kitchen front will lose its attraction and thus usefulness.

My fleet is currently a Level 8... in the new system it will be a Level 21.

We are not a part of NoP or HOBO or the Public Service Channel's open Fleet "soup kitchen", as you call it.

It would, actually, benefit the fleet I am in, if the public channels stay up and running and strong.

I think it would be disingenuous of anyone to say: No one in MY FLEET ever used a free, public channel to buy gear. There are too many bottlenecks to accessing the highest level gear built into the fleet system....of either Cryptic or fleet leaders doing.

+++++++++++++++++

And, I hope you, at least, perused over my previous post....regarding a way that could make that Romulan Fleet possible for you.

Please attribute quotes to the right people. I never said that; it was a quote within my post.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Yes! We're all allied now anyway!
    Please attribute quotes to the right people. I never said that; it was a quote within my post.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell on this new forum who said what, without the forum enhancements. I don't use them because I don't want to mess with it, but it definitely does mean an extra effort to make sure I know who said what.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I am not going to try to figure out what this Vanilla forum is doing to quotes. They have had problems with it from the get go.

(edit: I did go backwards afterwards and found the comment...and the quotation on the post is screwed up)

++++++++++++++++

I have read the official Armada thread in the Tribble Test folder. I have seen how blocking works. I could not figure it out by just looking at comments. Comrademoco was nice enough to post the pictures for me.

I don't believe that "blocking" is going to solve problems. I believe they would cause more. Wait until Fleet Bravo figures out their dilithium requirements are slow to fill because the other Fleets have outgoing dilithium blocked.

But that is not what this thread is about.

++++++++++++++++++

I understand your point of view, protogoth.....without having to read the entire thread.

I am astute enough to see the situation the Romulans are in. I am sympathetic to your cause. Don't want to join it, but I understand it.

There is SO much that must change with the systems in the game before this can happen, though. It is going to be a while, if ever. And you will be yelling and screaming and polling in the forums until you are blue in the face, but nothing will come of it before it is time. (Take that with a grain of salt, I don't follow my own advice).

They will release an Armada system that will cater to the largest common denominator, then adjust it as they have time and money to.

I am sure there are many, many, many things (big and small) Cryptic wants to change. Everywhere in this game. Changes seem to be prioritized to complete things that would impact the most players, first.

Right now, they are trying to shore up those large fleets and the ship yards.

++++++++++++++++++++

And, frankly, I feel you are on the wrong mission.
    YOU WANT TO BUILD A COMMUNITY.
    That can not happen in this Armada system.

This system is set up for the individual (or individual fleets) to think of themselves ahead of the whole.

You (and your Romulan friends) are better off to avoid the pitfalls (and the "money pit").
    Watch from the sidelines, let the largest of the large fleets go head to head on it.
    Take advantage of the fallout...you should be in good position to since: both factions.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015

No I haven't. Please enlighten me. How would fed fleets misuse kdf fleets for their own benefits? Yes, the armada system grants boni to all fleets in the armada. Top fleets gain XP, bottom fleets dil/project discounts. But again, how would a fed fleet profit at the expense of a kdf fleet in the same armada? Please keep in mind that they cannot and will not be able to use kdf shops and all, that's not even on the table. On the table is just being able to form cross-faction armadas and use the armada name instead of the fleet name (so "sister fleets" would actually be named the same) and supporting each other with projects. Even being able to visit a cross-faction fleet map is not currently on the table and it would probably break the game to include that since everything cross-fationb eing asked always gets dismissed (by devs) with "technically impossible/not feasible".

​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Well guys you can argue about this until the cows come home but if the Devs are going to be swayed based on the results of this poll then it's clear that the majority want it, and it's an overwhelming majority at that.

Yeah, an overwhelming majority of 200 people. 1f644-unicode-example.png

I'm not saying this because of our oposing stance on this particular issue, but to impy the relevance of a random poll cretaed by players that only 250 people participated in is laughable. It not even near enough in numbers to pass as a representative expample.
    See, that's why I'm starting to be more and more against the option for everyone to create polls nowdays - they're so many of them now and at least half of them are as dumb as 'Poll:Should I brush my teeth today?' that actual polls are beginning to lose all relevance. Do I want more relevant polls done by Cryptic? Yeah, sure I do. But the option needs to be taken away from players because obviously we are not mature enough to handle that around here, so when an actually relevant poll is made by Cryptic it would be treated seriously like we did in the past.
    As usual the minority voice is loud and entitled but if a democratic system is to be observed then the Devs should take this into account when releasing or upgrading the Armada system. I ran a straw poll in our fleet and so far not a single player in any of our 3 Fed and 1 KDF fleets is against this, just most of them don't bother with the forums so wouldn't even vote. I warrant that if this poll was added to the launch screen then the majority would be even higher than it is here.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the minority voice being loud in this thread, if you really look at it you'll see that the majority voice has been much louder. And this default discrediting of opinions by labeling people as 'vocal minority' is getting pretty old people, you need to switch tunes to keep it fresh. It's the sort of thing that creates a real mess in RL situations, luckily this is only a game.

