test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Plasma Explosion Embassy Consoles - BFAW & Crits

Hi,

Although not mentioned in the current tribble notes, we have noticed that critical hits have been disabled with Beam Fire at Will on the Plasma explosion consoles. Our initial (and I admit limited testing) shows that overall attack effectiveness is reduced anywhere between 55% and 70% based on the current holodeck builds for that individual attack.

I understand that currently the explosion console proc and crits are only WAI on BFAW. Therefore, I have to ask why is this being disabled just because they do not crit with any type of beam and cannon buff? Apart from upsetting a large portion of the player base who have put a significant amount of resources into these consoles, you intentionally break the weapon buff that is currently working correctly!

As I understand it, there is the intention to fix them so they crit with everything, however, there are many players that believe this will never happen. Or at the very least will not happen any time soon. If your intention is to push the player base toward the Lab consoles, please bare in mind that these require a completely different activation method not optimized for many tactical ship builds and bridge officer layouts and they just received a ~40% nerf in the last patch.

It is of my humble opinion that this change is completely unnecessary. Fundamentally, this change does:

1) Not addressing what is currently broken
2) Breaks something that is WAI
3) Not address the core issues from a PVP standpoint of an energy attack that does not reduce damage over distance and is 100% shield penetrating

Respectfully, all this change will do is extremely upset a large number of players. If you can see the rhetoric spoken in many channels you would see where I am coming from. A small majority accept the change, those in the PVP crowd see it as a temporary respite only seeing as what is wrong with the proc at its core hasn't changed, many more are extremely annoyed and some are even talking about quitting the game over this decision.

If this is not your intention, it would be helpful if you could communicate your final goal for these consoles. You would have a tonne of metrics on BFAW by now, was the change from Plasma burn (doping) achieved from your viewpoint? Is the 50-60k DPS we are seeing with BFAW and these console acceptable to you? These and other things you have to say about these consoles that you can share will be well received by the community if your decision to proceed as you have on tribble can be understood should they be a part of a bigger plan.

Please don't silently break a WAI state without some kind of communication with us. As you can see from recent posts (one large and highly visible one started by me), the community isn't in the best mood right now and I fear any move by you on these consoles that the player base does not understand will push many people to the tipping point.

I hope this is well received and understood.

Regards,

Snipey47a

Comments

• Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

Crits were disabled in order to bring parity, and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included). If we had all the time in the world, we'd make it so these powers had the opportunity to land a Critical Hit regardless of your firing mode. But that is not the reality in which we live.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    So really, these consoles are now worthless cause it's too hard to fix. Whoops, soz!

Would it not be worthwhile, in future, to make the consoles work before releasing them? Then you don't need to worry about rebuild time, cause they won't be broken.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Well, in all fairness, that does make it more fair. So long dental plan.

(Now to sit back and wait on the cries of 'Nerf'.)
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    That is some serious BS, now you guys are creating bugs because you can't be bothered to fix them. More and more reason day by day to quit this game.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    Thank you for your prompt response, Borticus.

All I can ask is that you please consider what I have said because it will upset a lot of people. I can understand you wanting to bring parity to the ability, however, it has been like this for many months now and people on the PVE side has structured their builds completely around it. While this will make some PVP'ers happy in the short term, it doesn't address the fundamental issues of balance across the game's spectrum.

I understand that you are resource poor right now and I'm sure the community would understand that IF the status quo was maintained. Anyway, I hope you guys take a look at this course of action again and truly consider the magnitude of such a move to the player community.

Snipey47a
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This way of "fixing" the crit issue of the consoles makes me truly sad. Many of us have invested serious time and resources in this game in an attempt to perfect our builds...and this kind "fix" is a punch in the gut.

I hope you will reconsider this approach. I agree that many will be truly upset by this.

• Options
    eionpeionp Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    why not just increase the non-critical damage of the consoles as well so we don't lose dps?

People have spent months slowly improving their ships buying this and that and farming endlessly and you're going to pull the rug out from under them with this

totally unnecessary too, cannon users and torpedo users werent balanced in the first place with beam users and represent a much smaller group. is parity for this small group worth angering your most dedicated players?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    john98837 wrote: »
    That is some serious BS, now you guys are creating bugs because you can't be bothered to fix them. More and more reason day by day to quit this game.

What bug are they creating? They're fixing a OP console which only was OP on the affect of one weapon buff...the one that rules them all...the all might FaW.

They fixed a bug by eliminating it critting for only one weapon buff...maybe not the fix you'd like but a fix none the less.

It never ceases to amaze me...some player discovers a broken OP way to inflate their dps...everyone migrates to it...it eventually gets fixed...and people complain up a storm because their broken OP crutch that they used to get decent DPS numbers is taken away.

It has happened many times before...it happened even before I played the game...and it's probably going to happen again...maybe people need to learn how to play better instead of just jumping on the exploit broken mechanics bandwagon every time something broken is discovered...best way not to get nerfed ;)
  • Options
    tkrystkrys Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Well, this pretty much answers whether or not I'm going to invest in the new Research Lab consoles.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

What bug are they creating? They're fixing a OP console which only was OP on the affect of one weapon buff...the one that rules them all...the all might FaW.

They were working as intended with faw, but because they are incapable or unwilling to make them work as intended with everything else they are breaking them with faw. That is creating bugs.
  • Options

They were working as intended with faw, but because they are incapable or unwilling to make them work as intended with everything else they are breaking them with faw. That is creating bugs.

WAI? Lets see...why were the plasma consoles changed in the first place? Because people were plasma doping to get big numbers...then they changed these consoles and only crit with FaW...doing even more damage than plasma doping...yeah...really WAI.
  • Options

Well, if you have the money to donate to Cryptic to hire extra programmers, then by all means.
  • Options

They fixed a bug by eliminating it critting for only one weapon buff...maybe not the fix you'd like but a fix none the less.

It never ceases to amaze me...some player discovers a broken OP way to inflate their dps...everyone migrates to it...it eventually gets fixed...and people complain up a storm because their broken OP crutch that they used to get decent DPS numbers is taken away.

It has happened many times before...it happened even before I played the game...and it's probably going to happen again...maybe people need to learn how to play better instead of just jumping on the exploit broken mechanics bandwagon every time something broken is discovered...best way not to get nerfed ;)

But if their intention is to bring back everything crit'ing, why not leave the status quo until then?
  • Options

Except this was the fix to the embassy consoles. They have already been fixed to the plasma explosion from plasma fire. Were you unaware of this? So, the way the console works now was actually the compromise from how it worked before. Except now, it's being busted again. Do keep up :wink:

• Options

WAI? Lets see...why were the plasma consoles changed in the first place? Because people were plasma doping to get big numbers...then they changed these consoles and only crit with FaW...doing even more damage than plasma doping...yeah...really WAI.

Try to know wtf your talking about before you open your mouth. Borticus himself said they should be critting with everything, the only reason they are getting nerfed with bfaw is because they can't be bothered to make them crit with everything like they should.
  • Options
    tkrys wrote: »
    Well, this pretty much answers whether or not I'm going to invest in the new Research Lab consoles.

For a tac, the research lab consoles won't be a replacement. Maybe on a heal heavy sci or engy.
  • Options
    snipey47a wrote: »

But if their intention is to bring back everything crit'ing, why not leave the status quo until then?

As an educated guess, I'd say because the lack of balance was having a significant effect on PvP and usage of FAW.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I'm curious to see if this change will bring more build diversity since it is now placing energy weapons in a more even footing with each other.

Even with this temporary "nerf" I do not see the new research consoles at par with these.

I am open towards this change. However, I have to admit I am somewhat biased because I have never gained much from these plasma explosions.

I am open to the change because I want to see if we'll get a resurgence of other builds other than BFAW. I hope to see more cannons and canon builds.

If parity will bring more build diversity then so be it.
  • Options
    tkrystkrys Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    snipey47a wrote: »
    tkrys wrote: »

For a tac, the research lab consoles won't be a replacement. Maybe on a heal heavy sci or engy.
    The loss of ability to critical with bfaw is going to put a serious dent in their effectiveness, especially for those of us with ~25% or better crit chance, regardless of profession path. I'm an Engineer with 24.3% CrtH and 118.9% CrtD, so I'm taking just as serious a hit as any tac captain is (outside of the extremely broken 30%+ Romulans).
  • Options
    plvoyplvoy Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Wait, does this mean the Tulwar builds are useless again? Why would you chose to disable a working feature in order to bring "parity" just because there is no time for fixing it on Cannons?

