test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma Explosion Embassy Consoles - BFAW & Crits

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    However, all of you saying that they should leave the broken item work in a broken manner until all the other places it's bugged for

The plasma explosions were SUPPOSED to crit in FAW. That was intended.

They are supposed to also crit under other circumstances, but dont.

So by making them not crit under FAW they are taking a partially working item... and making it a completely broken item.

Also they are lowing the over all damage the consoles do... because reasons...

​​

^^ Exactly! They were once broken, then Bort took a look at them, and carefully explained why he made the proc the way it currently is.... And now he's nerfing them again, for 70% no less, because reasons.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    praxi5 wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    deokkent wrote: »
    PvPers are so gonna take the hit/heat for this. They should hide. Or leave the game.

Oh, I get it. PvPers are the scape goat.

No EMOJ, just the facts: people screamed for a nerf, and 8 pages later, they got their wish -- severely so, even: the consoles are now utterly worthless.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

It was stated in the thread you're alluding to, and I will re-state it here, again.

The problem was never the fact that these consoles could Crit, it was a matter of how hard they Crit.

This solution isn't desirable for anyone. I sincerely believe that they should have fixed it so that it properly Crit under effects other than FAW, but reduced the Crit values themselves.

Regardless, you are blindly just exaggerating - the consoles are far from worthless. You're still getting free damage from a console whose modifier you'd likely use even without it (Flow and PrtG). It's not as much free damage, but it is still free damage.

For starters, Bort meant for those consoles to crit that hard, and had gone at great length explaining why he had turned their proc into what it is today. At that point, there were simply WAI. The fact that they accidentally didn't crit on CRF was just an oversight that should have been fixed. From Bort's response here, it looks, though, that, even at the time, he knew full well they could never crit on CRF/CSV.

As for 'still free damage', I think I'm probably better off fitting something like a PrtG [EPS] console instead now (that is extra 'free damage' too). The opportunity cost of these consoles is pretty high to begin with: gratuitously slotting 3 of those, unless you're specifically doing a PrtG Science thingy, I fear will no longer be an option for me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Hmmmm.

Luckily I only have one of these consoles on one character, having not jumped fully aboard this particular bandwagon yet.

So I speak from essentially a none-user of these consoles however I have to agree about the timing of this. An absolute fortune in Dilithium and EC must have been dumped on these consoles by players over the upgrade weekend. "Accidentally" missing out the patch notes on this is just plain disgusting.

No matter how this is argued, either as better to nerf or leave as WAI, you have essentially mislead your player base by the omission of these notes. A lot of people sank resources into these and now feel suckered. I think justifiably so.

If you continue with this action the question becomes WHEN will this be addressed and the status quo restored? If man power is currently an issue then is this going to be long term? The use of the word "temporary" should really be investigated by Temporal Investigations.

Trust is severely dented here.
    server_hamster6.png
  • fletchervansefletchervanse Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Guess cryptic made enough cash from them, now time to move along and spend more cash on somethings else to fill all those empty slots isn't it borticus?

Anyway thx for that answer even if it's full of bad news and confirm your way to handle bugs.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten me as to why they need all this over-the-top DPS? There is so much DPS in the game already that you don't really need this crutch to complete anything.

Also, you can all just go back to using cannons since they still work fine. There is a very smart post out there about how cannons actually deliver more damage than FAW boats firing at everything they see.

You'd think the one thing everyone would agree on is that we really don't need more damage. The content is not built for it, and the game suffers because of it. Besides being just 'something to have' none of this junk has a purpose.​​
  • jotorobojotorobo Member Posts: 27 Arc User

Guess cryptic made enough cash from them, now time to move along and spend more cash on somethings else to fill all those empty slots isn't it borticus?

Anyway thx for that answer even if it's full of bad news and confirm your way to handle bugs.

Nice.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Can someone enlighten me as to why they need all this over-the-top DPS? There is so much DPS in the game already that you don't really need this crutch to complete anything.

The onus is on the nerfer to justify why it should be taken away, not on me why I want to keep it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Totally hillarious how Borticus has come out and said we don't have the man power to fix these consoles for everyone but we do have the time write code to

A. Turn off Crit hits with fire at will
    B. Reduce the base damage of the consoles

I except time is required in fixing the whole issue in general, but he still has and found time to make these changes. Personally with all the more glaring bugs in this game what he has done is a mismanagement of manpower when there are bigger issues. LAG and Rubberbanding

I'm still waiting for them to come out and admit the Spec Trees are one of the major causes of the lag, the more points you have the more passive traits, the more numbers needed to be calculated by the server, the more chance of lag. The main cause of lack in teams with fleshed out spec trees

Companies run by a bunch of cowboys and con artists. cryptic

Con
    Rip off
    You're
    Playerbase
    Tell Lies
    Ignore
    Cackle maniacally to the bank
  • jotorobojotorobo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »

Also, you can all just go back to using cannons since they still work fine. There is a very smart post out there about how cannons actually deliver more damage than FAW boats firing at everything they see.

You'd think the one thing everyone would agree on is that we really don't need more damage. The content is not built for it, and the game suffers because of it. Besides being just 'something to have' none of this junk has a purpose.​​

Having so-called "over the top DPS" is a product of those of us who enjoy having the best builds in the game. We are DPS scientists.
    The content is built for it.
    It always amazes me when we get responses from people who seethe with jealousy at those of us who have worked for months to build a great ship that can do fantastic DPS.
    It seems as though they have nothing better to do then whine and whine about so-called OP Ships that can't be OP without the knowing how game mechanics work in the first place. Said game mechanics weren't learned overnight. They were learned after playing for many months and asking questions of others who understood such mechanics. Those of us did so, so we could ENJOY the game further in an area we like.
    Whining and claiming DPS'ers are "Elitist" is a way of "criminalizing" great players because they are either afraid to ask or are just a plain cry baby.
    I am not a criminal, never have been, and I refuse to be treated as such.
  • darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »

I assume you have never played some of the elite space maps (specifically Hive, Herald Sphere and Gates to Grehtor). You actually need all the damage you can get for those maps and this nerf will only cause that an already small amount of people being able to play and complete those getting even smaller.
  • x0rphenx0rphen Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

Crits were disabled in order to bring parity, and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included). If we had all the time in the world, we'd make it so these powers had the opportunity to land a Critical Hit regardless of your firing mode. But that is not the reality in which we live.
    Long Version:
    Because you Developers keep devaluating time/money investments many have made into this game i will from this point onward make this post my Prime Example for me and my Fleet Mates why to not spent Money and Time in this Game.

For me there is literally no reason to get anything you release in this game anymore, let alone Upgrade it through your Resource Sink because as a normal Player you wont even know if it will be any usefull a few months from when it gets released or even worth the Investment to begin with.

I hope you realize that what you are doing here is the classical Bait & Switch.
    Your try for Parity in all Honor but devaluating Player Purchases this long after it was released and praised as WAI is a big no no.

That is the Reality i see.
    Thanks for saving me money from this point on.

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    arion08 wrote: »
    Its called "reading between the lines" mate. I did not put words into your mouth but if u cant see were all your text was going then ... wow ... and gain you telling people (me) to shut up ...
    Yeah i get your point but people have different ways to deal with what they consider unjust, some will never say one word some will fight against it. Complaining about people trying to defend their investment in this game whatever if its futile or not and insulting them with funky words like "messed up in the heads" its not ok.

Cryptic messed out badly and the only ones that seem to pay the price are the players. Maybe its futile, maybe its not but it sure beats giving up or being quiet about it. When i the history of man keeping quiet about mistakes made things better ?

I think you're 'reading between the lines' a bit too much, therefore you come to the wrong conclusions.
    I never even attempted to absolve Cryptic from their responsibility in this latest fiasco. This is entirely their mess, this is entirely their responsibility and the feedback we're getting from them is just...lol :lol: I mean, they've always been somewhat of a joke in the industry, they're known for shoddy worksmanship and pushing out bugged, untested or outright broken content, but this portrays a new, never before seen level of incompetence on their behalf. The ball is in their park and their park alone on this, I have no doubt about it.

