test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma Explosion Embassy Consoles - BFAW & Crits

Comments

• supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    shinzon11 wrote: »

Now why wasn't this announced to the community at large prior to the "upgrade" weekend. Now that folks have spent their EC and dil upgrading the consoles news such as this surfaces. In the real world, this would be called fraud. Players should be given all relevant information prior to events so that informed decisions can be made. Personally, I feel cheated!

This is a very valid question that needs a answer, and yes if the decision to nerf these consoles was taken before the event or during then this should have been made public before people spent money taking part in the event.

this patch dropped on friday. the very specific notes reffering to this change was left out of the patch notes "accidentally" right at the start of the upgrade weekend.

EDIT: I'm not buying it.

And you'd be right not to buy it. Cryptic cannot be trusted. And they have lost the right for me to trust them with any of my money again.

I'll still be around playing, invested to much time and money in the past to walk away now but no more funding this game out my pocket until things change.
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    I failed to clarify earlier: This is considered a temporary fix, not a final solution. We hope to be able to restore Crit functionality at a later point in time, when it can be universally applied.

The primary focus with this "temp fix" is to restore player choice, over the short term. If FAW was the only way to benefit from these consoles, then it paints players into a corner on how they need to equip their ship, and load out their boffs. Removing that outlier (until a better fix can be deployed) is how we chose to restore that balanced sense of choice. Now players have a greater opportunity to use the firing modes they want, and still get equivalent benefit from Embassy Consoles as anybody else.

And yes, I can confirm that there was also an additional reduction to the core amount of damage that the procs from these Consoles can dish out. This was not done lightly, but only after serious comparative testing on how these Consoles compare to anything similar that offers damage boosts (primarily Tactical +Dmg consoles, such as those from the Spire).

I recognize that this additional info is not likely to mollify anyone. I just want to make sure that if you're going to be upset about something, make sure you have all available information first.

Here are the patch notes that should have been included in the Tribble Notes, and will be included with the Holodeck Notes when this goes live:

ITEMS:
    Weapon Signature Amplifers/Nullifiers (Embassy Consoles)
    - The plasma explosion procs gained from these consoles is no longer capable of landing a Critical Hit, under any circumstances.
    - The damage of the plasma explosion procs has also been reduced by approximately 25%

So just so you understand this, Bort, the reason you get many people angry at the developers on the forums... or on Reddit, or on your Twitters is because of things like this.

Here is effectively what you said with this change:

"We dont have the time or the inclination to make this work properly across all situations, so we are going to break the one situation where it does work. Oh and were gonna lower the over all damage because reasons."

And then you leave it out of the patch notes (accidentally, or other wise) after a weenkend event dedicated to upgrading gear, where people are more than like going to spend copious amounts of dilithium, zen and real cash in order to upgrade these very consoles.

And... though I cant say this for sure... but if any other developer at any other game development studio suggested to break something that is otherwise working as intended as a solution to not being able to get it working over all would be laughed out of the office...
    ​​
    7NGGeUP.png

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    So just so you understand this, Bort, the reason you get many people angry at the developers on the forums... or on Reddit, or on your Twitters is because of things like this.

Here is effectively what you said with this change:

"We dont have the time or the inclination to make this work properly across all situations, so we are going to break the one situation where it does work. Oh and were gonna lower the over all damage because reasons."

And then you leave it out of the patch notes (accidentally, or other wise) after a weenkend event dedicated to upgrading gear, where people are more than like going to spend copious amounts of dilithium, zen and real cash in order to upgrade these very consoles.

And... though I cant say this for sure... but if any other developer at any other game development studio suggested to break something that is otherwise working as intended as a solution to not being able to get it working over all would be laughed out of the office...
    ​​

^^ Got nothing to add, and I agree with it all. Just QFT!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • posnamesystemposnamesystem Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    After being scoffed at for months for not doing enough dps because I used cannons, I finally switched to the bandwagon, cookie-cutter, no imagination, FaW build. I invested heavily into beams, the embassy consoles, upgrades to both and doffs. Over a two day span, I went from around 10k dps to 34k as my personal record and cleaned out my EC, upgrades and dilithium converting multiple toons to boring, I mean beam builds. All that said, I still think this is an awesome change.