The poll you did or claim you did in your fleet bears no relevance as evidence in an environment where our illustrious devs and CMs are hand-wavingly discrediting even the Steam population as a representative example of the actual game popualtion.

Take into consideration that I'm just pointing facts for the sake of facts, not ranting because of our oposing views on the topic. I completely understand your stance and where you come from regardless of my oposing stance on this. Still, if a dev, borticus in this case, stated that implementing something like this would be problematic - I'd rather take it as it is then forcefully experiment and go through another fiasco such as the broken loadout system or the lag inducing command abilities that would break the game once again.

HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    EDITED: Crazy fortum double post.
    Post edited by shpoks on
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yeah, an overwhelming majority of 200 people. 1f644-unicode-example.png

I'm not saying this because of our oposing stance on this particular issue, but to imply the relevance of a random poll cretaed by players that only 250 people participated in is laughable. It not even near enough in numbers to pass as a representative expample.

Actually, for this kind of binary poll 250 people is between a 90% and 95% confidence interval. People always assume that you need much larger numbers for representative sampling than you really do. In fact, if this were a rating scale (say, "how useful would cross faction armadas be, on a 1-10 scale?") then 250 people would be enough to have a 95% CI, which is standard for a lot of statistical work.

A better argument to be making is that the sample or forum goers is skewed in a significant way, because it's a self-selected poll, but going purely by the numbers, it's a valid sample.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    Of course it should. After all, some fleets have sister/daughter-fleets for the other faction. That we are now officially allied is all the more reason.

And especially since we should pool ressources together as we are -apparently- loosing the war -albeit I cant really see much evidence ingame for it, just half-assed story writing on the gamesite- we should work closely together.
  • Options
    i think he would have died of shock if the poll had gone any other way.
    i know i would have.​​
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Cryptic will do what it wants to do, and the better question is whether they'll actually finish doing it to a completed product, or just dump it haphazard and half finished like they do everything else.

Certainly something to consider. Along with what else could break as a result of the changes.​​
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hmm, I dare say if the results were reversed and the sample supported your view point you'd have stated that this is a significant number to have a reasonable confidence in the results. As it's against your view I would indeed expect you to make the arguments you did. Nevertheless, if the decision would be based on the results of this poll, you lost.

You can say whatever you want as long as you stick to PWE/Cryptic's TOS. ;) That wouldn't make you right though, I'm fully aware that the quality of forumites here has gone down the drain in the past couple of years so your implication doesn't really come as a suprise to me (heck, I may even make the same assumption myself a lot of times given the previously mentioned), however I'm not such a hypocrite to interpret same results differently when they go my way - I would be saying the same thing.
    In adition, there's the thing mrtshead mentioned about the probability of the sample of forumites being somewhat skewed in regards to this poll, which I agree with.

Regardless of that, I'm fully aware that no matter my perception of this particular poll due to any of the reasons mentioned before, the general desire of most of the STO players would be the same choice you made here. Given how the population is dispersed and the population diversity in STO, plus the history of the game model as well as the current reality of the game makes that pretty much a no-brainer, with or without polls on the topic.
    And if they made their game decisions based on this or similar polls, that would mean someone's smoking the crack pipe at Cryptic.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    noybmannoybman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I vote yes.

I know Cryptic likes money, so let me give you a clear reason to say yes:

More avenues for donations, more resources spent, more resources spent, more time playing & spending $. By not allowing cross faction armadas and even cross faction map play, you are artificially stifling a % of your game population. People who are KDF *ONLY* can only make fleet credit on KDF (and vice-versa). They are limited to whats available to them.

Open cross faction up, and fleets will get to T5 sooner, more resources will be spent, and people (even if only on ALTS), will spend $ to get FSMs for their KDF alt so they can have "that next great ship" on every one of their toons.

So financially PWE.... its hands down a no brainer.

PS: Lets face it, even gaming side of things alone, people have their favorite faction, might as well give them an option to fall in love with all factions, and spend money on all factions. Seriously, this is a no brainer.
  • Options
    noybman wrote: »
    I vote yes.

I know Cryptic likes money, so let me give you a clear reason to say yes:

More avenues for donations, more resources spent, more resources spent, more time playing & spending $. By not allowing cross faction armadas and even cross faction map play, you are artificially stifling a % of your game population. People who are KDF *ONLY* can only make fleet credit on KDF (and vice-versa). They are limited to whats available to them.

Open cross faction up, and fleets will get to T5 sooner, more resources will be spent, and people (even if only on ALTS), will spend $ to get FSMs for their KDF alt so they can have "that next great ship" on every one of their toons.

So financially PWE.... its hands down a no brainer.

PS: Lets face it, even gaming side of things alone, people have their favorite faction, might as well give them an option to fall in love with all factions, and spend money on all factions. Seriously, this is a no brainer.

Thanks for your support, but ... could you actually vote in the poll, please?
  • Options
    noybmannoybman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    noybman wrote: »
    I vote yes.

Thanks for your support, but ... could you actually vote in the poll, please?

"oops?" --> vote has been cast
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Didn't Geko mention on the P1 Interview at Vegas that they're working on trying to get Armadas to be Cross-faction???
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    Didn't Geko mention on the P1 Interview at Vegas that they're working on trying to get Armadas to be Cross-faction???

I dunno, didn't watch it yet, but I hope so.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    That would be nice. Even if it's mostly broken when released it's a step in the right direction.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    i believe geko said something to the effect of 'id like to see it happen some day'. with any luck that will be after the big pvp revamp and the returns of exploration, dome, and no-win.​​
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Stop assuming that people don't actually play on both sides. We do. You do as well, or at least you have a Fed-side fleet which you were hawking along with your KDF-side fleet in the thread about lining up for armada alliances. Yeah, they're both T5 Starbases. That's not relevant. Apparently even in your own experience there are other people who actually play on both sides. THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ARMADA SYSTEM is to help other fleets, not to insulate elite fleets.
    the difference is that i am willing to login fedside and do what i need to do to get the fleet to progress, even though i dont enjoy fed. what im not doing is demanding some sort of mechanism that will allow me a t5 fed starbase without logging in fed-side.

Im not saying that how you play is bad, but i would word that differently, you log into your feds, because its easier to park them next to a security guard on esd, and turn in contraband, then it is to fly 20 klingons to ds9 and leave them there.

It would be easier for a large group of players, who play together in an armada/fleet to have the best of both worlds, by allowing a KDF fleet into a federation armada. The RRF, well, everyone has a Romulan ALT. So either argument, is valid, but i say yes, either way.... Armadas need to be cross faction.

• Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    So guess what, tehbubbaloo? Multifaction fleet networks are already a thing. Cross-faction armadas would just give us an extra feature to use. My Feds and Fed Rom in Strike Team Alpha have all kinds of stuff they could donate to House of Alphas to help the currently T1 fleet make rent, stuff I can barely use in STA because we've got 400-some-odd members all competing to earn fleet credits.

What are you afraid is going to happen? It's not like we're asking to put elite fleet disruptors on our Feds.
    obviously cross-faction multifleet networks already exist. beautiful is one in itself. what we arent demanding is the ability to play one faction while nation-building the other.

How, exactly, does that help small fleets? It helps members of small fleets, yes (I myself have benefitted from personal friendship with members of maxed-out fleets, not the "Free T5 Starbase access for all!" fleets). But if they don't have to work to help build their own fleets, and can simply go to someone in a maxed-out fleet to get the stuff they want, what incentive do they have to contribute to their own fleet?
    it helps small fleets by disincentivizing their members from leaving the fleet. small fleet members are able to kit themselves out without needing to abandon the fleet in search of higher tiered holdings. they contribute to their own small fleet in order to generate fleet credit to be spent in higher tiered stores. its a huge win for small fleets.
    \
    SO your saying there at the end, you would dictate how a person plays, as a leader in your fleet/armada? What if jim bob IS an unsociable slob who is poor at typing and does not want to play "elite" style, and just wants to play his own way? That is assuming jim bob is NOT a fleet leader in an armada.... and wants nothing to do with leading. But wait, jim bob is on SS and spends all his money on MMO's, and likes to contribute dilithium.... I bet you would kiss that type of players behind.