test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Plasma Explosion Embassy Consoles - BFAW & Crits

Comments

• Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Are there seriously people who thought the nerf train was going to stop after Delta Rising hit? Their intentions should have been clear to everyone a long time ago. They don't want anyone beating elite difficulty or hitting true end game, it reveals how poorly made everything is and hurts their cash flow.
  • Options
    kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I am sad to hear this approach with the biggest console in the game, So many rely on it with there build,s including me.
    There has been so many quick fixes in this game I can not remember the last proper patch :'(
    I hope they reconsider this move and do the right thing !
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Well, if you have the money to donate to Cryptic to hire extra programmers, then by all means.

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$. ​​

lol really? You think Cryptic is a Billion dollar company? Don't you think they could be independent if they had that kind of scratch? Or if you're talking Perfect World...well it's up to them what to do with the money and Cryptic is only a small part with only what is it 3 games under them?

I don't see Cryptic going to PW and asking "Uhh hey...can we have 20 million dollars to hire more personnel? Uhh sure why not? *Tosses Cryptic Devs a large silver briefcase*"
  • Options
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I'd like to think this mess would be a valuable learning experience, especially on patch day when the masses learn of this little fix and the oceans of angry tears will be flooding in around their ankles.

Maybe some intelligent fellow over at Cryptic HQ would click that perhaps further feeding the power creep with broken things they'll be forced to nerf into the ground (or in this case just turn off) might not be the best plan of action?

Who wants to bet now the next toys to come along would be something even more ridiculous? Tell you what, cannons need some TLC so let's see some of them. Fleet issue jumbo cannons with 40% crit and 50% pen as standard, going up to roughly 1000% each after sinking everything you own into upgrading them - including your left arm and firstborn child.

I dunno. Times like this I am very glad I don't bother buying this stuff, but as much as they seem to enjoy punishment I feel a touch of sympathy for those that do.​​

Like I said in another thread...the path to STO DPS

1: Someone finds and or something is recently added that is OP and likely broken way to do insane DPS...
    2: Said thing(s) become popular and people brag about it
    3: People make youtube videos of it and it gets more popular
    4: Everyone under the sun worried about their DPS starts to carbon copy their build
    5: They don't do as good as the top DPS but their DPS goes up with the OP'ness
    6: After months of running rampant usually Cryptic fixes OP stuff
    7: The people who can only do decent DPS with the broken copied gear moan and complain
    8: Said people mentioned in 7 either ragequit or wait for the next broken OP gear wave, thus the cycle stars anew.

The cycle repeats over and over again.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    I failed to clarify earlier: This is considered a temporary fix, not a final solution. We hope to be able to restore Crit functionality at a later point in time, when it can be universally applied.

The primary focus with this "temp fix" is to restore player choice, over the short term. If FAW was the only way to benefit from these consoles, then it paints players into a corner on how they need to equip their ship, and load out their boffs. Removing that outlier (until a better fix can be deployed) is how we chose to restore that balanced sense of choice. Now players have a greater opportunity to use the firing modes they want, and still get equivalent benefit from Embassy Consoles as anybody else.

And yes, I can confirm that there was also an additional reduction to the core amount of damage that the procs from these Consoles can dish out. This was not done lightly, but only after serious comparative testing on how these Consoles compare to anything similar that offers damage boosts (primarily Tactical +Dmg consoles, such as those from the Spire).

I recognize that this additional info is not likely to mollify anyone. I just want to make sure that if you're going to be upset about something, make sure you have all available information first.