Since they refuse to bring cannons up, bringing beams down a peg (or twelve) suits me fine too...

nelson-haha.gif indeed
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And if I ever wise up fast enough, one thing *I* am not buying is the new Sci Research Lab consoles (and making them Epic). Fool me once, and all that.

They were already nerfed and they're pretty meh anyway EXCEPT if you're a science captain looking for essentially a MK XII and a XK XIV console rolled into one (Part+flow or Part+Grav being 2 good combos). 25% to get a 6% boost to damage when using heals or exotic damage. You might be able to stack on the heals side of things, but given the cooldown times of exotic damage, one would have to get lucky to stack those the 5 times.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I failed to clarify earlier: This is considered a temporary fix, not a final solution. We hope to be able to restore Crit functionality at a later point in time, when it can be universally applied.

The primary focus with this "temp fix" is to restore player choice, over the short term. If FAW was the only way to benefit from these consoles, then it paints players into a corner on how they need to equip their ship, and load out their boffs. Removing that outlier (until a better fix can be deployed) is how we chose to restore that balanced sense of choice. Now players have a greater opportunity to use the firing modes they want, and still get equivalent benefit from Embassy Consoles as anybody else.

Leave it to Cryptic to apply such broken logic. Since it only works properly with one ability, we'll nerf that so that it's now universally broken.

Let me propose an alternate way of looking at the issue. The fact that the consoles do work correctly with BFAW means that players have a method to get around the bug temporarily. There is nothing to keep us from using FAW until the fix is applied and then changing our load out. If you're going to go with a temporary fix, why take out the one method that actually works.

You haven't temporarily fixed anything, you temporarily broke everything.

It's probably for the best though, I think I needed this final straw to just finally be done with this backward game all together. Decisions like this are infuriating, you guys always side first with taking away from the player and it's absolute horse TRIBBLE.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps

The Truth.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

Leave it to Cryptic to apply such broken logic. Since it only works properly with one ability, we'll nerf that so that it's now universally broken.

Let me propose an alternate way of looking at the issue. The fact that the consoles do work correctly with BFAW means that players have a method to get around the bug temporarily. There is nothing to keep us from using FAW until the fix is applied and then changing our load out. If you're going to go with a temporary fix, why take out the one method that actually works.

It's probably for the best though, I think I needed this final straw to just finally be done with this backward game all together. Decisions like this are infuriating, you guys always side first with taking away from the player and it's absolute horse TRIBBLE.

Can someone enlighten me as to why they need all this over-the-top DPS? There is so much DPS in the game already that you don't really need this crutch to complete anything.

Also, you can all just go back to using cannons since they still work fine. There is a very smart post out there about how cannons actually deliver more damage than FAW boats firing at everything they see.
  • arion08arion08 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The problem here its not the dps loss but resource loss.
    lucho80 wrote: »

Can someone enlighten me as to why they need all this over-the-top DPS? There is so much DPS in the game already that you don't really need this crutch to complete anything.

Also, you can all just go back to using cannons since they still work fine. There is a very smart post out there about how cannons actually deliver more damage than FAW boats firing at everything they see.

The problem here its not the dps loss but resource loss. If anyone did this in real life i would call it a scam. U buy a 4 rooms house and after 1 month someone come and say they will take 2 rooms from you ... yeah ...
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    There is a simple solution here, then. Remove crits, buff the damage to make up for it (since when the first version of explosions hit tribble, you talked specifically about crits making up for the lessened damage of these consoles). I get it if the software engineer's time is needed elsewhere, but I wouldn't think that merely changing the base damage value of this console would be nearly as time consuming.

I'll co-sign here, since if you're going to temporarily take out crits then its best if you at least threw something of a temporary bone in return.​​
    Post edited by spyralpegacyon on
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • fj42fj42 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Here's the worst part about this. The 25% drop in net damage ignoring the crits means that this makes everyone worse across the board.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You people are messed up in the heads, and I don't mean Cryptic here.
    I think we can all agree about Cryptic's shoddy worksmanship, lack of testing, lack of care or lack of general respect for their playerbase. I think most of us have seen more than enough evidence of that. I mean, saying that they're unable to allocate resources to fixing an improtant bug even now, many months after it was released broken on Holodeck is just LOL :D I have no words for that, really...