I beg you folks to take a step back and start fixing issues... put new releases on hold and allocate time to fixing things. No one wants the uber T6 Defiant and more gadgets that wont work properly. I just had yet another horrible Infected run where nothing would work. That is a steady state since January. It is plain unacceptable for your standards and your customers.
    =/\= Redacted =/\=
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    After reading this.... I am Definitely watching the Show Tonight!
  • Options
    captrod71captrod71 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    i dont think the problem is whether a particular console is "OP" or an ability makes it that way. its the time and invest placed on builds by the dedicated players have done over the last several months while it was well known by the DEVs and/or cryptic what the underlying issue has been all this time. it is wrong for them to do such a thing now after they have "squeezed" endless dill, zen and money from these players and now have new consoles to do the same as with the embassy consoles. Don't take out the frustrations we have on each other when we know where it should be placed. yes these consoles should be made correctly the first time they reach holodeck or corrected right away instead of 1,2 or 3 years later when there isnt as much profit coming in anymore.

this is just my thoughts on where the real issue is.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Thank you Bort for clarifying why we should not be spending Real Life money on this game when you guys are too lazy or incompetent to fix bugs you introduced, and instead of fixing the bugs you make a paying customers acquisition worthless and devalued. So can i have the money i spent this weekend to buy ZEN to convert dil to take advantage of the upgrade event refunded as you just made my purchase worthless.

Hum cynical side of me starts to think that maybe these changes are to drum up sales for the new Research consoles. Why shortly after Command Tree and Ships got released we saw a nerf to some Intel powers
    Post edited by supergirl1611 on
  • Options
    Short version: Because it can't work the other way. Not with the time our software engineers have to spend on rebuilding powers of this nature.

Crits were disabled in order to bring parity, and there should definitely have been a patch note (I'm investigating why it may not have been included). If we had all the time in the world, we'd make it so these powers had the opportunity to land a Critical Hit regardless of your firing mode. But that is not the reality in which we live.

Really wish I could say this to clients and customers in my job. Sorry, can't fix that trade on your pension, it'll just take too long. Oh, to make it fair, I've taken some money out your general investments, to balance it all up. Have a good one!
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    Well I am not happy given that I purchased and upgraded 45 of these consoles to Epic 14 this weekend.
    That is a HELL of alot of Dil / EC / FC down the drain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    If you think this was only having an effect on PvP, you're being daft

It's having deleterious effects on PvE, too. Strings of massive Crits are not balanced, and they will only lead to even bigger HP values on NPCs in the future.
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Personally, I am happy anytime abused mechanics get balanced. Getting a crit on plasma damage doesn't seem to be the intended effect of those consoles.

Here is how I see the major argument against this decision:
    If you can't get a crit, the consoles are not worth it.

That doesn't sound like a good defense for the status quo. I agree that fixing the plasma crit chance for everything would have been preferred. Given that Bort has removed that as a viable option, I prefer this fix to the status quo.
  • Options
    mmps1 wrote: »

Except this was the fix to the embassy consoles. They have already been fixed to the plasma explosion from plasma fire. Were you unaware of this? So, the way the console works now was actually the compromise from how it worked before. Except now, it's being busted again. Do keep up :wink:

Yeah...still doesn't negate the fact that the fix is even worse than the problem it *fixed*...that for a simple proc it was rampantly over powered...plus it could be stacked...where plasma doping required you to use this console and specific damage consoles all you have to do is stack a few of these...but you know what...

I'm sorry...I'm completely wrong...I'm sorry that your 50 - 100k crits from a single console which is easy obtainable are gone...I'm sorry that many of you wont be able to stand without your crutch.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Yikes. So, all those consoles got a 70% nerf, just like that?! Would it surprise you to learn that this upsets me?! You already fixed them before, and it's only after that, that I started making mine all Epic.

I was inclined to blame the poster who started this whole 'I want plasma consoles nerfed', but, in all fairness, I don't think even he had this in mind.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps
    Had these consoles been designed and intended to not crit, then I'd understand this change. The issue is, these consoles were INTENDED to crit with everything. Removing the ability for them to crit with FAW, when that was working as it was designed and intended to, is going about this in a terrible way.
    plvoy wrote: »
    Wait, does this mean the Tulwar builds are useless again?

Yes, the Tactical Scimitar will return to being the top DPS ship.
    ffluoti63bi9.png