Here are the patch notes that should have been included in the Tribble Notes, and will be included with the Holodeck Notes when this goes live:

ITEMS:
    Weapon Signature Amplifers/Nullifiers (Embassy Consoles)
    - The plasma explosion procs gained from these consoles is no longer capable of landing a Critical Hit, under any circumstances.
    - The damage of the plasma explosion procs has also been reduced by approximately 25%
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Just after I bought two of them earlier today as well... Sigh...
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    cepholapoidcepholapoid Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    The PvP FAW TRIBBLE builds are finally brought down a notch, and all I can say is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo. Now all we have to do is take out all the visual lag balony, fix the leggy TRIBBLE servers, and PvP might become slightly more playable. I can see how this will affect PvE, especially some of the elite ques like hive, but I definitely have no issue with this change as a balance pass.
    cI5XEZr.jpg
  • Options
    qwertyuhb2qwertyuhb2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thank you for clarifying Mr. Bort. I hope that these consoles can be restored to functionality with regards to their Critical Hits sooner rather then later, as i use them myself. However, I do appreciate that you guys are trying to push players 'out of the closet', so to speak, with respect to their builds. These changes will have me rethinking my playstyle, and I can improve upon my current build with these changes in mind. I also think that it is important that we all keep an open mind with regards to these changes. While i would love just as much as anyone to have the embassy consoles maintain their current performance for the sake of my DPS, I think it is important that we look at this as being better for the game in the long term, since it will hopefully provide you (Borticus) and the rest of the Dev team a chance to look at the code more closely, and fix it properly this time. Again, thanks for clarifying.
  • Options
    kkirby808kkirby808 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I failed to clarify earlier: This is considered a temporary fix, not a final solution. We hope to be able to restore Crit functionality at a later point in time, when it can be universally applied.

In your earlier post you stated that part of the reason crits were being removed was that there was no time to fix them. If there is no time to work on a fix, how can one eventually be applied? The player base is smart enough to recognize a backpedal and CYOA statement when we see one. Nice try though B for effort.
  • Options
    shinzon11shinzon11 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

Crits were disabled in order to bring parity, and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included). If we had all the time in the world, we'd make it so these powers had the opportunity to land a Critical Hit regardless of your firing mode. But that is not the reality in which we live.

Now why wasn't this announced to the community at large prior to the "upgrade" weekend. Now that folks have spent their EC and dil upgrading the consoles news such as this surfaces. In the real world, this would be called fraud. Players should be given all relevant information prior to events so that informed decisions can be made. Personally, I feel cheated!
  • Options
    daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    primar13 wrote: »

Well, if you have the money to donate to Cryptic to hire extra programmers, then by all means.

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$.

SOURCE! Since Cryptic tends to not release information regarding financials or Staffing.

Source? Nasdaq! You know that Perfect World Co., Ltd. (PWRD) is the "Owner" and that Cryptic don`t need to release any financial informations because they are already aviable for everyone. Called: Stock Quotes.
    Feel free to check Yahoo Finance or any other stock quote service out there.
    ​​
  • Options
    fj42fj42 Member Posts: 39 Arc User

The primary focus with this "temp fix" is to restore player choice, over the short term. If FAW was the only way to benefit from these consoles, then it paints players into a corner on how they need to equip their ship, and load out their boffs. Removing that outlier (until a better fix can be deployed) is how we chose to restore that balanced sense of choice. Now players have a greater opportunity to use the firing modes they want, and still get equivalent benefit from Embassy Consoles as anybody else.

And yes, I can confirm that there was also an additional reduction to the core amount of damage that the procs from these Consoles can dish out. This was not done lightly, but only after serious comparative testing on how these Consoles compare to anything similar that offers damage boosts (primarily Tactical +Dmg consoles, such as those from the Spire).

I recognize that this additional info is not likely to mollify anyone. I just want to make sure that if you're going to be upset about something, make sure you have all available information first.

Here are the patch notes that should have been included in the Tribble Notes, and will be included with the Holodeck Notes when this goes live:

ITEMS:
    - The plasma explosion procs gained from these consoles is no longer capable of landing a Critical Hit, under any circumstances.
    - The damage of the plasma explosion procs has also been reduced by approximately 25%

This is really, REALLY bad after you just did an upgrade weekend. And there's no counter to soften the blow to people who spent time and money on upgrading them. Your timing is horrible, your execution is worse. And you still haven't fixed the primary problem with kinetic and cannons. You don't solve any of the power disparities and you nerfed. This is a bad, bad decision. If shouldn't have been made at all, let alone lightly.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