However, all of you saying that they should leave the broken item work in a broken manner until all the other places it's bugged for (which will happen on the 30-th of February in Neveryear from what I can gather in this thread) just because you happen to benefit from the certain gameplay that is suposedly not bugged it's just so unbeliveably shortsighted and selfish that it's actually pretty pathetic. So, in essence, you're arguing that for ex. my 10$ should be worth less then your 10$ just because of a legitimate gameplay choice I made, instead of our 10$ having the same value across the board even though it would mean someone giving up on something.
    Yes, the blame clearly falls on Cryptic for releasing broken stuff, for keeping broken stuff on Holodeck for ages, for maintaining the "test" server only for lulz. Especially for giving up from a proper fix to this issue for the time being. But knowing all of that and who we're dealing with here, you're essentialy saying that - your 10$ should be more valuable then my 10$ because *reasons*. And don't tell me you didn't know who we're dealing with. Is what happened fair? No, it's not. But saying that it's better to keep this as it is now untill it's fixed (which can be somewhere between tommorow and never, as things stand) and shoehorn everyone in the game into using beams and FAW for the time being due to the enormous advantages is unbeliveably selfish.
    I just don't get this playerbase. *shrugs*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    However, all of you saying that they should leave the broken item work in a broken manner until all the other places it's bugged for

The plasma explosions were SUPPOSED to crit in FAW. That was intended.

They are supposed to also crit under other circumstances, but dont.

So by making them not crit under FAW they are taking a partially working item... and making it a completely broken item.

Also they are lowing the over all damage the consoles do... because reasons...

​​
    7NGGeUP.png

• h2o4dph2o4dp Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    You people are messed up in the heads, and I don't mean Cryptic here.
    I think we can all agree about Cryptic's shoddy worksmanship, lack of testing, lack of care or lack of general respect for their playerbase. I think most of us have seen more than enough evidence of that. I mean, saying that they're unable to allocate resources to fixing an improtant bug even now, many months after it was released broken on Holodeck is just LOL :D I have no words for that, really...

However, all of you saying that they should leave the broken item work in a broken manner until all the other places it's bugged for (which will happen on the 30-th of February in Neveryear from what I can gather in this thread) just because you happen to benefit from the certain gameplay that is suposedly not bugged it's just so unbeliveably shortsighted and selfish that it's actually pretty pathetic. So, in essence, you're arguing that for ex. my 10$ should be worth less then your 10$ just because of a legitimate gameplay choice I made, instead of our 10$ having the same value across the board even though it would mean someone giving up on something.
    Yes, the blame clearly falls on Cryptic for releasing broken stuff, for keeping broken stuff on Holodeck for ages, for maintaining the "test" server only for lulz. Especially for giving up from a proper fix to this issue for the time being. But knowing all of that and who we're dealing with here, you're essentialy saying that - your 10$ should be more valuable then my 10$ because *reasons*. And don't tell me you didn't know who we're dealing with. Is what happened fair? No, it's not. But saying that it's better to keep this as it is now untill it's fixed (which can be somewhere between tommorow and never, as things stand) and shoehorn everyone in the game into using beams and FAW for the time being due to the enormous advantages is unbeliveably selfish.
    I just don't get this playerbase. *shrugs*

I think you're confusing the terms "broken" and "working as intended".

So by making them not crit under FAW they are taking a partially working item... and making it a completely broken item.

Uhm...that's exactly what I said? *scratches head* :confused:
    Where our opinions differ is that I agree that if they're unable to fix the item in question, it's more fair to be equally broken for everyone that to give a portion of the playerbase unfair advantages over the rest just because a legitimate gameplay choice they've made. So in terms of being unable to fix it for now, they've made the better choice IMHO.
    I don't think the solution is ideal nor the fact that they can't spare resources to focus on this after so much time is acceptable to me, but hey, once again - it's Cryptic we're dealing with here. I'm honestly suprised that anyone else is suprised. :astonished:
    HQroeLu.jpg
    h2o4dp wrote: »
    I think you're confusing the terms "broken" and "working as intended".

Let me paraphrase: It's WAI in 1/5 of the intended cases. In 4/5 of them it's not. As a whole, the item is broken.
    After they flat out stated that for the time being they're unable to fix it so it would be WAI for the other 4/5 cases, it's better to not WAI in any case whatsoever than to give people that chose 'option 1' 70% more damage potential than people that chose options 2, 3, 4 and 5.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User

Where our opinions differ is that I agree that if they're unable to fix the item in question, it's more fair to be equally broken for everyone that to give a portion of the playerbase unfair advantages over the rest just because a legitimate gameplay choice they've made. So in terms of being unable to fix it for now, they've made the better choice IMHO.
    I don't think the solution is ideal nor the fact that they can't spare resources to focus on this after so much time is acceptable to me, but hey, once again - it's Cryptic we're dealing with here. I'm honestly suprised that anyone else is suprised. :astonished:

they didn't even need to make a choice now. Many players Use Beam boaats since they are better anyway (don't want to insult some of my friends which get High DPS with Cannons or Torps) because 250° Arc beats everything

So everyone knew about this, everyone lived with it. If they want to deactivate crits or try some solutions they can do that on Tribble, Redshirt or other test servers.

Even with the crit not working, there is no reason to reduce the normal Plasma damage too.
    Thats also a legitimate gameplay choice, to use them. Everyone can go to his fleet embassy, look at them and say "no, i don't want that extra DPS" . That doesn't mean that others should also not use it.

Same if someone uses ACC on his weapons instead of CritD or Dmg. I don't see that CritD or Dmg get deleted because players made the choice to use ACC instead.

So instead of breaking something thats not broken they should leave it as it is,(and as it has been for quite some time now without anyone who cared) and work on a solution on Tribble. They can test everything else there so there is no reason, no matter what they say, that they can't do THIS there too.

And even if they restore the Crits. the gameplay choice of using or not using those console remains. players who use them will still have more DPS than Players who don't. There are good and bad decisions. No reason to turn a good one into a bad one

• jackmorgan1149jackmorgan1149 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    I don't think they were wai. There's a little bit of double-speak going on, yeah?

And yes, I can confirm that there was also an additional reduction to the core amount of damage that the procs from these Consoles can dish out. This was not done lightly, but only after serious comparative testing on how these Consoles compare to anything similar that offers damage boosts (primarily Tactical +Dmg consoles, such as those from the Spire).

I like the change. I think they're trying to spin it, when they should really just come out with it. Just kicking a console while it's down?

I get why folks are mad.

I am astonished also, and not by your passive-agresive tone. U basically say that all player base should just shut up ... as ...its Cryptic we are talking about ... so u whine about players whining ... *scratches head*
    edited August 2015
    they didn't even need to make a choice now...

True, they needed to make that choice the moment they realized it's bugged months ago. I refuse to believe that they picked up this just now. But they didn't make this choice back then, because...Cryptic!
    Even with the crit not working, there is no reason to reduce the normal Plasma damage too.

Beats me why they did this one. But then again, I've given up on trying to understand Cryptic's logic ages ago.

Same if someone uses ACC on his weapons instead of CritD or Dmg. I don't see that CritD or Dmg get deleted because players made the choice to use ACC instead.

Your comparison is faulty. Selecting ACC over CritD is a legitimate choice. Having that ACC for ex. give 50% more accuracy to beams then it gives to turrets is what's actually happening here.
    So instead of breaking something thats not broken they should leave it as it is,(and as it has been for quite some time now without anyone who cared) and work on a solution on Tribble. They can test everything else there so there is no reason, no matter what they say, that they can't do THIS there too.

I can't agree with this. I can agree on the basic premise of not breaking something that's not broken and fixing something that is, but after they said they can't fix it for the time being it's better to have it broken all across the board rather than punishing the rest of the playerbase.
    Cryptic definitely dropped the ball here, I'm not trying to justify them. The "solution" they've implemented is laughable, actually. But I consider it the less of two evils as things stand.
    And even if they restore the Crits. the gameplay choice of using or not using those console remains. players who use them will still have more DPS than Players who don't. There are good and bad decisions. No reason to turn a good one into a bad one

It's ok if the choice is wheather to use the consoles or not use them at all. It's not ok if my beam cruiser gains 70% more DPS potential then my cannon raptor, because *reasons*, after I put the equal ammount of effort and resources for the same consoles for both ships.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    arion08 wrote: »
    I am astonished also, and not by your passive-agresive tone. U basically say that all player base should just shut up ... as ...its Cryptic we are talking about ... so u whine about players whining ... *scratches head*

Do tell me where I said that players should shut up? Stop putting words in my mouth and either back up your claim with actuall evidence or shut up for real this time.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    deokkent wrote: »
    PvPers are so gonna take the hit/heat for this. They should hide. Or leave the game.