I'm not telling people to give up or be quiet about it, I'm afraid you misundersood me. What I'm telling people is that if we're going to rant, complain or protest against this - we ought to rant about them fixing the entire mess, all that is broken. What I'm seeing here is many people ranting about only a part of it that happened to benefit them, while not giving a damn that the item is broken in a couple of more places.
    That's why I used phrases like "messed up in the heads" - because people selfishly rant only about their portion of the problem and not the entire problem. People are willing to absolve Cryptic from responsibility in this mess as long as they can have their cake and eat it, while others are hungry. The others for whom the consoles wil remain broken indefinitly - who gives a damn, right? I have a sandwich, so you can't be hungry. That's messed up and my comment was spot on.

If we're going to rant, rage or protest about something - we should protest about the entire problem as a community. About yet another 'bait & switch' by Cryptic. About the laughable fact that not only this made it live in a broken state, not only it has been left live for ages, but the excuse given that they just can't do it for now.
    People should protest about Cryptic not fixing it across the board, so non-FAW/beam users can benefit as well. Instead they're not protesting against Cryptic's general incompetence - they're protesting in order to keep their advantage over players with other choices, completely disregarding the other parts of the community in the process. So that protest gains no traction with non-FAW/beam users because FAW/beam users are telling the rest to bugger off.
    Result: divided community, petty arguments between PvE & PvP, between DPS & non-DPS, between beam users and the rest. Instead of focusing our rage at Cryptic who are responsible for this mess united as a community, we divide and segregate amongst ourselves, then rage at each other while the ones responsible for the mess go have a beer. That's all I'm saying.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    Totally hillarious how Borticus has come out and said we don't have the man power to fix these consoles for everyone but we do have the time write code to

Obviously, turning off crits altogether is easier than fixing everything.

Nonetheless I must admit Bort's attitude about this irks me some. I would expect a response like that to peeps asking for a cool new feature, like: "Sorry, kiddo, sounds cool, but we don't have the time to do it." This, however, was simply part of their job: it was an already existing feature, that simply needed to have crits added to CRF/CSV as well.

Another thing that slightly annoys me, is that, apparently, Bort knew about this console not critting on cannon abilities all along. Because he essentially said adding crits to cannon abilities would require a complete rewrite of sad abilities. So, it's not just a case of 'Oops, forgot to turn on crits for cannons! My bad, here, let me turn it back on again.' More like 'If they ever find out, I'll just turn everything off.'

By the way, I absolute believe they don't have the time to fix all this. Which is why I keep saying: don't keep introducing new things when you're still way backlogged on the existing stuff.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    Great news!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    This will teach the isa dps freaks to stop buying broken toys.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Another thing that slightly annoys me, is that, apparently, Bort knew about this console not critting on cannon abilities all along. Because he essentially said adding crits to cannon abilities would require a complete rewrite of sad abilities. So, it's not just a case of 'Oops, forgot to turn on crits for cannons! My bad, here, let me turn it back on again.' More like 'If they ever find out, I'll just turn everything off.

They obviously knew about it for quite some time, they only did this now because someone made a thread about it. They knew, and they're just too lazy to fix it.. that simple.

They don't have the time to fix bugs, but they have plenty of time to churn out T6 ships every month like clockwork don't they? Bug fixes don't make money.. that simple.

The easiest way is to just completely break it and Cryptic finds that answer acceptable. Same lazy approach they took to the W -> S problem on Warp Cores. No need to take the time to put in a real fix, just put in a flat nerf across the board and TRIBBLE the players.

Honestly, I was just annoyed at this, Borts reply actually elevated me to flat out fed up. And for anyone who believes the 'temporary' part of the post.. keep dreaming.

This nerf is permanent.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User

Well, if you have the money to donate to Cryptic to hire extra programmers, then by all means.

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$. ​​

And this is why I should stop attempting logical conversation here.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    robyvision wrote: »

That's ignorant. Some players have had these consoles for a long time. These consoles aren't new. I've had mine since my fleet maxed out our embassy. This weekend I upgraded them to epic...had I known about this incoming nerf I wouldn't have bothered.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    LOL roby. If we didn't buy their toys how would they pay for hampster pellets? It would be space barbie and gabling for beagles

It was proclaimed from the roof tops as WAI. That they wouldn't be altering the consoles any further. It was an over and done deal... except for cannons and torps of course. Now here we go again after upgrading the last of em post "fix" the last time around. Shame on me for believing them. Borticus you need to go back to the dev team and say "Um, there's a riot forming outside. Maybe we should re-think this."

Spend the manpower on actually FIXING the borked portions in relation to cannons and torps. Cannon abilities need a big bump to begin with to contend with faw to warrant sacrificing a higher tier slot. Torps need to interact better with pve content to make them more viable rather than watching the target die before the projectile reaches its target every time. Add in the plasma mess and obviously this portion of code needs a complete overhaul to begin with.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    nh3rd wrote: »
    Borticus you need to go back to the dev team and say "Um, there's a riot forming outside. Maybe we should re-think this."

He doesn't give a TRIBBLE.. no one on that dev team does. You're absolutely right, but it won't happen. He doesn't care what any of us think. He comes across as a nice guy trying to do his best, but actions speak louder then words. 'Fixes' like this and the whole Warp Core W -> S approach have shown me everything I need to know. Considering the players concerns is too much work for them to bother with.

After this, I have lost all faith in anyone on that sorry excuse for a dev team, and I know I'm not the only one.
    Spend the manpower on actually FIXING the borked portions in relation to cannons and torps. Cannon abilities need a big bump to begin with to contend with faw to warrant sacrificing a higher tier slot. Torps need to interact better with pve content to make them more viable rather than watching the target die before the projectile reaches its target every time. Add in the plasma mess and obviously this portion of code needs a complete overhaul to begin with.

Again, you are absolutely.. 100% right. But again, it will fall on deaf ears because while those things are badly needed, they don't make money. That time needs to be spent cranking out more T6 ships with more broken mechanics.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    To those complaining, just compare the plasma console to the other same consoles from the embassy (hull heal and shield heal). The damage proc from the plasma ones should be balanced against the hull heal and shield heal ones. The plasma ones have always completely outperformed the other two by several orders of magnitude.
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    nikephorus wrote: »
    robyvision wrote: »

That's ignorant. Some players have had these consoles for a long time. These consoles aren't new. I've had mine since my fleet maxed out our embassy. This weekend I upgraded them to epic...had I known about this incoming nerf I wouldn't have bothered.

Yes, but only some, until DR . Usually ISA runners see you using them, or watch your bragging dps dps videos and choose to follow your lead.
    They were too good to be true. You could thought about that before you upgrade them to epic power creep.
  • lordsalslordsals Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The sensible solution is to release a future console that is specific to the weapon type in which you are trying to bring "parity". It is irresponsible to take a feature that is WAI, that players have invested in over the past months, and nerf it because reasons. At this point, I would not be surprised if the community overwhelming supported a season update just to fix the damned base code. *coughs*. I truly hope the dev team reconsiders this disastrous and bumbling line of thought.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    To those complaining, just compare the plasma console to the other same consoles from the embassy (hull heal and shield heal). The damage proc from the plasma ones should be balanced against the hull heal and shield heal ones. The plasma ones have always completely outperformed the other two by several orders of magnitude.

You have a point but, Broken or working as intended, everyone who upgraded theirs during the event has every right to be totally pissed, feel cheated and complain as they just spent a shed load of dil, ec and money on making these go epic, only to find out the day the event ends those consoles are not only getting a nerf bat, they are getting a very TRIBBLE BIG NERF BAT. Not only is Crit being disabled, but the base damage of these consoles is also being reduced. Double whammy.
    Now do you think thats fair ? and do you honestly believe it was a honest mistake by Cryptic before this event to omit this detail about the embassy consoles from the Tribble patch notes. I def don't think it was a oversight they knew exactly what they were doing, its how this company operates