ITEMS:

is that 25% across the board or scaled into epic? Unupgraded consoles didn't really do much. It's the epic quality ones that went over the top.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Poor excuse for the nerf Bort. If i wanted to play with cannons i would play with cannons, embassy consoles or not. I choose to play with beams as other than the Defiant thats the standard type of weapon a Fed starship uses. It's called immersion.
    But i guess a new fleet holding has just been released with new shiny consoles that Cryptic want to push and seeing as nothing competes with embassy consoles you've "Temp" killed them. I remember a couple of Intel Powers being nerfed shortly after Command ships were introduced. I'm not buying you're BS about wanting to give players more choice. The choice is already in the game which is why we have cannons/dual heavy/turrets/Beams/dual beam banks/Mines and Torpedo's to equip.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    I

ITEMS:

How many times have you guys played with these consoles? It's bad enough that the error that allowed them to over perform when DR went live was allowed to go through to holodeck and remain active for as long as it did. Then the R&D lab consoles over perform, this time making the the plasma doping look insignificant by comparison. Now this change. And why do I get the impression that if this hadn't have been brought to the attention of the player base in general, you guys would have tried to slip it in without so much as a word about it.

When is Cryptic actually going to start beta testing these things properly? so these sort of errors don't make it through to Holodeck in the first place. My faith in Cryptic's ability to do anything right first time is practically none existent any more. I don't mean to sound like an TRIBBLE, but for the love of god guys get it together. If you dont have the time to sort a new item out properly, then hold it back until you can. You'll save yourselves so much back lash from the playerbase.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User

Your open communication with us is highly appreciated Jeremy. Unfortunately there's a general trust issue at play here towards Cryptic's management from the community. We all know what part of the code is involved here and we all know how other known bugs have gone uncorrected for years. It also looks really, really bad making this public just as the upgrade event finished. The in-game chat is boiling over with people who upgraded exactly these consoles during the weekend.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    primar13 wrote: »

Oh please stop this "Cryptic needs money" argumenting because this must be a joke given the fact that you talk about a company with a market cap. of over ONE BILLION US$.

SOURCE! Since Cryptic tends to not release information regarding financials or Staffing.

Source? Nasdaq! You know that Perfect World Co., Ltd. (PWRD) is the "Owner" and that Cryptic don`t need to release any financial informations because they are already aviable for everyone. Called: Stock Quotes.
    Feel free to check Yahoo Finance or any other stock quote service out there.
    ​​

So? Like I said Cryptic is only a small part of PW...it's not like they can just go up to the owner and bum a couple million dollars.

Activision Blizzard is worth 18 and a half times that and yet they can't even put out a decent mmo anymore, they only got 2 *major* patches for the latest expansion and one of them the devs even joked about it being able to fit in a minor patch.

Nor do they have any many games under them as PW does...so if anyone is to blame for not having the money to hire more devs...it's the big wigs of said companies.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    deokkent wrote: »
    PvPers are so gonna take the hit/heat for this. They should hide. Or leave the game.

Oh, I get it. PvPers are the scape goat.

No EMOJ, just the facts: people screamed for a nerf, and 8 pages later, they got their wish -- severely so, even: the consoles are now utterly worthless.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    You know the only way to really fix this right ?

Stop giving them money. Don't buy Zen, don't buy these new ships that nobody wants, keep the wallets closed. Then and ONLY then might they stand up and take a little bit of notice.

I am all for pouring money into the game I "Used" to love but it needs to be in a playable state for me to do that again.

When you consider all the glaring issues facing this game is this nerf really worth spending all this time to fix ?

My mind boggles at what you guys seem to consider priority fixes. Things such as this should be kept for when the game is actually playable.
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    PvPers are so gonna take the hit/heat for this. They should hide. Or leave the game.

No EMOJ, just the facts: people screamed for a nerf, and 8 pages later, they got their wish -- severely so, even: the consoles are now utterly worthless.

So...you really think being able to do a 100k damage with a proc from a easy to obtain console is balanced? (I've asked this a dozen times now at least and never got a answer)
  • Options
    arion08arion08 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I want my MONEY BACK.

WTF ...