Oh, I get it. PvPers are the scape goat.

No EMOJ, just the facts: people screamed for a nerf, and 8 pages later, they got their wish -- severely so, even: the consoles are now utterly worthless.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

It was stated in the thread you're alluding to, and I will re-state it here, again.

The problem was never the fact that these consoles could Crit, it was a matter of how hard they Crit.

This solution isn't desirable for anyone. I sincerely believe that they should have fixed it so that it properly Crit under effects other than FAW, but reduced the Crit values themselves.

Regardless, you are blindly just exaggerating - the consoles are far from worthless. You're still getting free damage from a console whose modifier you'd likely use even without it (Flow and PrtG). It's not as much free damage, but it is still free damage.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    i may be jaded, but this nerf 'coincidentally' hitting at the tail end of an upgrade event and at the same time as the new lab sci consoles it pretty suss.
    it sure makes me hesitant to bother upgrading future gear. i reckon the ferengi on drozana should be updated to buy back nerfed garbage consoles.
    sure... i have total faith in cryptic to bother 7H0tNfX.png​​
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    praxi5 wrote: »

It was stated in the thread you're alluding to, and I will re-state it here, again.

The problem was never the fact that these consoles could Crit, it was a matter of how hard they Crit.

I guess I will admit that I don't understand why it gets to crit. It is already a proc in my view (only 2.5% chance per weapon each cycle, I think).

Does the standard plasma burn damage get to crit for extra burn? Does the tetryon shield-stripping proc get to crit for extra damage? How about the radiation damage from bio-molecular disruptor? The physical damage from resonant disruptor? How about the duty officer that grants radiation damage from charged particle burst? Does that damage get to crit? Do the Dyson shield-refrequencers get to crit for extra shield heal or proton damage?

I honestly don't know if they do or not, so if anyone can answer, please do.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

Crits were disabled in order to bring parity, and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included). If we had all the time in the world, we'd make it so these powers had the opportunity to land a Critical Hit regardless of your firing mode. But that is not the reality in which we live.

That's not really an excuse. That's what I'd call a cop out. You keep prioritising Ship bundles over these basic mechanic's fixes, but if there's no-one left to buy the ships because the mechanics are so damn broken, it's not going to make any money any more. The top brass need to start looking at the longer term picture than chasing short term dollars. Sick of seeing excuses like this.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included).

Because players might be TRIBBLE off with the resources or worse yet the actual money that they sank into these consoles? How about the money sank into building entire ships around these consoles? That is why it was left out. Don't play coy sir.

Ya'll are TRIBBLE the pooch big time, and I say those who are disgusted by this should not log in patch day at all. Maybe, even take it a step further and not log in until this is undone. Lets see the server pop nose dive and see if ya'll still think this was a wise move.

We're thinking time to demand a refund on our end.
    edited August 2015
    arion08 wrote: »

Do tell me where I said that players should shut up? Stop putting words in my mouth and either back up your claim with actuall evidence or shut up for real this time.

Its called "reading between the lines" mate. I did not put words into your mouth but if u cant see were all your text was going then ... wow ... and gain you telling people (me) to shut up ...
    Yeah i get your point but people have different ways to deal with what they consider unjust, some will never say one word some will fight against it. Complaining about people trying to defend their investment in this game whatever if its futile or not and insulting them with funky words like "messed up in the heads" its not ok.

Cryptic messed out badly and the only ones that seem to pay the price are the players. Maybe its futile, maybe its not but it sure beats giving up or being quiet about it. When i the history of man keeping quiet about mistakes made things better ?
    Post edited by arion08 on
  • jotorobojotorobo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Well, well, well, looks like we have another case of fraud by Cryptic...
    ((((((((((((((((((((((SHOCKING)))))))))))))))))))))))))
    This **** is OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

So you say y'all can't fix it because you don't have time. And then you say but it's only temporary and will be restored when fixed? 1 sec my BSometer just blew up. It did give me an error before it erupted in flames though. "Cryptics track record for fixing things"