If t had been pointed out before this event there would not be such a back lash, people would be annoyed yes but to announce it after a major event. Poor PR poor business decision

If these consoles only had mk xii rating and couldn't be upgraded past this point and Cryptic decided to make this fix to bring them in line with other consoles then fair enough. But people have spent money to get the consoles to Epic and now that investment is being devalued. They did it with people who stocked up on Lohluant pearls from the previous summer event. Money may have been spent in exchange for lobi to store these for the following year. They retired them. Making that investment worthless

Con
    Rip off
    You're
    Playerbase
    Tell Lies
    Ignore
    Cackle maniacally to the bank
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Set aside this nerf because I knew it would happen sooner or later for me and many of my fellow fleet members fun left the building with Delta Rising and since that time it is on an ongoing nosedive.

We wanted a harder more challenging game but not how Cryptic has implemented it, and is continuing to do so.
    Bridger.png
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    For starters, Bort meant for those consoles to crit that hard, and had gone at great length explaining why he had turned their proc into what it is today. At that point, there were simply WAI. The fact that they accidentally didn't crit on CRF was just an oversight that should have been fixed. From Bort's response here, it looks, though, that, even at the time, he knew full well they could never crit on CRF/CSV.

As for 'still free damage', I think I'm probably better off fitting something like a PrtG [EPS] console instead now (that is extra 'free damage' too). The opportunity cost of these consoles is pretty high to begin with: gratuitously slotting 3 of those, unless you're specifically doing a PrtG Science thingy, I fear will no longer be an option for me.

I'll agree that he meant for them to Crit, and for a non-insignificant amount of damage.

However, I don't think they intended for them to Crit as hard as they are. 50, upwards of 100K Crits? That's more than Beam Overload.

No other proc does that much damage - not Phaser, not Tetryon, not Disruptor, etc etc.They completely outclassed all other procs, and I'd even venture forth to say that they outclassed other damage procs combined.

We're getting some conflicting information about the nature of them, however. They were intended to replace the (Dev admittedly) OP Burns. They should have been Critting, under all Energy Weapon effects.

... but yet now, they're including a damage nerf on them?

Just what is their intended range of damage?
    praxi5 wrote: »

I'll agree that he meant for them to Crit, and for a non-insignificant amount of damage.

However, I don't think they intended for them to Crit as hard as they are. 50, upwards of 100K Crits? That's more than Beam Overload.

No other proc does that much damage - not Phaser, not Tetryon, not Disruptor, etc etc.They completely outclassed all other procs, and I'd even venture forth to say that they outclassed other damage procs combined.

We're getting some conflicting information about the nature of them, however. They were intended to replace the (Dev admittedly) OP Burns. They should have been Critting, under all Energy Weapon effects.

... but yet now, they're including a damage nerf on them?

Just what is their intended range of damage?

Vel made another good point elsewhere that the devs are reining in the sci consoles from out-damaging tac consoles. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the devs on that given the damage-centric meta, but its a fair point.
  • darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited August 2015

I agree with you on that. Just like cannons, torpedos and beams all should be capable to put out similar damage numbers. But that balancing should happen way before things go to the live server. Not on the actual game server and not after items have been in game for months and years and people invested a big chunk of dil/ec into buying and upgrading them. It's this constant releasing of unbalanced items/powers, letting it in the game forever only to suddenly nerf the TRIBBLE out of said item that is annoying to most players. People did spend either playingtime or money to earn those consoles. Why should they now spend again to replace those consoles? And those consoles were just fixed a couple of months ago. At what point should i as customer feel safe to buy anything at this point?
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User

Well, if you have the money to donate to Cryptic to hire extra programmers, then by all means.

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$.

Ah i see It is illogical that the money you talking about is flowing to PWE and not into extra programmers. Sure. :dizzy:​​

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$.

Ah i see It is illogical that the money you talking about is flowing to PWE and not into extra programmers. Sure. :dizzy:​​

Bolding and caps locking one billion dollars without any regard for revenue, expenses, the differences between spending capital in the Chinese market versus America, and any other basic and advanced accounting that I'm missing. Just for starters.