I have at least 3 of this epic consoles on at least 8-10 toons. During this event i upgraded 25+ of this consoles, i spent over 350m EC and 500k dil on all of em. And now their power is reduced by 60% ? Come on ... I don't have a cow that i can milk for resources ... The explosion was called "working as intended", i waited a few months for any Nerf to come and now this ... why have u waited so long for this Cryptic ? U are now telling me and us that after investing so many resources they are now just ... mehh ... if i knew about this i would have invested in other things.

Ok ... they are not balanced Nerf then to hell but give me back all resources spent. And STOP nerfing things to hell after 1/2 year. 60% its not called a nerf its called "pissing on the players". RESPECT your customers for f*** sake.

IF this happens like it has been announced i am done with this game.
    Post edited by arion08 on
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    snipey47a wrote: »
    Apart from upsetting a large portion of the player base who have put a significant amount of resources into these consoles, you intentionally break the weapon buff that is currently working correctly!

#1 - You still get more DPS that without the consoles and anyway, the Plasma ones severely outperformed the benefits of all other Fleet science consoles.

#2 - This actually will make PvP bearable again. One less thing I have to worry about.

#3 - nelson-haha.gif

P.S. I use the shield heal variant of these. Glad I don't have to worry about massive bleed through damage anymore. If they were really balanced, having 5 plasma versions versus 5 hull heal ones (all other skills being equal) would mean one wouldn't outperform the other. A single hit from the plasma ones pretty much negated any benefit from the other types.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

So...you really think being able to do a 100k damage with a proc from a easy to obtain console is balanced? (I've asked this a dozen times now at least and never got a answer)

Me?! 100k?! Only in my dreams. :P I only got about 2-4k extra DPS from them, per console.

As for balanced, they were once OP. Then Bort said he fixed them, and deliberately chose their current proc. After that, I figured they wouldn't get nerfed any further, as, after all, they'd already received their balance pass, right?! Plus, I figured, if everyone uses them, where's the alleged unbalance?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    shinzon11 wrote: »

Now why wasn't this announced to the community at large prior to the "upgrade" weekend. Now that folks have spent their EC and dil upgrading the consoles news such as this surfaces. In the real world, this would be called fraud. Players should be given all relevant information prior to events so that informed decisions can be made. Personally, I feel cheated!

This is a very valid question that needs a answer, and yes if the decision to nerf these consoles was taken before the event or during then this should have been made public before people spent money taking part in the event.

Once again you have taken peoples money with open arms only to bite them in the TRIBBLE.

Cryptic you may provide the product, but its us the paying customer that keeps the doors open, and funds this product. Time to show you're customers a little bit of respect.
  • Options
    xbpathfinderxbpathfinder Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    ...Why cryptic
    100k Dps Member =) Flying in space is great! When there is no lag...
    dps.shivtr.com/
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    sqwished wrote: »
    When is Cryptic actually going to start beta testing these things properly? so these sort of errors don't make it through to Holodeck in the first place.
    HAHAHAhahaha...

Live IS beta testing. Remember - a dev flat out said that they don't care about our input on Tribble and it all gets ignored. So Live/Holodeck is the first time anyone actually looks at player input.

Also, Bort, really, really scummy of you to make this change after the Upgrade Weekend when you KNEW that a lot of people were spending EC/Dil/Zen to upgrade things, especially this console.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited August 2015
    shinzon11 wrote: »

This is a very valid question that needs a answer, and yes if the decision to nerf these consoles was taken before the event or during then this should have been made public before people spent money taking part in the event.

this patch dropped on friday. the very specific notes reffering to this change was left out of the patch notes "accidentally" right at the start of the upgrade weekend.

EDIT: I'm not buying it.

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

ITEMS:

Frankly, I welcome the change. It feels wrong that the hull heal and shield heal variants did nothing to counter the effects of someone using the plasma ones since just one hit was landing 25K-35K or more of direct to hull damage.
  • Options
    this patch dropped on friday. the very specific notes reffering to this change was left out of the patch notes "accidentally" right at the start of the upgrade weekend.

EDIT: I'm not buying it.

And if I ever wise up fast enough, one thing *I* am not buying is the new Sci Research Lab consoles (and making them Epic). Fool me once, and all that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg